2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 |
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec |
- 2009 ABT Scirocco'The very first Scirocco was the absolute star amongst compact sport coupes', reminisces Hans-Juergen Abt. The manager of the renowned car tuner is just as fascinated with the great-grandson of the Wolfsburger trend-setter: 'The Scirocco looks really dynamic and the handling is very agile.' All the more so with the Kempten modifications. They really make a storm out of a desert wind: The ABT Front spoiler makes the unmistakable face of the coupe even more distinctive. Even while stationary it is clear, who the 'king of the ring' or the street is, as the ABT Scirocco seems to virtually lie in ambush of the kilometres ahead of it. This impression is supported by the lines on its sides, where the ABT Side skirts absorb and continue the sleek design. The indicated air inlets and edges in the doors underline the verve of the bodywork which rises at the back. The ABT Scirocco looks aggressive and very dynamic. The view from behind is also impressive: The ABT Rear skirt set, consisting of a rear skirt and a diagonally attached 4-pipe rear muffler, forms a sporty unit together with the ABT Rear wing and the ABT Rear panel. ABT Sportsline recommends either its BR or AR alloys as an ideal complement to the extravagant body kit of the shooting star. The wheels are available in 18 to 20 inch and of course with fitting tyres and wheel spacers.
- Audi R8 LMSIn future, the AUDI AG motorsport programme will be based on three pillars: During the 2009 season, the brand with the four rings will compete once again in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and in the DTM. Additionally, with the new Audi R8 LMS, Audi Sport offers for the first time a racing sports car specifically developed for customer use.
'We know just how important motorsport is for the success of the brand,' emphasises Michael Dick, who as Chairman of the Board for Technical Development is responsible for the AUDI AG motorsport programme. 'Therefore it goes without saying that Audi must also be present on the race track in economically hard times. It is all the more important for us to enter a motorsport category in which the cost-benefit calculation is positive.'
Audi therefore continues to support sport prototypes and the DTM. With the Audi R8 LMS, Audi also offers customer teams a racing car incorporating high-quality technology and the typical Audi traits but which is, however, also easy to operate.
- Citroen 2CV by HermesThe 2CV celebrates its 60th birthday during the Paris Motor Show, on 7 October 2008. To celebrate the event, Hermes has designed a made-to-measure outfit that highlights the vehicle's ever-friendly and generous forms.
The 1989 2CV 6 Spécial, repainted in brown, gains a natural leather trim on the door facings, interior rearview mirror, gear knob, steering wheel and driver's sun visor. For an even more elegant finish, the two seats are upholstered in Hermès grey-beige cotton canvas and natural leather. As a finishing touch, the bonnet and interior trim at the rear of the vehicle also feature Hermès cotton canvas.
An exhibition celebrating the birthday of this legendary car opened at the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie in Paris on 15 April and is scheduled to run until 30 November 2008.
- Ford Ranger Max ConceptRenowned for its genuine toughness and strength, the Ford Ranger takes a confident step forward with the debut of the high-impact Ranger Max show truck at the Thailand International Motor Expo.
Ranger Max pushes everyone's expectations of Ranger. Visually bold and muscular, it takes to the stage at the Ford stand with confidence, sophistication and craftsmanship. The Ranger Max extends Ranger's reputation as the best all-around compact truck on the market.
'We know Ranger is tough and durable, and Ranger Max adds to those qualities. The show truck does not follow a trend; it sets a new tough style direction for compact trucks,' says Paul Gibson, the chief designer of the Ranger Max show truck. 'Ranger Max is genuinely tough, and it is a truck that gets the job done. This high-impact show truck also has the bold visual presence that looks great on the urban scene.'
A team of Ford truck specialists in Thailand worked closely with Ford's Australia-based Asia Pacific and Africa design team, led by Gibson, to create Ranger Max. Ford's design team incorporated design cues into Ranger Max that may be seen in future-generation Ranger.
- Heffner Performance GT Camilo Pardo EditionHeffner Performance is a name that has become synonymous with ultra high performance exotic car tuning. Having already successfully modified Ford GT and Lamborghini Gallardoâ€™s for added performance, the team at Heffner Performance looked to expand their range by teaming with world reknowned artist and Ford GT chief designer Camilo Pardo for a special edition Ford GT. The combination of these two unique talents has provided for one of the most desirable Ford GT supercars ever produced.
Camilo Pardo had met Jason Heffner in 2006 when Heffner Performance modified Camilo's first GT, an all-white 2005. Having had the chance to drive one of the initial twin turbo GT cars, Camilo immediately qualified it as the baddest GT I've ever been in. It was only a matter of time before they began discussing a collaborative effort, as each sought to take the GT to another level of performance and design quality.
The Heffner Twin Turbo system for the Ford GT is already proven on the street, as well as the track. Whille the car retains all its stock driveability, performance was shown to be otherworldly at the inaugural Car and Driver 0-200-0 shootout. Making over 900hp, the system has proven to obtain 200 mph from stop in under 19 seconds, clocking over 150 mph in the quarter mile. One of the few outside vehicles to ever see the inside of the Ford proving grounds in Dearborn, MI, the Heffner Twin Turbo was an instant hit with many of the team who engineered the original supercar. The essentials have remained the same for the Camilo Edition, but this special edition features an all new, Camilo-designed billet aluminum intake.
- MINI Cooper ConvertibleThe driving pleasure and individual style that are MINI's signatures have been tapped to create the next-generation MINI Convertible. With its evolutionary design and increased functionality, specially tuned suspension, powerful, efficient engines and enhanced safety technology, the latest version of the four-seat convertible raises the bar.
New color choices and equipment features add up to endless options for personalization. The premium materials and finishes enhance the MINI Convertible – the only open-air car in its class – even further.
The new MINI Convertible will make its worldwide debut in January at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Orders for the MINI Convertible are being taken now; the price for the MINI Cooper Convertible is $24,550 and for the MINI Cooper S Convertible $27,450, including the $650 destination and handling charge. Delivery of the first MINI Convertibles will begin on March 28, 2009.
The new MINI Convertible's durable soft-top with integrated sliding roof function reliably protects driver and passengers from the elements when it is up. Allowing for spontaneous open-air motoring, the soft top lowers automatically in 15 seconds flat, even when the car is in motion up to 20 mph. The unique Openometer next to the tachometer challenges the driver to log as many top-down miles as possible by recording the hours spent open-air motoring.
- 1930 Jordan Motor Model ZThe Jordan was one of the most famous cars to be built in Cleveland, Ohio. Started in 1917, it lasted until 1931, just a few months after this roadster was built. The Jordan was probably best known for the advertising penned by the owner, a former advertising man, Ned Jordan.
By the time this car was built in 1930, the Jordan Company was placing its hopes on the new eight-cylinder Great line Eighty and Ninety. Perhaps the most exciting model offered that year was the Model 'Z' Speedway Ace with sporty Woodlites, low-slung coachwork and aircraft-style dashboard. It was powered by an 85-horsepower engine coupled to a four-speed transmission
Unfortunately, the Speedway Ace, priced at $5,000, was beyond the means of most Depression Era automobile buyers.
This 1930 Jordan Model Z Speedway Ace is the only known example of the final and finest effort of the Jordan Company. Ned Jordan is probably best remembered for his advertising flair; his 'Somewhere West of Laramie' ad is arguably the most famous ad in America. The Jordan Company survived only one more year after this spectacular car was built.
- Porsche 901 Cabriolet PrototypeWhen Porsche decided to replace the 356 with the 911 in the early 1960's, the question arose as to whether an open car should be offered to replace the popular cabriolet. By 1964, Porsche had already built its thirteen 901 pre-production Coupe prototypes. Since Karmann had historically built all 356 Cabriolets for Porsche, the decision was made to commission an open 901 prototype body in June of 1964.
The completed body was delivered to Porsche Research in September of 1964 and development of different types of open concepts began on this car. At a Porsche Management Board meeting on February 1, 1965, they decided to go with the innovative Targa concept for the open 911, using this car as the primary example and test bed. A second Targa prototype was then commissioned and both were on the Frankfurt Auto Show stand in November of 1965 when the Targa concept was introduced to the world.
This car was found in Germany in 2000 and is in essentially the same condition it was when it left its vigorous regimen of factory testing.
- 2009 Porsche PanameraThe Panamera, which represents Porsche's fourth model line, will make its world debut in 2009 and promises to redefine the Gran Turismo category by featuring a unique design package that will afford equally generous front and rear space and seating comfort for four while retaining the sporting and unmistakable driving dynamics of every Porsche. Introduced initially with traditional drivetrains, the hybrid version of the Panamera will be offered at a later date.
- 2009 Volvo S60 ConceptHere is the first glimpse of Volvo Cars' next concept car. The Volvo S60 Concept will be unveiled at the Detroit Motor Show in early January 2009 - and it gives a clear indication of what the all-new Volvo S60 will look like when it is introduced during 2010.
'We both can and dare to deliver even more exciting and more dynamic designs while retaining our grip on the lead position with regard to safety. The concept car shows part of our future, it's a hint that the all-new S60 will be one of the strongest contenders in the CD premium segment,' says Stephen Odell, President and CEO at Volvo Cars.
The first picture reveal the coupe-inspired silhouette that gave the original S60 its unique stance. It is now being even further accentuated.
- Hilton Head Sports & Classic Car AuctionThere was much speculation about what might happen at this years' Hilton Head Sports & Classic Car Auction presented by the Worldwide Auctioneers. A remarkable array of vehicles had been assembled, arguably their best to date at Hilton Head. The list of automotive masterpieces complimented the Hilton Head Concours d'Elegance very nicely with many similarities between the two. What had many on edge was the current state of the economy and the proximity to the presidential election (it was held just a few days before the United States chose their next president.)
'Once again the market has spoken well, with great cars garnering significant interest and realizing strong prices', Said Rod Egan, Chief Auctioneer. 'Regardless of a perceived economic slow down in the United States, high quality cars are still showing to be an excellent investment.'
- 2009 Porsche CaymanPorsche is presenting the second generation of the mid-engined Cayman sports coupe at the Los Angeles Motor Show (November 21 – 30) this week. The highlight is the new, flat-six ‘boxer' engines, developed to incorporate new technical features from the ground up, providing not only more power, but also significantly greater fuel efficiency.
A further improvement of both fuel economy and performance is guaranteed by the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK), the new double-clutch gearbox now available as an option on both the Cayman and Cayman S.
- 2010 Kia SoulKia Motors America (KMA) today announced the North American debut of the all-new and highly anticipated Soul passenger vehicle at the 2008 Los Angeles Auto Show. Designed in Southern California, the Soul is the newest product offering to join the company's ever-expanding line-up, following the introduction of the all-new Borrego midsize SUV earlier this year. Soul's bold and edgy design is indicative of the new Kia design theme, with more package and styling combinations than any previous Kia vehicle. With Soul's arrival as an early model year 2010 vehicle to the C-Segment, it allows young and young-at-heart buyers to have the freedom to truly personalize and emotionally connect with their vehicle.
'The Soul is for those who love individuality but don't like to be categorized by finding the next best thing,' said Michael Sprague, vice president of marketing, KMA. 'Indicative of the new design direction of KMA, Soul is an attractive and customizable vehicle for those looking for something with a little more personality than other vehicles on the market today.
- 2010 Lexus RX 350Lexus unveiled the all-new, next generation RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid at a press conference today at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The vehicle that pioneered the car-based luxury utility vehicle segment when it launched in 1998, is completely redesigned and will continue to set new benchmarks in areas that have made it the best-selling luxury utility vehicle: innovation, styling, performance, utility and comfort.
At the heart of the new RX models are two improved powertrains. Entering its second generation, the RX 450h will feature an enhanced Lexus Hybrid Drive system with a 3.5-liter V6 gas engine that runs on a highly efficient Atkinson cycle. Combined with a new, more efficient inverter, the total system output will be 295 horsepower, 27 more horsepower than the current generation RX hybrid.
Another step in the Lexus Hybrid Drive's evolution is the addition of two new systems that improve its efficiency. The first is an exhaust-heat recovery system that reduces engine warm-up time allowing it to stop earlier, more often, and for longer periods. The result is an improvement in both fuel economy and emissions. The second is a cooled exhaust-gas recirculation system that reduces engine pumping losses, which also helps to improve economy.
- 2010 Lexus RX 450hThe RX 450h features a front-wheel hybrid drive or an electronically driven, part-time all-wheel-drive (AWD) hybrid drive system, which supplies the rear wheels with the optimal amount of torque as conditions demand. Unlike mechanical AWD systems that reduce fuel efficiency via added weight and friction, the RX 450h's rear-mounted electric motor-generator allows all four wheels to perform regenerative braking, charging the hybrid battery more effectively.
The third generation RX 350 will be powered by an improved 275-horsepower, 3.5-liter V6 engine mated to an electrically controlled, sequential-shift six-speed transaxle. The all-wheel-drive version will feature an Active Torque Control AWD system that optimizes torque depending on driving conditions, resulting in improved efficiency and performance.
Both RX models feature a new, uniquely designed double-wishbone rear suspension that helps provide exceptional agility and control. Its distinctive design also allows for five percent more cargo volume and easier loading. To complement the new rear suspension and provide excellent dexterity and ride comfort, the front McPherson strut geometry was optimized.
- Honda FC Sport ConceptThe FC Sport emphasizes the design flexibility and potential of Honda's V Flow fuel cell technology - already deployed in the Honda FCX Clarity sedan - and reconfigures it into a lightweight sports car design with an ultra-low center of gravity, powerful electric motor performance and zero-emissions. The design study concept is inspired by supercar levels of performance through low weight and a high-performance, electrically driven fuel cell powertrain.
'The Honda FC Sport explores how to satisfy automotive performance enthusiasts in a world beyond petroleum,' said Dan Bonawitz, vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. 'People who love sports cars will still have a reason to love in a hydrogen-powered future.'
The high-output Honda fuel cell powertrain and a sleek, aerodynamic body contribute to the vehicle's performance potential. A modular approach to fuel cell component packaging and the electric drivetrain contribute to the FC Sport's low center of gravity with the majority of vehicle mass distributed between the axles, creating the balanced weight distribution sought after in sports cars.
- Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 SpyderWith the new Gallardo LP 560-4 Spyder, Lamborghini has created a driving experience like absolutely no other – fascinating design, breathtaking performance and extreme handling characteristics come together with all the sensual intensity and open-air pleasure that only a soft top super sports car can deliver.
An even more powerful engine, permanent all-wheel drive and an all-new chassis mean that the Gallardo LP 560-4 Spyder offers yet another significant increase in performance against its predecessor. With its innovative design, the new LP 560-4 Spyder takes the unique Lamborghini styling ethic to the next level; the Spyder displays this powerful and elegant design language with even greater distinctiveness, making it all the more unmistakable.
The Gallardo LP 560-4 has been on the market since early 2008, as the successor to the most successful Lamborghini of all-time – since 2003, more than 8,500 models bearing the Gallardo name have left the production facility in Sant'Agata Bolognese.
- Los Angeles Auto Show Reflects the Changing Automobile WorldNearly 40 World and North American Debuts at the 2008 Show
The Los Angeles Auto Show continues to grow in importance as an international auto show with more significant World debuts than ever before. As the first major North American auto show of the season, the LA show provides a preview of the latest vehicles that may define the future of the automobile.
The debuts feature almost every automobile segment. Hybrids will have a stronger presence than ever with several significant debuts breaking cover. Looking to the future, the manufacturers are also debuting newer fuel technologies including modern clean diesel, electric, natural gas and hydrogen.
This year's show also has plenty of performance vehicles as well as important debuts of luxury and exotic vehicles to show off.
- 2009 NISSAN CUBE SET FOR SPRING U.S. DEBUTHuey Lewis once sang 'It's hip to be square.' Few believed him. Mathletes wax poetic about the superior geometric efficiencies of a cube in terms of volume v. surface area. And get little respect. Cavemen discovered that a round stone rolls better than a square one. And, as a consequence, gave birth to the traffic jam. In 1998, Nissan introduced the original Cube, an aptly named box-on-wheels, to minor consumer interest.
But times change, and so did the Cube. In 2002, an all-new second generation Nissan Cube was introduced in the Japanese market. More spacious inside, more glass outside, more power under the hood and, more importantly, a few more angles and curved surface details added to its compact, slab-sided exterior. Quintessentially Japanese, this new Cube took Tokyo by storm. A pocket-sized fun-and-function cocktail mixing the charm of Godzilla and the wit of Mothra, buyers were smitten. And so, it turns out, Huey was right after all.
Like the Nissan GT-R before it, the Nissan Cube soon found an audience outside of Japan – not in person, but through its exposure in fashion and automotive magazines, videos and on the Web.
- 2010 Ford Fusion HybridFord's new 2010 Fusion is set to shake up the cut-throat mid-size sedan segment when it goes on sale early next year, bringing an all-new hybrid that will deliver the best fuel economy of any sedan in America, class-exclusive technologies including a blind spot detection and warning system and Ford SYNC™, plus the kind of proven quality and reliability that has been recognized by the top consumer groups and magazines.
'With the new Ford Fusion, we are offering consumers more choice, even better fuel economy and the leading quality and reliability that they have come to expect,' said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president of Global Product Development. 'But that isn't all – we weren't satisfied with just matching the competition in the segment, we wanted to give consumers even more by delivering engaging driving dynamics and technologies that make the in-car experience more comfortable and connected.'
- 2010 Lincoln MKZCustomers who have come to equate Lincoln with elegant, modern design, unparalleled comfort, unrivaled features and top quality have still more reason to favor the brand: the new 2010 Lincoln MKZ mid-size sedan.
'The new MKZ improves on the success of the current vehicle with Lincoln's new signature look, appointments that amplify and expand the Lincoln portfolio and a faster, more refined powertrain,' said Mark Fields, Ford's president of The Americas.
New for 2010, the MKZ features a new sport version with special sport suspension tuning with stiffer springs and larger stabilizer bars, 18-inch Euroflange polished wheels, darkened grille and headlamps, and an interior with contrasting piping and unique appliqués.
The new Lincoln MKZ also offers segment-exclusive features, including first-in-class Blind Spot Information System (BLIS™) with Cross Traffic Alert (CTA), which makes navigating traffic and parking lots safer and easier.
- 2010 Mercury Milan HybridThe Mercury Milan builds on a strong foundation of quality and reliability, adding to the mix for the 2010 model year an all-new hybrid model, more fuel-efficient gasoline powertrain options, class-exclusive technologies and a more refined, sophisticated design.
'The Milan has been a strong part of the Mercury lineup since its initial launch and has helped attract more consumers to dealer showrooms,' said John Felice, general manager, Ford, Lincoln Mercury Marketing. 'For sophisticated consumers looking for a stylish hybrid, the Milan now offers them the most fuel-efficient hybrid sedan in its class.'
Chief designer Darrell Behmer and his team had the advantage of working from a vehicle that's been lauded by consumers and consumer groups. 'Our approach was to build upon the Milan's strengths – to improve rather than reinvent,' Behmer said. 'From a design standpoint, we wanted to clarify the design, making it cleaner and more modern.'
- ENTRY APPLICATIONS DUE EARLY FOR 2009 PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D'ELEGANCEBentley & Bugatti are '09 Featured Marques; Zagato Designs and the Centennials of Morgan and Audi to be Spotlighted
The Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance is already accepting entry applications for the 59th annual show to be held on Sunday, August 16, 2009. Entry forms were mailed out last week, and all completed forms are due back to the Concours by January 7, 2009 — two full months earlier than in previous years.
'The earlier time frame allows our Selection Committee to put together the very best field,' says Concours Chairman Sandra Kasky Button. 'By verifying and then confirming our field of entries as soon as possible, it will also be easier for our entrants – especially those outside the United States – to fully prepare and ship their vehicles. The number of applicants and participants from outside the United States continues to increase demonstrating that the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance has truly become ‘the world's concours,' and we want to provide everybody with the time they need to get ready for this great competition.'
- Infiniti G37 ConvertibleInfiniti today unveiled the latest expression of its 'Inspired Performance,' the all-new 2009 Infiniti G Convertible, at the 2008 Los Angeles Auto Show. The first-ever Infiniti G Convertible builds upon the performance legacy of the Infiniti G line, with the liberation only a convertible with the top down can provide. It is scheduled to go on sale at Infiniti dealers in North America in the spring of 2009, followed later in other Infiniti markets around the world.
'Designed to rejuvenate the spirit, the G Convertible adds an open-air soundtrack to the G's legendary driving exhilaration,' said Brian Carolin, senior vice president, Sales and Marketing, speaking before automotive media at the vehicle's world debut. 'This new G has dual beauty – it looks as good with the top up or down – along with a beautiful, leather-appointed interior that is meant to be experienced wide-open.'
The new G Convertible offers a three-piece folding steel top and a special convertible-focused interior, which features a unique Bose® Open Air Sound System that dynamically changes equalization based on outside noise, vehicle speed, and top position, and an adaptive climate control system that adjusts fan speed in accordance to top position and vehicle speed.
- MARIO ANDRETTI RECEIVES SPIRIT OF COMPETITION AWARD AT SIMEONE AUTOMOTIVE MUSEUM DEDICATIONMario Andretti - the driver many feel is the greatest that ever raced - received the first annual 'Spirit of Competition' Award at the dedication of the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum this evening. The award was presented to Mr. Andretti by Mr. Vermeil, former coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. The Museum was dedicated by the Honorable Michael A. Nutter, mayor of the City of Philadelphia.
The new Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum contains over 60 of the rarest and most significant racing sports cars in the world, and opened to the public last June. The central theme of the Simeone Foundation collection is 'the spirit of competition.'
'No other driver represents the spirit of competition better than Mario,' said Dr. Fred Simeone, executive director of the Museum. 'He told me he never started a race he didn't feel he would win.'
- Nissan 370ZIn the first full redesign of the iconic Nissan ZÒ since its re-introduction as a 2003 model, nearly every piece and component has been rethought or redesigned – shorter wheelbase, greater use of lightweight body materials, new engine with more horsepower and improved fuel economy, a new 7-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, a world's first synchronized downshift rev matching system for the manual transmission, new high quality driver-centric interior and new available technology features.
But to get the full measure of the new model, now designated the Nissan 370Z, one need look no farther than the subtle upswept line of the new rear quarter window. Quintessentially ZÒ, the window harkens back to the original 1970 240Z – a car that revolutionized the sports car world with its unique combination of performance, style and, especially, value. The new 370Z solidifies the ZÒ's position as one of the most desirable sports cars on the planet – at an affordable price – bringing true sports car performance to everyone.
'The fresh character of the 2009 Nissan 370Z is immediately apparent in the crisp new exterior design, which is sportier yet still immensely identifiable as a Nissan ZÒ,' said Al Castignetti, vice president, Sales, Nissan Division, Nissan North America, Inc. 'One usually thinks of evolution as being linear. The new 370Z's ‘super evolution' builds on the best features of both the first and last generations Z–cars – respectful but not retro, simple yet sophisticated, and 110 percent pure ZÒ.'
- Spyker C8 Laviolette LM85Spyker Cars N.V., manufacturer of exclusive premium sports cars, proudly presents the Spyker C8 Laviolette LM85 – the road version of its GT2 LeMans car. The Spyker C8 Laviolette LM85 will be built as a limited edition of 24 units maximum, and will be available in both left and right hand drive. Production of the LM85 commences this quarter.
The LM85 is an advanced mid-engine, two-seat sports car. It is characterized by a lightweight all aluminium body construction and an uncompromising engineering package. The powertrain of the LM85 is the all aluminium Audi 4.2 Litre V8 engine producing 400 bhp. This is paired to a manual six-speed Getrag gearbox, driving the rear wheels with a Drexler limited slip differential. ABS is standard. The use of aluminium parts and other lightweight materials results in an impressive power-to-weight ratio and underlines the GT2 racing heritage of the car.
- MARIO ANDRETTI RECEIVES SPIRIT OF COMPETITION AWARD AT SIMEONE AUTOMOTIVE MUSEUM DEDICATIONMario Andretti - the driver many feel is the greatest that ever raced - received the first annual 'Spirit of Competition' Award at the dedication of the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum this evening. The award was presented to Mr. Andretti by Mr. Vermeil, former coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.
- 2010 Ford MustangMuscle goes modern for 2010 as the Ford Mustang – America's favorite muscle car for 45 years straight – hits the streets with a new exterior design; new world-class interior featuring well-crafted materials and updated technology; and a V-8 with even more horsepower and an even throatier signature Mustang exhaust sound.
Combine those elements with the new Mustang's improved handling characteristics, more standard safety and technology features and its already-strong safety and quality performance and reputation, and it's easy to see how the muscle car known around the world delivers on the promise of fast, fun and affordable performance for a whole new era.
'More than 9 million customers have made Mustang one of the world's most beloved automotive and cultural icons,' said Mark Fields, Ford's president of The Americas. 'Making sure this modern legend lives up to their expectations has been a driving force for the team, which went to great lengths – gathering customer input everywhere from race tracks to Main Streets in cities throughout the U.S. – working to create the best Mustang ever.'
- ENTRY APPLICATIONS DUE EARLY FOR 2009 PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D'ELEGANCEBentley & Bugatti are '09 Featured Marques; Zagato Designs and the Centennials of Morgan and Audi to be Spotlighted
The Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance is already accepting entry applications for the 59th annual show to be held on Sunday, August 16, 2009. Entry forms were mailed out las
- Triumph 2000The Triumph 2000 was the first new Triumph after World War II. It is the last series production vehicle with a rumble seat. There are two windshields with the second adding to the comfort of the rear passengers.
This car is one of the few, which still has the original turning signals. They are the trafficators coming out from the side of the car. It also has the original headlight setup, which dips one reflector on low beam, while switching the other light off. The car was nicknamed 'One Eye Monster' at its time.
The car was found, in a field, as a parts car for another restoration. Since the frame was still good, it was decided to restore it to like new condition. In the lat two years, the car was driven more than 3400 miles in club driving events and visiting 9 shows (including the Meadowbrook Concours d'Elegnace), where it won 13 awards (7 times Best in Show). The worldwide Triumph Roadster Club (based in England with more than 500 members dedicated to this model) award the Car of the Year Trophy to this car in 2007.
- Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT4Aston Martin Racing has released the 2009 specification Vantage GT4 based on Aston Martin's new 4.7 litre V8 Vantage. The new Vantage GT4 builds on the success of its predecessor, the 4.3 litre Vantage N24.
The Vantage GT4 has been under development for six months and was unveiled in Dubai this week by Aston Martin chairman, David Richards, and tested extensively at the Dubai Autodrome.
The car is an evolution of the N24 with the larger capacity engine being more responsive with increased torque throughout the rev range. The suspension has also been retuned to enhance the handling, including modified front uprights to give increased camber. The 2009 Vantage GT4 also has larger front brake discs with revised cooling.
'In the last two years, the N24 has proved to be one of the most successful cars in its class; winning the Nurburgring 24 Hours this year, as well as several FIA GT4 races,' said David Richards. 'We have built on this success to develop the Vantage GT4, a competitive racing car for professional and semi-professional drivers, but also a forgiving car which will appeal to enthusiasts who wish to use it for track days and club racing.'
- Hilton Head Island Concours d'Elegance & Motoring FestivalThe Seventh Annual Hilton Head Concours d'Elegance was jammed packed with 'tributes' this year with the Honored Marque being Brass Era Cars (pre-1916). The 100th Anniversary of GM and Morgan, the 100th Anniversary of the Great Savannah Races and Ford Model T, 60th of the Porsche, and 50th of Edsel were also recognized. Other categories included Micro cars, performance vehicles, European luxury, Hot Rods, Orphan marques, classics, racers, and motorcycles.
The Hilton Head Concours is more than a one-day show; it is a multi-faceted event that includes racing, driving tours, auction, car clubs and 'quest for speed' display. As stated by the chairman of the event, Dr. Paul L. Doerring, 'if you happen to attend all events, you will have seen over 600 automobiles.'
- 2006 Lamborghini Miura ConceptThe House of the Raging Bull brings back a legendary name from the company's past with the breathtaking 'Lamborghini Miura Concept'. The 'Lamborghini Miura Concept' will be the first Lamborghini vehicle to be conjured from the talented pen of Walter de' Silva, Head of Lamborghini Design. de' Silva's other design responsibilities include serving as Head of Design of Audi Group. The talented designer's idea for the new concept was simple: a retro-inspired look heralding back to one of the auto world's most famous icons, the legendary Miura.
The new concept model, which as of now, is strictly a concept with no firm date set for its production launch, is the inspired creation of de'Silva, the world-famous Italian designer. He has redesigned every aspect of the car while remaining absolutely faithful to the original form. The new car retains the extraordinary purity of line characteristic of the original Miura: the designer's intervention has been defined by refining the contours and eliminating any superfluous detail in order to enhance the clean, simple lines and perfectly-balanced proportions of the original that so impassioned enthusiasts.
- Brabus tuned Tesla RoadsterThe first tuned electric car comes from BRABUS: The first project of the future cooperation between Tesla Motors, Inc. and the new BRABUS business division Zero Emission celebrates its world debut at the 2008 Essen Motor Show. BRABUS (www.brabus.com) presents an exclusive customization program for the Tesla Roadster, the world's first electrically powered production sports car.
The new BRABUS logo with added lightning bolt is the trademark of BRABUS Zero Emission vehicles.
To give the sports car a more exciting sound the BRABUS electronics specialists have developed a ‘space sound generator.' The occupants on-board the Tesla Roadsters can choose from several simulated engine sounds including that of a typical V8 combustion engine, a racecar engine and two futuristic soundscapes named ‘Beam' and ‘Warp.' The volume of the sound is dependent on the momentary power output of the electric motor.
- Lamborghini Miura P400SUnrestored, original Miuras are very, very rare. The reason being that they are hand built, innovative yet complex cars that are by their very nature maintenance challenged. For a moment, just think how hot that V12 motor might get hidden transverse and amidships and left to the devices of mid-sixties engineering and materials technology. This one still rides on its original tires.
The Miura S was the second generation with around 338 cars built between December 1968 and March of 1971, only 30 of which were fitted with air conditioning. Heat, both inside and out, was a real problem however it was soon forgotten once on the open road.
- 1951 Bentley Mark VIOne of nine 'estate car saloons' built by Harold Radford Limited of Park Royal, North West London (a stone's throw from the Guinness brewery) on the Bentley Mark VI chassis. Radford was founded only in 1950 and in 1958 was bought by the Swain Group who already owned coachbuilder Freestone & Webb. Radford hit the headlines with its series of customized Minis in 1963 known as the Mini de Ville, at least one of which was bought by Peter Sellers for Britt Ekland.
- Anteros XTRn2a Motors, Inc. announced today that it will debut its latest model, the Anteros, at the Los Angeles Auto Show on November 21st. Continuing a tradition of unique styling and impressive performance, the Anteros is built on the new 2009 Corvette platform and features a body reminiscent of iconic Italian designs. Built from modern lightweight carbon fiber, the Anteros is available with a variety of performance and appearance options. n2a Motors is taking orders for January 2009 deliveries.
n2a Motors will be displaying the first production convertible and coupe versions of the Anteros in their exhibit. The black convertible is built using a stock 2009 Corvette donor car, featuring the 430 hp/424 lb.-ft. torque LS3 V8 engine that gets 16 MPG city and 26 MPG highway. The silver coupe is based on a 2009 Corvette Z06 and is modified with Lingenfelter's 630 horsepower performance package. All base models include a carbon composite body, hand-stitched leather interior, three-piece aluminum wheels, and a custom cat back exhaust. Chevrolet's 100,000 mile powertrain warranty remains completely intact and the Anteros can be serviced at any GM dealership.
- Nash AmbassadorWhen it came time to replace its 1949-1951 Airflyte Ambassador, seen to many eyes as a 'bathtub on wheels,' Nash Motors went to Italy, to Pininfarina, for design help. The result was the 1952 Ambassador that lasted for three model years.
For 1955, Pininfarina was asked to update its own wraparound windshield, concave grille and multi-color paint scheme. This 1956 Nash Ambassador wears three colors - green, black and white; it has been restored to its original luster.
- Volkswagen Touareg TDI Trophy TruckVolkswagen of America, Inc. will unveil its purpose-built Volkswagen-Red Bull Baja Race Touareg TDI Trophy Truck, powered by a clean diesel TDI engine, during a news conference at this year's Los Angeles Auto Show. The news conference is scheduled for 10:45 to 11:10 a.m., Wednesday, November 19, 2008, at the Volkswagen stand.
The Race Touareg TDI Trophy Truck that will run the 41st Annual Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 desert race in the SCORE Trophy Truck class is powered by a 5.5 liter V-12 clean diesel engine that produces 550 horsepower and 625 lbs.-ft. of torque.
Staying true to the off-road prowess that the Touareg is best known for, the purpose-built Race Touareg TDI Trophy Truck takes the Touareg's off-road tenaciousness to a whole new level. With a double A-Arm front suspension that allows 25 inches of wheel travel, and a 4-link rear suspension that allows 30 inches of wheel travel, combined with Fox Racing Shocks, Eibach Coils and BFGoodrich Baja KRT 37x13.5x17 off-road tires the Race Touareg TDI Trophy Truck should have little difficulty maneuvering the highly difficult and technical 634 mile Baja 1000 course.
- Bentley Azure T to debut at LA Auto ShowStylish and powerful, the new Bentley Azure T is the world's most elegant convertible and destined to become a future classic. With unique Bentley 'T' styling cues reinforcing its sporting stance, the 500bhp Azure T delivers driver-focused performance with the ability to transport four adults in first-class, open-top luxury.
The new Azure T, specified with the high performance version of Crewe's iconic 6¾ litre V8 engine, is the latest in a line of Bentley models to bear the 'T' legend. The 1996 Continental coupe was the first modern Bentley 'T', followed in 2002 by the Arnage T, both flagship models with a distinctive sporting character and thunderous performance.
The Azure's already striking form is now enhanced by 20-inch 5-spoke wheels and tyres, 'Le Mans' front wing vents, dark tint matrix grille and a sculpted, retractable Flying 'B' mascot.
For the performance-oriented Azure T, the twin-turbocharged V8 engine produces 500bhp and 1000 Nm of torque – an 11 per cent increase in power and a 14 per cent increase in torque over its 450bhp/875 Nm Azure stable mate.
- Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the AvenueOnce a year, the automotive community descends upon the Monterey area in search of the rare, the exclusive, and the expensive. Their efforts are rewarded with auctions, car shows, racing, driving tours, parties, and many more activates. It is a flurry of events that spans many days and includes The Quail - A Motorsport Gathering, the Monterey Historics, Concorso, and the Pebble Beach Concours. A newcomer to the list was added in 2007, called the 'Carmel-by-Sea Concours on the Avenue held in Carmel, CA.' It featured 130 vehicles with a different flavor than the other events held during this time. The vehicles in attendance were affordable, built between 1946 and 1971, and were household names that achieved serial production. Spectators reminisced about the showcars with many commenting that they had owned similar examples or remembered seeing them on the roadway. 'I remember when....' was a popular phrase as was 'Back in my day...'. Another interesting feature to this event was its admission price; most activities during this time are expensive, the 'Concours on the Avenue' is free.
- Lotus 2-Eleven GT4 SupersportBuilding on the success of the 2-Eleven road and track variants, Lotus Sport has developed this GT4 Supersport race car to compete in the European SRO GT4 Supersports category.
The Lotus Sport GT4 Supersport pushes the limits to the extreme: wearing a dramatic composite body, full rollcage and with increased power and a sequential gearbox it provides a race winning package. The GT4 Supersport offers an advanced aerodynamic package, with aggressive styling alluding to its searing performance and phenomenal racing potential.
Mike Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus plc said, 'Lotus has an enviable motor racing heritage that includes some of the most successful racing cars in history. We are confident that the 2-Eleven will continue our winning tradition and become a classic of the future. The 2-Eleven GT4 Supersport offers one of the most cost effective, competitive and easiest routes into this level of motorsport'.
- Saab Celebrates 25 years of Convertibles with Special EditionThe first ever Saab Convertible made its world debut at the Frankfurt auto show in the fall of 1983. Now, 25 years later, a Special Edition makes its American debut at the Los Angeles International auto show which opens to the public on November 22. This new version of the Saab 9-3 Convertible will be showcased in a unique bright champagne metallic color.
Saab surprised the automotive world when it pioneered the concept of a ‘four season, four-seat' soft top Convertible. Designed to be practical and stylish, the Scandinavian-styled convertible changed the perception of open top vehicles to be used all the year round.
- Studebaker Avanti R2The Studebaker Avanti's came standard with traction rods and large anti-sway bars front and rear. The first American automobile with standard front disc brakes, and built-in and upholstered roll bar. The rear brakes are large finned drums. This was also the first American car with unique dove tail door latches which prevents doors from opening in event of a severe impact. First America car with a standard built-in roll bar in the roof. This was the first American car with automatic transmission in which the driver had complete control of (if desired) transmission up-shifts and downshifts. A Revolution Limiter was built-in to prevent engine damage in case of accidental downshift at extremely high speeds.
There were 4,643 examples of the Studebaker Avanti produced.
This car is equipped with the optional factory installed Paxton Supercharger. The 289 cubic-inch V8 engine is designated as an R2 model. The R1 models are not supercharged.
- Willys InterlagosThe Berlinetta Willys Interlagos was the Renault Alpine A108, produced under license in Brazil, by Willys Overland do Brazil, from 1962 to 1966. The Renault Alpine A108, released in 1961, was designed by Giovanni Michelotti and Jean Redele, founder of Alpine, modified the design creating the Berlinetta version. This car is one of 744 and one of the last series produced in 1966. It is believed to be the only one in the USA. It is estimated that only 1/3 of the cars produced in Brazil are currently roadworthy. The motor was originally a 32 horsepower Renault Ventoux engine modified by Amedee Gordini reaching 70 horsepower.
- Two 1950s Auto Show Cars to Share the Spotlight at RM's 'Automoibles of Arizona' EventA rare, record-breaking 1954 Dodge Firearrow III Sport Concept by Ghia and a one-of-a-kind 1950 Saturn ‘Bob Hope Special' will take centre-stage at RM's prestigious Automobiles of Arizona event, January 16th in Phoenix, Arizona.
Each unique examples of automotive styling from the 1950s, the Arizona auction marks the first time these particular one-off cars have come to auction. These two unique motor cars will join over 120 exceptional vintage automobiles at RM's prestigious Automobiles of Arizona auction event.
- Ferrari Scuderia Spider 16MFerrari has chosen to unveil the new Scuderia Spider 16M at the World Finals in Mugello in celebration of its recent victory in the Formula 1 Constructor's World Championship 2008. This new high performance sports car features the very best of Ferrari's latest mid-rear-engined 8-cylinder technology. In fact, the Scuderia Spider 16M is faster round the Fiorano circuit than any other Prancing Horse open-top road car yet built. This truly evocative special series model, of which just 499 unique examples will be produced, is aimed at the most passionate clients, drivers who demand both exclusivity and superb driving pleasure.
The Scuderia Spider 16M is available in a choice of two new signature colour schemes: the standard version is black with grey trim, while a tricolour livery is also available as part of the Carrozzeria Scaglietti Personalisation Programme. The new car also sports a special plaque on its rear grille commemorating Ferrari's 16th Constructor's World title. The exclusivity of the interior is underscored by the silver 'limited series' plaque just above the air vents at the centre of the dashboard. Other exclusive features include a roll-bar with carbon-fibre outer shell and a specific new generation audio system that can be combined with the removable customised Ferrari iPod Touch 16 GB with central dock just in front of the dashboard.
- Morgan Plus Four PlusThis is the only closed car that Morgan has produced as a production series during its 100 year history. Built from 1963 to 1967, this car was the last of only 26 built (Built on February 7th of 1967). This car was originally dispatched to Holland. The present owner shipped it back to Holland for an event in 1987 and toured some 3000 miles through Holland, Germany and Belgium.
Although rare, this car is a well driven car. Besides Europe in 1987, it has been driven from the east coast to the west coast of the United States, from the northern most states to the Gulf of Mexico, nearly 77,000 miles to date. And more are being added now.
Only 26 of this model were produced by Morgan from 1963 until this car was delivered in 1967. Then Morgan abandoned the experiment for modernity and reverted back to only producing the traditional models.
- Ford Fairlane 500 SkylinerThe Ford retractable roof was originally developed for the limited-production Continental Mark II. With the price of the Mark II already so high, Ford decided against adding the retractable roof feature, as it would further inflate the price of a car that was already outlandishly expensive for its time. With an estimated $2 million already invested towards its development, Ford decided to apply the expensive new technology to their more affordable Fairlane model, giving birth to the 'Skyliner.' The promise of higher-volume production did a better job of amortizing the costs, and improved feasibility.
- Lamborghini EspadaMarcello Gandini of Bertone was asked to design and built a Gran Turismo based on the Marzal and Pirana showcars. This 2+2 car was suitable for long trips, with its short height and wide stance, 3.9-liter twelve-cylinder engine (capable of 325 horsepower), providing owner with a comfortable, yet powerful driving experience.
The Series II, also referred to as the 400 GTE, had vented disc brakes on all four corners, an improved 350 horsepower engine and a modified dashboard. There were 1,217 examples produced, making it the most successful Lamborghini model up to that point. The Espada was a practical and civilized sports car.
- Dodge Mopar Drift ChallengerMopar®, Chrysler LLC's global service and parts division, is bringing the all-new Dodge Challenger to the next generation of motorsports enthusiasts. Mopar will unveil the much-anticipated 2009 Mopar Drift Dodge Challenger today at the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas.
Team Mopar driver and two-time Formula Drift (FD) champion Samuel Hübinette, who will steer the Mopar Drift Dodge Challenger during the 2009 season, participated in the reveal. Hübinette's team owner Shaun Carlson, owner of NuFormz Racing, was also in attendance. Carlson spearheaded the build of the Mopar Drift Dodge Challenger at his NuFormz Racing shop in Ontario, Calif.
The unveiling of the Mopar Drift Dodge Challenger at SEMA continues Mopar's long commitment to the rising motorsport of drifting. Mopar and Hübinette teamed up to capture the inaugural FD championship in 2004, with Hübinette also taking the 2006 FD title. Hübinette has claimed nine career FD victories, a series high, spreading the word about Mopar power to the younger demographic of race fans that follow drifting.
'The debut of the Mopar Drift Dodge Challenger solidifies the Mopar theme — if you can dream it, you can build it with Mopar,' said Steve Shugg, Director of Sales and Marketing – Mopar, Chrysler LLC. 'Mopar is reaching out to today's car enthusiast by combining its storied racing heritage with a variety of performance and accessory products that allow customers to make a personal statement with their vehicle.'
- Five Axis Yaris Club SedanThe Yaris Club project pays tribute to Toyota's racing heritage harkening back to the late ‘60s when Toyota challenged for the Group 7 category of Can-Am racing with the Toyota 7.
The Yaris Club is a stripped-down, no-nonsense car with no extras – only what is needed to perform. The roof has been removed and the windshield lowered. With the interior removed, a tonneau was fabricated, turning the Yaris into a single seater with a fairing that doubles as a driver headrest.
A supercharger, exhaust headers and a free-flowing exhaust were added for performance to back up the good looks. The suspension was lowered by two inches with front and rear coil-over shocks and larger brakes added. The Yaris Club was developed by Five Axis in Huntington Beach, Calif.
- Ford F-150 SVT RAPTORFord, the definitive leader in tough trucks, is further building on its solid foundation of the new F-150 to deliver the all-new 2010 F-150 SVT Raptor, a purpose-built, high-performance off-road truck versatile enough to take on the most challenging desert adventures as well as the everyday commute.
'Ford trucks have been a mainstay on the off-road racing scene for more that 20 years because of our long history of capability and durability,' said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president for Global Product Development. 'With the F-150 SVT Raptor, we are delivering a true off-road performance truck with the proven ‘Built Ford Tough' capability and durability that is at the core of every F-150 and the best in performance thanks to the team at SVT.'
'Like its fighter jet and dinosaur namesakes, the F-150 SVT Raptor is tough, fast, aggressive, and built with the off-road enthusiast in mind,' he added.
- Ford Mustang FR500CJWith the addition of the 2008 Cobra Jet Mustang, Ford Racing will have once again expanded its current stable of race-ready Mustang race cars.
This time, however, the Mustang is designed for drag racing.
The Mustang FR500CJ, known simply as the Cobra Jet, will be officially unveiled Nov. 4 at the 2008 SEMA Show in Las Vegas. It joins its road racing brethren: the Mustang FR500S, the Mustang FR500C and the Mustang FR500GT.
'The Cobra Jet is the newest offspring of the Ford Racing lineup of race cars,' said Jamie Allison, manager of the Ford Racing Performance Group. 'We started with the FR500C in 2005 and then followed by the FR500S in 2007.
'All along the way, we worked with Brian Wolfe, who, at the time, was really in the calibration activity. He oversaw worldwide calibrations, and he was a big supporter of Ford Racing, both professionally and personally,' Allison said. 'He had always kind of asked us about our plans to do a drag race car and the time had just come early this year to, indeed, take all of the lessons we learned, all the processes, all of the relationships that we have inside with the plant and with the team and put together a sportsmen-destined drag race Mustang. Clearly, what we did in 1968 is the impetus for it, and we felt that it was time to bring back the Cobra Jet.'
- Hyundai Genesis RHYS Millen RacingIn February, Rhys Millen Racing (RMR) approached Hyundai Motor America with a unique concept to introduce the all-new 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe to the aftermarket and racing enthusiasts prior to its spring 2009 on-sale date. The RMR-designed 'Art of Speed' Genesis Coupe called for a vehicle with the visual impact to win awards at the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show while boasting sufficient performance to put the driver in the winner's circle the following weekend. Backed by Rhys Millen's reputation both on the track and in the aftermarket, Hyundai delivered its first prototype Genesis Coupe 2.0T to the RMR shop on August 8, allowing just 12 weeks of build time before the doors opened at SEMA in Las Vegas on November 4.
A crew of six RMR employees promptly stripped the car to bare metal. At the same time, the crew began custom-fabricating new aftermarket parts and accessories for the Genesis Coupe which are certain to be among the first available in the aftermarket once Hyundai's newest addition takes to the streets next year.
In the weeks that followed, RMR developed a machine that retains the distinct, bold look of the Genesis Coupe, but adds flair with custom components on the exterior, a radically altered racing-spec interior and serious performance enhancements from under the hood all the way to the pavement.
- Hyundai Genesis Street ConceptsHyundai Motor America announced that it is partnering with Street Concepts, one of the leading developers of auto show vehicles, to create a modified Genesis Coupe for the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show. The all-new, rear-wheel drive Street Concepts Genesis Coupe will make its SEMA Show debut at the Las Vegas Convention Center on November 4, 2008. The Street Concepts Genesis Coupe will join vehicles designed by Rhys Millen and HKS as the third Genesis Coupe scheduled to appear at SEMA.
'Its aggressive, powerful design and high performance attributes make the Genesis Coupe a perfect vehicle for SEMA,' said Shawn Williams, owner, Street Concepts. 'We plan to maximize the driving capabilities of the Genesis Coupe while striving for a level of practicality so that average consumers can take ideas from our vehicle and adapt it to their own.'
The Street Concepts Genesis Coupe will be outfitted with a black camouflage, stealth fighter-inspired paint design that compliments its styling. The exterior will also feature a custom grille design, tinted taillights and an APR rear wing.
- Hyundai HKS GenesisHyundai Motor America today announced that HKS USA, Inc. will create a high-performance Genesis Coupe 2.0t for the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show. The all-new, rear-wheel drive Hyundai model will make its SEMA debut at the Las Vegas Convention Center Nov. 4 – Nov. 7, 2008. HKS, the leading manufacturer of premium performance parts, is the second company to join Hyundai for this year's SEMA show.
'Genesis Coupe has the basic DNA that HKS looks for – an excellent chassis, rear-wheel drive, aggressive styling and a new generation turbo-charged engine. These attributes provide the opportunity for HKS to maximize the Genesis Coupe driving performance capabilities for the serious driving enthusiast,' said Rick Lafferty, president, HKS USA, Inc. 'HKS is allocating R&D, engineering and prototyping resources to lay the groundwork for HKS-brand Genesis Coupe performance parts. We are looking forward to working with Hyundai to realize the full performance potential of the Genesis Coupe.'
The HKS plan for the Genesis Coupe includes a HKS GT Turbo upgrade to maximize horsepower and torque, HKS engine internals, HKS limited-edition turbo exhaust system, HKS Super Mega Flow Intake System, HKS Engine Management and HKS Hipermax III fully-adjustable suspension.
- Hyundai RIDES Genesis SedanHyundai Motor America and RIDES magazine are teaming up to develop a customized Hyundai Genesis for the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show. The RIDES Genesis will be the ultimate in technology, style and refinement, containing the latest in technology both inside and out. As added incentive to visit the Hyundai display, 5,000 RIDES Digital Genesis iTunes cards will be distributed from the car's Wi-Fi network during the show at the Las Vegas Convention Center from Nov. 4 – Nov. 7, 2008.
'This Genesis perfectly suits the mobile executive, with multiple Mac computers and its own mobile Wi-Fi network,' said Ben Harris, associate publisher, RIDES. 'All of the modifications compliment the Genesis' natural attributes and emphasize the sleek look and luxury interior. We are looking forward to the SEMA show and displaying this amazing vehicle.'
Inside, the RIDES Genesis will feature the latest in digital accessories including two Mac Mini computers, a MacBook Air, iPod Touch, iPhone 3G, high-speed Wi-Fi internet connection and movie theater-quality surround sound. The trunk will house its own Mac mini computer, a 20-inch Apple Cinema Display and a motorized tray containing the mouse and keyboard for the rear computer. Within the center console will be the iPhone 3G, Mac Book Air laptop and wireless keyboard and mouse for the Mac Mini mounted on the rear deck. Each passenger in the back seat has their own computer with internet connectivity. The 8.4-inch VGA headrest monitors are wrapped in the original leather to maintain the OE look and feel, while the seats contain suede accents.
- Hyundai RKSport GenesisHyundai America Technical Center, Inc. (HATCI) and RKSport, Inc. teamed up to develop a customized, high-performance Genesis sedan for the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show. HATCI contributed a supercharged Tau V8 engine with cylinder deactivation technology that boosts output to 460-horsepower and improves fuel economy by up to 8 percent. RKSport customized the recently launched rear-wheel drive Genesis inside and out to help make it one of the main attractions at Hyundai's booth in the Las Vegas Convention Center from Nov. 4 – Nov. 7, 2008.
'The 2009 Hyundai Genesis provides us a great opportunity to expand on the overall concepts originally designed by Hyundai engineers,' says Bob Smith, owner, RKSport. 'We plan to maximize the performance abilities of the Genesis and are looking forward to developing a must-see car at this year's SEMA show.'
The RKSport/HATCI Genesis is designed with an understated elegance. The Platinum Silver color scheme highlights the body kit, exterior components, clean lines and contours of the vehicle. Under the skin, the car is powered by Hyundai's state of the art 4.6-liter Tau engine, which produces 460-horsepower with the help of an IHI screw-type supercharger and 11 pounds of boost for performance driving. The car reaches 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and clicks through the quarter mile gate in 13.58 seconds at 108 mph.
- Mercedes-Benz GLK Urban Whip Boulevard CustomWhen the word went out that Mercedes was running a tuner competition centered on the new GLK luxury SUV, Boulevard identified immediately with the brief for the Urban Whip and lost no time in getting to work.
'I've been a Mercedes fan since childhood,' says Boulevard President Chris Bradley, 'and when I reviewed the design brief for the Urban Whip I said to myself, ‘we can do this better than anyone''.
While it may be one of the smaller competitors in the field, Boulevard is big on ideas. Taking its inspiration from a number of Mercedes models, the company set about creating a visual interpretation of the GLK that would put it at the very top of the food chain in the urban jungle.
The most striking feature of the Urban Whip is what is doesn't have – a roof. Although the original brief required the design to retain the structural integrity of the GLK, the aggressive look of the custom-made wide-body kit - which was developed in cooperation with RoBrady Design – made the roadster temptation difficult to resist. Boulevard submitted renderings of its roadster ideas to Mercedes-Benz USA and approval was received in double quick time.
- SEMA 2008The annual SEMA Show represents the pulse of the specialty-equipment industry. With more than 1,000 new products, highly customized vehicles representing virtually all market segments and educational seminars to shift your business into high gear, there is enough to keep your senses overloaded throughout the week.
- Subaru Forester XTI ConceptSubaru of America, Inc. today revealed the Forester® XTI Concept. It will be unveiled to the public at the 2008 Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) Show, which runs at the Las Vegas Convention Center Nov. 4-7. The Forester XTI Concept combines the versatility of the all-new Forester 2.5XT with the all-out street performance of the rally-bred Impreza® WRX STI.
All new for 2009, the Forester was named MOTOR TREND magazine's SUV of the Year. The magazine applauded the new Forester's combination of performance, utility, comfort, safety technology and value in giving it the award. MOTOR TREND editor Angus MacKenzie, citing the judges' unanimous decision, said, 'The Subaru Forester is the SUV for our times.' The new Forester XTI Concept is an SUV for 0-60 times, estimated to hit the mark in less than 5 seconds.
- Toyota Tacoma X-Runner ConceptThe Toyota Racing Development (TRD) X-Runner concept explores the boundaries of sport truck power and performance. The TRD X-Runner adds several newly designed and developed components and a carefully tuned chassis, taking the truck to new levels of performance and styling.
Power has been increased dramatically by modifying and upgrading the standard 4.0-liter DOHC VVT-i V6 and adding a new TRD designed supercharger and intercooler package. The supercharger features an Eaton Roots-type supercharger with an integrated air-to-liquid intercooler. Performance is further enhanced by a fully functional hood scoop.
TRD modified the internal engine components with new pistons, connecting rods, camshafts and other equipment to provide 400 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. torque, a boost of over 160 horsepower and 80 lb.-ft. torque. The engine is mated to the Tacoma six-speed manual transmission, using a special Kaiten billet steel flywheel that is 30-percent lighter than stock, along with a heavy-duty ceramic metallic Aisin clutch. DC Sports custom fabricated the true-dual polished stainless side-exit exhaust system.
- TUNDRA/DUCATI TRANSPORTERThe Ducati Desmosedici RR is the only street legal MotoGP bike ever produced. The ultimate track day bike requires the ultimate transport; that's where Toyota comes in with the 2009 Tundra Ducati Desmosedici transporter.
The Tundra/Ducati Transporter is built on a Tundra CrewMax, which has been modified to accept a 6.5-inch bed. The transporter is tied thematically to the bike, incorporating Ducati Corse style along with high tech materials and execution to create synergies for two companies obsessed with quality and performance. Additional features include major bed innovations such as flip up bedsides, a motorized loading ramp by Rampage, integrated tool and spares storage, and popup solar panels for accessory power.
Performance is enhanced through the full catalog of TRD Performance parts such as supercharger, exhaust, intake, suspension and brakes. The interior treatment by Fast Ed's Interiors combines high tech style with Italian flair.
- Volkswagen CC Eco Performance ConceptPowerful performance meets luxury in the Super CC performance concept Volkswagen unveiled at the 2008 SEMA show in Las Vegas.
The Performance CC brings a sleek exterior treatment highlighted by black chrome exterior accents, grey pearl paint with custom front and rear bumper, side panels and machined aluminum spoiler. The black treatment continues inside with high-gloss piano black accents offset by matte black graphics. Customer black leather Recaro seats and matching floor mats are highlighted with white piping.
While the Performance CC looks striking, the upgrades will get hearts racing, the 2.0L TSI engine has been upgraded with an APR stage 3 turbocharger system with three performance levels. In Full Power mode the Performance CC brings 311 hp and 313 lbs. ft. torque; GT mode offers 252 hp and 268 lbs. ft. of torque; and in the Eco mode 222 hp and 236 lbs. ft. of torque. Also included is the APR stainless steel performance exhaust system. Key fact to take note of is that in the Eco performance mode, horsepower went up, as well as fuel economy. A production 2.0T CC automatic gets 28 hwy/19 city and our CC in Eco mode gets 33 hwy, 27 city. Even the full power mode showed a fuel economy increase!
- Chevrolet Camaro Black ConceptIt's hard to go unnoticed in a 2010 Camaro, but the Camaro Black Concept suggests a stealthy approach to street style. From its matte black-finished hood and ground effects to its dark wheels and red-glowing HID headlamp halo rings, the Camaro Black Concept is a sinister-looking urban tuner vehicle.
Under the hood is the production 3.6L V-6 that produces 300 horsepower. A Chevy Accessories engine cover provides a suitable accent.
- Chevrolet Camaro LS7 ConceptDesigned to highlight the capability of the new Camaro as a weekend bracket warrior, the Camaro LS7 Concept combines the power of a GM Performance Parts' LS7 crate engine and targeted bolt-on upgrades to deliver the wheels-up spirit of the legendary COPO Camaros.
Made famous by Chevy dealers like Don Yenko and Fred Gibb in the late 1960s, the COPO cars were ordered for one thing: drag racing. They were quickly outfitted after delivery with the requisite tires, safety equipment and other accessories necessary for competition in popular Stock-class drag racing series.
The LS7 Concept honors the COPO ethos with features such as drag strip-ready rubber on the rear wheels – and unlike many of the stripped-down racers from 40 years ago, this strip-ready competitor serves double duty as both a racecar and a daily driver.
- Hamann VolcanoThe serial Mercedes-Benz SLR is already one of the most impressive cars on our roads – but compared to the HAMANN VOLCANO it still looks rather harmless. Once again, HAMANN-Motorsport proves its cutting edge when it comes to refining superb sports cars. From a lift-reducing body design to a powerful performance enhancement to a lavishly styled interior, HAMANN focuses on all components of this luxury car and makes the automobile dreams of its exclusive clientele come true.
The total makeover of the Laupheim-based refiner is made of extremely light full carbon and consists of front- and rear wing extensions and also new side skirt attachments and sheathings. The front view of the Volcano is optically perfected with a newly designed bonnet which enhances the overall impression by its integrated hood scoop. But also for the rear, the refining technicians implemented new ideas giving the SLR appearance its finishing touch. Under the boot lid cover, HAMANN placed a strong diffuser which improves the car´s output in combination with the large rear wing. At the front axle, a newly developed front spoiler renders the necessary contact pressure. If desired, an especially developed overall paint for the VOLCANO in either aluminium/chrome or white/matt completes the striking appearance of this bolide.
- Hilton Head Concours : Best of ShowSunday's Concours d'Elegance top honor, 'Best of Show,' was awarded to a 1928 Packard 4-43 Phaeton owned by Gordon Logan of Georgetown, TX. The Phaeton originally purchased as new by Mr. Logan's father was sold in 1956. The car, which traveled as far as England and Scotland in its lifetime, was reacquired by Mr. Logan in 2004. Other significant awards on Sunday included 'People's Choice' awarded to a 1930 Pierce-Arrow Convertible Victoria owned by Lawrence and Miriam Waterhouse of Hilton Head Island, SC. Lawrence is the Grandson of Charles L. Waterhouse, one of the founders of the Waterhouse Custom Body Co. Most Outstanding Car – Pre-1945 went to, again, Mr. Gordon Logan's 1928 Packard 4-43 Phaeton and Most Outstanding Car – Post 1945 went to a 1954 Cunningham C3 Continental Competition Coupe owned by Mark Hyman of St. Louis, MO.
- Hummer H3 Alpha Four Wheeler Project Trailhugger ConceptPartnering with HUMMER, Four Wheeler Magazine built an H3 Alpha with an all-business demeanor and greater off-road capability, while retaining daily-driver comfort and fuel economy.
The project, dubbed 'Trailhugger,' started by 'de-glossing' the H3. That entailed painting the chrome and bright trim flat black and modifying the factory's shiny Victory Red clear coat paint job with a special PPG flattening agent mixed with clear to give it a satin appearance. The editors also added HUMMER's brush guard, roof lighting and rocker protection accessories.
After that, Four Wheeler swapped in a set of nitrogen-charged, 2-inch-diameter Rod Hall Racing piggyback reservoir-type performance shocks and Light Racing JounceShocks. The editors also installed a set of GT Inc. Simulock 16-inch wheels – painted flat black to match the rest of the exterior theme. They're factory-style HUMMER wheels with a simulated bead lock accent on the perimeter. The wheels were mounted on the H3 with a set of BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 LT285/75R16 tires. The editors chose not to give the H3 a body lift, preferring to explore its capabilities with the stock ride height.
Additional modifications in the ongoing project include a Gobi Stealth roof rack with a custom, wireless remote-operated perimeter lighting system (with 10 PIAA 2100XT lamps) using components from Directed Electronics; a Warn XD9000 winch with winchline.com's synthetic rope and hawse fairlead; DeFelice Offroad Innovations winch mount system and Up Armor skid plate.
- Hummer H3 X ConceptThe HUMMER H3 X Alpha is a stylish and capable vehicle straight from the factory, but the H3 X Concept takes style and exclusivity to the next level. Production equipment includes bright roof crossbows; chrome fuel filler door, assist steps and brush guard; body-color grille and spare tire cover; 18-inch wheels and embroidered seat headrests.
The exterior is painted a distinctive Canyon Metallic color from PPG that is complemented brilliantly by the black chrome details and 18-inch wheels. The interior features black leather trim on the seats, console armrest, door armrests and shift knob that is accented with orange stitching. It also features custom mats with orange piping and a headrest DVD entertainment system that is available from HUMMER Accessories.
Powering the H3 X Concept is the Alpha model's 5.3L V-8 engine that delivers 300 horsepower (224 kW) and 320 lb.-ft. of torque (434 Nm). It is partnered with a four-speed automatic transmission and enables great off-road driving control and a towing capacity of 6,000 pounds (2,721 kg) – enough to haul a trailer packed with a weekend's worth of dirt bikes, camping gear and more.
- Hummer H3T Weekend WarriorThe H3T Weekend Warrior concept demonstrates the added extreme capability and functionality that can be accomplished with the H3T and a few weekends in the garage. Enhanced performance under the hood and from the suspension is due to the development work of HUMMER's off-road engineers and the technology transfer from HUMMER's championship-winning racing program.
Starting with a new H3T Alpha, engineers added nearly 70 horsepower to its 5.3L V-8 via components available through GM Performance Parts. They include LS2 cylinder heads (part number 12576063), a higher-lift camshaft (part number 12574519) and supporting components. Also enhancing performance is a custom, 3.5-inch exhaust system.
Taking a note from the playbook of the HUMMER stock-class race program, the H3T rides on 35-inch-tall BFGoodrich Baja T/A tires mounted on HUMMER Accessories 20-inch wheels. The concept also uses racing-proven stock and aftermarket suspension components, including Light Racing JounceShocks and 2-inch-diameter Rod Hall Racing piggyback reservoir-type performance shocks. The modified suspension improves the H3T's inherent off-road capability, making it the ideal high-speed desert chase truck. There is also a set of high-performance disc brakes from DBA.
- Pontiac G8 GXP Street ConceptBoth the Pontiac G8 GXP and the LSX454 crate engine from GM Performance Parts are new this fall. GM engineers figured there was no better way to highlight them than combining them in an intimidating street machine.
In factory form, the G8 GXP features a 6.2L (376-cu.-in.) V-8 rated at 415 horsepower (309 kW) and 415 lb.-ft. of torque (562 Nm), but the new LSX454 (part number 19166972) delivers 7.4 liters of unadulterated grunt. It cranks out 638 horsepower (476 kW) and 600 lb.-ft. of torque (813 Nm). The engine uses the LSX Bowtie cylinder block, new six-bolt LSX cylinder heads and an all-forged rotating assembly. Backing the LSX454 is the GXP's Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.
- Pontiac G8 ST ConceptThe 2010 Pontiac G8 ST is a dramatically different vehicle that blends the performance of the G8 sports sedan with the cargo capabilities of a light truck. It significantly stretches Pontiac's commitment to style and performance and is expected to arrive in dealers' showrooms in late 2009.
Pontiac ramps up the excitement for the production model with a concept vehicle upgraded with accessories that inspire enthusiasts about the possibilities of this distinctive vehicle. In fact, this concept incorporates many parts that will likely be offered by GM Accessories when the G8 ST hits dealerships.
- Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe ConceptNew for 2009 is the Solstice coupe – a sleek, fastback-styled hardtop body style with a removable roof panel. It enables an open-air driving experience yet offers a greater range of all-season driving opportunities.
Like the Solstice roadster, the new coupe model is available in high-performance GXP form, including the 260-horsepower (194 kW) turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec engine – a powertrain that uses direct injection technology to deliver up to 28 mpg in EPA-rated highway economy.
Pontiac brings a specially outfitted Solstice GXP coupe to SEMA. It is equipped with GM Performance Parts' Stage 2 performance kit and performance air intake kit, which boost horsepower to about 290 (216 kW). The car also wears a GM Performance Parts cat-back exhaust system and race-ready suspension kit. It rolls on polished factory wheels.
- Top Seller at the Worldwide Group's Hilton Head AuctionThe 1942 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Sport Cabriolet with coachwork by Touring was anticipated to sell for $400,000 - $500,000. It was one of the highlights of the Worldwide Group's Hilton Head Auction and was their top seller. It is an amazing car with invitations to the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours and The Quail Motorsport Gathering, two very important incentives that would surly strengthen its appeal.
Bidding started off strong, with several individuals bidding on the vehicle. When the gavel finally fell several minutes later, the car had been sold though it failed to reach the estimated value. The lucky new owner had purchased the car for $354,400 including buyer's premium.