2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 |
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec |
- Cadillac EcoJet ConceptWhat would keep a group of automotive designers up all night? 'Tonight Show' host Jay Leno, for starters, but not by his monologue or parade of Hollywood guests. This time it's because the late-night talk show host invited the General Motors Advanced Design Studio to help design a mid-engine, turbine-powered supercar called EcoJet. Leno and Ed Welburn, GM vice president of Global Design, introduced the car today at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show.
EcoJet's genesis goes back to a discussion between Leno, an avid car enthusiast and collector, and Bernard Juchli, the chief mechanic and caretaker of Leno's collection. Leno then turned to Welburn for design direction.
- SEMAThe SEMA Show is the premier automotive specialty products trade event in the world. It draws the industry's brightest minds and hottest products to one place, the Las Vegas Convention Center. As part of AAIW, the SEMA Show attracts more than 100,000 industry leaders from over 100 countries for unlimited profit opportunities in the automotive, truck and SUV, marine and RV markets. SEMA Show 2005 drew over 50,000 domestic and international buyers through two million square feet of exhibits. The displays are segmented into 11 sections, and a New Products Showcase features more than 1,400 newly introduced parts, tools and components. In addition, the SEMA show provides attendees with educational seminars, product demonstrations, special events, networking opportunities and more. 2006 Show dates: Oct. 31 - Nov. 3, 2006.
- Michael Schumacher: The Technical ChampionDespite the occasional intrigued photographer, an undisturbed red prancing horse rests patiently amidst the pandemonium of victory and the all-too familiar 'leap'. Lost in all the records Michael Schumacher has amassed is either a red horse or a flashy blue dresser. While the records point to Schumacher, the dominance they relate point to the chariots that carried the man to fame, fortune, as well as, the records. But this is the one thing all the records make clear—Michael was probably the best at getting the most out of a car and letting it do the work for him. Michael Schumacher is the greatest technical driver of all-time.
With Michael's retirement there will be, undoubtedly, many articles written concerning his accomplishments and records. The truth is that over the past 30 years there hasn't been anyone as successful or as dominant. In fact, no other driver in the history of Formula One has been as successful, period! In Michael's hands a great car would be untouchable, a good car would be a contender to win, and a poor car would be a good test bed to make the next car better.
- Michael Schumacher: The Technical ChampionDespite the occasional intrigued photographer, an undisturbed red prancing horse rests patiently amidst the pandemonium of victory and the all-too familiar 'leap'. Lost in all the records Michael Schumacher has amassed is either a red horse or a flashy blue dresser. While the records point to Schuma
- The Quail: A Motorsports GatheringIn its fourth year, The Quail: A Motorsports Gathering takes place during the hectic Pebble Beach Concours weekend. With many automotive activities happening during this time, the Quail has built a reputation for being one of the most exclusive and intimate automotive events of the weekend. Located on the golf course of the Quail Lodge, the Quail features rare motorsport automobiles, fine wines, and a peaceful atmosphere. A limited number of selected entrants are permitted to grace the show field; the number of those in attendance is limited to just 3000, with the tickets selling rather quickly.
There were three main themes honored this year that included the coachwork of Zagato, 100th anniversary of the Targa Florio, and Laguna Seca's 50th anniversary.
- Hamann BMW Z4 M CoupeAnyone who considers the (limited) max. speed of 250 km/h to be insufficient can ask HAMANN to derestrict the engine, which results in a top speed of 273 km/h with the standard engine. Blessed with 343 bhp ex-works, HAMANN tickles a little bit more out of the high-revving engine. Reprogramming the standard engine management system produces an extra 15 bhp (11 kW). Torque rises by 20 Nm. Reprogramming also includes circumvention of the Vmax limit and, after being thus tweaked, the HAMANN Z4 M Coupé reaches 275 km/h.
A great engine needs a great sound. Accordingly, HAMANN offers a 4-tailpipe rear silencer with stainless-steel tailpipes (4 x 76 mm diameter) for the Z4 M Coupé. Even better sound and a more immediate reaction to throttle changes can be achieved by installing a high-performance exhaust manifold and metal sports catalytic converters.
HAMANN provides for even greater agility by fitting progressive suspension springs that lower the ride height by 25 mm. To make the body even stiffer, HAMANN also offers a two-part strut-tower breach (with HAMANN logo), which is fitted at the front.
- Audi TT RoadsterSheer sportiness, a genuine driving experience plus high power reserves – cue the new TT Roadster from Audi. The open-top sports car retains the distinctive lines of its tremendously successful predecessor, but instils them with even greater emotion, performance and dynamism.
Audi offers a choice of two engines for its new TT Roadster. The 3.2-liter V6 power unit generates 250 hp and is coupled to the quattro drive system as standard. The 2.0 TFSI engine, which blends turbocharging with gasoline direct injection technology, delivers 200 hp to the front wheels. Both model variants can be ordered with the innovative S tronic dual-clutch gearbox as an alternative to the standard six-speed manual shift.
The chassis of the new Roadster is also built for impressive sporty performance. Its highlight is Audi magnetic ride, the optional suspension damping technology that allows drivers to choose between an uncompromisingly dynamic ride or more comfort-orientated characteristics.
- BMW Hydrogen 7-SeriesHydrogen technology dramatically reduces emissions generated by personal transport and, in particular, minimizes the emission of CO2. Running in the hydrogen mode, the BMW Hydrogen 7 essentially emits nothing but vapor. And, unlike fossil fuels and traditional gasoline, hydrogen is available in virtually infinite supply. With the BMW Hydrogen 7, the BMW Group is laying down a marker for sustainable mobility. This car will play a pioneering role in driving forward hydrogen technologies. BMW has gained an excellent reputation for significantly reducing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by using ultra efficient, yet very dynamic gasoline engines. Together with clean performance diesel cars and the technologically advanced hybrid systems currently under development within the BMW EfficientDynamics project, the BMW Group has a clear strategy for sustainable mobility with hydrogen as the ultimate goal.
- BMW Hamann M6 WidebodyBMW tuner HAMANN of Laupheim took an adventurous look at the modification of the most potent Bavarian luxury coupé and turned the beautiful vehicle into an uncompromising sports car. The crowning for the M6 is the new HAMANN wide body-kit „EDITION RACE', which ensures that nobody will cast doubts on the power of this splendorous high-performance automobile.
HAMANN offers its clients three different engine tuning options. The high revving 5-litre V10 with 507 bhp and 520 Nm is limited to 250km/h as standard. By removing the engine limiter, the racy Bavarian can reach a top speed of 300km/h, depending on the wheel and tyre combination. The second option is made up of a combination of removing the engine limiter and optimising the engine characteristics by reprogramming the standard engine computer. HAMANN manages to tease an additional 30bhp/26kW and 15 Nm out of the V10 engine. The 'HM/M +60' sport kit provides even better performance. The kit is made up of high-performance headers, metallic sports catalytic converters, a sports rear silencer, a sports air filter, an engine map optimisation and the removal of engine restrictions. As the name of the sports kit already suggests, the engine then provides around an additional 60bhp/44kW and can provide an extra 54 Nm of torque, meaning that a notably faster top speed of up to 320km/h can be reached.
- The 100 Motor Cars of Radnor HuntThe 100 Motor Cars of Radnor Hunt are carefully selected from collections from around the country each chosen for their educational value and aesthetic beauty. The level of detail, preparation, and show-field placement is amazing with a wonderful blend of classic and sports cars. Porsche Cars of Historical Racing Significance was one of the three featured categories this year, the other automotive category being the elegant coachwork of French Coachbuilders. The third honored category was the Triumph and BMW motorcycles. Included were some of the most rare and important examples from all categories.
The 100 Motor Cars Of Radnor Hunt began early on Sunday morning. The French bodied cars included Roll-Royce, Hispano Suiza, Delahaye, Talbot Lago, Peugeot, Bentley, Stutz and Minerva. The coachwork included such greats as Henri Chapron, Hibbard & Darrin, Letourneur & Marchand, Saoutchik, and Figoni & Falaschi. Two breathtaking Talbot cars with coachwork by Figoni & Falaschi sat next to each other giving the sensation of motion at a stand-still with sweeping pontoon fenders and seating for two. One would assume these to be constructed as rolling works of art rather than designed for sporting competition. The flamboyantly sculptured designs are stunning, graceful, and gorgeous. They personify the builder's appreciation for air-flow and aerodynamics. It is only appropriate that the Talbot-Lago/Darrocq T150 C, which appeared at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance just a few weeks prior where it was awarded the prestigious French Cup, was awarded 'Best in Show' at the Radnor Hunt Concours. From coast-to-coast this vehicle is admired for its unmatched beauty and stunning elegance.
The Radnor Hunt Concours is both exclusive and intimate focusing on quality rather than quantity. The spacious show field allows for adequate room for each of the 100 Motor Cars while the horse field and equestrian center provide a pleasant and tranquil backdrop. There are very few concourses or events that could rival the exclusivity or detail of the Radnor Hunt Concours.
- Christie's at The Monterey Jet CenterAt this year's Christie's Auction of Exceptional Motor Cars in Monterey, CA there were 45 items offered with 33 finding new owners. The most anticipated sale was the 1928 MERCEDES-BENZ 26/120/180 TYP S Torpedo Roadster that was estimated to sell between $3,000,000-$4,000,000. At the conclusion of the bidding the magnificent creation with coachwork by Saoutchik had been sold for $3,645,000. The second highest sale of the day was the 1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Spyder with coachwork by Vignale. It carries chassis number 0160ED with matching engine number, finding a new owner at the price of $1,280,000. One of the more successful sales was the 1972 Lamborghini Miura SV which was expected to sell between $375,000-$425,000 but after some lively bidding the price was driven upwards to $477,000.
There were forty-five items that crossed the auction block. In the audience there were at least a couple hundred people in attendance. Most of the chairs were occupied and there were even large groups of people standing in the rear. Judging from the people-to-auction lot ratio it became apparent that this event was entertainment, educational, and social for many enthusiasts and lovers of art. Prior to the auction, the viewing was tranquil and peaceful. There were people socializing, admiring the cars, and preparing for the auction. The unique location of being at a Jet Port offered visitors the opportunity to either drive or fly to the auction.
- 2006 Paris Auto ShowThe Paris Auto Show, known as the Mondial De L'Automobile, opens to the public on September 30th and continues until October 15th. Leading up to this event, many manufacturers have decided to release information about new vehicles. The list is growing by the day as the event is opened to the media and soon the public.
With over 1,400,000 visitors, 500 brands from 30 countries, and 11,000 journalists from 98 countries in 2004, the Paris Motor Show, remains one of the most popular automobile shows in the western world and one receives among the most media coverage on the planet.
Car manufacturers, which launched over 60 world premieres at the 2004 show, are well aware of its impact! 2005 was again an impressive show and 2006 is proving to follow the strong tradition of exceptional debuts and amazing world premiers.
- Peugeot Spider 207The Spider 207, which received its world première in Paris, is developed from the 20Cup concept car but features a more conventional 4-wheel architecture and a rear transverse engine. This car, intended to be driven in a single class category, will provide intense and genuine driving pleasure, combined with the use of a production engine offering a high level of torque and reliability.
This category will be the curtain raiser to all five rounds of the Le Mans Series (LMS) and an extra event will also take place in France as part of the Rencontres Peugeot Sport. It is a racing car embodying the attributes of both LMP1 and LMP2 cars and complying with ACO regulations, particularly as regards rollover protection.
Its rear design is reminiscent of the Sport Prototype cars of the 1970s, with its short engine cowling with no rear spoiler.