2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 |
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec |
- Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0: Biggest 911 Engine Ever OfferedThe 911 GT3 RS, one of Porsche's most popular, coveted and successful track-inspired production cars, has been given a final, thrilling injection of thoroughbred motorsport technology resulting in the 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0. Limited to 600 vehicles worldwide, the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 brings together in a sports car the attributes that have made the Porsche 911 GT3 a consistent winner on the race track.
The motorsport-derived 4.0-liter engine, already the highest displacement 911 engine ever, also features the highest per-liter output -- 125 horsepower (hp) per liter -- from a naturally aspirated Porsche flat-six engine. The engine uses forged pistons, the connecting rods are fashioned from titanium, and the crankshaft has been lifted unchanged from the 911 GT3 RSR race car. It achieves its maximum power of 500 hp at 8,250 rpm. Maximum torque of 339 ft/lbs is reached at 5,750 rpm.
- Zagato Unveils the TZ3 StradaleThe 'TZ3 program' managed by Zagato to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Alfa Romeo (1910-2010) ends with the delivery of the TZ3 Stradale.
The initiative started in 2009 with the manufacturing of the 'one off' TZ3 Corsa which won the Villa D'Este Design Concept Award in 2010 and followed with nine TZ3 Stradale.
The TZ3 Corsa is based on a mono shell carbon fibre chassis, coupled with a tubular frame and a handbeaten lightweight aluminium body. It's equipped with a front-central V8 90° 4.2 litres engine and 6-speed sequential gearbox.
The TZ3 Stradale is based on the Viper ACR mechanical chassis with a carbon fibre body. 'Bellezza necessaria' is the inspiration of this car which matches for the first time an USA power train and can represent the first American Alfa Romeo.
- Chrysler CL Custom ImperialThe Chrysler Imperial, introduced in 1926, was the company's top of the range vehicle for much of its history. Chrysler introduced another industry first - a silent-running transmission with helical gears. Chrysler's 1933 models were also equipped with another new feature - a gas pedal-operated starter.
The Chrysler Imperial was redesigned in 1931. The car received a new engine, a 384.84 cubic-inch (6308cc) 8-cylinder. Marketing materials for this generation of Imperial referred to the car as the 'Imperial 8,' in reference to the new in-line 8-cylinder engine. The engine would be found in many other Chrysler vehicles. The redesign also saw the introduction of new wire wheels that became a standard wheel treatment until the 1940s.
- The McLaren M29Even some of the best teams and individuals go through dark periods where the constitution is severely tested. It is these moments that are of utmost in importance for the choices made will, quite possibly, dictate every response in any given situation from that point onwards. The ability get back up and try again makes the difference between those who become the best and those that don't even exist.
After a successful early and middle-part of the 1970s decade, McLaren began to struggle. Thoroughly dominated by the Lotus 78 and 79 ground-effect chassis, neither one of McLaren's cars would challenge for either the Drivers' or the Constructors' Championships throughout the later part of the 1970s. Then, the team would hit its lowest point with what was called the 'ghastly' M28 chassis. This chassis, used during the 1979 season, would only help John Watson score mediocre points. The car didn't have the performance necessary to challenge some of the mid-pack runners, let alone Ligier-Ford or Ferrari. The team needed to do something, and fast.
Gordon Cuppock, who had designed the 'ghastly' M28, would be given another chance to create a winning design. However, even though he had another chance to build a better car, time was not on his side. He would need to make obvious changes in order to improve performance.
- Maserati introduces a taste of the race-bred GranTurismo MC Stradale's magic to North America with the GranTurismo MCLaunched at Maserati's new stand-alone showroom in the prestigious TriBeCa area of New York, the GranTurismo MC is the fastest production car Maserati has ever sold in the ÚS market.
With a top speed of 298km/h and a 0-100km/h (62mph) time of just 4.9 seconds, the GranTurismo MC is only 3km/h slower than the ultra-aggressive MC Stradale, even though it is aimed at a slightly more luxurious market.
The major difference between the MC Stradale and the GranTurismo MC is in the transmission. Where the MC Stradale boasts the fastest gearshift in the world, the GranTurismo MC has one of the fastest shifts of any full automatic transmission in production.
- 2012 Mazda3The 2012 Mazda 3 made its Ú.S. debut at the 2011 New York International Auto Show. Face-lifted with an even more refined exterior and interior, the 2012 Mazda 3 also is the first application in North America of Mazda's innovative SKYACTIV fuel-saving and performance-oriented technologies, achieving 40 mpg on the highway. The Mazda 3 model is Mazda's best-selling vehicle worldwide and accounts for nearly half of all Mazda sales in the Únited States, making the vehicle a prime candidate for introducing SKYACTIV to consumers lòòking for dynamic performance coupled with high fuel efficiency.
'SKYACTIV is not just an engine; it is the next generation of advanced vehicle performance and efficiency,' said Jim O'Sullivan, President and CEO, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO). 'SKYACTIV embodies Mazda's philosophy of engineering only vehicles that are fun to drive, satisfying to own and environmentally responsible; and there is no better vehicle to start with than the Mazda 3, one of the most exciting sport compact cars on the road.'
- 2012 Nissan VersaSmall on the outside, big on the inside. Smart technology with next-generation efficiency. A $10,990 starting M.S.R.P. and low cost of ownership. New dual injector system and sub-planetary CVT design. Expected combined city/highway fuel economy of 33 miles per gallon. New global 'V' (for Versatile) platform. Sophisticated styling, high quality interior.
There are myriad ways the all-new 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan breaks new ground for entry-level compact sedans. And many ways to sum them all up. But perhaps a simple statement is best: Innovation Within Reach.
'Compact cars are getting a lot of attention lately due to rising fuel costs and concerns about the environment. Yet many buyers are disappointed in what they find – vehicles rife with compromise,' says Al Castignetti, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division, Nissan North America, Inc. 'This new Versa Sedan, a ‘clean sheet' ground-up design, takes small cars in a whole new direction – proving that you don't have to sacrifice style for affordability, interior roominess for a smaller footprint, or drivability for high mpg.'
- ALL-NEW 2012 KIA RIO SEDAN MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT THE NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOWKia Motors America (KMA) today globally unveiled the all-new 2012 Rio sub-compact sedan at the New York International Auto Show. Scheduled to join the KMA lineup this fall – along with its hatchback sibling unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show and shown today for the first time in North America – the all-new Rio ushers in the next chapter of Kia Motors' ongoing design-led transformation with previously unseen levels of eye-catching design, advanced technologies and sophistication in the small car §egmènt. With all-new ISG technology and class-leading horsepower and fuel economy of 40 miles per gallon2, Rio promises consumers impressive fuel efficiency without sacrificing power or fun-to-drive performance.
- Benchmark for Performance and EfficiencyThe E63 AMG is now even more powerful and efficient. As part of the 'AMG Performance 2015' model strategy, the high-performance EClass now features the new 5.5-liter V8 biturbo engine. Familiar from the 2012 CLS63 AMG this new engine can produce either 518 hp or 550 hp, together with an impressive reduction in fuel consumption - 22 percent less based on the European driving cycle. Also responsible for improved fuel economy is the newly developed electromechanical AMG speed-sensitive sports §teering system which only draws power during §teering wheel movements. The 2012MY E63 AMG goes on-sale in the Ú.S. this Fall.
This eight-cylinder powerhouse, designated internally as the M157, boasts a combination of innovative high-tech components such as spray-guided direct gasoline injection with piezo injectors, a full aluminum crankcase, four-valve technology with camshaft adjustment, air/water intercooling, generator management and an Eco Stop/Start system. With a displacement of 5,461 cc the eight-cylinder engine develops a peak output of 518 hp and torque of 516 lb-ft. In conjunction with the optional AMG Performance Package, these figures increase to 550 hp and 590 lb-ft. Both variants of the E63 AMG achieve exceptional performance: acceleration from zero to 60 mph takes 4.4 and 4.3 seconds respectively and the top speed is 155 mph or 186 mph with the AMG Performance Package (electronically limited).
- 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8The Street and Racing Technology (SRT) performance engineering team builds upon the all-new 2011 Chrysler 300 sedan already executed for a world-class luxury experience, to deliver Chrysler's most powerful and best handling model ever.
Projected performance numbers include 0-60 mph acceleration in the high 4-second range; quarter mile in high 12 second range; 0-100-0 mph in less than 16 seconds, top speed of 175 mph and stopping power from 60-0 mph in 120 feet.
Owners of any Chrysler Group SRT vehicle receive one day of professional driving instruction from the Richard Petty Racing School as part of the SRT Track Experience, designed to maximize their driving knowledge and skills on the street or track. Sessions are held throughout the year at selected tracks.
The return of the 300 SRT8 to the Chrysler lineup in 2012 evokes a strong comparison to the original high-performance production car of its time – the 1955 Chrysler 300. Known for simple, strong lines, excellent engineering, high levels of luxury and outstanding performance with the first modern American V-8 engine to produce 300 horsepower, the first Chrysler 300 (C-300) was styled by Virgil Exner, who radically redesigned the entire Chrysler line and created what they called 'The Forward Look' in 1955. Without much chrome on the sides, his designs were simple, but strong. Exner is credited with creating the illusion of fast, forward movement.
- 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8The most powerful, technologically advanced, high-performance Jeep® vehicle ever – the all-new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8® – arrives this summer with a combination of Jeep's legendary capability and utility, merged with the renowned advanced performance engineering from Chrysler Group LLC's Street and Racing Technology (SRT) team.
Delivering outstanding driving performance in all conditions, and complemented by key SRT attributes – including functional, performance-oriented styling, world-class ride and handling, benchmark braking and race-inspired interior appointments – the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 broadens the Jeep vehicle lineup and builds upon the successful launch of the award-winning 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
'The all-new 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 is the ultimate performance SUV, delivering a combination of Jeep capability and utility, world-class performance, luxury and refinement, and advanced innovative technology,' said Mike Manley, President and CEO — Jeep Brand, Chrysler Group LLC. 'Jeep vehicles have long been known for their off-road capability. In addition to Jeep four-wheel-drive traction and utility, the Grand Cherokee SRT8 takes capability to a new level by giving driving enthusiasts extreme performance for the street and track.
- 2012 Nissan GT-RNow in its fourth year of availability in the North American market, the 2012 Nissan GT-R has a new look, new colors, new wheel design and, most important to fans of pure power, more horsepower under the hood. In addition, a new 'Black Edition'– with unique seat trim, interior colors and wheels – joins the GT-R Premium model. The latest iteration of Nissan's legendary supercar will be available at official 'GT-R certified' Nissan dealers across the Únited States beginning in February 2011.
The 2012 Nissan GT-R's advanced VR38DETT 3.8-liter twin turbo V6 now produces 530 horsepower (versus the previous 485 horsepower) and 448 lb-ft of torque (versus the previous 434 lb-ft) – a result of modifying the boost pressure of the turbocharger, valve timing and air fuel ratio, and through reducing intake air resistance by enlarging the inlet pipe diameter. In addition, exhaust air resistance was reduced through use of an enlarged section of exhaust pipe.
- HYUNDAI REVOLUTIONIZES THE SUBCOMPACT CAR WITH THE ALL-NEW ACCENT AT THE NY AUTO SHOWHyundai Motor America introduced the all-new 2012 Accent with best-in-class standard fuel economy and power at the New York International Auto Show today. This marks the Ú.S. debut of the latest version of the popular subcompact sedan and the new top-of-the line, more functional Accent five-door. The 2012 Accent is slated to hit dealerships this summer.
Accent redefines expectations in the subcompact category by offering the company's distinctive and upscale 'Fluidic Sculpture' design, best-in-class standard fuel economy, exceptional roominess and a full complement of standard safety features. Despite surprising technology and a significant increase in safety features, Hyundai will hold the line on pricing from the prior generation to continue delivering unmistakable value to customers.
- Jeep® Broadens Wrangler Lineup with New 'Mojave' Special-edition ModelBuilding on the success of three special-edition Wrangler vehicles produced last year, the Jeep® brand is introducing its latest Wrangler model: the new 2011 Jeep Wrangler Mojave.
Paying tribute to the well-known and rugged western desert Mojave Trail, Jeep Wrangler Mojave features a unique desert theme inside and out, and an aggressive wheel and tire package to tackle the toughest terrain.
'The Mojave Trail is known for expeditions, exploration and a rugged environment that features elevation, sand, canyons, a river crossing and hill climbs – the perfect landscape for the Jeep Wrangler,' said Mike Manley, President and CEO — Jeep Brand, Chrysler Group LLC. 'By creating the Jeep Wrangler Mojave, we are able to deliver another specialized vehicle that Jeep enthusiasts will love, while drawing new customers into Jeep showrooms.'
- Malibu ECO Most Fuel-Efficient Chevrolet Midsize Ever Delivers the fuel economy of a compact car in a midsize sedanChevrolet celebrated Earth Day at the New York Auto Show by introducing the all-new 2013 Malibu ECO, the most fuel-efficient midsize sedan in its 100-year history. It features eAssist™ 'light electrification' technology, which is engineered to deliver an estimated 26 mpg in city driving and 38 mpg on the highway without compromising performance.
ECO is based on the all-new, 2013 Malibu sedan, which will be sold in nearly 100 countries on six continents. Sales of the new Malibu begin with the ECO model in the Únited States in early 2012. The Malibu LS, LT and LTZ trim level offerings join the ECO in summer 2012. Pricing will be announced later.
'The Malibu ECO is a smart choice for customers who want excellent fuel economy without the price premium of popular hybrid sedans,' said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. 'The Malibu ECO's 38-mpg highway estimate is comparable with those hybrids.'
- New 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Receives Li-Ion Battery TechnologyThe all-new 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid combines the sophistication of the Civic Sedan with the latest version of the Honda Integrated Motor Assist (IMA®) hybrid drivetrain.
Now with added features, new technology and the best EPA-estimated fuel economy of any sedan in the Únited States, the 2012 Civic Hybrid offers a higher fuel economy rating of 44/44/44 mpg1 city/highway/combined, up from 40/43/41 in the 2011 Civic Hybrid. Like other members of the Civic family, the 2012 Civic Hybrid gains new features and sleeker styling. Exclusive styling includes the front grill, headlights, taillights, wheels and side mirrors. The two available models are the Civic Hybrid with cloth seats and a Civic Hybrid with leather seating surfaces. Either version can be equipped with a navigation system.
'The Civic Hybrid provides the advantages of hybrid technology while maintaining the look and feel of a familiar sedan,' said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda Motor Co., Inc. 'The car's fuel economy rating can be summed up quite easily – 44 miles per gallon says it all.'
- Scion Introduces FR-S Sports Coupe Concept at 2011 New York Auto ShowScion unveiled the rear-wheel drive FR-S Concept sports coupe today at the 2011 New York International Auto Show. The concept, which sets out to stimulate the souls of true driving enthusiasts, will be at the Scion display through May 1. The FR-S Concept will inspire a new model coming to the Scion brand next year.
The FR-S Concept, which stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel drive, Sport; is Scion's definition of an authentic rear-wheel-drive sports car with compelling style, exceptionally balanced performance and handling, flexible utility and surprising MPG.
'Scion is always experimenting with new things,' said Jack Hollis, Scion vice president. 'The brand is iconic with the xB, adrenalized by the tC, and groundbreaking with the iQ. The FR-S will expand the brand into yet another new dimension that I know it is truly destined for.'
- 2012 Infiniti M HybridThe top line message on the new Infiniti M Hybrid, the first true performance luxury hybrid sedan, is pretty easy to understand – cleaner, greener and faster. With its high power output, Infiniti Direct Response Hybrid™ system technology and strong rear-wheel drive driving feel, it's a true 'driver's hybrid.'
Key to the M35h's inspired – and green – performance is an innovative yet elegantly simple gasoline/electric drivetrain, which ensures that zero-emissions electric propulsion is used more often, for longer periods and at higher speeds than in typical hybrids.
The M35h can drive on electric power alone at speeds up to 62 mph. It can travel on electric propulsion for up to 1.2 miles at a time. Tests have shown that in mixed diving, the Infiniti M35h is able to drive in electric only mode for as much as 50% of the time.
- 2012 Subaru ImprezaFuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced that it will exhibit the all-new Impreza 4-door and 5-door models (Ú.S. specifications) as a world premiere at the New York International Auto Show (Press day: April 20 and April 21; Open to the public from April 22 through May 1). The new Impreza will offer the highest fuel economy* of any all-wheel drive car in the ÚS. Totally new designs will propose roomier cabin space with new level of comfort and refinement for enhanced product appeal.
- 2013 Chevrolet MalibuThe all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu made its global debut today, with simultaneous introductions in the Únited States and China – two of the nearly 100 countries on six continents where it will be sold. Chevrolet's first global midsize sedan will provide customers from Shanghai to New York and Sydney to Sao Paulo with expressive design, advanced technologies, ride performance and fuel-efficient powertrains.
'The current Malibu has left an award-winning impression and changed the way people think about Chevrolet. It redefined what an American midsize car could be,' said Rick Scheidt, vice president, Chevrolet Marketing. 'This all-new Malibu delivers on the intangibles of today's Malibu but gives customers even more: more style, fuel efficiency, content and features, craftsmanship, and dynamic capabilities rivaling high-end sedans.'
- A luxury Volvo for China and the world : The Volvo Concept UniverseAt the Shanghai Auto Show in April 2011, Volvo Car Corporation visualises a masterpiece of Scandinavian Design for car buyers with exquisite tastes.
The Concept Úniverse is a large, luxurious sedan with a new human-centric design language that honours the beautiful lines of classic Volvo models.
'The Concept Úniverse offers the world a sneak preview of what people can expect from our next top-of-the-line sedan,' says Stefan Jacoby, President and CEO of Volvo Car Corporation.
- FHI Introduces the 'SUBARU XV CONCEPT'The SUBARU XV CONCEPT is Subaru's design concept car that defines a new generation of crossover vehicle, blending exceptional SÚV practicality with a fashionable form. The key design concept is 'Protren'. This word was coined from 'Professional tool' and 'Trendy design'. It expresses the integration of 'authentic functionality as a professional tool' and 'urban and stylish design'.
The vehicle was engineered to blend the crossover-like commanding silhouette with a fashionable image in a single, modern package. Its contemporary looks and electrifying lines are guaranteed to turn heads, as its body exhibits the very solid, dynamic and independent styling so characteristic of all Subaru's.
- Rolls-Royce Ghost Extended WheelbaseThe ultra-luxury saloon, the sixth new model from Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, caters for customers who require increased space and comfort without sacrificing Ghost's unique balance of dynamism and poise.
The award-winning, four-seater Ghost has seen outstanding demand since its worldwide launch in 2009. Designed as a vision of simplicity, it is a Rolls-Royce that drives and rides in peerless fashion. Ghost Extended Wheelbase takes this principle further, designed as a car to drive or in which to be chauffeured. It will be built to order and is available in only limited numbers for 2011 until full production begins in 2012.
Ghost's ample interior space is further enhanced in the Extended Wheelbase variant by the addition of 170mm to the car's wheelbase, but with no detriment to the model's balanced proportions and stunning contemporary design. Legroom is significantly enhanced with knee-room more than doubled compared to the standard Ghost.
- Sportiest Ford Taurus SHO So Far Gets New, Enhanced Dynamics, Bigger Brakes and Performance-Inspired DesignThe new Ford Taurus SHO is the sportiest Taurus yet to wear the coveted performance badge. With its unique blend of the award-winning, fuel-efficient EcoBoost™ engine, enhanced driving dynamics and performance-inspired design, the new Taurus SHO shows it means business. An unprecedented combination of horsepower, technology and fuel economy takes this acclaimed sporting sedan to a whole new level.
'The Taurus SHO has always followed the original formula of §téälthy sleeper, and the new model is no exception,' said Gordon Platto, chief designer. 'We wanted to keep the subtle, understated, yet sporty elegance, but at the same time we knew it was time to even more fully differentiate the Super High Output model from other Taurus series models.'
- SUZUKI REVEALS KIZASHI ECOCHARGE CONCEPT AT 2011 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOWAmerican Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC) unveiled a gas-electric concept variant of its Kizashi sedan at the company's 2011 New York International Auto Show (NYIAS) press conference this evening. With the moniker Kizashi EcoCharge Concept, this innovative and eye-catching four-door further illustrates Suzuki's global eco-mobility story, and accentuates the company's effort in socially-conscious motoring.
'We are continuing to study the virtues of the gas-electric technology found in the Kizashi EcoCharge Concept,' said Steve Younan, director of automotive marketing and product planning for American Suzuki Motor Corporation. 'Our basic concept was to attain substantial gains in fuel economy without the traditional sacrifices in drivability required with today's mid-size hybrid sedans. The proof of our concept is that the Kizashi EcoCharge has the capability to deliver a 25 percent fuel economy gain in real-world driving through an electric charge to the powertrain system while still retaining the production Kizashi's dynamic handling and braking advantages that make it a standout category performer.'
- An icon debuts in Shanghai, Berlin and New YorkA look back to the start: at the beginning Volkswagen built one of the most successful cars of all time and did not even give it a name. Why should it? After all, it was the Volkswagen! People loved it, and on all of the world's continents the small car was nicknamed according to precisely what it looked like: Beetle, Käfer, Vocho, Coccinelle, Fusca, or Maggiolino! It embodied the automotive concept itself and symbolised the democratisation of mobility. 21.5 million cars were sold. Then the New Beetle arrived in 1998. It introduced a new automotive feeling to the world and brought with it Beetle Mania. In 2010, the Final Edition completed the New Beetle series that had sold more than one million cars. And now? A look forward. The future of the most famous car in the world begins now. In a completely new generation. It's The Beetle! And because Volkswagen and the Beetle call the globe their home, the new car is celebrating a transcontinental world debut – simultaneously in Shanghai, Berlin and New York .
- Distinctive Style and Attitude Define the New 2011 Chrysler 200 S Sedan and 2011 Chrysler 200 S ConvertibleThe new Chrysler 200 series vehicles provide customers elegant, well-crafted mid-size vehicles with an extraordinary level of standard content and an exhilarating driving experience. From the ground up, the new 2011 Chrysler 200 sedan and convertible have been redesigned and upgraded to deliver great American design and engineering, with a value proposition that exceeds expectations.
Now, with the introduction of the S models, Chrysler expands the lineup, offering customers production vehicles with a one-of-a-kind style. The S models have the same DNA as the traditional models, but with an entirely different appearance and attitude. While the traditional Chrysler models make a style and luxury statement, the S models create a different path through the Chrysler brand, taking style in a whole new direction, with a completely different attitude.
- The Chevy CorvetteThe original purpose of Chevrolet's Corvette was 'image'. Corvette's image, despite some less-than-favorable cosmetic jobs, has always managed to remain intact. While 'image' was the watch-word, the second generation of the Corvette, added exercise and muscle-tone to that image to foster a sportier, athletic build.
The Corvette's produced between 1963 and 1967 were the result of a couple of different inspirations, but perhaps, none as big as Jaguar's E-Type chassis. One of Corvette's designers had an E-Type Jaguar at the time and its lines are clearly visible in the car's design.
Some of the features found on the second generation of the Corvette included the split rear-window, electronic ignition, four-wheel disc brakes, an AM/FM radio, air-conditioning, a telescoping steering wheel and headrests.
- Scarab Sports RoadstersOf the eight Scarab racers built, the brain children of 22-year old Lance Reventlow - whose father was a European count, whose mother was heiress to the Woolworth fortune, and whose wife at the time was actress Jill St. John - four were astounding successes and four were spectacular failures. An intensely competitive racer, Reventlow recognized the European racing factories always kept the latest racing model for their own teams and only by producing his own car could he achieve technical equality.
Reventlow commenced building his American car at Warren Olson's sport car shop in West Los Angeles. A 301-cubic-inch overbored version of Chevrolet's small block 283 cubic inch V-8 was coupled with a Corvette four-speed gearbox. This power-train was mounted in a light 127-pound space frame chassis wrapped with an aluminum skin to the configuration you see. The engine stroke was quickly increased to enlarge displacement to 339 cubic inches.
- Peugeot SXC ConceptAthletic, powerful, elegant, the 'SXC', a Concept Car from the Peugeot Style Studios of the China Tech Center in Shanghai, explores the world of an exclusive and modern Crossover. With the SXC, unveiled at the Shanghai Motor Show, Peugeot reasserts its international ambitions, refining its ability to adapt to the specific expectations of each market, while expressing in all areas its vision for the future and its skill in combining pursuit of excellence and emotion.
The SXC is a vehicle with a strong, asserted character, its style expressing strength and power, without ostentation, through lines both simple and refined, elegant and fluid, which subtly emphasise the athletic, even muscular, character of the vehicle. Each detail is precisely sculpted on a body of impressive size (with a length of 4.870 m, a height of 1.610 m and a width of 2.035 m).
- Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud IICharles Steward Rolls, the aristocrat, and Frederick Henry Royce, the engineer, had this in common: they both believed that they could build a far superior automobile to the ones on the market in 1903 and proceeded to do so in the following year. They not only achieved their goals, they set a standard of elegance and refinement that has lasted for over a century - thereby making Rolls-Royce Motor Cars the paradigm of comparison for all who strive for excellence in the automotive world.
The differences between the Silver Cloud I and the Silver Cloud II are not immediately evident, even when the two stand side by side. The air intake grills under the headlamps were no black; the §teering wheel was slightly smaller in diameter and positioned nearer to the dashboard, and behind the wheel arch in the right-hand fender, the factory air conditioning unit was mounted. Visually the two were identical, but it was the mechanics that enjoyed the major changes, the first and foremost being the all-aluminum 6.23-liter V-8 that replaced the straight six of the Silver Cloud I.
- 2012 Camaro: 45th Anniversary Edition Boosts Power, ComfortChevrolet Camaro, America's most popular sports car, extends its momentum with enhancements for the 2012 model year. Highlights include an improved version of its standard 3.6L direct injection V-6 engine, a new FE4 performance suspension package for SS coupes and several interior and technology improvements, such as a revised instrument panel design, new §teering wheel and rear camera system.
The enhancements arrive in time for Camaro's 45th birthday, which will be celebrated with this summer's release of the 45th Anniversary Special Edition Camaro. Continuing the tradition of Camaro anniversary models, the 45th Anniversary Special Edition carries all the upgrades for 2012, with additional unique design elements, inside and out.
- Aston Martin Racing Annouces New Vantage GT3Aston Martin Racing announces today, the new Vantage GT3 race car based on the V12 Vantage road car, which will be ready for competition in 2012.
The Vantage GT3 will replace the DBRS9, launched in 2006 at Le Mans, and which has since seen 26 chassis built and raced to multiple victories in national and international series across the world most recently winning in the Australian GT at Mount Panorama in October last year and achieving a podium finish at Zolder last week. The new Vantage GT3 joins the Vantage GT2, GT4, DBR9 GT1 and the AMR-One LMP1 to create the largest and most comprehensive range of Aston Martin race cars to date.
- Chrysler Group Introduces Mopar ‘11 ChargerBuilding on the success of last year's Mopar version of the Dodge Challenger, Chrysler Group LLC's Mopar Division will launch a limited-edition Dodge Charger outfitted with select high-performance parts and appearance items straight from the Mopar parts catalog.
'The Mopar ‘11 Charger takes the ‘head- turning' factor up a few notches,' said Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group's service, parts and customer-care brand. 'By adding some of the most distinctive accessories to an already strong performer, we've created a special-edition car for enthusiasts.'
Powered by the legendary 5.7-liter HEMI® with 370 horsepower and 395 lb.-ft. of torque, the specially equipped Charger includes the 'Super Trac Pac' option that pushes the capabilities of the Mopar Charger in acceleration, handling and braking. Already powerful, the 5.7-liter has been tuned to extract the maximum amount of torque from the engine with the inclusion of a specially calibrated engine controller. The controller matches maximum engine power and transmission shifting to the differential for the Mopar '11 Charger.
- MINI at the Auto Shanghai 2011MINI offers the most attractive and diverse model range available worldwide to motorists who seek driving fun, innovative technology and quality at the highest level also in the small car §egmènt. As the world's first and to date only producer of independently developed premium small cars, the British traditional brand is also attracting a steadily growing number of particularly discerning customers on the Chinese automotive market. From 23rd to 28th April 2011, MINI will present to those visiting the Auto Shanghai 2011 not only its further extended product range but also the most exclusive opportunity so far to experience typical MINI driving fun and a spectacular vision for the future of urban mobility. An exceptionally resolute manifestation of premium character is embodied by the MINI INSPIRED BY GOODWOOD, which will be making its world debut at the Auto Shanghai 2011. With the MINI Concept Rocketman, the brand-typical principle of creative use of space in urban road traffic conditions is reinterpreted.
With the market launch of the MINI Countryman and the new MINI family, Chinese car buyers now have ten different models to choose from. The first MINI with four doors and a large tailgate will be available in China in the guise of the MINI Cooper Countryman and the MINI Cooper Countryman S. There is also a choice of two engine variants for the MINI Convertible. Both the MINI and the MINI Clubman are available with three engine variants – MINI One, MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S.
- The Audi Q3 – a premium SUV in compact formThe new Audi Q3 is a premium SÚV in a compact form. This genuine Audi sets standards in all aspects of engineering – from its body through drivetrains and chassis to its state-of-the-art assistance systems and multimedia systems. The Audi Q3 is a versatile companion for everyday life – with an urbane character.
The design of the Q3 is classic Audi: its coupe-like styling is one-of-a-kind among SÚVs and symbolizes its sporty identity. Distinctive lights add a striking touch and the very flat-set rear window emphasize the sporty nature of the Audi Q3.
Thanks to systematic lightweight design, the basic version of the Audi Q3 weighs less than 1,500 kilograms (3,307 lb). Its engine hood and wraparound tailgate, which houses the taillights, are made of aluminum; the safe and solid passenger compartment features a great many ultra-high-strength steels. Its low drag coefficient of just 0.32 also enhances fuel efficiency considerably.
- Lexus LF-Gh Hybrid Concept Explores Design Features That Will Migrate to Future LexusThe Lexus LF-Gh hybrid concept will make its global debut at the 2011 New York International Auto Show. The concept, which sets out to redefine the premium grand touring sedan, will be at the Lexus display through May 1.
'For this concept, Lexus designers studied characteristics that are often considered contradictory and difficult to execute together,' said Kengo Matsumoto, general manager, Lexus Design Division, Toyota Motor Corporation. 'The captivating design of the LF-Gh concept examines the possibility of balancing what are normally opposing qualities, such as style and functionality.'
Working with a clean sheet of paper, Lexus Design Division designers aimed to perfectly blend style, performance, efficiency, and environmental compatibility in a premium, grand touring sedan while trying to leverage advanced, new technologies.
- Lola T70 MKIIBritish race car builder Eric Broadley was one of the first to combine light weight mid-engine chassis with American V-8 power, in the Lola GT that ran at Le Mans in 1963. In 1965 he introduced the T70, which for two years was the world's fastest racing car.
Developed by World champion driver John Surtees, with 500 HP and weighing 1750 pounds, it had blinding acceleration, 0 to 100 mph in less than six seconds with stable, predictable handling.
Surtees won the first Can-Am Championship with a T70 in 1966.
- Mercury Cyclone SpoilerThe Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II was a special model produced to satisfy the booming performance car market of the 1960's. It was more aerodynamic than the fastback coupe and was designed to specifically meet NASCAR's certification requirement and compete against Ford's Torino Talladega.
The Cyclone Spoiler II design featured a stretched, tapered nose and flush-mounted grille. It also had re-rolled rocker panels that allowed the car to be lowered without violating NASCAR's ride-height requirements. Two trim packages were available: the Dan Gurney Special in Wimbledon White and Presidential Blue and the Cale Yarborough Specials (as seen on this car) in Candy Apple Red over Wimbledon White. Both were named after Mercury's best NASCAR drivers of the time.
- The DeSoto AdventurerIn 1957 it would have been hard to imagine that within four years DeSoto would be history, but for the moment times were good. There was an overwhelmingly positive response to the all-new 1957 Forward Look DeSoto and big-car buyers loved the looks, the luxury, and the power.
Introduced two months after the other 1957 DeSotos, the Adventurer featured an exclusive color scheme (either white with gold accents or black with gold accents) and a 345 horsepower/345 cubic-inch Hemi V8 with twin four-barrel carburetors and a full-race camshaft. Even the wheel covers were gold-colored!
Just 1,950 Adventurers were built for 1957, including exactly 300 convertibles.
- The Hesketh 308Traditions, like habits, are tough to break. Formula One, since its official origins in 1950, is as much a traditional series as it is on the cutting edge. In Formula One, the drivers of the past are constantly referenced in the present as driving styles and events remind of the series' rich past. In the midst of its transition into the global, corporate model, there were some that held to the tradition of Formula One and longed for days gone by of flamboyant drivers and national pride. Lord Alexander Hesketh was one of those romantics that held sternly to the traditions that had made Formula One what it was.
Hesketh was only in his early twenties when he started Hesketh Racing. Still full of dreams and memories of Formula One's early days with such larger-than-life names as Fangio, Moss and Ascari, Hesketh believed the names and the nations should carry on in the memory of the fan more than corporate sponsor.
- The Chevrolet Miray ConceptChevrolet introduced the Mi-ray concept at the 2011 Seoul Motor Show. The roadster celebrates Chevrolet's 100-year heritage of designing expressive vehicles in the brand's newest market.
According to GM Korea President and CEO Mike Arcamone, ''Mi-ray' is Korean for 'future.' As GM rolls out Chevrolet across Korea, the Mi-ray concept offers an exploration of future possibilities for the brand. It strengthens the bond between car and driver, creating a fresh look at what sports cars of the future might be.'
The Mi-ray was developed at the GM Advanced Design Studio in Seoul. Combining cutting-edge hybrid propulsion technology and advanced styling, it balances iconic Chevrolet design cues with a future design vision as Chevrolet celebrates its centennial in 2011.
The Mi-ray pays tribute to Chevrolet's sports car heritage. It is small and open like the 1963 Monza SS, and light and purposeful like the 1962 Corvair Super Spyder. Its aerodynamic fuselage is reminiscent of modern jet fighters.
- Jeep Wrangler Blue CrushInspired by the King of the Hammers race in the deserts of California, the Jeep Wrangler Blue Crush combines high-speed off-road racing and rock-crawling capability. At the core is a Mopar 426 cubic-inch HEMI with 540 horsepower. The all-aluminum V-8 is paired with a 545RFE performance transmission and a gear-drive transfercase.
To help the suspension keep up with the engine, Mopar added a high-speed, performance off-road suspension system with internal bypass shocks, front stabilizer bar and full hydro-§teering. Gigantic 39-inch tires are turned with the help of custom driveshafts. The Wrangler Blue Crush also features a baja-style full cage, race seats, fuel cell and short aluminum bumpers.
- Jeep Wrangler JK-8 IndependenceTaking cues from the popular Jeep Scrambler CJ-8 from the 1980's, Mopar has designed a kit for do-it-yourselfers that converts a Jeep Wrangler Únlimited into a pickup truck. The bed length is 50 inches and the width between wheel wells is 44 inches. The team created body panels to cover the second-row entrance and removed all of the interior parts behind the front seats—transforming the vehicle into a two-seater with just enough room for gear inside, and a pickup style bed to be used for outside cargo.
The JK-8 drivetrain is fitted with a Mopar/Dynatrac ProRock 44 front axle and stock Dana 44 rear axle, both spun with 4.88 gears. Linking the axles to the frame is a 4.5-inch long-arm suspension kit and 37-inch BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 tires make the connection to the ground. A fresh coat of yellow paint and Mopar's off-road bumpers for the front and rear were utilized along with a new fuel door and slush mats.
- 2012 Chevrolet Centennial Edition Corvette Celebrates Racing HeritageChevrolet, founded by a racing pioneer 100 years ago, celebrates its performance heritage with the 2012 Chevrolet Centennial Edition Corvette, which features a sleek black color scheme, unique design elements and Corvette's trademark sports car technology.
The 2012 Centennial Edition package will be available on all Corvette models – including Grand Sport, Z06 and ZR1 – starting this summer.
The special package was inspired by Chevrolet's racing-bred foundation, which continues with Corvette's international racing excellence and production sports car prominence.
'Racing and performance are the roots of Chevrolet, a tradition carried forward today by Corvette,' said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. 'The Centennial Edition not only celebrates our 100 years, it once again pushes Corvette forward for a new generation of sports car fans.'
- Project Kahn's Porsche PanameraProject Kahn's discerning customers have often pushed Afzal Kahn to produce a Porsche which is not only visually appealing but sportier and aggressive. And the result of Afzal Kahn's flirtation with the Porsche Panamera offers an overwhelming driving experience designed to make you want to reach out and drive this absolutely stunning vehicle. Packed with a whole new breadth of excitement, with every external modification serving to coax greater performance – Afzal Kahn has taken the Porsche Panamera to a whole new dimension.
So comfortable, it is almost indescribable, yet the Project Kahn Panamera's extended silky outline is immediately recognizable with an outstanding styling package consisting of a Kahn lowering suspension system, slightly modified rear bumper, bullet side vents, sports exhaust and unique RS-600 wheels. Another unique feature of this model is the amazing interior which has been upgraded to a magnificent level with A. Kahn Design's customary blend of leather, carbon and wood proving to be a real sensation!
- World premiere at the New York Auto ShowThe Mercedes-Benz Concept A-Class will make its debut at both the 2011 New York and Shanghai Auto Shows later this month. Looking as though it might have come from another planet, the Concept A-Class features an expressive and athletic design. Technical highlights include a new turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine, a dual clutch transmission and a radar-based collision warning system with adaptive Brake Assist.
The aggressive appearance of the Concept A-Class, with its long hood, low silhouette and slim side windows, is given depth by the interplay between lines and surfaces. Inspiration was drawn from the wind and the waves, as well as aviation engineering.
The Concept A-Class previews a new compact class era at Mercedes-Benz. This front-wheel drive model is powered by a four-cylinder gasoline engine from the new M270 series. It was designed for transverse installation and thanks to direct injection and turbocharging, offers high performance together with minimal emissions and fuel consumption. The Concept A-Class is equipped with the twoliter variant of the new engine, developing 210 hp. This BlueEFFICIENCY engine is mated to the new Mercedes-Benz dual clutch transmission.
- Don Nichols' ShadowSome people can't have people whispering behind their backs; Don Nichols took advantage of it. Rumors abound concerning the man's life, his apparent involvement in Military Intelligence and his doings in the Far-East. Though much of Nichols' life was, and remains, a mystery, one thing was for certain—his cars and team is well known.
Upon leaving the military, Nichols became a dealer for Firestone and Goodyear in the Far-East and then start Advanced Vehicle Systems Inc. This was the beginning of 'Shadow'. Using the rumors and mystery to great effect, Nichols chose the name 'Shadow' and would adorn his cars with the figured of a cloaked man, or sometimes, just a pair of eyes.
Shadow had managed to forge a good life in Can-Am racing. The team, and the cars, came online; unfortunately, when it was too late. Can-Am racing was in decline. Nichols then announced he would enter Shadow in Formula One
- Koenigsegg CCR Evolution by edo competitionWhen it comes to high quality modifications for supercars, edo competition Motorsport GmbH is one of the most established names in the business. Regardless of make and model, the edo team is always lòòking for ways to refine and optimize. That's also why the owner of a Koenigsegg came to us. Not entirely happy with the power of his Swedish exotic and looking to improve the drivability as well as the appearance, he tasked edo competition with the job of making it happen.
Since the V8 engine is being force-fed by twin superchargers, the main focus was on the setup of the two Rotrex units. With assistance from the manufacturer the drive ratio was modified and the ECÚ was remapped to accommodate the hardware changes. The aim was to increase the power output while maintaining a broad torque curve over the whole rev range. With the new drive ratio the engine hits its torque peak earlier and puts out up to 891 horsepower, depending on the level of tune. In order to ensure long term reliability of the superchargers, the engine redline was lowered to 7,200 rpm.
- The Penske PC4Roger Penske's first full-season assault into Formula One ended in tragedy. Throughout the years prior to his first assault on Formula One in 1975, Penske, and Mark Donohue, had achieved a great deal of success. Formula One would end up being more-costly. Deaths were still a very real part of Formula One, even during the middle-1970s. Undaunted by the tragedy, Penske would return in 1976 with a new sponsor and a new car.
Penske had taken part in the 1975 season with his new PC1 chassis. The car had been introduced in the very later-part of the 1974 season and had made some strides forward, but was still struggling for reliability and overall pace. Throughout 1975, the PC1 barely ran any better than it had at the end of the season before. Donohue's 5th place at Sweden was the best the car would achieve. As a result of its struggles, the PC1 would be abandoned for a March 751. It would be this chassis in which Donohue would crash; and later die due to injuries suffered.
Penske would not be undone by the tragedy. He would return with a new car designed by Geoff Ferris at Penske's shop in Poole, England, the new car was the PC3. Penske entered the car in the final race of the 1975 season with John Watson on board. The PC3 bore a striking resemblance to the March 751. Troubles during practice would force Watson to have to use the PC1 in the race. He would struggle throughout the race.
- Chevrolet Series 150In the mid-1950's, NASCAR-style stock car racing was growing in popularity and Chevrolet was well positioned to succeed in the rough and tumble sport. With the introduction of its all-new 1955 model, Chevrolet had a lot going for it: totally new styling to go with its first modern-era V-8, the 265 CID small block V-8. This engine, which won its first Super Speedway race at Darlington, South Carolina in 1955, has gone on to win more NASCAR races than any other.
This re-creation of Herb Thomas' Darlington-winning car is faithful to its predecessor, based on a 150 series utility sedan (no back seat) and equipped with the 'PowerPak' small block V-8 with dual exhausts, a four barrel carburetor and 'three on the tree' manual transmission.
- The Siata 208 CSSiata (Societa Italiana Applicazioni Trasformazioni Automobilistiche) specialized in aftermarket products for Fiats, the company used its knowledge and expertise to launch the first Siata-badged, Fiat-based car in 1948. Around sixty chassis were built by Siata in 1953 and 1954, and they received at least half a dozen body type variations, the most common being the 208S.
This Berlinetta is one of only nine examples that received coachwork by Balbo.
- The World's Fastest PickupFollowing the BMW M3 Coupé, BMW M3 Convertible and BMW M3 Sedan, a fourth body variant of this globally successful high-performance sports car is about to cause a stir. Únder the strictest secrecy, the world's first high-performance pickup has been created at the BMW M GmbH development centre. The sportiest example by far in this vehicle category, the BMW M3 Pickup will fire the imaginations of all motorists with a deep appreciation of top performance matched by a keen practical bent. 309 kW/420 hp under the bonnet and a rear-axle load capacity of up to 450 kilos take the hallmark BMW M relationship between race-oriented driving pleasure and everyday utility to an entirely new level. This unique vehicle has already completed extensive test and set-up drives on the Nürburgring's Nordschleife in advance of its global unveiling on 1 April 2011.