2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 |
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec |
- Amelia Island Concours d'EleganceIf racing improves the breed, then the Amelia Island Concours is the finest. Concours d'Elegances, meaning 'Parade of Excellence', is a lineup of special events that often feature the most exquisite automobiles ever created. This year's Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance had a different scene than one would expect; it began with a sound more fitting for a race track than a high-class event. Approximately forty Trans-Am racers could be heard throughout the Concours weekend with their loud, ground shaking thunderous voice that was often followed by a ferocious roar and uncontrollable spinning of tires.
The Amelia Island Concours puts a strong emphasis on honoring the legends of racing and the cars that chased the checkered flag. This year, there were probably more cars that had a racing pedigree or been designed for sporty driving, then were the antique, luxury, and classic cars. Accompanying the three designated Race Car categories were special groups for Beach Racers, Corvette Race Cars, Porsche Racing Cars, race cars of Parnelli Jones, three categories of Sports Cars, and two categories for Trans-Am racing legends.
This was the 13th edition of the annual Amelia concours event, and American racing legend Parnelli Jones was chosen as the honoree. 'When one talks about versatile race car drivers, the name Parnelli Jones is right at the top of the list for most people,' says Bill Warner, Concours founder and chairman. 'We're thrilled to have him at our event. He was a champion in Indy, Trans-Am, sprint cars, stock cars, USRRC, and off-road racing. There aren't many drivers who can claim that kind of a record.'
- Chevrolet Corvette C6 Coupe CompetitionIn addition to the limited-edition Corvette Victory Edition, a second special version of the all-American sports car will be introduced this spring, the Corvette Competition. This model, built in limited numbers on the basis of the C6 Coupé, bears strong links to motor sport too, in which the Corvette has proven highly successful. The Corvette Competition will be offered at a competitive price.
The new Corvette Competition is launched to celebrate the start of a new racing season. The 56th edition of the legendary Sebring Twelve Hours on 15 March was the first race in the American Le Mans Series championship (ALMS). In Sebring Corvette Racing scored another double victory in the GT1 category. The special Competition version of ALMS-champion Corvette bears subtle resemblances to the successful C6.R race car. The number of available options on the new car is limited, in order to save as much weight as possible. Another point in common are the air scoops with honeycomb pattern in the front grill and in between the double twin exhaust pipes at the rear. The rear spoiler, borrowed from the Z06 model, not only contributes to excellent aerodynamic properties but is evidence to the Corvette's fine motor sport heritage as well. The bold looks of the Corvette Competition are complemented by 5-spoke alloys (18 inch at the front, 19 inch at the rear) in the colour Competition Grey. Another distinguishing feature of this limited-edition Corvette is its body colour: black.
- Land Rover LR3 G4 ChallengeLand Rover is gearing up for the 2009 G4 Challenge with U.S. National Selections this May in the state of Nevada. To celebrate this off-road driving and adventure competition, Land Rover presents a 2008 Land Rover LR3 that is outfitted for the G4 Challenge.
Land Rover Managing Director Phil Popham said: 'The Land Rover G4 Challenge is an incredible programme that demonstrates our products' breadth of capability and displays our desire to always push the boundaries of adventure. It is ideal to work as a fundraising and awareness building platform for a humanitarian organisation and we are delighted that we can now make the most of the Challenge's success and leave a lasting positive legacy by working with the International Federation.
'Land Rover is a strong brand that has a natural fit with humanitarian organisations in general. Our association with the International Federation goes back a long way, to 1954, when Land Rover supplied a long-wheelbase Series 1 to the British Red Cross for use in Dubai as a mobile dispensary. We are now looking forward to forging closer links with the International Federation through the Land Rover G4 Challenge.'
- The 2008 NY Auto Show : Report and PhotosThe New York Auto Show attracts more than 1.2-million visitors a year, more than any other auto show in the country. This is an amazing accomplishment as most of the residents in the surrounding neighborhoods do not own automobiles. The event is held at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in midtown Manhattan overlooking the Hudson River. The 1000-plus vehicles are housed in the Javits Center's 846,000 square feet of display space and on several floors.
The 2008 NY Auto Show delivered many important introductions aimed at tackling an industry that is constantly criticized and critiqued. From the fuel-efficient vehicles to the tire-burning muscle cars, to the dramatic concepts and the realistic prototypes, the NY Auto Show offers the final major US glimpse into the direction of the auto industry and the strides being made by automakers.
- New York Auto Show : List of Concepts & DebutsKicking off the springtime selling season, the 2008 New York International Automobile Show features an impressive collection of cutting-edge design and remarkable innovation. More than four floors of displays from the world's automakers feature the newest vehicles and futuristic concept cars. More than 1,000 cars and trucks are be on display at the Javits Center, filling 846,000 square feet of exhibit space. In addition, dozens of World and North American vehicle debuts are expected at the Show.
The media days for the event for the even are the 19th and 20th of March. The doors to the Javits Center are opened to the public beginning on March 21th and continuing until the 30th.
Following the link is an ever-growing list of debuts and concepts.
- 2009 Kia OptimaKia Motors America (KMA) today globally unveiled the 2009 Optima midsize sedan at the New York International Auto Show. On sale in early fall, the refreshed Optima offers a completely modified exterior, which offers a more aggressive, dynamic style than previous models, and is outfitted with a new engine that provides more power and better fuel economy. For 2009, Optima also is larger than its predecessors, which complements its distinctive new styling and separates itself from other vehicles in the growing midsize segment.
'Optima is in a strong position to change the way consumers think about midsize sedan offerings,' said Tom Loveless, vice president, sales of KMA. 'Already known for its exemplary quality, safety and value, Optima's sleek new redesign provides consumers with a sporty, fuel-efficient choice and showcases Kia's commitment to providing the best all-around vehicle package.'
- 2009 Nissan MaximaThe 2009 Nissan Maxima, which makes its world debut at the 2008 New York International Auto Show, marks a return to the longtime Nissan flagship sedan's roots as a commanding 4-door sports car – a vehicle that is unique in both appearance and driving feel, with renewed relevance for today's active and ambitious sedan buyers. In other words, the Maxima is back.
The all-new 2009 Maxima will be offered as two well-equipped models, Maxima 3.5 S and Maxima 3.5 SV, and is scheduled to arrive at Nissan dealers nationwide in early summer 2008.
'Maxima has always enjoyed a certain ‘duality' – a unique fusion of sedan practicality with the soul of a sports car,' said Al Castignetti, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division, Nissan North America, Inc. 'In recent years, however, competitive vehicles have caught up with Maxima in ‘sporty' looks and performance. For 2009, Nissan is reclaiming its rich 4-Door Sports Car heritage with an infusion of emotional design, driving excitement and advanced technology – creating a silky, stimulating sports sedan like no other on the road today.'
- Infiniti FXThe all-new, second-generation Infiniti FX, which goes on sale at Infiniti dealers in the United States and Canada in June 2008, is a radical expression of sport and utility – offering exceptional levels of power, refinement and driving exhilaration.
Created as a fusion of luxury, performance and the utility of an SUV, it offers head-turning styling and an advanced sports platform, along with a choice of a new 390-horsepower 5.0-liter 32-valve DOHC V8 engine with VVEL (for Variable Valve Event & Lift) or 303-horsepower 3.5-liter 24-valve DOHC V6. Each engine is paired with standard 7-speed automatic transmission featuring Adaptive Shift Control (ASC) and available solid magnesium paddle shifters.
The 2009 FX is also offered with available Intelligent All-Wheel Drive, double-wishbone front/multi-link rear suspension and large 4-wheel disc brakes, along with available Continuous Damping Control (CDC) suspension system, Rear-Active Steer and 21-inch Enkei super lightweight aluminum-alloy wheels.
- Kia KOUP ConceptCombining youthful exuberance with a sporty and sleek design, Kia Motors America (KMA) today globally debuted the KOUP concept at the 2008 New York International Auto Show (NYIAS) during a press conference at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. Illustrating the shape and evolution of future Kia vehicles, the simple yet bold and aggressive KOUP exterior is complemented by its realistic and sleek interior design. Originating from the Kia Motors America Design Center in Irvine, Calif., the KOUP concept embodies Kia's philosophy of 'Exciting and Enabling' with its balanced proportions and fluid design set to evoke an emotional driving experience.
'The Kia KOUP concept represents the future of the Kia brand and its dynamic vehicles that speak to our core philosophies,' said Tom Kearns, chief designer of KMA. 'Kia strives to appeal to the emotional side of car enthusiasts who seek adventure and want to take a leap into the future with style and advanced technology, and the KOUP effectively delivers.'
- Nissan Denki Cube ConceptNew York City is about to get a lesson in what happens when geography meets geometry – specifically, when the world, which is round, meets the Nissan Cube, which is essentially square. The occasion is the world debut of the Nissan Denki (Japanese for 'electric') Cube Concept at the 2008 New York International Auto Show.
The lithium-ion battery-powered Denki Cube electric vehicle concept, which will be on public display at the Nissan exhibit at Jacob Javits Convention Center from March 21 through March 30, was created to draw attention to Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.'s (NML) global environmental efforts. It also serves as a preview of Nissan's future small car strategy for the North American market, which includes plans to sell a redesigned gasoline-powered, next-generation Cube at Nissan dealers in the United States and Canada beginning in 2009.
'The Denki Cube Concept is a fun way to expose American buyers to one of Nissan's most popular home market cars at a time when fuel economy and packaging efficiency are on a lot of people's minds,' said Al Castignetti, senior vice president, sales and marketing, Nissan North America, Inc. 'Like the production Cube on which it is based, the Denki Cube Concept is boxy yet charming, fashionable and functional, and completely tuned in to today's needs for enjoyable efficiency.'
- Saleen Gurney Signature Edition MustangSaleen Automotive, America's premiere automotive enthusiast brand for over a quarter of a century, announced today at the New York Auto Show that it has entered into a partnership with American automotive legend Dan Gurney for creation of a special Gurney Signature Edition Mustang. 'It is amazing that just two years ago Saleen was standing on stage here at the Javitz Center with Parnelli Jones and today we are with his long time rival and friend, and truthfully one of America's racing heroes, Mr. Dan Gurney,' said Saleen President and CEO Paul Wilbur.
All 300 of the Gurney Signature Edition vehicles will feature Saleen's 465 Hp supercharged 281 cubic inch engine, short throw shifter, and 3.73 Max Grip rear axle. In addition, the vehicles will have custom two-tone seats that feature either blue or red AlcantaraTM inserts designed to keep your rear end planted firmly behind the wheel. The legendary Gurney Eagle© logo is featured on the steering wheel and several other places around the car.
- 2009 Honda FitThe all-new 2009 Honda Fit, set to go on sale in the U.S. this fall, is making its U.S. debut at the New York International Auto Show, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced today. The Fit promises to further its leadership in the subcompact segment with top-of-class feature content, including an available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™; improved interior functionality, including one-motion dive-down rear seats; enhanced sporty demeanor through improved suspension, steering and body rigidity; and high levels of standard safety equipment, including Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure.
'Critics and customers alike have voted the Fit among the best small vehicles on the road,' said **** Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda. 'This new Fit raises the bar even further, taking what was already great about the Fit, making it even better and throwing in a healthy dose of refinement.'
- Hyundai Genesis CoupeHyundai unveiled Genesis Coupe, the new benchmark for attainable 300-horsepower sport coupes, during a press conference at the New York International Auto Show today. The 2010 Genesis Coupe is a purpose-built rear-wheel drive sport coupe featuring two performance-focused engines – a 212-horsepower (est.), 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and a range-topping all-aluminum, 306-horsepower (est.), DOHC 3.8-liter V6 engine. Genesis Coupe is scheduled to join the Hyundai lineup in the spring of 2009.
Following the introduction earlier this year of the rear-wheel drive Genesis sport sedan, Genesis Coupe is Hyundai's most dynamic performance car ever and the second consecutive all-new model introduction from Hyundai appealing directly to the car enthusiast. Genesis Coupe uses the same flexible rear-wheel drive architecture originally developed for the Genesis sport sedan.
'We think our entry-level Genesis Coupe 2.0t, with its unique combination of rear-wheel drive and four-cylinder turbo power, offers an intriguing alternative to existing front-wheel drive sport coupes,' said John Krafcik, vice president, product development and strategic planning, Hyundai Motor America. 'The 3.8-liter version of Genesis Coupe takes driving to an even higher level, rivaling the capability of premium-performance coupes like the Infiniti G37.'
- Pontiac Solstice CoupeDrawing inspiration from classic sports cars, the 2009 Pontiac Solstice coupe was created for drivers who appreciate both dramatic styling and balanced performance. Unveiled at the New York Auto Show as a GXP model, the Solstice coupe builds on the success of the convertible model while offering a greater range of all-season driving opportunities.
For drivers still wanting an open-air experience, the coupe also features a removable roof panel, fully opening the cockpit to all of the sensations of the road.
'Today's Solstice is the top-selling roadster in the U.S., and we believe this new model has even broader appeal,' said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager. 'The coupe has all the design cues and pleasing performance of the original roadster, and is an all-season alternative for people who enjoy open-air driving.'
The coupe is expected to arrive in Pontiac dealerships in early 2009.
- Saleen S5S Raptor ConceptThe newest high-performance supercar design from the Saleen marquee, the S5S Raptor, is expected to be unveiled at the NY Auto Show. The five-liter, mid-mounted engine is expected to produce 650 horsepower and 630 foot-pounds of torque. All while sipping on environmentally friendly, E85 ethanol. The chassis is aluminum with seating for two and riding on 20-inch wheels. Stopping power is provided by the six-pot calibers with 15-inch rotors in the front. A six-speed sequential gearbox with paddle shifters is also expected to be part of the package.
The Saleen S5S Raptor was developed between Saleen and ASC with production expected to begin in 2010. The sticker price should be around $185,000.
- Scion Hako ConceptScion unveiled its Hako Coupe Concept vehicle at a press conference today at the New York International Auto Show. Scion's Hako Coupe was developed by Tokyo Design Division, which studied global, youth-inspired trends. Japanese and American youth cultures often influence each other and are interpreted with a unique twist. The Hako Coupe Concept was inspired by the iconic xB and the emergence of American vintage style among young Tokyo trendsetters.
'Scion's Hako Coupe Concept embodies a distinct global perspective on today's youth,' said Jack Hollis, Scion vice president. 'This type of forward thinking complements the Scion philosophy of intently listening to our customers and being willing to take risks to help us see where our brand should be. We took the xB's iconic boxy shape and explored something more vivacious, yet just as emotionally appealing. This concept is the sporty version of a box.'
- Suzuki Kizashi 3 ConceptThe New York International Auto Show welcomes American Suzuki Motor Corp. on Thursday, March 20, as the company debuts its sleek and athletic Concept Kizashi 3, the final addition to its acclaimed Kizashi concept series. The Concept Kizashi 3, which suggests both Suzuki's future design direction and stated intent to offer a larger, more upscale sport sedan, will be joined in New York by the North American debuts of the Concept Kizashi and Concept Kizashi 2.
The Kizashi concept series was developed by Suzuki's Advanced Design Group to reflect a dynamic athlete in motion, taking its design cues from a strong, honed physique while displaying the performance, strength and style befitting a flagship vehicle. The design theme began with the Concept Kizashi, which made its debut at the 2007 International Motor Show in Frankfurt, and the Concept Kizashi 2, unveiled at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show last October, which further pushed Suzuki's new design language. The Concept Kizashi 3 will represent the completion of the Kizashi concept series as well as providing a closer-to-production vision of a future Suzuki sport sedan offering. The complete Kizashi concept series will be revealed at the Suzuki press conference on Thursday, March 20, at 12:10 p.m. in booth 1215 at the Javits center.
- Alfa Romeo Mi.ToWith the Mi.To, Alfa Romeo wishes to offer a new generation of Alfa aficionados the most compact sports car ever.
An up-to-date and innovative car, a name redolent of history. The name Mi.To has great evocative resonance for Alfa Romeo, since it was chosen as a sign of a deep-seated link between the past and future of the brand: between Milan, the city of design that brought the car's style into being, and Turin, which will be responsible for its industrial production. A decision that highlights the brand's strong desire to consolidate its Milanese roots.
The Mi.To is the first car to be built since the 8C Competizione, Alfa Romeo's icon of style and technology, from which it borrows certain characteristic traits: the particular shape of the unframed side windows, the three-lobed motif that distinguishes the front bumper, the shape of the headlights and the LED tail lights. The headlights and tail lights represent a distinctive personalised feature: a frame featuring different forms of material processing and colours to create an ultra-stylish eye-liner effect that underscores the car's style and aggression.
- Ferrari 275 GTB/4The Ferrari 275 GTB/4 was the most powerful, and technically advanced of the production 275 GTBs. It differed from the earlier models by having dual overhead camshaft cylinder heads on each bank of cylinders, hence the GTB/4 designation. With six double choke carburetors, this engine was an evolutionary step to the 365 GTB/4 'Daytona.'
This particular car just completed a total restoration, after being disassembled for over 25 years. The restorer rebuilt the engine for the previous owner 20 years ago. The engine was never installed, and sat with the car, until 2006 when the current owner bought it. The engine was completely gone through again, and ran on the very same test rig. The body was redone by Wayne Carini, in the original color, and the interior is by Luppi of Italy in the original black.
- 12 Hours of SebringTimo Bernhard, Romain Dumas and Emmanuel Collard drove to an historic overall win at the 56th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida.
The win was the first overall at Sebring by an LMP2 car and saw 27 overall lead changes, a race record, and three lead-lap finishers, tying a race record. Dumas took the checkered flag by 1:02.084 over Dyson Racing's trio of Butch Leitzinger, Marino Franchitti and Andy Wallace in their Porsche RS Spyder. The Audi Sport North America trio of Dindo Capello, Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen finished third overall and first in LMP1.
Third in P2 class and fourth overall was the second Dyson Porsche of Chris Dyson and Guy Smith as the P2 class took three of the top four spots.
The overall win for Porsche was its first since 1988 when Hans Stuck and Klaus Ludwig took victory in a Porsche 962. Roger Penske took his first win at Sebring in 40 years and became the first team owner to win overall at Sebring, the Indianapolis 500 and the Daytona 500.
'I have to say thank you to Team Penske because they did a great job today,' said Bernhard, who also won the 2004 race in GT. 'The strategy was really good and we had no problem with the RS Spyder. We were a perfect trio today and it was very important that the whole package was working.'
Collard also won for the second time at Sebring, and Dumas was a first-time winner. The trio ran a smart, consistent race and watched their toughest challengers all fall by the wayside. They led seven times for 144 laps including Dumas' final 31 to the end.
'The key today is that we ran without a problem - gearbox, engine and race strategy,' Collard said. 'That's why we won this race.'
- IMSA Murcielago GTRImsa, the world-acclaimed, German High-Tech Engineering specialist, exclusively presents, after successfully introducing the stunning imsa GTV Supercar based on all versions of the Lamborghini Gallardo, its new technology and design-enhancement program for Lamborghini's current top-of-the-range supercar, the Murcielago LP640.
Special emphasis must be laid on the technology- and design-package made from Autoklav moulded carbon fibre. Technology which is normally only being used in Formula 1 and other Top-motorsports Series. Imsa's main target was, for all owners of the Lamborghini top-of-the-range-model, to offer an exclusive product line, transforming the Murcielago both technically and optically into a unique work of art, with the aim of significantly enhancing the exclusivity of Lamborghini's Top-model.
The strikingly aggressive and aerodynamically highly effective front apron (spoiler) perfectly aligned to the wheel arches (widened 35mm on each side), directly becomes apparent. On the upper side of the wheel arches, imsa CFK air ducts have been integrated, resulting in a significant reduction of the drag effect caused by non-aerodynamic airflow at higher and highest velocity. The imsa side-skirts on the underside guarantee the optimum airflow to the imsa diffuser, which has been developed for an aerodynamically perfect interaction with the imsa rear spoiler. Imsa herewith achieved to considerably lower the downforce at higher and highest speeds. The benefits for the driver are a significant enhancement of driving stability, safety and enjoyment.
- 2010 Pontiac G8 Sport TruckThe 2010 Pontiac G8 sport truck blurs the line between cars and trucks and is creating an all-new segment in the North American car market. This dramatically different vehicle blends the sporty handling of a performance coupe with the cargo capabilities of a light truck.
Based on the all-new Pontiac G8 performance sedan, the newest member of the G8 family has a longer wheelbase and a cargo bed suitable for either work or recreation. The G8 sport truck significantly stretches Pontiac's commitment to style and performance and is expected to arrive in dealers' showrooms in late 2009.
'Pontiac has never shied away from offering segment-defining vehicles, going back to the original GTO,' said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager. 'There's simply nothing else like the G8 sport truck on the road today, and we definitely believe that there are customers who will be excited by its distinctive design, performance and cargo capabilities.'
- People Choice WinnerThis vehicle was chosen by the people as their 'Best of Show' at the recent Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. This is one of the most flamboyant designs ever by renowned French coachbuilder Labourdette. This car evokes strong emotions, and has been called both shocking and a work of art.
Originally bodied as a Sedanca deVille by Hooper, the second owner removed the original body and sent the chassis to Labourdette of Paris for the current body. Bare chassis were simply not available immediately after World War II. This is the last car bodied by Labourdette, and the body alone cost $44,000. The pillarless windshield, 'vutotal,' is a Labourdette patent, and much of the brass is leaded into the body. The finished project was shown at the 1947 Paris Auto Show, and was then shipped to New York. The car's underpinnings are pure Phantom III: a 7.3-liter V12 engine, independent front suspension, hydraulically adjustable shock absorbers and an on-board jacking system. The chassis was priced at 1,850 British Pounds (roughly $10,000), and just 719 chassis were produced through 1939. The only Rolls-Royce identifying marks on the car are two cloisonne emblems insert into the doors.
- Pontiac G8 GXPToday Pontiac announced the flagship of its GXP performance series, the G8 GXP high-performance sedan, at the New York Auto Show. This 2009 model will join the Solstice, G6 and Torrent GXP models in Pontiac dealerships in late 2008. The G8 GXP takes the G8's responsive driving experience, refined passenger environment and aggressive good looks to a new level. It also delivers an enjoyable driving experience, thanks to a 6.2L V-8 that produces in excess of 400 horsepower.
'More than just raw power, the GXP delivers the sophisticated yet exciting driving experience that enthusiasts expect in a car costing far more than the GXP,' said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager
- Best in Show - Concours de SportAt the 2008 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, the Ferrari 335 Sport was named 'Best of Show - Concours de Sport.' This car was part of the Scuderia Ferrari effort at the 1957 Mille Miglia. Driven by Peter Collins and Lewis Klemantaski, the car dropped out while leading the race at a record pace. It finished in second place at the 1957 1000km of Nurburgring, again with Peter Collins at the wheels, assisted by Olivier Gendebien. It was a DNF at the 1957 24 Hours of LeMans with Phil Hill and Peter Collins, and placed second at the 1957 Grand Prix of Sweden driven by Hill and Collins. The car took third at the 1957 1000 km of Spa / Francorchamps with Olivier Gendebien driving, and Hill and Collins piloted it to a first place at the 1957 Grand Prix of Venezuela. Phil Hill finished first, first and third in three races at the 1957 Nassau Speed Week, and the car was a DNF at the Grand Prix of Cuba in 1958 with Hill driving. From 1958 to 1960, the car raced at many venues in California with John von Neumann, Richie Ginther, Skip Hudson and others behind the wheel.
- Renault KoleosRenault is pleased to present Koleos, its first ever crossover. Ideal for escaping the everyday routine, Renault Koleos is comfortable, easy to drive and boasts genuine off-road ability. It has been designed to be versatile, too, offering the same reassuring drive when motoring in and about town, on open roads and on motorways as it does when it is taken off the beaten track.
Meanwhile, Renault Koleos delivers the same standard of comfort as that expected of a saloon car, as well as cabin space worthy of a compact MPV. Designed by Renault, developed by Nissan and manufactured in Renault Samsung Motors' Busan plant in Korea, Renault Koleos is the fruit of extremely close collaboration between teams from each of these Renault-Nissan Alliance brands. Renault Koleos will be on show at the Geneva Motor Show from March 4, 2008.
- Lotus Entry Level 2-ElevenChoosing your track day performance car has just become a lot more exciting with the introduction of the entry level 2-Eleven and extensive range of Lotus Sport performance options.
The latest Lotus 2-Eleven, bristling with Lotus Sport options and wearing a dramatic carbon fibre body was exhibited at the 78th annual Geneva International Motor show. This car has been specified with, amongst other options, the 255 PS (252 bhp, 188 kw) power upgrade, carbon fibre tonneau cover, four piston front brakes, 'Aero Pack' and 'Sport Pack' as an example of how the new range of Lotus Sport options can be configured.
Mike Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus plc commented: 'The 2-Eleven has been exceptionally well received worldwide, which has provided Lotus with a significant challenge to keep pace with demand.' He went on to add 'It is very encouraging to see that the 2-Eleven is asserting itself as class leader in the track day enthusiast sector and to hear all the incredibly positive feedback from people enjoying the 2-Eleven's fantastic performance'.
- Novitec Rosso F430 Race707 hp / 520 kW, 712 Nm, 0 – 100 km/h in 3.5 seconds, a top speed of 348 km/h and extremely sporty interior appointments: Those are the most important characteristics of the Ferrari F430 RACE from NOVITEC ROSSO, the world's leading tuner of sports cars from Maranello. The NOVITEC ROSSO two-seater is one of the world's fastest and most powerful street-legal cars and starts at 193,277 Euros MSRP.
At the heart of the snow-white racer featuring triple-design black stripes lies the NOVITEC ROSSO twin-supercharger engine in its latest evolutionary stage – RACE. Up to now, the eight-cylinder, four-valve engine with a displacement of 4,308 ccm and mechanical NOVITEC ROSSO twin superchargers produced 656 hp / 482 kW.
- Iconic GTR - Conceived, Designed, and Built in the USAIconic Motors was started with one man's relentless drive of innovation and passion to proudly conceive, design, engineer and construct a high performance luxury super sports car entirely in the United States of America. After years of research and development with some of the finest engineers in the fields of automotive engineering, electronics and leading edge materials sciences, Iconic Motors is pleased to announce the Inconic GTR - a car that embodies the companies vision while setting the new standard in limited production automobiles for today and the future.
The Iconic GTR is a tip of the hat to traditional American muscle cars of the past, completely reinvented with 21st Century engineering, technology, and materials. The Iconic Motors founder had a dream to create a car that represents rolling art, inside and out, while boasting performance capabilities rivaling the world's finest supercars.
Production is limited to 100 automobiles.
- 1931 Duesenberg sells at auction for $2.64 MillionThe focus of the collector car world turned to Florida last weekend as RM Auctions hosted their 10th annual Automobiles of Amelia Island auction event. Held in conjunction with the famed Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, the events made for an ultimate vintage car weekend for motoring enthusiasts.
When it was all said and done, total sales for the day exceeded $16.8 million, with four cars breaking the magic million dollar mark. Highlights included a rare 1931 Duesenberg Convertible, which brought $2.64 million, and a historic 1934 Ford Model 40 Special Speedster, custom built for Edsel Ford, which sold for $1.76 million.
Follow the link for more information on the Murphy bodied Duesenberg Model J395.
- The Amelia Island Concours names their Best of ShowThe 1935 Duesenberg Model J Bohman & Schwartz Convertible Coupe and Ferrari 335 were named Best in Show at this years Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. The Duesenberg won the 'Best in Show, Concours d'Elegance' while the Ferrari 335 won the 'Best in Show' Concours de Sport.'
This years concours honored the driving legacy of Parnelli Jones, the fabulous cars of the E.R. Thomas Motor Car Company, and the glory years of the Trans Am racing series. The gathering of the Thomas Flyer automobiles were one of the largest assemblies ever with the car that won the New York-to-Paris race being the highlight.
The Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, now in its 13th year, showcases unique vintage cars from around the world with proceeds going to benefit the Community Hospice of Northeast Florida. The concours was the final event of three-days worth of activities that included an auction run by RM Auctions, seminars, dinners, driving tours, cocktail receptions, golf tournament, fashion shows, and test drives.
Follow the link for more inforamtion on the Duesenberg. Complete coverage of this event will follow shortly.
- New York-to-Paris-Winning Thomas Flyer comes to AmeliaAs promised, the Thomas Flyer automobile that won the historic New York-to-Paris 'Great Race' in 1908 has come to the Florida coast for the 13th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, March 7-9, 2008. Contested 100 years ago, the torturous race covered the width of the United States before stopping at points in Alaska, Japan, Siberia, and Berlin before ending in Paris. It has never been run again.
'To have the National Automobile Museum, The Harrah Collection, in Reno, Nevada, loan us this national treasure during their 100th anniversary is more than words can express,' says Bill Warner, founder and co-chairman of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. 'It will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the attendees to see this car up close and personal. All will be amazed at the primitive nature of the car and what it went through.'
- 78th Annual Geneva International Motor ShowThe 78th International Motor Show will be held from the 6th to 16th of March. Over 130 worldwide and European premieres have been announced, coming from every sector of the industry. The trend towards new technologies and alternative fuels is continuing. Visitors will discover three new manufacturers and many attractions both inside and outside the halls of GENEVA PALEXPO.
Close to 1,000 brands from some thirty countries are on display by around 260 exhibitors.
After two press days, the Geneva Motor Show will be opened on Thursday, the 6th of March, in the presence of the President of the Swiss Confederation, Pascal Couchepin. The organisers are expecting once again more than 700,000 visitors over the eleven days the Show is open to the public.
As was already heralded in the poster for the 78th Show, the trend towards new technologies and alternative fuels is increasing. Almost every brand is intensifying its research and development work in this field. 17 of the 94 worldwide and European premieres in the three-and four-wheeled vehicle sector are cars using new technologies. Hall 3 will house a special exhibition dedicated to this subject. The focus of interest this year will be on electrically-powered vehicles.
Three manufacturers will be present for the first time in Geneva, two of them with 'green' cars. These are the Chinese brand BYD, which will be unveiling a hybrid vehicle, and the Norwegian manufacturer Think Global, which is launching an electrically-powered city car. The Japanese luxury brand Infiniti will also be exhibiting in Geneva for the first time.
But the Motor Show is not merely a showcase for future mobility. Three companies will be celebrating anniversaries. Italdesign, the renowned design and engineering house responsible for the first Volkswagen Golf, the Alfa Romeo Brera and the Fiat Grande Punto, among others, has fuelled the public's dreams for 40 years with its elegant and dynamic coachwork. Franco Sbarro, engineer and designer, will be celebrating 35 years of exhibiting in Geneva with two cars designed specifically for the occasion that promises to be entertaining if nothing else. And finally, the Swiss brand Monteverdi will be casting a glance back into the past, with a 1968 Monteverdi 375 S as part of its display.
- Hyundai HED-5 ConceptAt the Geneva International Motor Show Hyundai Motor Co. will introduce the HED-5 'i-Mode'. The focus for this year's concept car is a combination of visionary styling with future technologies and advanced eco-dynamics. It lead to a 6-seater monocab study that incorporates high-tech materials, a world premiere seating concept and state of the art communication solutions into a completely new vehicle impression. The i-Mode is an innovatively styled, eco-friendly and socially adaptive vehicle. The imposing mono-volume architecture provides an invitation to travel, explore and relax within the concept of moving cocoon.
By working together with the partners Bayer MaterialScience AG, Keiper and LG Electronics, Hyundai is continuing a cross-industry co-operation to drive new technologies faster to market. The co-operation with Bayer MaterialScience enabled the complex curvature and radical design departures of the HED-5 innovations to be implemented more quickly. The materials used are lighter and more adaptable than the metal and glass they replace. This, in combination with a light weight body construction, reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emission. Self-healing water based bodywork finishes from Bayer add to the environmentally friendly concept of the vehicle and even let minor scratches magically disappear by themselves. The i-Mode is the first vehicle to feature the new 'BayVision' glazing system and Collimator headlight lenses made from Makrolon®.
- Opel Meriva ConceptWith the dynamically styled Meriva Concept, Opel/Vauxhall presents the next level of monocab flexibility at the International Motor Show in Geneva (March 6 – 16, 2008). The concept car features rear-hinged rear doors on both sides of the car called FlexDoors. While the front doors are conventionally designed with front hinges, the rear doors swing open towards the back of the car. Another feature of the family-oriented Meriva Concept is that the front and rear doors can open independently of each other. Rear-hinged rear doors already on the market can only be opened after the front door has been opened, which severely limits their practicality.
- Spyker C8 AileronSpyker Cars, manufacturer of premium sport cars, unveiled its second generation C-line sports car at the Salon International de l'Auto in Geneva, Switzerland today: The all aluminium Long Wheel Base model is called Spyker C8 Aileron and will come with both a manual as well as an automatic gearbox.
The C8 Aileron continues Spyker's signature architecture (applied since its inception in 2000 with the C8 Spyder) of a mid-engined configuration in an aluminium space frame, clad in aluminium body panels.
The Aileron's space frame is a development of the original space frame of the first generation cars: its torsional rigidity, however, was improved by 40% without adding any weight. Its dimension have changed though, the wheelbase increasing by 10 cm / 4.5 inches for improved road handling and more cockpit space. Also its front track was widened and as a result the car is virtually ‘square'.
- Volvo XC60The new Volvo XC60 is the first vehicle in a new generation of the contemporary cross-over concept. It is a combination of a traditional city vehicle and an XC vehicle aimed for young, professional urban people with an active life. Volvo XC60 is a sporty and dynamic car with tasteful exterior and interior design and versatile functionality.
Volvo XC60 has a characteristic XC design language, with a blend of passenger- and coupe-like car shapes - including a touch of well-known Volvo design elements. The formula-drive stance, with big wheels 'in the corners', lifted visual platform and a very high waistline - all contribute to a sturdy and robust impression. The V-shape design, i.e. front spoiler, LED lamps, bonnet, goes all the way to the rear.
- Audi R8 V12 TDI LeMansAudi is presenting a revolution in the top class – the first 12-cylinder diesel engine in a high-performance roadgoing sports car. The V12 TDI with a displacement of six liters powers a concept car based on the Audi R8. This unit generates a huge 500 hp and 1,000 Newton-meters (737.56 lb-ft) of torque. Audi is writing a new chapter in diesel technology with this power unit. Equipped with the expertise that Audi has built up through its motor sport activities, the R8 TDI Le Mans in Brilliant Red embodies superb road handling, pioneering technology and fascinating design.
The V12 TDI is closely related to the engine in the Audi R10, the two-time Le Mans winner – so it catapults the Audi R8 into supercar terrain concerning performance too. It sprints from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in just 4.2 seconds and its top speed is well over 300 km/h (186.41 mph). The peak torque, reached at only 1,750 rpm, paves the way for effortless acceleration that is unrivaled even at this level.
The new V12 TDI belongs to Audi's family of V engines but has the ideal included angle for this engine type of 60 degrees between cylinder banks. Its highlights include the new chain drive layout that includes the two newly developed high-pressure pumps for the common rail injection system.
- Brabus Bullit Black ArrowUltra powerful, ultra fast and conspicuously inconspicuous: The four-door stealth super sports car BRABUS BULLIT BLACK ARROW offers performance superlatives like no other car on the market: The basis for the car is the body of the new C-Class sedan, covered with a special matte-black coating. The BRABUS SV12 S Biturbo twelve-cylinder engine was dropped into the engine bay with almost surgical precision. Performance is staggering: 3.9 seconds from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph), 24.5 seconds for 0 – 300 km/h (186 mph) and a top speed of more than 360 km/h (225 mph). BRABUS produces the BULLIT BLACK ARROW in small-series production starting at 348,000 Euros MSRP.
The BRABUS BULLIT BLACK ARROW ensures that the world's fastest sedans continue to come from Bottrop. The BRABUS BULLIT BLACK ARROW follows in the footsteps of the 330-km/h (206 mph) BRABUS E V12 based on the W 210-series Mercedes E-Class, the 350.2-km/h (219 mph) E V12 Biturbo of the new W 211 generation and the world's current fastest sedan, the 365.7- km/h (227.2 mph) BRABUS ROCKET based on the Mercedes CLS.
Numerous modifications to the reinforced body were necessary to install the turbocharged V12 engine in the C-Class engine bay. The BRABUS SV12 S Biturbo engine is derived directly from the BRABUS ROCKET and uses the latest Mercedes S 600 engine that has been completely reworked in the company-own engine building shop.
Nothing beats displacement except even more displacement: A crankshaft with longer stroke, larger cylinder bore, and special pistons and piston rods increase displacement of the twelve-cylinder three-valve engine from 5.5 to 6.3 liters (336 to 385 cu. in.).
- Bugatti Veyron Fbg par Hermès1956 saw the last Molsheim-built Bugatti pass through the factory gates of the famous Alsatian car manufacturer. Fifty years later, in the spring of 2006, the first of the new generation of Molsheim Bugattis, the Bugatti Veyron 16.4, was delivered to its owner.
Ettore Bugatti and Émile Hermès met in the 1920s, when Ettore ordered a bespoke suitcase for his first Bugatti Royale. Almost eighty years later, at the 2006 Pebble Beach Concours d'Élégance, representatives of Bugatti and Hermès met again. And this encounter turned out to be the beginning of a new collaboration between the two houses.
The revival of this relationship may initially appear surprising, as the association between the renowned luxury house and the legendary car manufacturer in today's automotive context would not immediately spring to mind. It confirms that heritage is able to survive over a time span of several decades.
- Lotus Exige 270E TriFuel ConceptLotus Engineering, the world renowned automotive consultancy division of Lotus, unveils its latest development towards carbon neutral road transport at the 78th Geneva International Motor Show. The Lotus Exige 270E Tri-fuel is the most powerful road version yet of the Exige (0-60 mph / 96 kph in 3.88 seconds, a top speed of 158 mph (255 km/h), 270 hp (201 kW / 273 PS at 8000 rpm) and it runs on any mixture of gasoline, bioethanol and methanol. Emerging technologies will allow alcohol fuels such as methanol, already a proven internal combustion fuel, to be made synthetically from CO2 extracted from the atmosphere.
An alcohol-based fuel derived renewably from atmospheric CO2 would allow society to transfer relatively easily to sustainable, carbon-neutral internal combustion. Lotus Engineering is researching the use of sustainable synthetic alcohols as potential future fuels, with technology available from Lotus for introduction in four to five years. However, the supply infrastructure investment from governments and fuel companies could take 15 to 20 years.
The Exige 270E Tri-fuel is part of Lotus' research to understand the complex combustion process involved in running on mixtures of alcohol fuels and gasoline, which will be important for a successful transition from today's fuels to the sustainable, synthetic fuels of the future.
- Russo and Steele Changes the Face of Collector Automobile AuctionsRusso and Steele Collector Automobile Auctions has officially announced it is changing its auction format to an ALL RESERVE sale. By employing this type of change it will enable Russo and Steele to best serve and maintain the high level of service and integrity that enthusiasts have come to expect from the company.
The ALL RESERVE platform is not universal within the collector automobile auction world. In fact, many auctions still push for a No Reserve entry. However, Russo and Steele believes that this decision will ultimately enhance the quality of cars event and ensure the lasting relationships within the hobby and client base. In today's market the ability to have a measure of control over the final sales price will result in the highest caliber and quality of consignment inventory.
Drew Alcazar, co-owner and CEO of Russo and Steele, had this to say about the company's decision: 'A No Reserve sale frequently ends up with negative results because no auction house can guarantee having the 'right' two bidders on any block all the time… To risk compromising the integrity of our sale with sellers being forced into 'buy-back' scenarios with usurious fees or compel them to 'protect' their car with phantom bids, is simply too much of a liability. The All Reserve format allows Russo and Steele to continue to foster its relationships with our clients and achieve the objective of offering outstanding collector automobiles at market relevant reserves. I believe the quality and integrity of our sale will benefit and ultimately continue to provide the world class experience our clients have come to expect from Russo and Steele.'
- Volkswagen Scirocco ConceptVolkswagen is putting on a spectacular parade of new models in Geneva with a host of international product debuts. Taking centre stage will be the highlight of the show, the new Scirocco – a completely re-engineered all-round sports car. Another vehicle being showcased at Lake Geneva is the Golf TDI Hybrid. This concept car runs on just 3.4 litres of diesel per 100 kilometres. The 150-PS Passat Estate TSI EcoFuel, also debuting in Geneva, represents a technology leap for automobiles run on natural gas. Other Volkswagen world premieres will be the extremely fuel-efficient Sharan BlueMotion (6.0 litres per 100 km) and the four-wheel-drive Golf Estate 4Motion. The Passat CC will also be on display for the first time ever in Europe.
It's back: 34 years after the first Scirocco was unveiled to a waiting world at the Geneva Motor Show, Volkswagen is presenting a new Scirocco for a new era at the same venue. Now as then, the coupé is inspired by the fascinating idea of creating a sports car for every day of the year at truly affordable prices. And that is the essence of the Scirocco: the successful marriage top technology and low running costs, dynamic performance and high comfort, a surprisingly spacious interior and an uncompromising sporty design.
As the Volkswagen Group's Chairman of the Board of Management, Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, commented: 'What we have done with the Scirocco is to put the kind of sports car in our showrooms that people have dreamed of owning. A dream that a good deal of motorists – in spite of all the high-end engineering we have integrated – can actually afford.' The Scirocco will be launched Europe-wide in late summer with prices in Germany starting at 21,750 euros; other countries will follow over the course of the next year.
- Russo and Steele Changes the Face of Collector Automobile AuctionsCompany Implements an ALL RESERVE Format
Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auctions has officially announced it is changing its auction format to an ALL RESERVE sale. By employing this type of change it will enable Russo and Steele to best serve and maintain the high level of servic
- Ford of Europe FiestaFord of Europe is reinventing its small car range for a new generation of customers in 2008, starting with a stylish and exciting all-new Fiesta. First Details of the three-door model are released today, and the car will make its global debut at the Geneva Motor Show next month.
Designed and developed in Europe for sale in Europe, Asia, South Africa, Australia and the Americas between 2008 and 2010, the new Fiesta is the first major product of Ford's new global product development process. Its stylish and dynamic flair combines with all the traditional Ford small car strengths to create a confident, contemporary introduction to the next chapter of the Fiesta success story.
The new Fiesta opens another chapter in the story of the popular Ford small car that has sold more than 12 million units since its introduction in 1976. Charismatic and individual, the new model makes major strides in craftsmanship, quality of materials and product choice while continuing to represent Fiesta's traditional strengths of practicality, value for money, agility and safety. It also brings a host of big-car features to the small-car segment for the first time.
- Holden Coupe 60 ConceptGM Holden marked the diamond anniversary of its first all Australian car by unveiling a stunning two-door performance thoroughbred called Coupe 60. Coupe 60 celebrates the six decades since GM Holden built the 48-215 at its Fishermans Bend plant in Port Melbourne, Victoria, and provides a glimpse of Holden's future directions in design, engineering and emerging engine technologies.
Exemplifying sports luxury, Coupe 60 is a pillarless concept car that explores the limits of Holden's current rear-wheel drive capabilities, combining racing looks and technology into a road going sportscar experience.
Its sophisticated appearance is delivered through simple and powerful design, highlighted by the pillarless construction and V8 supercar inspired cockpit layout and side-exiting chambered exhaust system with billet alloy tips.
Almost 60mm shorter than the VE sedan, and sitting on 21-inch centre-lock alloy wheels with unique design Kumho high performance semi-slick tyres, Coupe 60 captures all that's exciting about the Holden DNA. Other racing-derived enhancements include full flat under body, rear underbody air diffuser and functional rear deck-lid spoiler with unique designed LED tail lamps.
- Lamborghini Gallardo LP560With the new Gallardo LP560-4, Lamborghini once again sets a higher standard for super sports cars. With its new engine, permanent four-wheel drive transmission and new suspension, it delivers clearly improved performance and dynamics. In parallel, its innovative design takes the classic lines unique to the Lamborghini brand one step further. Powerful elegance has never been so defined before.
The Gallardo LP560-4 is the successor of the most successful Lamborghini model of all time. Approximately 7100 Gallardo models have left the Sant'Agata Bolognese production plant since its launch in 2003. 'The LP560-4 will consolidate this success story,' states Stephan Winkelmann, President and CEO of Automobili Lamborghini. 'It will outclass its predecessor in every aspect; its dynamics are distinctly breathtaking and its design sets new standards. With the introduction of the Gallardo LP560-4, we will consistently continue Lamborghini's growth strategy'.
The powerful heart of the Gallardo LP560-4 is the new 5.2 litre V10 engine with an output of 560 PS (412 kW) at 8000 rpm. The increase of 40 PS compared with that of the previous Gallardo, and the approximate 20 kilogram reduction in weight, improves the power weight ratio to 2.5 kilograms per PS (hp) and thus enhances performance. The LP560-4 accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 3.7 seconds, its speed at 11.8 seconds is 200 km/h and its top speed lies at 325 km/h. At the same time the new, highly efficient engine enthrals its driver with its direct fuel injection system - 'Iniezione Diretta Stratificata'. Despite its clearly increased power, fuel consumption and CO2 emissions have been reduced by a staggering 18 per cent.
- Saab 9-X BioHybrid ConceptThe Saab 9-X BioHybrid concept is a vivid vision of what a future compact car from Saab could look like. It is designed to reflect the priorities of youthful customers who seek progressive looks, responsible performance and high-tech communications, all in a sporty, fun-to-drive package.
Exploring design themes from Saab's award-winning Aero X and earlier 9X concepts, the 9-X BioHybrid also demonstrates the potential for ultra-efficient power from a 200 hp (147 kW), 1.4-liter BioPower turbo engine backed by GM's next-generation Hybrid system. Projected combined cycle CO2 emissions of just 105 g/km on E85 fuel are testimony to the promise of this package (see separate release for details).
The interior showcases an entirely new expression of Saab's driver-focused cockpit design, together with innovative, seamless connectivity for personal nomadic devices and a rear cargo deck with a ‘low friction' loading system.
- HSV W427Holden Special Vehicles today unveiled a seven litre program at the Melbourne Motor Show, the last instalment of the company s 20th anniversary celebrations.
The car to be known in its final development stages as the W427 is finished in the same Panorama Silver paint scheme as the original Group A SS VL Commodore, released at the Melbourne Motor Show of 1988, exactly 20 years ago.
HSV Managing Director, Scott Grant, said the W427 was a tribute to how far the company has come in just twenty years.
'To be able to produce a vehicle of these proportions is truly remarkable,' Scott Grant said.
'The W427 will be quite possibly the fastest road registrable Supercar ever produced in Australia and among the quickest anywhere around the world,' he said.
- Italdesign Giugiaro Quaranta ConceptAn 'extreme', clean-technology project embodying 40 years of styling research and engineering celebrated by Italdesign Giugiaro in Geneva
The 'Quaranta' project is a concept car designed to celebrate Italdesign Giugiaro's forty years of business in styling and technological research at the service of the automotive sector. The Quaranta, world-premiered at the 2008 Geneva International Motor Show, is a synthesis of Italdesign Giugiaro's unmatched experience of automotive design: from city cars to super sports-cars, from MPVs to medium-engined saloons up to and including luxury flagships and environment-friendly SUV, not to mention light/heavy duty commercial vehicles, in complete cooperation with leading manufacturers all over the world.
The Quaranta is an 'extreme' product, an environment-friendly, 4WD super sports-car which incorporates a series of innovative aspects: its styling, but also its drive technology, which combines a hybrid engine with solar energy, and its internal layout which, despite its mid-mounted rear engine, can accommodate three adults and a child, also providing a generous luggage compartment.