Sold for $18,700 at 2007 RM Sothebys. The MG TF was only produced for two years 1953-1954 as a stopgap between the MG TD and the MGA. The public reception was very poor. In order to stimulate sales in the US, a 1500cc power plant was introduced in 1954. Only 3,000 such cars were produced with 90% going to the US.
The MG TF is often considered the most desirable by collectors of the T-Series. This example is powered by a four-cylinder engine that displaces 1500cc and capable of producing nearly 65 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. When the MG TF was first introduced, it was powered by a XPAG 1250cc engine but the demands for more power by the consumers brought about the additional 250 cubic-centimeters. The consumers got what they wanted and the resulting vehicle was dubbed the MG TF 1500.
This 1955 MG TF 1500 Roadster has been treated to a frame-off restoration. There are a few imperfections in the paint, as it is an older restoration. The car contains some desirable features such as side curtains, a black top boot, and a rear mounted spare tire. The painted wire wheels and wind wings are also seldom seen features. This example was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held at Meadow Brook where it was offered without reserve and estimated to sell for $18,000 - $25,000. The car was sold for $18,700. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2010
The postwar T-series MGs (the TC, TD and TF) continued with the pre-war traditional British sports car styling of the original TA and TB. The TC was not changed much as MG geared up after the war torn manufacturing infrastructure was rebuilt. The TD and TF were modernized more significantly. The T-series, starting with the TB, used the Morris 10s rugged four-cylinder XP series engine that took performance tuning in its stride. The MG TF 1500 used the last development of the TB's XPAG 1250cc motor, bored out to 1466cc to become the XPEG, and made it 63 horsepower. (The TA used the MPJG motor from the Wolsely 10.) This car is one of only 3400 cars built.
The TF was launched in 1953 as a 'facelifted TD with as sloping grille and the headlamps in the wings.' The following year, 1954, MG offered the TF 1500 - 1500 meaning 1466cc and 63 horsepower at 5500 RPM - using a redesigned XPEG motor. Some 3400 1500s were made before production ceased in 1955 with news of the incoming MGA.
MG revived the TF name in 2002 for its MG F, a mid-engined sports car, which had experienced considerable sales success. MG Rover collapsed in 2005 and production stopped. Bought by the Nanjing Automobile Group the stated plans were to re-launch the TF in September 2008.
Sold for $42,900 at 2010 Gooding & Company. The TF was the final model of MG's popular T-Series. It was a more aggressively-styled version of the TD but built in far smaller number. The TF 1500 model built for the 1955 model year reached production of only 3,4000 cars. The 1500cc engine produced 17-percent more torque than the 1250 of the previous year, thus making the TF more competitive with its sales rival. Fortunes would change the following year, the MG introduced their MGA, bringing a close to the T-series.
This example was found by Princeton University student Bruce Elliott in 1960. The car was brought back to his home in Montana and after completing the trip, the odometer had just 13,000 miles. Years later, the car was put into dry storage, and there it would stay until the mid-1990s.
The car was sold to MG collector Pat Hart of Redmond, Washington. In his care, the car received a new coat of black paint. The current owner purchased the car in 2003.
This is a low mileage TF that still has its original red interior, tools, owners handbook, and various pieces of documentation associated with its history.
In 2010, this MG TF 1500 was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $40,000 - $50,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the lot was sold for the sum of $42,900, inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2010
The MG Car Company got its name from Morris Garages, dealer of Morris cars in Oxford, England, which began producing its own customized versions of Morris automobiles in the 1920s. The postwar T-series MGs continued with the pre-war traditional British sports car styling. The initial TC was not changed much as MG geared up after the war-torn manufacturing infrastructure was rebuilt. The TD and TF were modernized more significantly.
Launched in 1953, the TF was the final model in T-series. It was a more aggressively styled version of the TD but built in far smaller numbers, with production in 1955 reaching only 3,400 cars. The 1466cc engine was matched to a four-speed transmission and produced 63 horsepower.
The current owner of this MG TF completed a two-year body-off restoration, featuring the addition of a period Judson supercharger. The recently completed car made its restoration debut at the 2014 Stan Hywet Concours d'Elegance.
The MG TA Midget appeared in the spring of 1936 as a replacement for the MG PB. It featured many components borrowed from Morris. Channel sections replaced the tubular cross-members making the vehicles ride more comfortable. The suspension was provided by leaf springs and beam-axle in the front and rear. The brakes were hydraulically operated drums, a first for MG. The body shell was assembled around the MG traditional way of using a wooden frame. All this added up to a total weight of 1,765 pounds. A 1292 cc, overhead-valve, pushrod, four-cylinder engine was placed in the front and powered the rear wheels. Outfitted with dual horizontal SU carburetors, the engine produced 50 horsepower. The four-speed manual gearbox was synchromesh, another first for MG.
When first introduced, the two-seater vehicle could be purchased in open and closed configuration. Later, the open coupe, referred to as an Airline Coupe, was replaced with a Drophead style. The Drophead used a soft-top that could open and close depending on the driver and the weather conditions.
In 1939 World War II was beginning. MG was introducing its latest vehicle, the TB Midget. It was basically the same as the TA, but was equipped with a larger, 1250cc, engine. The four-cylinder over-head valve, XPAG power plant was borrowed from the new Morris 10. It produced 45 horsepower and was much more reliable than its predecessor. When the war began, production ceased. MG shifted its focus to creating equipment for military purposes.
At the end of the War, MG introduced the TC Midget. This was essentially a TB with very few modifications. The chassis was modified with rubber bush shackles in place of the sliding trunnion spring mountings. The transmission was the single-plate dry clutch and four-speed synchromesh unit. The engine was the XPAG 1250 cc pushrod engine. It was essential a TB offered in one body style, an open two-seater.
Even though the TC was a rebirth of an old model and used outdated mechanical equipments but modern interior, the TC Midget was very successful. During its four year production run, lasting from 1945 through 1949, more than 10,000 TC's were created.
In 1949, the TC was replaced by the TD Midget. It visually appeared like the previous Midgets, but was very different in mechanical ways. With a new chassis, it was sturdier and provided a comfortable ride. An independent suspension with double wishbones and coil springs were placed in the front. The vehicle was left-hand drive. The engine and transmission were identical to the TC. To comply with newly developed safety concerns and regulations, bumpers were placed on the front and in the rear.
A Mark II version used a more powerful version of the XPAG engine. With larger carburetors and higher compression ratio, the vehicle produced 57 horsepower. The suspension was modified and the interior received bucket seats.
During its four-year production run, the TD experienced even more success than its predecessor. Just like the TC, many of the TD Midgets were exported to the United States.
In 1953, the TD was updated and dubbed the TF. It was given a 1466 cc engine. Production continued through 1955 when it was replaced by the MGA.
Prior to World War I, the future of the company was unknown. Thanks to the success of the TA, the road was paved for MG to continue their prosperous status after the War. The models that followed brought modifications both visually and mechanically. The T-Series, lasting from 1936 through 1955, was a simple and reliable two-seater sports car that was fun to drive. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006