The MG TA Midget appeared in the spring of 1936 as a replacement for the MG PB. It featured many components borrowed from Morris. Channel sections replaced the tubular cross-members making the vehicles ride more comfortable. The suspension was provided by leaf springs and beam-axle in the front and rear. The brakes were hydraulically operated drums, a first for MG. The body shell was assembled around the MG traditional way of using a wooden frame. All this added up to a total weight of 1,765 pounds.
A 1292 cc, overhead-valve, pushrod, four-cylinder engine was placed in the front and powered the rear wheels. Outfitted with dual horizontal SU carburetors, the engine produced 50 horsepower. The four-speed manual gearbox was synchromesh, another first for MG.
When first introduced, the two-seater vehicle could be purchased in open and closed configuration. Later, the open coupe, referred to as an Airline Coupe, was replaced with a Drophead style. The Drophead used a soft-top that could open and close depending on the driver and the weather conditions.
In 1939 World War II was beginning. MG was introducing its latest vehicle, the TB Midget. It was basically the same as the TA, but was equipped with a larger, 1250cc, engine. The four-cylinder over-head valve, XPAG power plant was borrowed from the new Morris 10. It produced 45 horsepower and was much more reliable than its predecessor. When the war began, production ceased. MG shifted its focus to creating equipment for military purposes.
At the end of the War, MG introduced the TC Midget. This was essentially a TB with very few modifications. The chassis was modified with rubber bush shackles in place of the sliding trunnion spring mountings. The transmission was the single-plate dry clutch and four-speed synchromesh unit. The engine was the XPAG 1250 cc pushrod engine. It was essential a TB offered in one body style, an open two-seater.
Even though the TC was a rebirth of an old model and used outdated mechanical equipments but modern interior, the TC Midget was very successful. During its four year production run, lasting from 1945 through 1949, more than 10,000 TC's were created.
In 1949, the TC was replaced by the TD Midget. It visually appeared like the previous Midgets, but was very different in mechanical ways. With a new chassis, it was sturdier and provided a comfortable ride. An independent suspension with double wishbones and coil springs were placed in the front. The vehicle was left-hand drive. The engine and transmission were identical to the TC. To comply with newly developed safety concerns and regulations, bumpers were placed on the front and in the rear.
A Mark II version used a more powerful version of the XPAG engine. With larger carburetors and higher compression ratio, the vehicle produced 57 horsepower. The suspension was modified and the interior received bucket seats.
During its four-year production run, the TD experienced even more success than its predecessor. Just like the TC, many of the TD Midgets were exported to the United States.
In 1953, the TD was updated and dubbed the TF. It was given a 1466 cc engine. Production continued through 1955 when it was replaced by the MGA.
Prior to World War I, the future of the company was unknown. Thanks to the success of the TA, the road was paved for MG to continue their prosperous status after the War. The models that followed brought modifications both visually and mechanically. The T-Series, lasting from 1936 through 1955, was a simple and reliable two-seater sports car that was fun to drive. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2005
The 1946 MG TC had a 4-cylinder 1250 cc. engine. It had a ladder frame, solid axle, leaf springs and right-hand drive. The original price was $2,100. There were 1675 cars produced in 1946.
This 1946 MG TC is chassis number 0469 and is an early example of the TC Model. It is number 218 made out of a total production run of 10,000. It has been restored to its date of manufacture, February 14th of 1946, condition and retaining all early features. It has won an AACA First Junior at Hershey Fall Meet in 2006. It won First Senior Award Hershey in 2007 and was nominated for a National Award Hershey in 2007.
It was restored by Tom Metcalf and staff at Safety Fast Restoration in Mansfield, Ohio. It has a 1250cc engine, four-speed on the floor gearbox, two carburetors, fly-off handbrake, an a beautiful body design.
In the mid-1930's the MG factory produced racing MG's along-side street cars including the 1934 Q-Type and the 1935 R-Type. They featured boat tailed coachwork, a lack of opening doors, bucket seats, Brooklands windscreen (in lieu of windshields) leather bonnet straps, cycle fenders and external exhausts.
This is a one-of-a-kind MG model since it was designed and built by the current owner's family. The MG factory 'insomnia crew' built factory race cars during the 1930's, working at all hours in a special area of the factory. This special bodied MG is a recreation in the style of the mid-1930's MG factory produced race cars. The build started with a few pieces that remained from the previous owner's restoration of another MG TC. It was designed and built as an 'S-Type' over a period of five years. All work was performed by the family with the exception of final color paint work.
In 1934 they built 8 MG Q-Types and in 1935 this crew built 10 R-Types, which was a full bore, single seat race car. To fill in and carry on this alphabetic series, the builders of this vehicle constructed it on a 1946 chassis (early car number 0885) to represent what an 'insomnia crew' could do following WWII with the MG TC.
This project was on the bucket list of the 80+ year old builder. Over the 5 year build period, many skills were employed by this pharmacist to bring back this basket case, formally a parts car from another MG TC restorer, to its present state.
The dazzling Grand Palais will once play host Bonhams Grande Marques du Monde sale on 9th February. With lots ranging from the veteran 1900 Benz Ideal 4.5 HP to a brace of modern Bentleys, the sale spans...