The Porsche 356 was first shown to the public at the 1949 Geneva Motor Show and its aerodynamic and nimble body was well received. The early versions were hand built at the Gmund in Austria. The A was produced until 1959, the B until 1962, and the C until 1965. The 356 was a very popular road car with a racing heritage. There were specially prepared 356 models that were entered into competitive events including the LeMans 24 Hours Race. When first introduced the 356 was powered by a rear mounted 1100 cc engine. Engine options progressed to include the 1300cc, 1500cc, and 1600cc versions. Twin choke Zenith, Solex and Weber carburetors boosted horsepower further.
The 'S' or 'Sport' specification was the only 356 model to be given four-wheel disc brakes, which complemented the 1587 cc engine rather nicely. Top speed was just over 110 mph and with fuel economy being rated at over 30 mph.
The 1964 Porsche 356 SC Coupe finished in white with a black interior was offered for auction at the 2006 Worldwide Group Auction held on Hilton Head Concours. It was expected to sell between $35,000-$45,000. At the conclusion of the auction, the vehicle had been sold for $34,100.
The 1964 Porsche 356 SC Coupe finished in red with a black interior was also offered for sale at the 2006 Worldwide Group Auction. This was expected to sell for the same amount, $35,000-$45,000. It found a new owner at the price of $39,600. This vehicle has a rare manual sunroof, wood-rim steering wheel, and original Blaupunkt radio. The odometer reads just over 77,000 miles. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2015
Sold for $30,250 at 2007 RM Auctions. The Porsche 'C' version was the last of the glorious 356 series. In the eye's of many collectors and enthusiasts, it was the best of the line. It was the most advanced, developed and sophisticated in the series. The problems and shortcomings of the early 356 models had all been worked out by the time production began on the 356C. The 1582cc overhead valve opposed four-cylinder engine was capable of producing 75 horsepower. The four-wheel disc brakes was more than adequate to stop the small 82.7 inch wheelbase vehicle while the four-wheel independent suspension was very mature and its handling characteristics were nearly flawless.
This example is an original 1964 Porsche 356 C Coupe with matching numbers. It was professionally restored and repainted in 2005 and finished in the original Togo Brown with correct fawn color interior. Included with the original factory equipment include tool kit, jack, and spare.
This car was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held at Meadow Brook. It was estimated to sell for $30,000 - $45,000 and offered without reserve. At auction, the estimated value proved to be accurate, as the car was sold for $30,250, after buyers premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2007
The Type 356C was the final stage in the evaluation of the 356 before the introduction of the Type 911 in 1965. The C was manufactured in 1964 and 1965 with 16,684 cars produced.
This SC model was developed as a replacement for the Super 90 available in the B model. It served as a cost effective alternative high performance option to the very expensive and complex Furman 4-cam engine used in competition cars and the 356 Carrera model. The original purchase price was $4,575, with curb weight of 2060 lbs; the engine produces 107 horsepower, and the top speed is 115 mph. The car has 208,450 km or 125,20 original miles on the chassis.
The engine, transmission, body and equipment match the car's factory Cardex file. The only modification from the original configuration is the replacement of the factory 16mm front sway bar with a 17.5 unit. This materially reduces oversteer and improves high speed stability. Restoration was completed in 1995 by the original owner and the car was purchased by the current owner in 2004.
Sold for $45,100 at 2009 Gooding & Company. The Porsche 356C was introduced in July of 1963. Even though nearly 15 years had past since the first Gmunds cars had been produced, the same basic layout remained. Several bodywork changes had been over that time period, such as to accommodate larger bumpers and windows, revised headlights and twin grilles.
This 356C Coupe is a matching-numbers example that has been treated to a comprehensive restoration in 2000. It is fitted with a Reutter luggage rack, an original Blaupunkt AM/FM radio, original jack, a complete set of tools and factory chrome wheels and hubcaps. It has its original 6-volt electrical system.
It is painted in silver and has been well cared for and driven sparingly since its restoration. In the summer of 2006, the car won an award at the Monterey Bay Region Porsche Club of America (PCA) Conocurs.
In 2009, this Porsche was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was expected to sell for $50,000 - $60,000 and offered without reserve. The lot was sold for the sum of $45,100 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
Sold for $110,000 at 2009 RM Auctions. The 356C, introduced in mid-1963, only had mild visual changes over the prior 356B. It continued to use the T-6 body type and available in both coupe and cabriolet body styles. It was given Dunlop four-wheel disc brakes, a higher-lift camshaft for the 1600 C engine, and new flat-face hubcaps. The models imported to the United States included positive crankcase ventilation to help comply with vehicle emissions standards.
There were only 1,745 356C Cabriolets produced for 1964. This example is painted in factory-correct Bali Blue exterior finish, a black convertible top, and a new interior with factory-correct red leather upholstery and red carpeting. The 1582cc air-cooled, horizontally-opposed four-cylinder engine, has dual Zenith carburetors and produces 75 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox, four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes, and an independent rear suspension.
In 2009, this 356C Cabriolet was offered for sale at the Automobiles of Arizona presented by RM Auctions. The lot was estimated to sell for $105,000 - $135,000 and offered without reserve. It was sold for the sum of $110,000, including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
This very original 1964 356 SC Coupe is partially restored and is a numbers-matching car according to its Porsche certificate of authenticity. The SC moniker indicates that this 356 is equipped with a 1600cc pushrod flat four, an update of the previous Super 90 engine, it produced 95 horsepower and was the most powerful of the non-overhead cam 356 engine (which made between 105-115 horsepower). Like other 356Cs, the SC was equipped with disc brakes, which arrived with the introduction of the last series of the 356 just before the launch of the '901-series' 911.
The late 1950s and early 1960s marked the heyday of the 356. In 1961, the last major modifications were made in the bodyshell, involving enlarged windshields, rear windows and more space under the front hood. For the 1964 model year, the 356 SC was introduced with a more powerful engine and disc brakes were offered for the first time.
The four-cylinder, 1528cc, horizontally opposed engine develops 95 horsepower and boasted a zero-to-sixty mph time of 9.2 seconds. Top speed was 112.5 mph.
The current owner purchased the car through an Ohio dealer and it was delivered in the summer of 1964. They have all the paperwork, tools, etc. for the vehicle. The car was restored in 2009.
Sold for $60,500 at 2010 Gooding & Company. This Porsche 356SC has retained its original tool kit, jack and spare, plus the original owner's manual and sales brochure.
In 2010, this Coupe was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction at Amelia Island, Florida. It was estimated to sell for $60,000 - $80,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $60,500, inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2010
Sold for $129,250 at 2011 Gooding & Company. The SC models were given a substantial increased in overall performance with four-wheel disc brakes, a Type 741 gearbox, and an air-cooled Boxer four-cylinder engine Twin Solex carburetors.
This example is a luxurious Cabriolet model that has a 70-liter fuel tank and compensating spring on the rear suspension. The car is painted in a BaliBlue (#6412) over a black leather interior with gray square-weave carpets. There are Hella 128 fog lamps, and chrome wheels. Inside there is a VDM steering wheel, twin headrests, VDO gauges and a Blaupunkt radio.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was expected to sell for $110,000 - $140,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car was sold for the sum of $129,250 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2011
Sold for $72,600 at 2012 Gooding & Company. The C Series was introduced in 1964, along with the ultimate road-going variation of the pushrod 356 - the SC. The SC models, just as the Super and Super 90 models that came before, were a showpiece for the automaker's competition heritage and offered an increase in overall performance. The cars came equipped from the factory with four-wheel disc brakes and a smooth-shifting Type 741 gearbox.
This SC Coupe was completed on April 27th of 1964 and was originally intended for European delivery. The car left the factory painted in Signal Red with an interior upholstered in black leatherette. As some point in its history, the car had migrated to Southern California where it was in the car of avid Porsche enthusiasts. In the early 2000s, it was treated to a comprehensive restoration.
The car is equipped with Hella 128 fog lamps, luggage straps, chrome wheels, a Blaupunkt radio and a rare Les Leston wood-rimmed steering wheel complete with a Deluxe horn ring.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, AZ. It was estimated to sell for $70,000 - $85,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had sold for the sum of $72,600 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2012
This Porsche 356 C SC GT, chassis number 127674, is one of less than 10 made. It is powered by a 1600cc (616/16) SC specification pushrod motor, meaning 95 horsepower at 5800 RPM, in a race-focused GT spec bodyshell that is street friendly. The car was given four wheel disc brakes, enhancing the cars performance even further. With over 14,000 356s made in 1964, one of less than 10 made to this spec, makes it very rare indeed. Porsche developed the ability to purpose build short run series of 'special cars' and offer a wider range of detail factory or dealer, installed options. They continue to work with the customer this way today.
Sold for $49,000 at 2012 Mecum. This Porsche 356C is finished in Ruby Red with Sand Beige leather interior. It is faithfully original to the factory specifications, boasting the numbers original engine and transmission. This 356C was built in Germany in 1963 and purchased in the United States. At the time these rear-engine, lightweight coupes did not change much in appearance but underwent almost continuous technological improvement. The Porsche 356C was the last version of the 356 line, its two-year production run engine in 1965. This coupe is equipped with the 95 horsepower Super engine earning an SC badge. The Twin-Cam Carrera OHV flat four was racing engine adapted for street use. This coupe has its original chrome trim and rust free body. It was re-painted in the original 1964 Ruby Red exterior color and has been kept stored in a climate controlled facility. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2012
The 1964 356C was Porsche's final development of the production 356. The most significant mechanical improvement, perhaps, was the fitting of disc brakes, one reason one can assume for 356 production reaching some 14,000-plus cars that year: the 356's production peak.
No surprise, then, that 356 sales continued alongside the new 911 in North America for a short time as the market got used to the idea of 6-cylinder power in a more complex package.
Sold for $48,400 at 2014 Gooding & Company. This Porsche 356 SC Coupe is a late-production, original matching-numbers example powered by the top-specification 95 horsepower 'SC' engine. It has standard four-wheel disc brakes and the T-6 body. During its prior ownership, the car was restored and refinished in its original-specification Signal Red exterior with new tan leather upholstery replacing the original black interior. The engine was rebuilt and it has covered approximately 16,000 miles since.
The current owner acquired the car in early 2013 from the prior Vermont-based owner. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2014
C Cabriolet Chassis Num: 159226 Engine Num: P710620
Sold for $192,500 at 2014 Bonhams. The Porsche 356C 1600 is a Reutter-bodied Cabriolet and an early example of the 356C, produced in September of 1963. It features the improved four-wheel disc brakes and twin grille engine cover. The current owner discovered the car in 1974 and at the time it was trimmed in its original Bali Blue paint - a special option - and Fawn leather. During a restoration, the decision was made to change the color scheme from its original specification to silver over black leather. At that time, a hard top was sourced and color-matched to the car.
In 2013, it was re-restored, maintaining its silver over black color scheme. The numbers matching engine was rebuilt with new pistons and cylinders, the gauges were refurbished, the exhaust system was replaced, and the brakes were redone. Since that time, it has been driven fewer than 180 miles. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2014
Sold for $159,500 at 2015 RM Auctions. Sold for $121,000 at 2016 RM Auctions. Production of the Porsche 356B came to an end in July of 1963 and was replaced by the 356C, which would be the final version before the introduction of the 911, which arrived on the U.S. market for the 1965 model year. Changes were minor except for the revised hubcaps and Dunlop four-wheel disc brakes.
This Porsche 356 C 1600 SC 'Sunroof' Coupe by Reutter is a matching-numbers example that has been given a restoration to a show/driver level. The car was delivered new to California and had been in the hands of the previous owner since 1976. It is finished in its original color. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2015
Sold for $92,400 at 2017 Bonhams. This Porsche 356 Coupe left the factory on December 2nd of 1963 wearing Signal Red (6407) paint over a black leatherette interior. It was sent to its first owner in California and would later make its way up to the northeast. The current owner acquired the car in July of 2000 and soon began a well-documented restoration which included refurbishment of the numbers-matching engine and carburetors and the rebuilding of the chassis. By the time of its completion, about $70,000 was invested into returning this Porsche to its original condition and specification.
This 356 has been driven about 7,500 miles since the restoration. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2017
During the war Ferdinand 'Ferry' Porsche and a handful of his proven, faithful employees had started work on development number 356 in their workshops moved to the town of Gmünd in Kärnten. The first design drawings were completed on 17 July 1947 and on 8 June 1948 the Kärnten state government issued a special permit homologating the car. Returning home after being held by the French as a prisoner of war and bailed out of custody by his family, Professor Dr.-Ing.h.c.Ferdinand Porsche, Ferry's father, stated right away that 'every single bolt was just right'. No 1 was then followed by a small series of 52 additional cars built in Gmünd, production in Stuttgart from 1950 - 1965 subsequently amounting to 78,000 units of the 356 model Porsche No 1, a mid-engined roadster, is completed and homologated in the Austrian town of Gmünd. The engine displaces 1131 cc and develops maximum output of 35 bhp(26 kW). The first few 356 coupes are made of light alloy. The Porsche 1500 S ('Super') was launched in 1952 and was capable of producing 70 bhp.
In 1953, the Porsceh 1300 S producing 60 horsepower was added to the Porsche line-up. This was also the year the Porsche was introduced to the Únited States. The split windshields are also replaced by bent windshields during this year.
1954 marked the production of the first 200 Porsche Speedsters.
In 1955, the Speedster becomes a genuine sales success. Production of the 356 A series starts in autumn wîth the proven 1300 and 1300 S power units soon joined by the 1600(1582 cc, 60 bhp/44 kW), 1600 S (1582 cc, 75 bhp/55 kW) and 1500 GS -the first Carrera marking the introduction of the new sports engine wîth four overhead camshafts - (1498 cc, 100 bhp/74 kW). The 1100-ccengines are dropped from the range.
During the 1956 model year, Porsche produces its 10,000th 356 model.
In 1957, the sporting and Spartan Porsche 1500 GS Carrera is joined by the more comfortable 1500GS de Luxe model.
In 1958, output of the Porsche 356 A 1500 GS Carrera GT is boosted to 110 bhp/81 kW. The Speedster is replaced by the Convertible D wîth a larger windscreen and winding windows at the side. The 1300-cc engines are dropped from the range.
In 1959, the Carrera receives extra power and is now called the 1600 GS-GT, wîth the sports version offering more output (1588 cc, 115 bhp/85 kW) than the de Luxe model (105 bhp/77 kW). The 356 B series is introduced in autumn, the Convertible D being renamed the Roadster.Source - Porsche