Donald Healy introduced the first Healy car at the 1952 Motor Show at Earl's Court in London. Known as the Austin-Healey 100, it was inexpensive and had a successful competition history. In 1956, the engine was increased to six cylinders. Popular in the U.S., the Austin-Healey was marketed from 1959-1968.
Designed by D. Healey and G. Coker, the MKII was the first Healey to have a permanently fixed convertible top, a curved wraparound windshield and pivoting wind windows. It kept the simple dash of the earlier cars, but sported roll-up side windows. Just over 6,000 were built before production of the MKIII 3000 began.
At the time of its arrival in 1959 few would have guessed the low-slung big Healey would triumph over its apparent short-comings so effectively that it now rates as one of the most successful rally cars of the 1960's. The Austin-Healey 3000 is probably the most well known of the 'Big Healey' models and is still in competition via enthusiasts clubs to this day. The 3000, originally to be called the 'Mille Miglia' after the famous race, was powered by a 2919 (almost 3000) twin-carb engine and was available in 2 seater or 4 seater variants.
The current owners have had this car for thirty years. It has been driven extensively and has been featured in several automobile magazines. Much of its restoration was done by the owners.
Sport Convertible Chassis Num: H-BJ7-L/20619 Engine Num: 29F-RU-H/1264
Sold for $49,500 at 2007 RM Sothebys. This 1963 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ7 MKII Sports Convertible was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held in Amelia Island, Florida where it was estimated to sell for $60,000 - $70,000. It was offered without reserve. The car is powered by a 2912cc OHV inline six-cylinder engine capable of producing 131 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and front disc brakes. Over $65,000 had gone into the vehicles restoration and it has been the recipient of many awards at various club and concours events.
The Austin-Healey 3000 MKII BJ7 offered roll-up windows and a wraparound windshield. These improvements did much to heighten the vehicles popularity. Its sporty persona and performance features made the vehicle a success.
This car is mostly original; during the restoration it was treated to a few upgraded such as Lockheed brake servo. It has modern 72-spoke Dayton wheels with Vredestein Sprint Classic radial tires. This was chosen instead of the 48-spoke Dunlop wheels. The exhaust system is stainless steel and the steering wheels is a Moto-Lita unit.
At auction the car did find a new owner, selling for $49,500. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
Sold for $55,000 at 2012 RM Sothebys. The British Motor Corporation held a competition in 1952 to design a new two-seater Austin sports car. One of the individuals that took on the challenge was Donald Healey; his '100' won the competition and the Earl's Court Motor Show prototype was ordered into production. The Healey 100 made its appearance at the 1953 International Motor Show in New York and by this time, was in production at Austin's factory at Longbridge. It had earned the name, the Austin-Healey 100.
The robust yet simple vehicle was reasonably priced at $2,995.
In 1956, the 100-6 was introduced which featured powered from the new Austin Westminster 2,639cc six-cylinder engine, along with jump seats in the back. The final version of the Austin-Healey engine arrived in 1959. It had a 2912cc which precipitated a name change to the Austin-Healey 3000.
Though the Austin-Healey had evolved through several wonderful iterations, the roadster sill had the impractical side curtains. The introduction of the Mark II in 1962 had curved-windshield and windup windows, and 2+2 seating.
This particular example has been driven just 4,640 miles since the restoration work was completed. It is finished in black over red coves with a new red leather interior. It is one of the 6,113 Mark IIs built between 1962 and 1964. The car rides on chrome wire wheels and has a four-speed and overdrive gearbox.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $50,000 - $70,000 and was offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had sold for $55,000 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
Sport Convertible Chassis Num: H-BJ7L/24168 Engine Num: 29F-RU-H5054
Sold for $41,800 at 2015 Bonhams. The Austin-Healey MKII was unveiled in March of 1961 and was given a restyled grille and bonnet intake. This was the last 3000 available as a two-seater. From November of 1961 the Austin-Healey 3000 was equipped with a new gearbox, a development which moved the gear lever to the center of the transmission tunnel. In January of 1962, the twin-carburetor MK II Convertible (also known as the MK IIA) was introduced and brought with it wind-up windows, swiveling quarter-lights and fixed foldaway top. By the time MK II production came to an end in 1963, a total of 5,095 2+2s and 355 two-seaters had been built. The succeeding 3000 MK III was introduced that year.
This Austin-Healey 2+2 left the factory in May 1963 and was sent to the North American market. The car was well-equipped with factory fitted equipment including wire wheels, a heater, adjustable steering column, laminated windscreen, overdrive, a tonneau cover, and the R902T radio.
Later in this car's life it was sent to Japan, where it became part of a Japanese museum collection. Eventually, the 3000 returned to the United States. Currently, it wears an older restoration that was finished in two-tone dark blue over ivory with a contrasting blue vinyl upholstery over red carpets. The car is powered by a 2912cc overhead valve six-cylinder engine fitted with 2 SU carburetors and offering 132 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual transmission with overdrive, front disc brakes, and drums at the rear. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2015
Sold for $77,000 at 2015 RM Sothebys. This Austin-Healey Mark II BJ7 was constructed in April of 1963 and sent to British car distributor J.S. Inskip, of New York City. It remained in single ownership with an individual in North Carolina for nearly 40 years. It remained in storage for the majority of this ownership, and was later restored back to its original Colorado over red with white piping color combination. The restoration work took nearly five years, at a cost surpassing $100,000. After the work was completed, it made its restoration debut at the Austin-Healey Club Conclave in Hot Springs, Virginia in June 2014 where it was awarded entry into the Austin Healey Club of America Concours Registry. The car has accumulated less than 200 miles following its restoration. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2015
The Austin Healey 100 was introduced in October of 1952 at the Earls Court Motor Show. The first Austin Healey 100's were known as 100-4 or BN1. The name 100 came-about by being able to break the 100 mph barrier. The BN also had meaning. The B represented the engine class which meant it had between 2000 and 3000 cc. The N represented the body-style configuration, two-seat and open-top. The 100 was powered by a A90, 2660 cc, four-cylinder engine capable of producing 94 horsepower. The manual three-speed transmission was also borrowed from the A90. However, the first gear was blocked off and was fitted with overdrive on the second and third gears to provide extra power. The name 'Austin Healey' was formed by a partnership comprising of the designer, Donald Mitchell Healey, and the manufacturer, Austin.
During its total production cycle, 10,688 examples of the BN1 were produced.
In October of 1955, the BN2 was introduced. The BN2 was similar to the BN1 in design but now featured larger drum brakes and a new four-speed transmission with overdrive.
During its production run, 3,924 examples of the BN2 were produced.
The Austin Healey 100S was produced in limited numbers, only 55. Their primary purpose was for competing in racing and rally events as well as for development and marketing purposes. They were entered into races such as Sebring, Mille Miglia, and Le Mans. They were copies of special factory test car that Stirling Moss raced in the 1954 12-hour Sebring race where he placed third. The 100S's were produced at the Healey Warwick factory and most were decorated with the American racing colors, white and blue. Of the 55 that were built, only 10 remain unaccounted for. The 100S, when compared with the 100, featured Dunlop disc brakes on all four wheels, different cylinder head and internal engine modifications, four-speed gearbox without overdrive, and a light-alloy body shell.
The 100S was followed by the 100M. The 100M was a Le Mans variation of the BN2 with an increased horsepower rating of 100-110. It featured bigger carburetors and modified distributor. Valve springs and anti-roll bars were added to the suspension. During its production run, 1100 of the Le Mans BN2's were produced.
Over time, about 100 BN2 were later modified but in order to qualify for the Le Mans configuration the vehicles needed to meet specific standards. These standards included a 1.75 inch H6, SU carburetors, cold air box and air tube, Le Mans regulation strap and a factory style louvered hood.
The four cylinder engine was used from 1952 through 1956, after which a BMC six-cylinder engine was used. The car was dubbed the '100 Six'. Three years and a few engine modifications later, the car was named the '3000' and today is known as the 'Big Healey'. Over the production lifespan of the 3000, it could be assembled with multiple options such as a two-seater or 2+2, hard-tops, single or duo-tone paint schemes, overdrive, and more.
In 1962 the body was redesigned with a curved screen and wind up windows. The interior of the vehicle was revamped in 1964 and also received more ground clearance.
The 3000 was produced from 1959 through 1968. The original engine produced 124 horsepower and was capable of about 114 mph. Modifications to the engine throughout the years increased the horsepower to around 148 and the top speed to 121 mph. The size of the car, the power of the engine, and weighing in at around 2400 lbs made this car responsive, competitive and fun to drive.
In all, there were around 73,000 100's and 3000's produced with 58,000 featuring the six-cylinder engine. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006
- Bonhams offer the Arthur Carter Collection, featuring some of the worlds greatest examples from great British marque, Austin-Healey
- Collection includes ONX 113, the ex-Donald Healey, 1953 Austin-Healey...