2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 |
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec |
- Chevrolet Announces New 2010 Corvette Grand SportGrand Sport. It's one of the most storied monikers in Corvette's illustrious racing heritage. Today, Chevrolet announced it is returning to the lineup in the new, 2010 Corvette Grand Sport model.
The announcement was made at the 12th annual C5/C6 Corvette Birthday Bash, held at the National Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, Ky.
The new Grand Sport combines the Corvette's LS3-based powertrain with unique, wide-body styling and a racing-bred suspension for a distinctive model that delivers a great balance of road and race track performance. It is offered in both coupe and convertible body styles, with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. The LS3 6.2L engine is rated at 430 horsepower (321 kW)* and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (575 Nm)* with the standard exhaust system. An optional two-mode exhaust system elevates the power ratings to 436 horses (325 kW) and 428 lb.-ft. (580 Nm).
- COUNTDOWN TO POTENTIAL RECORD-SETTING SINGLE-DAY COLLECTOR CAR SALE UNDERWAYFerrari aficionados from around the world are set to descend on Maranello, Italy next month for the third annual Ferrari Leggenda e Passione event, presented by RM Auctions, in association with Sotheby's. With an average estimate equaling €1 million, this year's offering of 34 historic Ferraris (all certified by Ferrari Classiche) and three magnificent Maseratis is poised to achieve the highest average sale price for a single-day classic motor car auction.
The Ferrari Leggenda e Passione event is recognized globally as the premier venue for collectors to acquire the world's finest historic Ferraris. Last year's headline-grabbing event entered the history books when a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spider, formerly owned by actor James Coburn, sold for €7,040,000, setting a new world record for the highest price ever paid for a classic motor car at auction.
- The Marmon SixteenAn amazing opportunity presented itself at the recent Automobiles of Arizona auction presented by RM Auctions, as a rare and stunning 1933 Marmon Sixteen Convertible Sedan rolled across the block. Apart from its attractive looks, it is fitted with a sixteen cylinder engine that measures 490.8 cubic-inches (about 8 liters).
1933 was the final year for the Marmon Company, and only 56 cars were created. They sold 86 Sixteens that year, but about a third of them must have been leftover 1932 models.
For the collectors who are seeking the rare and unique, the Marmon Sixteen is a terrific purchase. This car was sold for $330,000 - granted, that is allot of money - but considerably less than the other Sixteen cylinder car that crossed RM's block at Arizona. The 1935 Cadillac V16 sold for $473,000. Cadillac sold nearly 4,000 first-generation V16s (1930-37), three quarters of them in the first year. Sales for the second generation (1938-40) was barely 500. Marmon sold fewer than 400 Sixteens before the company entered receivership.
The distinctive styling features of the Marmon, their Sixteen cylinder engine, the low production numbers, and the relatively low cost to purchase, makes them a terrific bargain for collectors wanting to add a V16 car to their collection.
- 100 years of Bugatti at Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'EsteIn a further highlight on this year's agenda of centennial celebrations, Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. presented four Bugatti Veyron specials at Villa d'Este Concorso d'Eleganza. These one off models are reminders of Bugatti's glorious motor-racing history which played a central role in popularising and ultimately establishing the myth which the brand continues to enjoy to this day.
The Bugatti brand is almost inextricably linked to the Type 35. The Type 35 Grand Prix was by far the most successful racing model. The unmistakable radiator grille and eight-spoke aluminium wheels of the Type 35 have become defining features of the Bugatti automobile. In its day, the Grand Prix was also well ahead of its time in terms of engineering ingenuity. The front axle design of this vehicle, which, for reasons of weight minimisation, is hollow, is a true masterpiece of workmanship and was deemed nothing less than revolutionary. Its springs were passed through the axle to produce a high level of stability. The Grand Prix's brake drums were integrally fitted into its lightweight aluminium wheels. Unfastening the central wheel nut allowed the wheel to be easily removed within a matter of seconds and the brake to be exposed. This was a crucial advantage at the pit stop.
- Jaguar XJ220The Jaguar XJ220 was given a 24-valve twin-turbocharged V6 engine mounted mid-ship and fitted with a five-speed manual transmission. The 542 horsepower engine could carry the car to a top speed of over 220 miles per hour with zero-to-sixty mph taking just over four seconds. The chassis was made of aluminum-honeycomb with aluminum and composite bodywork. The vehicle measured over eight feet wide and sixteen feet long with total weight of 3,500 pounds.
In 2009, this Jaguar XJ220 sold at RM Auctions 'Automobiles of Arizona' for a high bid of $154,000 including buyer's premium.
- The Fiat 8VThe Fiat 8V had a reported top speed of 124 mph. This two-seater coupe had a fully independent suspension with most of the coachwork handled by the factory. Some of the bodies were given coachwork by Ghia, Pinin Farina, Vignale and Zagato. A number of one-off designs were also created. The 70-degree, eight-cylinder alloy engine displaced 1996cc and offered 115 horsepwoer. There was a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
- 2009 Chrysler Aspen: Chrysler's First SUV and First Production HybridChrysler has an alternative to premium sport-utility vehicles that come with premium prices: the 2009 Chrysler Aspen, which offers sophisticated styling, luxurious amenities, performance and capability – plus great value. And for the first time, a hybrid powertrain is available.
The 2009 Chrysler Aspen offers customers the kinds of features found in competitors costing thousands more, including the available uconnect gps, three-row seating, abundant standard safety features including Chrysler Group's exclusive Trailer Sway Control, plus best-in-class cargo capacity and towing ability.
Compared with mid-size SUVs, Chrysler Aspen features more interior passenger space and cargo room, unmatched towing and hauling capability, and more fuel efficiency and maneuverability.
- Morgan announces a truly special modelDesigned and engineered in house, the Morgan Aero SuperSports is a lightweight aluminium sports car with a luxurious specification. The interior features a comfortable combination of polished hardwoods, hand stitched leather and electronic technology to create a driving environment that is efficient, ergonomic and sumptuous. In spite of all this opulence the overall weight of the car is still minimal so the car is responsive to driver inputs and economical to run. The unique way Morgan can achieve this is down to our use of aircraft style superformed aluminium outer panels and the skills of our craftsmen to hand finish the assembly of each car.
- A Duesenberg Wearing a Packard BodyThis Duesenberg Model J Roadster (chassis 2410) is very unusual. It has a Duesenberg chassis with a custom Packard body. Since Duesenberg did not offer a true, wind-in-your-hair, roadster, the original owner of this vehicle selected a Packard body. The roadster body offered a type of motoring experience that could not be achieved with a convertible body style. It had a minimal top with just enough area to provide shade from the sun and other elements. With an open body, the sides were lower and undeniably rakish.
At the Automobiles of Arizona auction presented by RM Auctions, it was estimated to sell for as much as $1.2 million. Bidding reached $600,000 but was not enough to satisfy the reserve. This unique vehicle was left unsold.
- Bertone Mantide ConceptStile Bertone has a long history of creating one-off prototypes based on the mechanicals of Chevrolet's sporting automobiles spanning over 50 years. Today, Stile Bertone is proud to utilize the mechanicals of the formidable 2009 Corvette ZR1. Employing know-how from the Le Mans winning Corvette C5R, the ZR1 is the greatest all-round performance car in the world, the undisputed 'King of the Ring', posting the fastest ever lap time for a true production car at 7:26:4 seconds on the famed Nurburgring Nordschleife in Germany, long considered the benchmark for a car's true performance. Mantide has been designed and fully engineered in collaboration with the renowned Danisi Engineering and aims to be the world's greatest street legal performance car, wrapped in an iconic and radical Stile Bertone design.
Mantide's futuristic design draws equal inspiration from modern aerospace and the world of Formula One. The iconic theme is clear to see: a teardrop-like fuselage which tightly encases the mechanicals and the passenger cell which is embraced by two prominent wrapping aerodynamic appendages. While shockingly bold and technical, Mantide's unique design maintains a sensuality unique to Italian sports cars thanks to a futuristic interpretation of the classic Kamm Back two volume silhouette.
- Buick Business Concept Vehicle Unveiled in ShanghaiThe Buick Business Concept, a new concept vehicle designed to showcase Buick's future vision of 'business class on the road,' made its global debut today at Auto Shanghai 2009.
The multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) was developed in China by the Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center (PATAC), a design and engineering joint venture between General Motors and Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC), with global design input.
The Business Concept Vehicle captures the essence of the Buick form language in a thoroughly elegant and expressive design, with its taut surfaces, double sweep spear belt line, strong front and rear identities and dynamic presence.
'The Business Concept Vehicle has a grand presence and makes a strong statement when it pulls up to the front of any establishment,' said Ed Welburn, GM Vice President of Global Design. 'The Chinese market and business person have some unique requirements. Our team has responded with an elegant solution to their business and personal needs.'
- ULTRA-RARE AND HUGELY VALUABLE LE MANS PODIUM-FINISH FERRARI 330 P4RM Auctions, in association with Sotheby's, announce an ultra-rare 1967 Ferrari 330 P4 (chassis number 0858) as the latest star attraction for its ‘Ferrari Leggenda e Passione' event in Maranello, Italy. One of only THREE original P4s built, this stunning Monza-winning and Le Mans example joins an unparalleled line-up of historic Ferraris and three magnificent Maseratis for the May 17 auction.
RM Auctions, in association with Sotheby's, will lift the gavel on an exceptional, race-bred 1967 Ferrari 330 P4 (chassis number 0858) when the highly anticipated Ferrari Leggenda e Passione event returns to Maranello, Italy next month.
- NOVITEC TuLesto with 777 hp and a Top Speed of More than 350 km/hThere are many fascinating automobiles money can buy but its spectacular design, its uncompromising high-performance concept and its limited edition of just eleven cars make the new NOVITEC TuLesto the most exclusive high-end sports car in the world.
The mid-engine racer is 204 centimeters wide and weighs in at just 1,260 kilograms. It is built by German automobile manufacturer NOVITEC in Stetten in Bavaria. At the heart of the two-seater is a V8 engine with dual superchargers and a rated power output of 777 hp / 571.8 kW. Thanks to its carbon fiber and aluminum construction the coupe has an excellent power-to-weight ratio of just 1.62 kg/hp. The result is driving performance that only very few super sports cars can match: The sprint from rest to 100 km/h takes less than 3.4 seconds, and the NOVITEC TuLesto reaches 300 km/h after just 22.6 seconds. Top speed is more than 350 km/h.
- Rocketsports Racing XKR GT2New team, new look, new car, new brand – that was what was unveiled during a press conference today at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Rocketsports Racing, Inc. (RSR) establishes a new entity, formed to build and race Jaguar XKR's in the ALMS GT2 category and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Rocketsports Racing officially announced a GT2 program for the American Le Mans Series that will see the East Lansing, Michigan-based team reunite with the Jaguar brand by entering a Jaguar XKR for a partial season in 2009 with a full-season championship effort in 2010.
- The Sixteen Cylinder CadillacBy 1937, most of the great prestige automakers were out of business or on the ropes. Peerless was out in 1931, and Stutz in 1935. 1937 would see the end of Duesenberg, and Pierce-Arrow would follow in 1938. However, Cadillac was not only in business, but together with Packard, represented the bulk of diminished American luxury market.
In 1937, Cadillac was in the last year of production of its legendary first generation 45-degree V16 motor. (A new 135-degree Sixteen was slated for the start of the 1938 model year.) The first generation V16 is widely regarded as the quintessential multi-cylinder automotive engine of the era, with its large engine, with polished lacquer and plated accents, the look reached the same high level as the performance.
- Coveted Serial Number 1 Pony Cars to go first off the block at the Houston Classic AuctionWorldwide Auctioneers plans to launch its fifth annual Houston Classic Auction with a bang, announcing today that a pair of highly sought after first edition Pony cars will be first to go under the hammer. The 1970 Chevrolet Camaro offered as Lot number 1 will be none other than serial number 1, the first Camaro built at the Van Nuys factory in 1970, impressively optioned, well documented and recently comprehensively restored. This unique Camaro 'is a remarkable find that is sure to be an avidly sought after participant at events, where it will be the undisputed centerpiece of any second generation Camaro display', said John Kruse, Managing Partner.
No less unique is Lot number 2, a 1969 Pontiac Firebird Two Door Sport Coupe. Again, it is carries the Serial Number 1, making it the first of an illustrious line of pony cars, muscle cars, pace cars and movie cars that all share the name Firebird. Finished in Verdoro Green over black, it retains the original numbers matching engine and transmission. In the words of Rod Egan, Managing Partner and Chief Auctioneer, 'the first of any edition or manufacture is always highly sought after and we are delighted to offer this tremendous opportunity in Houston, not once, but twice'.
- The Bugatti Type 57CIntroduced in 1934, and produced until 1940, the Type 57 is the ultimate Bugatti road car, with nearly 750 possibly produced. There were three chassis variants, but four body styles. Styles were named after Alpine mountain peaks: the Venfoux, Galiver, Atalante and Stelvio. Gangloff Company built the Stelvio while the other 57C's were built at the Bugatti Factory.
The Type 57C is considered by many to be the best of the production Bugattis. Though not intended for competition, some racing versions of the type 57 were built and one model won the 1936 French Grand Prix.
- The Packard 1005 TwelveThe Tenth Series Packards were introduced on January 6th of 1933 at the Astor Hotel in New York City, NY. This series would remain in production until August of the following year. Just like the Ninth Series of 1932, the 10th series was available with eight- or twelve cylinder engines. This also marked the first time that Packard described their 12-cylidner engine as a 'Twelve' rather than the single Twin six of previous years.
The Tenth Series of Packards were available in two models, the 1005 that rode a wheelbase that measured 142-inches, and the 1006 which had a 147-inch wheelbase. Between these two versions, there were around 520 examples of the twelve-cylinder Tenth Series cars produced.
- Coveted Serial Number 1 Pony Cars to go first off the block at the Houston Classic AuctionWorldwide Auctioneers plans to launch its fifth annual Houston Classic Auction with a bang, announcing today that a pair of highly sought after first edition Pony cars will be first to go under the hammer. The 1970 Chevrolet Camaro offered as Lot number 1 will be none other than serial number 1, the
- Pebble Beach Concours to Feature its First Class of MotorcyclesThe Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, the annual showcase for the most elegant automobiles on the planet, is inviting motorcycles to appear on its show field for the first time.
On Sunday, Aug. 16, amid the classic Bentleys, Bugattis and Ferraris, a select group of motorcycles, including Vincents, Brough Superiors, Nortons, BSAs, Velocettes, Triumphs, and Ariels, will debut on the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links. This year's class of motorcycles will focus on British bikes built through 1959, and collectors with unique and storied examples are invited to request an entry application (contact Sean Jacobs at firstname.lastname@example.org). Future motorcycle classes are also likely to focus on bikes from specific countries or regions.
- The 1970 Plymouth Hemi CudaFor 1970, the E-body platform became longer, lower and wider and quickly distinguished themselves from their GM and Ford rivals. The redesign was done, in part, to make room under the bonnet for Chrysler's Raise Block engines, both the 440 cubic inch RB and the 426 cubic inch Hemi with its huge cross-flow cylinder heads.
In 1969 Plymouth divided the model into two categories, the base Barracuda and the performance-oriented 'Cuda. The name 'Cuda' had evolved from the limited production Hemi 'Cuda drag cars. The standard engine in the production Cuda was the 383 cubic-inch Command V8 which offered 335 horsepower. One of the most sought after upgrade was the 440 cubic-inch Six-Barrel engine which upped the power to 390. This option was available for a mere $250 which was significantly less than the $871 option for the Street Hemi option. The 426 cubic-inch OHV Hemi V8 with 2 4-barrel Carter AFB carburetors raised the horsepower to an astonishing 425 horsepower.
- Pebble Beach Concours to Feature its First Class of MotorcyclesAug. 16 Event Will Showcase British Bikes, Including the Legendary Vincent HRD V-Twins Nicknamed 'Gunga Din' and the John Edgar 'Rollie Free' Bike
The Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, the annual showcase for the most elegant automobiles on the planet, is inviting motorcycles to appear on
- Matech GT1The new Ford GT1 reflects in true fashion the spirit of its historic predecessor, the legendary GT40 of the 1960s. Having returned to motorsport in the GT3 class in 2007, the Ford GT will represent this heritage at the pinnacle of GT racing from 2009 as a GT1 car. Based on one of the most powerful V8 engines in Ford's modular engine family, the Ford GT1 Cammer 5.0L engine produces 600 bhp and 640 Nm of torque. Both figures are very impressive even when compared to those of the 7-litre engine that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966 and 1967. Owing to an 8 single butterfly inlet manifold, the output of the latest GT1 car's engine has been increased by 50 bhp when compared to the GT3 version. Matech Concepts has proven the Ford GT's value in winning the 2008 FIA GT3 European Teams Championship. It is now time to enter the next level: Matech Concepts is anticipating a new era in GT racing with the Ford GT1.
- Opel Insignia OPCThe heart of the Insignia OPC is its 2.8 V6 Turbo engine. Derived from the powerful gasoline engine already available on the top-of-the-line Insignia, this version reaches an output of 239 kW/325 hp. The increase in power was obtained by a special engine development and by reworking the exhaust, significantly reducing the counter pressure. And because sound is so important in the appreciation of an engine, the acoustic specialists worked on the exhaust of the V6 by adopting specific center and rear mufflers.
The Insignia OPC is available with a six-speed manual gearbox. The strong torque of 400 Nm ensures abundant pulling power even at lower engine speeds. With this engine performance, the Insignia OPC reaches a top speed of 250 km/h (restricted) and sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in six seconds.
The already very well performing Insignia chassis was further fine tuned for the OPC variant which ride height has been reduced by 10 mm compared to the Insignia (AWD Sport version). The newly developed mechatronic chassis also receives a new front axle. The front suspension architecture of the Insignia OPC retains a so called McPherson strut, however the engineers at the Opel Performance Center came up with an evolution called HiPerStrut (for high performance strut). Benefits are an improved steering feel, reduced steering disturbances due to the high torque and an enhanced feeling in the handling for the driver.
- The Audi Q7 - The New GenerationWhen it was first rolled out three years ago, the Audi Q7 performance SUV immediately achieved a leadership position – as a sporty, comfortable as well as high-performance recreational and business vehicle on a grand scale. Now Audi is making it even better – more elegant and more efficient, with lower emissions: the Q7 3.0 TDI consumes only 9.1 liters per 100 kilometers (25.85 US mpg). And now it's also available in a new version as a TDI clean diesel, with the world's cleanest diesel technology and even lower fuel consumption of only 8.9 liters/100 km (26.43 US mpg).
The Q7 is the large Audi for sporty individualists, for people who are seeking a vehicle that will take them anywhere they want to go for sports, recreation, and business. Its dynamic proportions and distinctive lines express this character, and subtle modifications endow its styling with even more elegance.
- MTM R8Customers who want to avoid that their neighbours suddenly shows up with the same car, are now given a guarantee by MTM that this will certainly not happen. The new programme MTM individual meets all customer wishes and creates a unique automobile. Therefore, MTM allows an individualisation of the car, as far as the ideas of the customer reach. Nothing can top this exclusivity.
Motoren Technik Mayer (MTM) now shows what the individualisation programme offers. Following customer requirements, the automobile manufacturer from the Upper Bavarian town Wettstetten has modified the Audi R8 to such an extent that a unique sports machine has been created and there is no second car like that.
The most striking novelty of the middle-engine super sports car with the aluminium body is the garish green paint. 'Porsche 2D8' is the exact name of this brash colour which became famous on the Porsche GT3. With this work, MTM confirms its love for details. As apart from the large-scale paint of the aluminium body, the internationally successful car refiner also painted areas in the engine compartment and has left further accents all over the car. Therefore, not only the colouring is unique, but also the manufacture.
- 1956 DeSoto FireFlite Hemi Convertible Breaks Records at Worldwide Auctioneers Weinberg Collection SaleWorldwide Auctioneers, responsible for the sale of some of the world's finest collector cars, achieved a record result at the weekend, selling a 1956 DeSoto FireFlite Hemi Convertible for $154,000 at this year's first auction of a private collection. The Weinberg Collection, encompassing over 100 vintage automobiles and a significant selection of antiques, was auctioned without reserve in Escondido California on April 3rd and 4th, at a total $3.2 million. High sales went to the DeSoto, a desirable 1954 Buick Skylark Convertible which hammered sold for $106,700 and a stately 1929 Rolls Royce Phantom II Dual Cowl Touring, at $82,500.
- BMW 760LiThe new BMW 7 Series already sets the benchmark in luxury performance motoring – and now BMW is moving up the standard of maximum exclusivity and supremacy in this supreme class to an even higher level, following a completely new definition: The new BMW 760i and the new BMW 760Li are taking over the top position within BMW's model portfolio, representing the highest level of motoring refinement in their segment.
The heart and foundation of this exceptional new standard comes from the twelve-cylinder power unit featured in both top models in the BMW 7 Series. Developed as a completely new engine from the ground up, the V12 is a masterpiece of modern engine technology. Superior power of 400 kW/544 hp comes at an engine speed of 5,250 rpm, with maximum torque of 750 Newton-metres (553 lb-ft) from just 1,500 rpm.
Combined with the likewise brand-new eight-speed automatic transmission, this twelve-cylinder offers not only unparalleled motoring refinement, but also supreme driving dynamics through its ability to convert seemingly unlimited power reserves spontaneously and with precise control at all times into supreme driving dynamics.
Once again, BMW's twelve-cylinder power unit is the epitome of refined performance, grand touring comfort, and stylish exclusivity. The new BMW 760i as well as the new BMW 760Li with its wheelbase extended by 14 centimetres or 5.5' for particular comfort – if not to say, luxury – at the rear, provide the clear answer to the question as to what one may expect of a genuine luxury performance saloon, with fascinating new features underscoring BMW's claim to leadership in the luxury segment.
- New Event to be Held August 15 at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Resort & SpaThe Mecum Auction Company, famous for selling high-performance collector cars and automobilia for more than 20 years, is excited to announce a new Mecum Auction has been established in Monterey, Calif.
Mecum's Monterey Auction will take place on Saturday, August 15, 2009, from 12-5 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Resort & Spa on the Del Monte Golf Course. The one-day auction will feature 100 extraordinary cars up for bid.
'Mecum Auction is starting a new chapter in our exhilarating company history book by expanding into new market areas,' said President Dana Mecum. 'Although we have specialized in muscle cars, our expert team is extremely knowledgeable about selling exotic sports cars, classics and other high-end collector vehicles. In fact, Mecum was selling world-class Ferraris in the late '80s. We are thrilled to launch the Monterey Auction and look forward to giving attendees a new event they're sure to never forget.'
- The NY Auto Show : Report and PhotosThe New York International Auto Show continues to be one of the most effective marketing opportunities for exhibitors. It's the largest-attended auto show in the country; the Show represents the nation's largest DMA for most automobile brands; and the majority of visitors come to make car-buying decisions.
The strain of the economy and the hardships in the automotive industry meant there were many changes from prior years. Several automakers chose not to attend this years event, including Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Rolls-Royce. The debuts were less extravagant and the booths were very tame. It is an industry that is attempting to become efficient in all aspects of business, and this trend is very evident in the vehicles that are being introduced.
Despite all the bad news in the economy, there were plenty of supercars, and vehicles from concept to production.
- 1956 DeSoto FireFlite Hemi Convertible Breaks Records at Worldwide Auctioneers Weinberg Collection Sale.Worldwide Auctioneers, responsible for the sale of some of the world's finest collector cars, achieved a record result at the weekend, selling a 1956 DeSoto FireFlite Hemi Convertible for $154,000 at this year's first auction of a private collection. The Weinberg Collection, encompassing over 100 vi
- New Event to be Held August 15 at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Resort & SpaThe Mecum Auction Company, famous for selling high-performance collector cars and automobilia for more than 20 years, is excited to announce a new Mecum Auction has been established in Monterey, Calif.
Mecum's Monterey Auction will take place on Saturday, August 15, 2009, from 12-5 p.m. at the H
- 2010 MAZDASPEED3It's an unwritten law of nature. When two parents have kids, more often than not, their offspring will be quite different. One will have Dad's eyes, another, Mom's nose. Some will be mild-mannered, happy and always smiling, and others, well - they will be wicked. Enter the all-new 2010 MAZDASPEED3. From a distance, it may look like its MAZDA3 siblings, with its five-point grille and sleek lines, but one minute behind the wheel will prove otherwise.
For 2010, the MAZDASPEED3 blends the five-door functionality of the all-new MAZDA3 5-Door with bolder, more aggressive styling and exhilarating performance to meet the needs of driving enthusiasts with active lifestyles. Carrying forward the award-winning MZR 2.3-liter DISI Turbo engine, the new MAZDASPEED3 builds on the legendary performance of the original while adding a fresh new look and even better handling.
- 2010 Mazda CX-9As the saying goes, there is always room for improvement. In the automotive industry, minor improvements often come in the form of performance, handling and design - all things that have become synonymous with Mazda vehicles. So, naturally, when the Mazda design, engineering and product marketing divisions sat down to discuss minor refreshes for the 2010 CX-9, they quickly realized just how challenging the task would be.
An instant success when it first hit the market in 2007, the CX-9 raised the bar for three-row crossover SUVs. From its dynamic styling and safety to versatility and performance, Mazda's flagship crossover SUV continues to wow customers and automotive critics alike as it moves into its fourth year of production. For the 2010 model year, the CX-9 receives a significant exterior and interior facelift, added options and reinforced safety features.
- 2010 Volkswagen GTIThe all-new Golf and GTI made their U.S. debut at the 2009 New York International Auto Show. Both vehicles feature an all-new exterior design, improved interior refinements and the sixth generation Golf comes to the U.S. market with the option of the award winning 2.0 TDI clean diesel engine.
With a simple, universal, and unmistakable look, the exterior of the Golf and its hot hatch sibling GTI offer a modern version of the classic original. On sale in the U.S. in fall of 2009, they bring to the market a refined and sporty appearance and industry leading powertrains that provides power and style in a versatile and efficient package.
For 2010, the Golf will feature the optional 2.0 TDI clean diesel engine, which produces 140-horsepower at 4000 rpm and an impressive 236 lbs.-ft. of torque between 1750 and 2500 rpm, bringing a no compromises alternative fuel driving experience to the all new Golf.
- Hyundai HD-11 Nuvis ConceptThe world will have the opportunity to peer into Hyundai's future when the Nuvis concept makes its world debut at the 2009 New York Auto Show.
The Nuvis is the eleventh signature concept car to be designed at the company's California Design Center in Irvine, Calif. In addition to showcasing the brand's cutting-edge capabilities, Nuvis also hints at a possible design direction for a future-generation crossover, blending attributes of a tall urban car and a premium utility vehicle.
Consistent with Hyundai's pledge to lead all brands in U.S. fuel economy by 2015, Nuvis is powered by Hyundai's Hybrid Blue Drive architecture, which uses breakthrough lithium polymer battery technology.
- Kia Forte KoupWith performance-inspired, aggressive and sleek styling, Kia Motors America (KMA) today globally debuted the 2010 Forte Koup production vehicle during a press conference at the 2009 New York International Auto Show (NYIAS). Joining the Forte family in the KMA lineup, the company's first-ever two-door coupe embodies the brand's current bold design direction first seen on the concept version of the Soul urban passenger vehicle in 2006.
'On the heel of the introductions of the Soul and Forte sedan, Forte Koup represents the next exciting step in the transformation of Kia design and offers a blend of sporty and emotional appeal,' said Michael Sprague, vice president, marketing, KMA. 'We believe our new design evolution coupled with standard Kia value and safety features will continue to attract customers to the Kia brand.'
- Mitsubishi Outlander GT PrototypeBuilding on the success of the Mitsubishi Outlander, Mitsubishi Motors North America today conducted the World debut of a distinctive new model that takes the compact SUV to another new level of performance and sportiness - the Mitsubishi Outlander GT Prototype. The all-new design study is the centerpiece of the Mitsubishi Motors exhibit at the New York International Auto Show, which continues through April 19.
The Diamond white Outlander GT Prototype infuses performance and design inspiration from Mitsubishi's Lancer sport sedans and provides clear indicators of the future of Outlander.
'The Outlander GT Prototype is packed with technology, performance and premium features that are uncommon in the compact SUV class,' commented John Koenig, executive vice president of Mitsubishi Motors North America. 'Along with its faster heartbeat, we also wanted to quicken pulses by channeling the look of our sportiest cars.'
- NY Auto ShowThe New York International Auto Show continues to be one of the most effective marketing opportunities for exhibitors. It's the largest-attended auto show in the country; the Show represents the nation's largest DMA for most automobile brands; and the majority of visitors come to make car-buying decisions.
This years event is open to the public from April 10th through the 19th. On display are many exciting and new concepts and future models. Cars that made their debuts month ago at various other shows have also been brought, making this a great opportunity to see what direction the auto industry is headed.
Follow the link for a growing list of vehicles from this years NY Auto Show.
- All-New 2009 Nissan NISMO 370Z Offers Racing-Inspired Performance and StyleThe all-new, second generation Nismo Nissan 370Z, which is set to go on sale at Nissan retailers nationwide in June 2009, continues the tradition of the original by offering unique performance and design attributes that true sports car enthusiasts are looking for - straight from the factory. Like the limited production Nismo Nissan 350Z introduced two years earlier, the new Nismo Nissan 370Z is a tuner-Z enthusiast's dream, featuring a 350-horsepower 3.7-liter V6, racing-inspired exterior and interior styling, a specially tuned suspension and special super-lightweight 19-inch forged alloy wheels.
The 2009 Nismo Nissan 370Z was developed by NNA's Specialty Vehicles Group in conjunction with Autech Japan, Nissan's longstanding conversion partner.
'The NISMO name is known throughout the world as the leading supplier of race-bred, factory-tuned, extreme performance Nissan parts, accessories and vehicles,' said Al Castignetti, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division, Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA). 'The new, second-generation Nismo Z proudly - and deservedly - wears the NISMO badge, carrying on the tradition of bringing racing-inspired performance and engineering to the street.'
The all-new Nismo Nissan 370Z is offered in one completely equipped model (no options) with a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission only.
- All-New Acura ZDX Debuts at New York International Auto ShowA prototype of the provocative Acura ZDX luxury four-door sports coupemade its world debut at the New York International Auto Show today. The production version of the dramatically styled prototype goes on-sale in the fall of 2009. The segment bending ZDX features stunning coupe-like styling with the added benefit of a commanding presence and flexible utility.
'The ZDX is truly a luxury performance coupe - plus,' said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. 'The emotional coupe styling coupled with a luxurious and dramatic interior and surprising versatility, allows the ZDX to define its own segment and attract an entirely new customer.'
- Scion Reveals iQ Concept at the 2009 New York International Auto ShowAt the New York Auto Show today, Scion unveiled a special concept version of the iQ micro-subcompact car designed to meet the transportation needs of young urban trendsetters.
Scion's iQ concept is a new urban vehicle with a revolutionary package that is just over 10 feet in length and accommodates three plus luggage. As more and more urban centers are revitalized with a new sense of purpose, energy, and creativity, young people are moving in from the suburbs to embrace new urbanism and are looking for a car that suits their needs and delivers high emotional value.
Scion's iQ concept is the intelligent answer to this need for highly emotional and efficient urban transportation. The convenience of having work, entertainment and culture nearby for young city-dwellers is a significant draw to urban centers. The vehicle must be able to navigate narrow, congested streets, park in tight places, have impressive fuel economy, and have compelling design and function.
- The 2009 Maserati GranTurismo MCThe new Maserati GranTurismo MC will be officially unveiled during the FIA GT 'Media Days' at the Paul Ricard circuit. The new model is an offshoot of the Maserati GranTurismo MC Concept introduced last September in Monza and based on the Maserati GranTurismo S road version, with electro-actuated gearbox system.
On 17 and 18 March the car participated in the 'Balance of performance', two days of practices organized by SRO at the Paul Ricard circuit in order to analyze and balance the performance of the models that will be racing in the GT4 European Cup.
A Maserati GranTurismo MC entered by a private team is to participate in some GT4 European Cup events during the second half of this season.
- Unrivalled capabilty and dynamics from the 2010 Range Rover Sport'The Range Rover Sport's performance, ride and handling have been transformed with the introduction of new engines, transmission and chassis systems. Combine these enhancements with the contemporary style and luxury of the revised interior, and it's clear that the Range Rover Sport remains the only choice as the quintessential SUV sports tourer,' says Phil Popham, Land Rover Managing Director.
The Range Rover Sport reaffirms its status as the most exciting and dynamic member of the Land Rover range with a comprehensive package of engineering and design changes for the 2010 model year. The vehicle's stylish new appearance signals the transformation under the skin, which includes two powerful and efficient new engines - the LR-V8 naturally aspirated and LR-V8 5.0-liter Supercharged, enhanced levels of interior craftsmanship and refinement, and significant improvements to both on-road and off-road driving dynamics.
- 2009 Saturn SkySaturn's popular Sky roadster, the first Saturn model in the brand's aggressive product renaissance, emphasizes a bold, European-inspired look and fun, responsive driving. The affordable performance roadster enters its third model year of wooing enthusiasts who want a sports car that doesn't break the bank.
Built on GM's global rear-wheel-drive compact performance platform, the Sky features a striking profile and sophisticated interior design. For 2009, Saturn adds three new colors, a new wheel and enhanced OnStar technology with Bluetooth hands-free telephone connectivity. Two new promotional packages also are added.
- 2010 Audi A5Dynamic and wonderful to look at, the new A5 Cabriolet is a real Audi, and an especially exciting one at that. The four-seater with the fabric top combines a sporty character with the fascination of open-top driving, refined comfort, and great everyday utility. Seven powerful engines, an agile suspension and a wide range of high-end options make the new Audi model the most attractive mid-range convertible. The top-of-the-line model of Audi's new family of convertibles is the S5 Cabriolet. The engine of the S5 Cabriolet is the newly developed, supercharged three-liter V6 with gasoline direct injection. Prices start at EUR 37,300 for the 1.8 TFSI with 118 kW (160 hp) and six-speed manual transmission. Delivery of the first A5 Cabriolet models will begin in the second quarter of 2009.
Like all open-top Audi models, the new A5 Cabriolet too has a classic fabric top - which endows it with a striking silhouette of dynamic elegance. The lightweight softtop opens in 15 seconds - and closes in 17 seconds. The fully automatic open/close drive comes as standard. An acoustic top is optionally available, which reduces wind noise almost to the hardtop level.
- 2010 Chevrolet CamaroChevrolet introduced the production 2010 Camaro today. It is a heritage-inspired sports car for the 21 st century, combining great looks and performance; advanced technology and surprising efficiency – including 26-mpg estimated highway fuel economy. Sales begin in the first quarter of 2009.
Built on GM's new, global rear-wheel-drive architecture, the Camaro is offered in V-6-powered LS and LT models, as well as the V-8-powered SS. All models and powertrain combinations include fuel-saving six-speed transmissions.
'Camaro delivers all of the things that make Chevrolet such a revered, global brand,' said Ed Peper, GM North America vice president, Chevrolet. 'It competes with the world's best sports cars and does so with styling, fuel economy and value our competitors simply can't match.'
- 2010 Lincoln MKZCustomers who have come to equate Lincoln with elegant, modern design, unparalleled comfort, unrivaled features and top quality have still more reason to favor the brand: the new 2010 Lincoln MKZ mid-size sedan.
'The new MKZ improves on the success of the current vehicle with Lincoln's new signature look, appointments that amplify and expand the Lincoln portfolio and a faster, more refined powertrain,' said Mark Fields, Ford's president of The Americas.
New for 2010, the MKZ features a new sport version with special sport suspension tuning with stiffer springs and larger stabilizer bars, 18-inch Euroflange polished wheels, darkened grille and headlamps, and an interior with contrasting piping and unique appliqués.
The new Lincoln MKZ also offers segment-exclusive features, including first-in-class Blind Spot Information System (BLIS™) with Cross Traffic Alert (CTA), which makes navigating traffic and parking lots safer and easier.
- 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-ClassMercedes-Benz is once again setting the standard with the new 2010MY E-Class in terms of safety, comfort and advanced technology in its market segment. The sedan further emphasizes the leading position held by Mercedes-Benz in the luxury class, with a unique combination of driver assistance systems. These include ATTENTION ASSIST, Adaptive High Beam Assist and automatic emergency braking, which is activated under immediate threat of a collision.
Mercedes-Benz has improved the already exemplary long-distance comfort of the E-Class even further in the new sedan. Advances include intelligent bodyshell technology with up to 30 percent greater stiffness, further improved seats and a newly developed suspension system with shock absorbers that automatically adjust to the driving situation. The available AIRMATIC suspension now works together with a continuously variable electronic damping system.
The outstanding safety and comfort of the E-Class are matched by its environmental compatibility and economy. The E-Class comes to the U.S. market with V6 and V8 gasoline engines, as well as the groundbreaking 50-state 3.0 liter BlueTEC diesel (launching in CY 2010) – the world's cleanest diesel engine, compliant with ULEV and Bin 5 standards.
- 2010 Pontiac G8 Sport TruckThe 2010 Pontiac G8 sport truck blurs the line between cars and trucks and is creating an all-new segment in the North American car market. This dramatically different vehicle blends the sporty handling of a performance coupe with the cargo capabilities of a light truck.
Based on the all-new Pontiac G8 performance sedan, the newest member of the G8 family has a longer wheelbase and a cargo bed suitable for either work or recreation. The G8 sport truck significantly stretches Pontiac's commitment to style and performance and is expected to arrive in dealers' showrooms in late 2009.
'Pontiac has never shied away from offering segment-defining vehicles, going back to the original GTO,' said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager. 'There's simply nothing else like the G8 sport truck on the road today, and we definitely believe that there are customers who will be excited by its distinctive design, performance and cargo capabilities.'
- 2010 Saab 9-3XThe Saab 9-3X is a rugged all-round car designed to take active individualists to the start of their adventure. With distinctive looks, a versatile SportCombi body, higher stance and advanced all-wheel drive technology, the 9-3X offers fuel efficiency and functional storage without limiting the kinds of roads that need to be driven. It is the ideal alternative to large and heavy crossovers or SUVs.
For the first time, Saab couples its E85-capable BioPower engine technology with the acclaimed Cross Wheel Drive (XWD) system. The 9-3X is also available with a 2.0-liter gasoline engine. A 1.9 TTiD diesel variant comes with front-wheel drive. All three fuel variants are efficient, four-cylinder engines turbocharged for added power. Overall, the 9-3X embodies Saab's EcoPower Technology philosophy, combining a dynamic driving experience with an efficient use of resources to achieve responsible performance.
- Bentley BrooklandsThe Bentley Brooklands is a stunning new model that marks the company's return to the luxury coupe market and reaffirms its reputation as creator of the world's most exclusive coupes. It is the ultimate Bentley: a stylish, four-seat, grand touring coupe with classic British proportions and muscular performance.
Bentley's chairman Dr Franz-Josef Paefgen describes the motivation behind the new coupe: 'Bentley's proud sporting pedigree, forged by the exploits of the immortal 'Bentley Boys' on the famous Brooklands* racetrack in the 1920s, was the inspiration for our new coupe, capturing all the style, power and splendour of that era.'
Sporting design cues are matched by the phenomenal performance engineering of Bentley's legendary Crewe-built V8 engine. The new Bentley Brooklands possesses the most powerful V8 the company has ever produced - a 530 bhp, twin-turbocharged 6.75-liter unit that also produces a prodigious 775 lb-ft of torque.
- BMW 1 SeriesIn spring 2008 BMW introduced a modern and authentic performance coupe that draws inspiration from its iconic 2002 models of some 40 years ago. The next BMW legend, the 1 Series Coupe, represents the core BMW philosophies of pure performance and premium design. By combining sporty rear-wheel-drive dynamics, agile handling, powerful engines and seating for four, the 2009 1 Series Coupe is continuing to reinvent the niche that the legendary BMW 2002 created.
For 2009 the BMW 1 Series has been enhanced with two new options to provide improved convenience and comfort. The first is a Heated Steering Wheel, which has been added to the Cold Weather Package on the 128i Coupe and is also available as a stand-alone option on the 135i Coupe (requires the Cold Weather Package). The second is the addition of BMW's 4th generation iDrive controller, available with the optional Navigation system, offering greater convenience and more intuitive operation. Additionally, the exterior color Space Gray Metallic replaces Sparkling Graphite Metallic.
- Chevrolet CorvetteAfter a milestone year in 2008 that saw the introduction of the LS3 6.2L V-8 as the new standard engine, a custom, leather-wrapped interior and more upgrades, the Corvette powers into 2009 with a raft of enhancements that further distinguish it and give customers more choices – including a lower-priced convertible model.
Of course, that range of choices also includes the ZR1, with its 6.2L supercharged engine that produces 638 horsepower (476 kW). (Please see the separate Corvette ZR1 release for complete information on Chevy's world-class supercar.)
'The Corvette is an American icon with world-class credentials,' said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. 'It's the car we all aspire to own and the 2009 edition, with more choices and features, only amplifies that craving.'
The '09 Corvette lineup includes the Corvette coupe and Corvette convertible, each powered by the 430-horsepower (321 kW) LS3 V-8, and the incomparable Corvette Z06. Equipped with the 505-horsepower (377 kW) LS7 engine and built on a lightweight chassis, the Z06 is a street-going descendent of the championship-winning Corvette racing program.
- All-New BMW X6 M and BMW X5 M Make World Debuts in 2009The modern, sustainable legacy of BMW M GmbH began in 1985 when engineers placed the snarling, race-bred inline-6 engine from the M1 supercar into the production BMW 5 Series sedan, reworked the suspension and brakes, and created the first M5. Through this industry-first combination of attributes, the M5 redefined the capabilities of a sedan with levels of power, precision, balance, and linear control never before imaginable. Since then, finding new ways to expand the boundaries of what is possible with existing BMW models has been the singular purpose of the craftsmen at BMW M. Now the BMW X5 M and the BMW X6 M are the first all-wheel-drive models to offer the remarkable performance, dynamic driving experience, athletic design, and premium quality of a BMW M product.
Both models are powered by a newly-developed 4.4-liter V8 M engine delivering 555 hp at 6,000 rpm and 500 lb-ft of torque from 1500 to 5,650 rpm. This new M engine is the world's first with a pulse-tuned exhaust manifold encompassing both rows of cylinders combined with high-performance twin-scroll twin turbo technology.
- GMC EXPANDS ITS ENGINEERING EXPERTISE WITH THE EFFICIENT AND CAPABLE 2010 TERRAINGMC's all-new 2010 Terrain makes its world debut at the 2009 New York International Auto Show. The Terrain is a five-passenger crossover SUV that blends bold styling with fuel efficiency and premium features.
'The new Terrain brings GMC's history of innovation and engineering excellence into a smaller, fuel-efficient package for today's buyer,' said Susan Docherty, Buick-Pontiac-GMC vice president. 'The capability attributes that make a vehicle a GMC are ingrained in Terrain, making it an appealing choice for existing traditional SUV customers who are looking for distinctive styling and increased efficiency.'
A new, 2.4L four-cylinder engine that features direct injection is expected to deliver best-in-segment highway fuel economy of 30 mpg. Maximum fuel economy is achieved in part with an 'ECO' mode that is activated via a console-mounted button. When engaged, it lowers the torque converter lockup speed to 1,125 rpm to help save fuel on models equipped with the 2.4L engine.
- 11th annual Automobiles of Amelia Island AuctionThe 11th annual Automobiles of Amelia Island auction presented by RM Auctions had a very impressive 83% sales ratio with total sales over $12.5 million. The single day auction offered 107 significant motor cars and a selection of vintage memorabilia to a wide audience of collector car enthusiasts. The overflowing auction room was standing room only for nearly the entire event, plus attracting a large volume of Internet and telephone bids.
The Amelia Island vintage car weekend is a permanent and popular fixture on the automotive calendar, and enjoyed national and international attendance,' said Ian Kelleher, President and Chief Operating Officer of RM Auctions.
'Results from our Amelia auction indicate the market remains stable for quality collector cars with continued passion for the hobby from around the world,' he added.
- The Bentley Franay Drophead CoupeIn 1947, only two Bentley Franays were commissioned. This car was ordered by a Frenchman who wanted it for extensive touring throughout Europe.
After finding its way to England, it was 'restored' to a pleasing appearance and sold to the current owners in 2000.
It has since been disassembled and restored properly, including new wood.
- Duesenberg Model J SkiffThanks to its timeless beauty, immense size, super power, high price, engineering excellence, and exclusivity, the Duesenberg has the distinction of being one of the most admired cars of all time. The cars were built in Indianapolis, Indiana from the late 1920s until the late 1930's. The original Duesenberg of 1921 had the honor of being the first American car with a straight-eight as well as the first with 4-wheel hydraulic brakes. Under the ownership of E.L. Cord, Duesenberg would introduce the Model J on December 1, 1928 at the New York Automobile Salon. The chassis alone would cost $8,500 rising to $9,500 by 1932; this at a time when a Ford Model A would retail for $480. With completed coachwork, prices would easily exceed $20,000 and over 5,000 pounds. Production cars could top 115 mph, and reach 88 mph in second gear; this when most cars could barely reach 70mph! The car would unabashedly be advertised as 'The World's Finest Motor Car' and the only copy used in many of the company's advertisements would be simply, 'He drives a Duesenberg.' The list of Duesenberg owners would be a Who's Who of Hollywood along with captains of industry.
- Duesenberg Model SJNIn the mid-1930s, a contemporary series of Duesenbergs was offered featuring a wider body dropped over the frame rails for a lower profile. Designated the 'JN' series, they were designed by Herb Newport of Rollston and Company of New York. Only four cabriolet convertibles were built, with the first one going to Hollywood legend Clark Gable. This remarkable automobile is the only factory-equipped supercharged Duesenberg Model JN ever produced. The car has been driven only 16,500 miles. The supercharged straight-eight engine displaced 420 cubic-inches, with twin overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. Brakes were vacuum-assisted hydraulic oversized units. Aluminum alloy was used extensively in the engine, dash, steering column, differential and flywheel housing, crankcase, timing chain cover, intake manifold, brake shoes and even the gas tank. The use of aluminum kept the weight of this massive car just under 5,200 pounds. The JN model was capable of a staggering 89 mph in second gear and 112-116 mph in high gear. This is an original, unrestored example.
- FORD TRANSIT CONNECT FAMILY ONE CONCEPT: SMART, GREEN, FUN FOR CHILDREN, PARENTS ALIKEFord is listening to the unique wants and needs of families and responds with the Transit Connect Family One concept – a space that's all about helping parents and engaging children.
'Transit Connect is a versatile vehicle that can be adapted to a wide variety of applications,' said Mark Fields, Ford's president of The Americas. 'The Family One concept delivers fun with function. This fun, cool space is for parents and small children alike, combining fuel efficiency with advanced technologies that can help keep families connected on the go.'
- Mitsubishi Outlander GT PrototypeThe centerpiece of Mitsubishi Motors' stand at next week's New York Auto Show will be the Outlander GT Prototype. Building on the success of the current Outlander, this sporty compact CUV will make its World debut on April 9.
Dressed in a premium Diamond white hue, the Outlander GT Prototype showcases a host of new technologies, such as Idle Neutral Logic that automatically shifts the transmission into neutral during vehicle standstill, improved performance and fuel economy from its more powerful 3.0-liter SOHC MIVEC V6 engine, and a Super-All-Wheel-Control System offering superior handling and control. Additionally, there is a number of exciting design elements that help distinguish the Outlander GT Prototype, including Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution's signature 'Jet Fighter' grille.
- The 2009 Toyota 4RunnerThe 2009 Toyota 4Runner full-capability sport-utility vehicle adds an optional Trail Edition package. Available exclusively for the 4Runner SR5 with V6 and 4WD, the Trail Edition package combines enhanced off-road capability with unique design.
For better off-road performance, the package adds a locking rear differential, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Bilstein shock absorbers and unique 16-inch alloy wheels with 265/70R16 tires. Externally, the Trail Edition package distinguishes the 4Runner with color-keyed grille, door handles, rear license plate garnish and 'Trail Edition' badging, as well as black tubular side steps and tubular roof rack. The Trail Edition package is available in three exterior colors: Titanium Metallic, Natural White and Shadow Mica.
- The 2009 Volvo S80Entering its third year since a major redesign, Volvo's flagship S80 enhances its premium luxury charter with increased standard amenities across the board. The model lineup for 2009 includes the normally aspirated S80 3.2, the turbocharged S80 T6 AWD fitted with Volvo's renown all-wheel drive with Instant TractionTM and the top flight S80 V8 AWD - the first and only Volvo sedan equipped with a powerful yet remarkably compact and highly efficient V8 engine.
Among the enhanced list of standard equipment, the S80 3.2 and T6 feature a Bluetooth hands-free phone interface, watch dial instrument cluster, Rainsensor windshield wipers, blueband tinted windshield and redesigned 17-inch alloy wheels. A new Convenience Package offers the Personal Car Communicator (PCC), Interior Air Quality System (IAQS), front and rear park assist and Dynaudio Premium Sound System with Dolby® Pro Logic® II Surround Sound with rear headphone jacks. Dual xenon active bending headlights and 18-inch alloy wheels are now stand-alone options.
- After 29 Bids, This Alvis Speed 25 was Sold!At the recent Automobiles of Amelia Island auction presented by RM Auctions, this Alvis Speed 25 wearing touring coachwork by Cross & Ellis was estimated to sell for as high as $175,000. Bidding began at $40,000 and quickly rose to $100,000, though it took eleven bids to do so. 18 bids later, it had reached its climax and the gavel fell for the third and final time, signaling the ownership had changed. The lot was sold for $173,250 including buyer's premium.
This beautifully restored example of a fine British touring car is the 37th of the 38 built. It has a number of special features including a Luvax one-shot chassis oiling system, adjustable shocks, chassis mounted scissor jacks, wind tone horns and dual side mounted spares. It has been shown at Amelia Island and Pebble Beach as well as events in England.
- Keels & Wheels Concours : The Unveiling of a New WatercarOn May 2-3, 2009, the largest gathering of classic cars and vintage boats in the Nation will be on display at the Lakewood Yacht Club in Seabrook, Texas for the 14th Annual Keels & Wheels Concours d'Elegance.
WaterCar, Inc is the brainchild of Dave March and his two sons. For over thirty years March has been an avid high performance car and boat enthusiast. In 1998 March accepted an offer to sell his business and semi-retired. He was looking for a challenge when his youngest son expressed an interest in amphibious vehicles. Together, they restored a 1964 Amphicar. However, they were very disappointed by its performance. It was fun to drive into the water but once in, it traveled at a top speed of 7 mph. March discovered there had been a number of amphibious vehicles constructed through the years, but no one had successfully built one capable of operating at high speed in both the water, and on land. To do so became March's obsession.
- Kia KND-5 ConceptKia released the first official images of the near-luxury sedan concept car, code-named KND-5, ahead of its debut at the Seoul Motor Show 2009 which opens to the press on April 2.
KND-5 boasts a dynamic and balanced appearance that reflects the style of the near-luxury sedan VG (code name) which is scheduled to debut in Korea in late 2009.
VG will be Kia's first near-luxury sedan and complete the automaker's passenger car lineup along with the Lotze mid-sized sedan (known as 'Optima' or 'Magentis' in overseas markets) and Opirus luxury sedan (known as 'Amanti' in North America).
- The DuPont Model GE. Paul DuPont was a wealthy industrialist who formed his company to build quality cars in limited numbers. DuPont hired the best stylists in the business. From the start, DuPont's cars earned a reputation for elegant and graceful coachwork. The Model G series, produced from 1929 to the company's demise in 1932, was offered in 12 different body styles. DuPont customers included Douglas Fairbanks, Jack Dempsey and Will Rogers.
- 'Burt's Bandit' Heads the Star Cast of Automotive Icons to be Auctioned in Houston on May 2ndWorldwide Auctioneers, responsible for the sale of some of the world's greatest collector cars, has confirmed today that a 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am ‘Bandit' Sports Coupe, currently the property of Mr. Burt Reynolds, will go under the hammer at its fifth annual Houston Classic Auction on May 2nd.
Immortalized in the 1970's movie Smokey and the Bandit, the Trans Am became a screen legend in its own right, starring alongside Burt Reynolds, Sally Fields and Jackie Gleason in the cops and robbers box office hit. Burt Reynolds acquired this special example for his own use, properly restored with slight modification for 'the Bandit' himself, before the TV series began. It wears the full black and gold paint scheme, snowflake rims and body ground effects with flairs and spoilers. The interior is decked out in full gear, complete with embroidered Bandit portrait headrests and Cobra CB radio, ready to check out the 10-20 of the Smokeys.