2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 |
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec |
- RM Auctions Lifts Gavel On Charlie Thomas' Texas-Sized Collection of AutomobilesRM Auctions, the world's largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, is delighted to announce the addition of a new single-vendor sale to its ever-expanding 2012 calendar—The Charlie Thomas Collection, to be held October 20 in Dallas, Texas.
Well-known by automotive enthusiasts, the impressive Charlie Thomas Collection is the product of two decades of careful and dedicated acquisition by prominent Texas businessman and lifelong auto enthusiast, Charlie Thomas. A prolific car dealer and former owner of the Houston Rockets basketball team, Thomas operated more than 40 car dealerships, one of the largest dealership networks in the United States. In addition, Thomas' love for the automobile has seen him build an incredible 'Texas-sized' collection of American motor cars spanning the spectrum of the market, from American Classics to early flatheads, '50s convertibles, and '60s muscle and sports cars. From Fords to Chevrolets, Chryslers and Pontiacs, every marque is well represented, providing a diverse range of ownership opportunities for savvy collectors.
- The Beetle Fender Edition: Two Icons, One StatementFirst seen as a concept car at the Frankfurt International Auto Show in 2011, the production version of the Beetle Fender Edition makes its world debut at the Leipzig International Auto Show. Volkswagen's iconic coupe is not only fitted wîth the outstanding premium Fender© sound system, but also visually demonstrates its affiliation wîth the American musical icon.
The Beetle Fender Edition stands out wîth unique interior and exterior styling. Its distinctively painted dashboard features the quintessential sunburst color of Fender guitars, and the vehicle's interior is accented wîth color-contrasting seams that complement the dash's colors. Beetle Fender Edition vehicles equipped wîth the 200-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder TSI© engine will receive seats wîth exclusive fabric inserts. Outside, all Beetle Fender Edition vehicles are painted in Deep Black Metallic and also feature brushed chrome exterior mirrors, 18-inch 'Disc' aluminum-alloy wheels, Bi-Xenon headlights, and the famous Fender logo.
- The new Mercedes-Benz GL 63 AMG - First class: the perfect blend of style and performanceLuxury and refinement, striking design, maximum safety and the dynamism so typical of the brand: the new high-performance SÚV, the GL 63 AMG, combines compelling technologies wîth an extensive range of standard equipment and pure ride comfort for up to seven passengers. Effortless superiority comes courtesy of the AMG 5.5-litre V8 biturbo engine, which develops a peak output of 410 kW (557 hp) and maximum torque of 760 Nm. The AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension wîth ACTIVE CÚRVE SYSTEM roll stabilisation provides high-level driving dynamics and the comfort one would expect from the Mercedes brand.
Ola Kallenius, Chairman of Mercedes-AMG GmbH: 'The new GL 63 AMG completes our performance-oriented all-wheel drive offering. In addition to the ML 63 AMG all-rounder and the recently unveiled, characterful G 63 AMG and G 65 AMG models, the GL 63 AMG places particular emphasis on dynamism and style. Combining the first-rate comfort of the S-Class wîth the performance of an AMG sports saloon, the GL 63 AMG is unique in its §egmènt.
- Audi, Spielberg, the DTM and the QueenDTM visits Austria at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg
'Home round' for Timo Scheider and Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich
Race start moved forward to 13:30 due to the British Queen
Ingolstadt/Spielberg, May 25, 2012 – Bathurst, Sebring, Nogaro, Spa, Nürburgring – the 201
- The Allard J2XThe Allard J2, J2X and JR racing variants, with their high-powered American V-8 engines were very significant factors in American and road racing in the early 1950's on both coasts.
This Allard J2X was delivered to Alan Patterson in July of 1952. The car is still owned by Mr. Patterson and continues to be exercised regularly at venues such as the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, and (as of a few weeks ago) the Monaco Grand Prix.
- America's Favorite Sports Cars to Pace Belle Isle Grand Prix•Camaro and Corvette setting sales pace for their segments
•Forza Motorsport 4 fans compile 63 million miles in Corvettes and Camaros
America's favorite sports cars will lead the return of motorsports to Detroit this weekend, when the Camaro ZL1 paces the Chevrolet Grand-Am 200 at Belle Isle on
- Mopar Ram Runner Wins Truck Duel in the DesertLeaves Ford SVT Raptor in the Dust
Mopar Ram Runner 33 seconds faster than Ford SVT Raptor on punishing 4.73-mile loop
PickupTrucks.com declares Mopar Ram Runner the winner
May 30, 2012 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - This showdown was at sunrise.
The Mopar Ram Runner and the Ford SVT Rapto
- Bob Lutz Named as 2012 Honorary Chairman At Hilton Head Island ConcoursThe 11th Annual Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d'Elegance, one of the final Concours events on the 2012 calendar, October 26 – November 4, will include participation from Bob Lutz, former Vice Chairman of General Motors and author of Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: the battle for
- RM Auctions Lifts Gavel On Charlie Thomas' Texas-Sized Collection of Automobiles• RM Auctions further expands its 2012 calendar with the addition of 'The Charlie Thomas Collection', a single-day, single-vendor sale to be held in Dallas, Texas, October 20, 2012
• Auction features a superb assortment of more than 150 collector cars, all offered without reserve
• Sale further co
- Ferrari: An On-Line Auction For The Families Of The Victims Of The EarthquakesFerrari will open an international on-line auction to raise funds for the families of the victims of the earthquakes that have rocked the Emilia-Romagna region since the 20th of May.
In the days leading up to the auction next week, www.ferraristore.com will dedicate a section to this important
- Nissan Power For A Quarter Of Le Mans 24 Hours FieldJapanese manufacturer's engines will dominate round-the-clock classic, powering more than half of all LMP2 cars plus the experimental Nissan DeltaWing
· Nissan engines used by 25% of the field, more than any other manufacturer
· Experimental Nissan DeltaWing - which aims to use half
- Boss Laguna Seca: Best of the BestProving to be exceptional in the luxury world, the Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca has been included in Robb Report magazine as a '2012 Best of the Best Coupes and GTs' honoree. For 24 consecutive years, Robb Report has released its choices for the best purchases of the affluent lifestyle in sever
- The Ferrari Challenge Europa returns to MugelloThis weekend the European series of the Ferrari Challenge sets up camp at the Mugello circuit for round 3.
The Tuscan circuit, owned by Ferrari since 1988, is considered one of the most beautiful in Europe and is now a regular date on the Ferrari one-make series calendar, and last November it hos
- PERODUA LAUNCH MYVI WOLFRACE DESIGN LIMITED EDITIONPerodua are pleased to launch the exciting new Myvi Wolfrace Design following the introduction of the concept late last year.
This exclusive new limited edition, of which only ten units will be built, has been created as a result of a collaboration between Perodua and Wolfrace Wheels (ÚK) Limited to design a vehicle that maintains Perodua's great value for money combined wîth the style and appeal of the award winning* Wolfrace brand. The final design and specification allows Perodua to offer the Myvi Wolfrace Design at a fantastic price whilst maintaining the key Wolfrace features that were seen on the concept vehicle.
- Scuderia Lancia: 1954 Formula One SeasonThere are many constants in life but one of those that has existed since the dawn of mankind has been the child's rebellion against the parents' wishes. In the case of Lancia, Gianni Lancia's rebellion would add a whole new dimension to the company founded in 1906. And it would give Formula One one of the shortest-lived teams with one of the most enduring chassis.
Founded in 1906 by Vincenzo Lancia and Claudio Fogolin, the Turin-based company had its roots in auto racing as both men had spent some time as racing drivers for Fiat. Despite his racing experience, Lancia would not focus on motor racing, but instead, would focus on building production automobiles. Nonetheless, motor racing was in the family's blood.
Vincenzo would enjoy about thirty years at the head of his company before he would suffer a heart attack. The heart attack would be sudden and fierce resulting in Vicenzo losing his life at the age of fifty-five. Control of the company would pass to Vincenzo's wife and son Gianni.
- The new Peugeot 301 A compact four door saloon for the international marketThe new Peugeot 301 is a clear illustration of the Marque's internationalisation and its desire to conquer new markets. It has been specifically designed to appeal to a wide customer base, attracted by the four door saloons which are both accessible and offer status.
The Peugeot 301, which in time will become one of the Marque's best selling vehicles worldwide, is positioned at the heart of its §egmènt. It offers modern styling and features, carefully adapted to fulfil the expectations of the different markets in which it will be sold.
- Fisker Automotive Issues Inaugural Business UpdateOver $100 million revenue generated in four months to April 30
•·1000 vehicles delivered to customers since launch
•·Private equity funding exceeds $170 million in 2012
•·Total funding passes $1 billion milestone
•·New Atlantic model unveiled in New York
•·Record sales in Netherlands signal Eur
- Monaco Grand Prix: RaceNico Rosberg converted second place on the grid into a second-place finish this afternoon at the 70th Monaco Grand Prix. Michael Schumacher retired from seventh position following a fuel pressure problem.
• Nico ran a one-stop strategy from P2 on the grid, starting on super-soft tyres and changing
- Chevy Performance Rolls with Hot Rod Magazine Power TourWeeklong drive kicks off with unprecedented access to GM's Milford Proving Ground
Road trip! It's that time of year again for the annual automotive pilgrimage known as the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour® and Chevrolet Performance helps get it started on Saturday, June 2, at General Motors' Mi
- Formula One - Monaco GP Race ReportThe Lotus F1 Team came away disappointed from Monaco on Sunday after securing just two world championship points courtesy of a ninth place finish for Kimi Raikkönen , despite an encouraging qualifying session on Saturday.
Although Raikkönen struggled to get his tyres up to temperature on his way
- SUBARU PUMA RALLYCROSS TEAM BATTLES IN GLOBAL RALLYCROSS DEBUT AT CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAYThe 2012 Global RallyCross Championship (GRC) kicked off this weekend within the immense confines of the Charlotte Motor Speedway and the Subaru PUMA Rallycross Team was there to do battle amongst a total of 17 participating Rallycross teams. Seasoned team drivers Dave Mirra and Sverre Isachsen, as
- A festival of beauty on Lake ComoLast weekend, Cernobbio on Lake Como once again became a magnet for car and motorcycle fans from far and wide. On display at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este were a range of classic automobiles and cutting-edge concept cars that thrilled the crowds who had flocked there.
Visitors were already making a beeline for the grounds of Villa Erba on
Saturday to witness the motorcycle Concorso. At the end of another marvellous weekend on the shores of Lake Como, the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este proclaimed its worthy winners on Sunday. The judges and the public were of one mind: the Alfa Romeo, 6C 1750 GS, 6th Series Coupé, Figoni of 1933 claimed the Trofeo BMW Group presented by the jury, and thus the Best of Show accolade, while also securing the public prize, the Coppa d'Oro Villa d'Este. In the Concept Cars and Prototypes category, meanwhile, the winner was the Alfa Romeo 4C.
- Another Ferrari Classiche restoration attracts the crowds at Villa d'EsteAnother important restoration by the Ferrari Classiche department debuted at the prestigious Villa d'Este Concorso d'Eleganza this weekend on the shores of Lake Como. The car, a 1952 212 Inter Cabriolet (chassis number 0235EU), is historically significant as it is only the second car ever to have been built by Pinin Farina who went on to become Ferrari's coachbuilder of choice.
The 212 Inter Cabriolet was first shown to the public at the Paris Motor Show in November 1952 before being sold to its first owner, Tony Parravano of Rome, by the then US importer, Chinetti Motors.
- Monaco GP - Alonso on top and Massa rebornAnother podium, the third of the season for Fernando Alonso and Scuderia Ferrari. The Spaniard finished the Grand Prix in third place while his team-mate Felipe Massa came home sixth. With this result, Fernando heads the Drivers' classification, while Felipe moves up to fourteenth. In the classification for Constructors, the Scuderia is now third, equal on points with Lotus. Both Ferrari men made a single pit stop, Fernando on lap 30 and Felipe on lap 31, switching from the Pirelli Supersofts used in the first stint to the Softs on which they ended the race. Fernando's podium finish brings the Ferrari total at this race to 48.
- World's Greatest Supercars Battle For New Fastest Lap At Pageant of PowerSome of the finest modern supercars, including models from Bugatti, Lamborghini, Bentley, Aston Martin and Maserati, will take to the track at the 2012 Cholmondeley Pageant of Power (15-17 June; www.cpop.co.uk) as the event organisers confirm the introduction this year of a new timed category, the Supercar class.
Entrants to the new class include the dramatic Lamborghini Aventador, the iconic Porsche 911 Carrera S and the British-built BAC Mono, an outlandish single-seater road car. With a number of other famous supercars battling for the lap record over the course of the three-day event, visitors can expect to witness some of the most exciting high-octane action ever to take place at the Pageant of Power.
- HEXIS RACING CLAIMS MOMENTOUS DOUBLE VICTORIES WITH NEW 12C GT3McLaren GT customer team Hexis Racing claimed first victories for the MP4-12C GT3 this weekend with back-to-back wins at the Circuito de Navarra in Spain. A dominant performance by reigning FIA GT1 World champions Hexis in qualifying and the championship race places the French team in second positi
- Buyers in abundance for another strong sale at BrooklandsAmidst some speculative recent market results, the heat was on Historics, but with Brooklands bathed in sunshine, the classic and sports car auctioneer again delivered another strong sale. In total 60 of 103 vehicles were seen away for a sale ratio of 58% and a final sale figure of £1,159,070.
- Another Ferrari Classiche restoration attracts the crowds at Villa d'EsteAnother important restoration by the Ferrari Classiche department debuted at the prestigious Villa d'Este Concorso d'Eleganza this weekend on the shores of Lake Como. The car, a 1952 212 Inter Cabriolet (chassis number 0235EU), is historically significant as it is only the second car ever to have be
- A working Monday in MaranelloThe two F2012s that took part in the Monaco Grand Prix did not take long to get back home. Chassis 294 and 295, used by Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso respectively, were already in the Car Assembly area this morning, to undergo the usual post-race rebuild. In fact, there's no time to lose given th
- Monaco GP - Alonso on top and Massa rebornAnother podium, the third of the season for Fernando Alonso and Scuderia Ferrari. The Spaniard finished the Grand Prix in third place while his team-mate Felipe Massa came home sixth. With this result, Fernando heads the Drivers' classification, while Felipe moves up to fourteenth. In the classifica
- A concept car to celebrate 50 years of the Alpine A110To mark the 50th anniversary of the iconic Berlinette, Design Yann Jarsalle and Concept and Show Car Director Axel Breun reinterpreted the original design cues to include the new Renault design language introduced by Laurens van den Acker wîth the DeZir concept car, and which will soon be rolled out in the company's future models. The new front-end look, wîth the upright, confident diamond, has been adapted for this very low and wide car. The Renault Alpine A110-50 is a car of today; a bold embodiment of Renault's passion for motorsport.
'For everybody on the team, it was a dream come true to work on an Alpine concept car. We wanted to put this car firmly in the modern day, while resonating wîth its heritage' - Laurens van den Acker, Senior VP, Corporate Design.
- New stylistic notes for Ferrari: the SP12 EC is born. EC like Eric ClaptonExclusively in the Ferrari Magazine the great English musician talks about his passion for Ferrari and his one-off model.
For a Ferrari enthusiast and great musician like Eric Clapton a one-off car just had to be produced. Designed by the Centro Stile Ferrari in collaboration wîth Pininfarina and the engineers from Maranello, the SP12 EC was created as homage to Clapton's career and his long lasting experience as a Ferrari owner.
The world-famous guitar player has been attached to one particular Ferrari model: the 512 BB, of which he has owned three over the years. So his desire was to drive a car inspired by this model, wîth influences from the multi-award winning 458 Italia. Exclusively in the latest issue of the Ferrari Official Magazine Eric Clapton talks about his passion and how the idea of a one-off car was born.
- The BMW Zagato CoupéThe Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este will once again host a spectacular world premiere in 2012 and, in so doing, build on its tradition as a gathering of the industry's leading coachbuilders. The premiere in question will see the time-honoured Milanese coachbuilder Zagato team up wîth BMW to unveil the result of a unique collaboration: the BMW Zagato Coupé.
Zagato has worked in close collaboration to create an exciting and emotionally charged coupé in the finest tradition of automotive workmanship. The BMW Zagato Coupé embodies the unbridled fascination of cars and fuses the design DNA of the two companies into a fresh and desinctive whole. This one-off model is the product of many hours of skilled hand-craftsmanship and breathes new life into the tradition of coachbuilding.
- The new BMW 7 Series: Sporting poise and luxurious comfort in perfect harmonyThe new BMW 7 Series is set to reinforce its position as the most innovative sedan in the luxury §egmènt. The flagship model series of the BMW fleet embodies sporting elegance, refined powertrain technology and luxurious comfort in equal measure. And now, by making a clear step up in terms of product substance, the Sedan is set to underline its leadership. New LED headlights, an upgraded interior wîth optimised soundproofing, markedly improved ride comfort, a comprehensive selection of optional equipment and state-of-the-art safety technology combine to create an in-car experience from the top drawer. A line-up of either new or optimised drive systems, including the world's most powerful six-cylinder in-line diesel engine and the second-generation BMW ActiveHybrid 7, set new performance and efficiency benchmarks.
- Passion in porcelain for the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d' EsteWhat form does passion take? How does one combine automotive tradition and a vision into a single sculpture? The answer to this question will be provided at Lake Como between 25 and 27 May by two partners commissioned by the BMW Group with the design of the new trophies for the Concorso d'Eleganza
- Alfa Romeo Tipo 33/3 Sports RacerIn the immediate post-World War II era, Alfa Romeo was one of the strongest manufacturers in motor racing. Then, in the late 1940s and during the first couple of years in the 1950s, Alfa Romeo was absolutely dominant. In grand prix racing, its 158 and 159 Alfetta was certainly the car to have in the new Formula One World Championship. However, after 1951, Alfa Romeo would withdraw from racing to focus on road car production. The hiatus wouldn't last all that long though, and soon, Alfa Romeo would be dominating its class in endurance sports car racing.
After leaving motor racing with its withdrawal from the Formula One World Championship at the end of the 1951 season, Alfa Romeo would be absent from motor racing until 1963 when it returned with its TZ1 model with its Zagato-designed body. The process of Alfa's return to motor racing had been rather slow and very intentional. And it would pay off. By 1968, just five years after returning to motor racing, Alfa Romeo would sweep its class at Le Mans. The car that would achieve the feet would be the Alfa Romeo Tipo 33/2.
- Bugatti Type 39In 1925, Bugatti produced five factory Type 39 models, each powered by a 1500cc, eight-cylinder roller bearing crankshaft engine. The cars had identical chassis and engines and wore beaded edged tires on aluminum wheels.
This example, chassis number 4604, is the sole surviving example in original condition. 4604, along with the four other Type 39 factory models, were raced at the French Touring Grand Prix at Montlhéry in July of 1925. At the time it wore a temporary touring body to comply with race requirements. It was driven by 'Meo' Constantini to an impressive first place finish. Out of the remaining four Bugatti Type 39s, only one finished the race. After the race, all five cars were returned to the standard Grand Prix body configurations and entered in the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in September of 1925. 4604 finished third overall, and first among the Type 39s. The Type 39 driven by Jules Goux had lead most of the race, but was forced to retire close to the finish due to a leaking fuel tank.
- Daimler Benz AG: 1954 Formula One SeasonRecognizing his short-comings as a racing driver, Alfred Neubauer would invent the role of the team manager. Besides introducing such innovations as pit boards and signals to let the driver know their position in a race and the tactics associated with running a race, Neubauer was also very committed to the drilling and training of his pit crews to gain an advantage during pit stops. This, and the intense rivalry between the Silver Arrows of Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union, would lead to a Silver Arrows winning each edition of the European Grand Prix Championship after 1932. This incredible success would make it without question that when Mercedes-Benz made the move to come back to grand prix racing that the formidable presence of Neubauer would be right there with them.
- Maserati 6CMBy the mid 1930s the Maserati Grand Prix cars were facing stiff competition from not only its Italian rival Alfa Romeo, but two state-supported juggernauts from Germany, Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union. Maserati opted to focus on the small displacement Voiturette class in which they had had much success with the 4CM and 6CM models. The 1494cc supercharged six-cylinder engine produces 182 bhp at 6800 RPM.
- Audi factory drivers look into the future with a digital rear-view mirrorAdvanced AMOLED technology provides clear vision
Significant contribution to active safety in the Audi R18
Three more weeks to go before the start of the Le Mans 24 Hours
Ingolstadt, May 24, 2012 – When the Audi factory drivers tackle the Le Mans 24 Hours (J
- New driving safety training courses from Mercedes-Benz and AMG: Helping to ensure a safe, confident and enjoyable driving experienceMercedes-Benz is starting the 2012/2013 season with a new wide-ranging programme of driving safety training events designed to appeal to all types of drivers. Courses for young people, beginners, advanced and even expert drivers are being offered at 14 locations throughout Germany using vehicles gen
- Volvo Car Corporation's pedestrian airbag: here's how it worksSeven sensors, advanced technology and an airbag that deploys at lightning speed in the windscreen area. These are some of the main elements of Pedestrian Airbag Technology - the system that makes Volvo Car Corporation with its all-new V40 the first manufacturer with a pedestrian airbag.
- GM to Expand Design Operations in KoreaGeneral Motors announced today that it will expand its global design center in Incheon, Korea, doubling the size of the facility to include new modeling studios, display spaces and areas for creative work.
By 2013, the enhanced design center will provide a state-of-the-art work environment for m
- Ford Model A And Vintage Trailer Haul Fishing Gear and Nostalgia to Auctions America By RM's 2012 Auburn Fall Auction• Auctions America by RM Auburn Fall Auction will offer 1931 Ford Model A with 20-foot vintage camper
• Unusual travel rig has been restored to period perfection with correct fishing gear and cookware
• Auburn Fall Auction will offer nearly 1,500 vehicles Aug. 30 through Sept. 2
- Great success for the Jaguar Heritage Racing team in the 2012 Mille MigliaThe six-car strong Jaguar Heritage Racing team arrived back in Brescia in the early hours of Sunday morning to successfully complete the 2012 Mille Miglia. The team's entries comprised three C-types, two XK 120s and a Mk VII saloon, each crew and car finishing the challenging Brescia-Rome-Brescia ro
- Adrian Newey Joins Driver Line-Up For SilverstoneFormula One technical guru to compete in second round of Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo
Adrian Newey, the Formula One technical guru, will be the star attraction at the second roundof the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo at his home track of Silverstone on 2-3 June.
- Introducing the Red Bull Racing Spy AppRed Bull Racing will be bringing a range of F1 knowledge, driver facts and insider information direct to your phone with an app launched to coincide with the most prestigious Grand Prix of the year, Monaco.
If you want to know what's going on in the Paddock, in the pitlane or on the track, then
- Porsche Motorsport North America to Relocate to Future Porsche Experience Center Los AngelesMove will result in better work environment, adds further spice to an exciting venue
Atlanta, May 23, 2012 – Today, Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) announced that Porsche Motorsport North America (PMNA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Porsche AG and the sole sales and service provid
- Mecum Auctions Joins Panther DRR for the 96th Running of the Indianapolis 500The Mecum Auction Company is excited to announce that it will join Panther DRR as the team's primary sponsor for the No. 22 Panther DRR machine piloted by Oriol Servia for the 96th Running of the Indianapolis 500.
'The Mecum family has been involved in racing for over 40 years, and the Indy 500
- Gooding & Company's Annual Pebble Beach AuctionGooding & Company, the acclaimed auction house celebrated for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, will host its annual Pebble Beach Auctions on August 18th & 19th in association with the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Once again, Gooding & Company is poised to present an outstanding array of blue chip and concours-quality collector cars on its record-setting stage, including the elegant 1955 Maserati A6G/54 Frua Berlinetta owned by Grammy Award-winning recording artist Jay Kay, lead singer of Jamiroquai, an outstanding 1966 Shelby 427 Cobra and Prince Louis Napoleon's 1938 Bugatti Type 57C Stelvio. All three of these early consignments represent what today's savviest collectors desire most: authenticity, provenance, beauty and history.
- Mecum Auctions Offers Lotus Type 56 Turbine Indy Racecar At MontereyMecum Auctions unveiled an iconic piece of Indy 500 history owned by racing legend 'The King' Richard Petty during their auction at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, Indiana. The STP-sponsored Lotus Type 56/3 Turbine Indy racecar, driven by Graham Hill at the 1968 Indianapolis 500-Mile Race was revealed in a glass case and will remain on display all week before heading to auction during Mecum at Monterey, California in August.
- Monaco, 21 May 1950: where it all beganIt all began exactly on this day, the 21st May. Sixty two years ago, on this very same circuit that wends its way through the Principality of Monaco and which this coming Sunday, hosts the sixth round of the 2012 World Championship, Scuderia Ferrari made its debut in the Formula 1 World Championship. There were four Ferraris entered in the race: two 125 F1s, in the GP49 evolution, entrusted to the Italians Alberto Ascari and Luigi Villoresi and two 125 F1s for France's Raymond Sommer and the British driver Paul Whitehead. At the end of the race, Ascari had managed to finish second behind Fangio's Alfa Romeo, while Sommer was fourth; Villoresi had to retire on lap 63 while Whitehead had failed to start, because of an engine problem.
- Vehicles From The Ruger Automobile Collection At RM's St. John's SaleRM Auctions, the official auction house of the Concours d'Elegance of America, returns to the Inn at St. John's in Plymouth, July 28 for its well-established Michigan sale. A featured attraction of the Concours weekend and a longstanding summer tradition for collectors, the annual auction – formerly known as the Meadow Brook sale – boasts a reputation for including outstanding American and European classics.
- Monaco, 21 May 1950: where it all beganIt all began exactly on this day, the 21st May. Sixty two years ago, on this very same circuit that wends its way through the Principality of Monaco and which this coming Sunday, hosts the sixth round of the 2012 World Championship, Scuderia Ferrari made its debut in the Formula 1 World Championship
- Monaco GP – A challenge for seventy yearsAt the previous round of the championship in Barcelona, where Fernando Alonso produced yet another fantastic drive in his Ferrari F2012 to take second place, the majority of teams had introduced new packages to coincide with the first European race of the season. If some elements had failed to deliv
- Michael Schumacher, Nico Rosberg and the German national football team drive the new A-Class• Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher as guests of national squad in Tourrettes, France
• Drive together in the A-class delights drivers and players
• Formula 1 stars show their skills with the ball
There was an adrenaline rush today at the German national football team's training camp in Tour
- 2013 NASCAR Fusion Paint Scheme RevealedAfter unveiling the 2013 NASCAR Fusion at Charlotte Motor Speedway in January, Ford Racing is using the annual Memorial Day Weekend race at the track to highlight the first version of its new car in a team paint scheme.
Fans will be able to get their first look at the 2013 Motorcraft Ford Fusion
- GT Academy Program on a High at NürburgringAs the number of European entries into the Nissan PlayStation GT Academy 2012 competition soared to well over 500,000 this weekend, two previous Academy graduates were demonstrating why the gamer-to-racer competition continues to grow in scale and reputation.
Both Lucas Ordoñez, the first ever w
- 2012 Monaco Grand Prix: PreviewSebastian Vettel
'It's something special to race in Monaco. It's tight and there's no room for error. It's rough and, as it's a street circuit, the road surface is uneven so you get shaken in the car and there is no room for mistakes. You have to push yourself and the car to the limit to be
- Aquilante And Spaude 'Storm' New Jersey Track, Subaru Team Wins on Home Turf.- Subaru WRX STI Climbs From 45th to First in 45 Laps. -
The Subaru Road Racing Team (SRRT) drivers Andrew Aquilante and Bret Spaude won round four of the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge (CTSCC) race on Saturday at New Jersey Motorsports Park near Millville, N.J.
- Gooding & Company's Annual Pebble Beach AuctionsGooding & Company, the acclaimed auction house celebrated for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, will host its annual Pebble Beach Auctions on August 18th & 19th in association with the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Once again, Gooding & Company is poi
- Mecum Auctions to Offer Iconic L&M Porsche 917/10 at MontereyMecum Auctions announced today they will present car collectors with a unique opportunity to own a piece of race history when they offer the 1972 Can-Am Series Championship winning race car, the Team Penske Porsche 917/10-003 Spyder driven by George Follmer and Mark Donahue, at Mecum's Monterey Auct
- Mecum Auctions Offers Lotus Type 56 Turbine Indy Racecar At MontereyMecum Auctions unveiled an iconic piece of Indy 500 history owned by racing legend 'The King' Richard Petty during their auction at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, Indiana. The STP-sponsored Lotus Type 56/3 Turbine Indy racecar, driven by Graham Hill at the 1968 Indianapolis 500-Mile
- The Alfa Romeo Sprint ZagatoBorn of fact or fable, the Giullieta body-styling by Alfa Romeo during the 1960s certainly fits well within the romantic mood of the 60s and the place Alfa Romeo holds in the heart of many of its passionate fans. One of the most passionate and evoking of the Giulietta body-styles would be the Sprint Zagato.
Boasting of elements from Alfa's extensive racing heritage, and yet, having supple and appealing lines, it would be little wonder the Sprint Zagato would be one of the most desirable of the Giulietta line.
- Chevy Indycar Engine Offers Promise For passenger CarsThe unbeaten track performance of the new Chevrolet IndyCar V-6 engine is bringing acclaim to the engineers who created it and hope for its significant technology to find its way into passenger cars.
Engineers Mark Kent and Matt Wiles, along with Steve Miller and Steve O'Connor from Ilmor Engine
- Concorso Di Motociclette At The Concorso D'Eleganza Villa D'Este 2012•30 historic motorcycles set to line up in five classes on the banks of Lake Como
•First-class international jury assembled.
Following a successful premiere last year, the Concorso e Mostra di Motociclette celebrates its return in 2012. 'The Concorso d'Eleganza for cars can look back over a lon
- Guy Fieri To Pace Indianapolis 500 In Corvette ZR1Restaurateur, best-selling author and host of the Food Network's hit show 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' Guy Fieri will drive the 2013 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Pace Car to lead the field of 33 drivers to start the 2012 Indianapolis 500 on Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
'There are races and
- Aston Martin Works Hosts Bonhams sale At Newport PagnellThe first event to be held at Aston Martin Works in Newport Pagnell since its refurbishment following a major investment programme, was the annual Bonhams Aston Martin sale. The sale, attended by 2,000 bidders and enthusiasts, achieved a record total, with 47 cars and associated automobilia sold for in excess of £6.5 million.
On Saturday 19th May Bonhams came to Aston Martin Works for the 13th annual auction of heritage Aston Martin cars and associated automobilia. Over 200 lots including a fascinating selection of historical documents, parts and other automotive memorabilia and 47 Aston Martin cars came under the hammer.
- Ferrari Spectacular at Laguna SecaThis weekend, the Laguna Seca circuit in California hosted the third Ferrari Racing Days of the year, the event that brings together on track all the main areas of activity of the Maranello marque's Corse Clienti department. The busy programme included free practice sessions for drivers taking part in the XX and historic F1 programmes as they tackled this thrilling track that was the perfect backdrop for them to experience driving at speed in a safe environment, as well as benefiting from the support of professional racing drivers such as Marc Gene, who was there as a tutor. Also on track at Laguna Seca the twenty eight drivers entered in the third round of the Ferrari Challenge North America tackling free practice and the first round of races at the wheel of their 458 Challenge cars.
- First Audi overall victory in the Nürburgring 24 HoursErratic weather, an extreme pace, tough competition, bitter setbacks and a great triumph: Audi emerged from a genuine emotional roller-coaster ride as victor of the Nürburgring 24 Hours. In the 40th running of the Eifel classic the brand recorded its first overall victory with the new Audi R8 LMS ultra. The German driver quartet Marc Basseng/Christopher Haase/Frank Stippler/Markus Winkelhock shared driving duties in the car entered by Audi Sport Team Phoenix. Christian Abt/Michael Ammermüller/Armin Hahne/Christian Mamerow from Team Mamerow Racing completed the one-two success.
- Floral inspiration for Life Ball MINI 2012, designed by Franca SozzaniA special car to befit a special occasion: Franca Sozzani, chief editor of Italian VOGÚE, has designed and presented her very own MINI model exclusively to mark the 20th anniversary of the charity event. The model in question is a MINI Roadster, the first open-top two-seater in the brand's history. The one-off creation, which went under the auctioneer's hammer at the AIDS Solidarity Gala and raised a donation total of 54,000 euros for HIV projects, left the audience of around 43,000 in no doubt: this is set to be a sporty, feminine summer. Franca Sozzani decorated the roof of the 184 hp MINI Roadster – which has a top speed of 227 km/h (141 mph) – in a stylishly intricate floral design which, in combination wîth very 'of the moment' Deepest Purple matt paintwork and gold hallmark MINI rally stripes, produced an impressively complete work of art. Inside the car, lavishly printed leather for the instruments and brass-coloured touches on the circular elements add the icing on the cake. The most influential woman in the Italian fashion scene, herself an avid MINI driver, gave her creativity free reign in the design of the special one-off model. 'The concept behind the MINI customisation is inspired by the beautiful and elegant women who in the past used to wear a scarf draped around their head when driving a convertible,' says Sozzani, citing her inspiration. And, as the ÚN Goodwill Ambassador for Fashion 4 Development adds: 'Flowers are a symbol of joy and life. And the Life Ball is always fighting for life and joy.'
- Williams FW06One of the favorite teams up and down the paddock, Williams Grand Prix Engineering would get its start literally through a lot of hard work, sweat and even some tears. And while the team has become one of the most successful in Formula One history its start would be less than spectacular. But that would all begin to change when Sir Frank Williams and Patrick Head rejoined forces and developed the FW06.
Though he was the son of a Royal Air Force officer, having a job as a traveling grocery salesman was not about to be able to fully fund a career in racing. Still, Frank Williams would do his best as motor racing was a great passion of his. Unfortunately, by the end of 1966 he had come to realize that his talents didn't necessarily lie in being a driver. Therefore, he focused on starting a second-hand car and parts business.
- A Monaco story: When Nico met MikaIt's a scene that happens hundreds of thousands of times a day around the world: two people meet in a lift, greet each other and begin to chat about work and life. The twist in this particular story, though, is that the elevator is in Monte-Carlo; the two men are resident in the same apartment build
- Aston Martin Works Hosts Bonhams sale At Newport PagnellThe first event to be held at Aston Martin Works in Newport Pagnell since its refurbishment following a major investment programme, was the annual Bonhams Aston Martin sale. The sale, attended by 2,000 bidders and enthusiasts, achieved a record total, with 47 cars and associated automobilia sold fo
- Beechdean Motorsport Secures First Race Win For Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3Nurburg, 21 May 2012 – The new-for-2012 Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3 celebrated its first competitive win this weekend (18-20 May), when Beechdean Motorsport snatched the landmark victory at the Nurburgring in the second round of the Avon Tyres British GT Championship.
The ADAC Zurich Nur
- FDA - Marciello keeps on winning at Brands HatchMaranello, 20 May- After winning Race 1 and finishing seventh in Race 2, Raffaele Marciello added another win to his palmares, coming out on top in Race 3 at Brands Hatch, which is hosting the second round of the F3 Euro Series. The Ferrari Driver Academy youngster got the better of pole man
- Gary Paffett secures 110th DTM pole for Mercedes• Gary Paffett (THOMAS SABO Mercedes AMG C-Coupé) took his ninth DTM pole position in his home race at Brands Hatch
• Mercedes-Benz junior team member Christian Vietoris (Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Coupé) on the front row for the first time
• 110th pole position and 65th double pole for Merced
- Audi Customers to Get 4-Year SiriusXM Traffic SubscriptionSirius XM Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) and Audi of America today announced customers who purchase 2013 model year vehicles equipped with MMI Navigation Plus or MMI Navigation Plus with MMI Touch will receive a 4-year subscription to SiriusXM Traffic, giving drivers access to traffic speed and flow informati
- First Audi overall victory in the Nürburgring 24 Hours- One-two finish in Germany's greatest race
- Next historical milestone after Le Mans and Spa
- Triumph for Audi Sport Team Phoenix in its home race
Erratic weather, an extreme pace, tough competition, bitter setbacks and a great triumph: Audi emerged from a genuine emotional roller-coaster r
- U.S. Rallycross Completes First Event At New Jersey Motorsports ParkField of 4WD and 2WD battled it out on a customized Lightning track.
Rally America's first of four rounds of the 2012 U.S. Rallycross Series at New Jersey Motorsports Park returned this past Saturday, May 19, 2012 after a brief hiatus with intense competition on the .6 mile rallycross c
- CHRYSLER GROUP NAMED 'CORPORATION OF THE YEAR'•Award cites Company's contribution to the economic advancement of Asian Pacific Americans
The Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce (APACC) presented Chrysler Group LLC with its Corporation of the Year Award at APACC's 11th annual dinner celebration Saturday evening in Rochester, Mich.
- Triple-Podium For Aston Martin At the Nurburgring 24 HoursDuring a weekend in which the ADAC Zurich Nürburgring 24 Hours proved that it's still every bit as challenging as ever, Aston Martin has successfully conducted a valuable testing exercise for its new-for-2012 V12 Vantage GT3 racing car, whilst its engineering department and customer race teams racke
- The Edo Competition C 63 AMGRestraint is not necessarily one of the virtues that edo competition claims for itself. That quickly becomes clear when lòòking at this version of the current generation AMG C-Class.
Designed specifically for the high-revving engine in the Mercedes C 63 AMG, edo competition is offering a power kit that's in a class of its own. It consists of a new high-performance exhaust system, exhaust headers, high-flow catalytic converters, new air filters, revised engine electronics and a removal of the top speed governor. The result is an enormous power increase from the stock output of 457 horsepower / 336 kW to 600 horsepower / 441 kW. At the same time the torque output growns from 600 Nm (442 lb-ft) to 680 Nm (501 lb-ft). As will all engine modications done by edo competition, a dynamometer is used to carry out the tuning work, and the actual output is documented accurately.
- The Peugeot 908 V-12 HDi FAP Le Mans Racing CarHeading into the 2007 24 Hours of Le Mans there was a renewed sense of excitement and anticipation surrounding the endurance classic. The previous year had seen the new turbo-diesel developed by Audi Sport dominate the competition to take the overall victory in its maiden attempt. The reason for the excitement was simple: Peugeot was back and it was coming back with a powerful diesel of its own. Audi had a challenger and it came in the form of the 908 HDi FAP.
Originally conceived in 2005, the 908 project would start rather quietly despite Bruno Famin coming to the team becoming the Technical Director of the program. Besides Famin, Paolo Catone and Guillaume Cattelani would also join the team to begin the process of laying the groundwork for Peugeot's expected return to Le Mans in 2007.
- A day with Felipe at Maranello 'The team stands by me'Angry could be a polite way of describing Felipe Massa's mood, on a day spent in Maranello to work in the simulator and to attend meetings with his engineers. Five days on from the Spanish Grand Prix, the Brazilian is still annoyed about the outcome of a race that could definitely have ended differe
- Pole Position for Newest GT Academy GraduateLess than a year after he stepped into a racing car for the very first time, Jann Mardenborough has taken pole position for the first of this weekend's British GT races at the Nürburgring. This is also the first pole position for the Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 car.
Jann's performance today is even m
- Aquilante And Spaude 'Storm' New Jersey Track, Subaru Team Wins on Home Turf.Subaru WRX STI Climbs From 45th to First in 45 Laps
The Subaru Road Racing Team (SRRT) drivers Andrew Aquilante and Bret Spaude won round four of the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge (CTSCC) race on Saturday at New Jersey Motorsports Park near Millville, N.J.
- 1954 Maserati 250F by Cameron MillarWhen it comes to the 1950s there are only a few cars that immediately come to mind as greats in single-seater grand prix racing. And while there would be others that would be more successful perhaps none of those truly evoke the images, the sensory perception, the drama and the romance surrounding Formula One better than the elegant and simple Maserati 250F.
Undoubtedly one of the most elegant Formula One cars of all time, the 250F would live on in the memory of many Formula One fans forever remembered for those images of Juan Manuel Fangio putting it through its paces walking it sideways through corner after corner. A true performer, it made its living on the edge and made living on the edge seem so easy and tedious.
- New Design Features Redefine The Class-Leading Appeal Of The Range Rover Sport For 2013For 2013, the Range Rover Sport consolidates its position as the most dynamic and luxurious sports tourer in its class wîth fresh new colours and a greater choice of interior trim and alloy wheel designs.
'The Range Rover Sport was substantially revised in 2011 wîth major powertrain enhancements and raised equipment levels to reinforce its outstanding breadth of capability. This year we're going one step further, offering even more choice wîth some great new colour combinations and detail improvements to redefine the Range Rover Sport's class-leading levels of comfort and customer appeal,' says John Edwards, Land Rover Global Brand Director.
- The Abarth 695 Maserati Edition Debuts at the Mille Miglia 2012The Abarth 695 Maserati Edition, the new limited edition of only 499 vehicles to be sold mainly in European markets, will make its public debut on the occasion of the thirtieth anniversary of the Mille Miglia, which Enzo Ferrari called 'the most beautiful race in the world.' Displayed at Piazza della Loggia in Brescia, in the midst of the collectors' automotive jewels and 'luxury cars' of today, this glamorous car represents the bond between Abarth and Maserati and is based on a host of shared values, including attention to detail, elegance and a passion for performance and sport.
- The Ferrari 225 SportThroughout the early 1950s Ferrari would produce a number of sports-racers chassis that would be well and truly mere variations on a theme. But the factory had struck a chord with its public and only found it necessary to introduce slight variations in order to maintain its competitive edge. Still, each evolution or variation would have its own soul, so to say, and would take on an existence all its own. Once such variation would be the 225 Sport Spyder 'Tuboscocca', one of which would be made available at the RM Auctions event in Monaco.
Chassis 0192ET would be just one of a number of special Ferrari sports-racers to be presented at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco. However, like all the others, this unassuming exceedingly rare 225 Sport Spyder would have a story all its own that would make the most ardent of collectors proud.
- The Ferrari 625 TRCFor all of the profound and flowery expressions and descriptions ever given in automotive design, quality and performance the phrase 'rare beauty' is perhaps used rather flippantly causing the true depth and meaning of the phrase to be cheapened. However, perhaps only the 1957 Ferrari 625 TRC Spider would be able to give the full meaning of the phrase its true and intended value.
The car has everything. The car currently has a V12 engine that still gives it that distinctive Testa Rossa sound that any purist would be able to immediately recognize and it has the elegant body-styling that made the 500 TRC considered 'one of the prettiest Ferraris built'. However, it has one important difference that causes this particular model to be listed in a class all its own. The difference would be the fact the 625 TRC had been produced and came with a 2.5-liter version of the inline 4-cylinder engine compared to the 2.0-liter used in the more well known 500 TRC. As a result, the 'rare' definition would certainly be applicable as only two 625 TRCs would ever be produced. And one of those two would be up for auction at RM Auctions' event at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco in May of 2012.
- At Laguna Seca with the Ferrari Racing DaysThis weekend, the legendary Californian Laguna Seca circuit, just down the road from the delights of Monterey, will host the third Ferrari Racing Days of the year, with several jewels of the Maranello marque taking part in some intensive test session, including an F2003GA, an FXX and four 599XXs.
- Nissan Maintains Strong European Sales in AprilInnovative 100% electric Nissan LEAF sales accelerate
Today, Nissan in Europe announced sales of more than 49,000 units in April despite a weakening market in Western Europe.
Overall sales were down by 4,700 units compared to a record April 2011, with monthly market share dipping sligh
- Volkswagen Joins Dave Matthews Band On 2012 Summer TourVolkswagen of America is proud to announce its partnership with Dave Matthews Band for its 2012 summer tour. The band will be stopping in 40 cities nationwide and the Volkswagen brand will ride alongside with them.
Throughout the tour, Volkswagen will give fans the opportunity to win tickets and
- Free Weekend Camping at Sahlen's Six Hours of The GlenOne of the most affordable and family friendly events on the Watkins Glen International schedule is just a bit more accessible. The Glen announced FREE camping is available for Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen, where Kids and Teens 18 and under are already free. Known for its unlimited access this GRA
- Lake to Lake Ramble Returns to Sahlen's Six Hours of The GlenThe Lake to Lake Sports Car Ramble, set for Friday, June 29, is held in conjunction with Watkins Glen International's Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen (June 29-July 1) weekend. Watkins Glen Promotions organizes the event, the same organization that produces the Grand Prix Festival held in downtown Wat
- Lime Rock Historic Festival, Aug 31 - Sept 3, 2012This year's Honored Guest will be Sir Stirling Moss... No other venue in the U.S. has three days of on-track racing sandwiching a prestigious concours event – all on the same property. Since 1983, the East Coast's premier vintage racing event has been the Historic Festival and its companion 'Sunday
- Early Supercharged Automobiles Will Be Featured at 2012 Glenmoor GatheringOne of the highlighted features of the 2012 Gathering will be early supercharged automobiles. Here's a special example—a 1929 Stutz type MC with custom coachwork by Lancefield. This one-of-a-kind Stutz is owned by noted collector Richard Mitchell of Montgomery, Texas. Among the famous marques equipped with superchargers were American automobiles such as Auburn, Cord, Graham and Duesenberg as well as foreign makes such as Bentley, Mercedes-Benz and Alfa-Romeo.
In all, more than 200 vintage and classic American and European automobiles and motorcyles will be on the show field. There will be a display of Allard automobiles, 'micro cars,' steam-powered cars and 'The Trans Atlantics'—automobiles with European and U. K. coachwork and American engines.
- Ferrari 375 MMFerrari had found a contender when it had developed its 340. Using its 4.1-liter engine, the 340 would make Ferrari very competitive in the sportscar market and in sportscar races. However, Aurelio Lampredi wouldn't sit idle and wouldn't settle for competitive. He wanted a car that could take Ferrari to a whole new level. This would give rise to the 375MM.
Lampredi's work with Ferrari's Formula One program had led him to produce a 4.5-liter V12 engine that was capable of producing 340 bhp. This engine would be used to great effect during the 1951 Formula One World Championship and would see Scuderia Ferrari well and truly take over as the dominant team in Formula One despite Juan Manuel Fangio winning the World Championship in an Alfa Romeo 158.
- Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion to Celebrate the Life of Carroll ShelbyA war veteran who flew B-29s, an oil roughneck, a chicken farmer…Carroll Shelby was a man of diverse talents. But he will forever be remembered as an automotive icon who transformed sports car racing and brought American pride to the international motorsports stage.
This year's Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, August 17-19, celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Shelby Cobra. But the featured marque honor becomes more poignant with the recent passing of the man who was simply known to friends as 'Shel.'
- The 1950 Talbot-Lago T26 Grand SportAt four in the afternoon on the 25th of June in 1950 the Talbot-Lago of Louis Rosier and Jean-Louis Rosier would come powering its way across the finish line to take the victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. This would be a monumental moment in Le Mans history as it would be the first time (and only to date) in which a father and son combination would go on to take the overall victory in the classic enduro. The car that would carry them to victory and motor racing legend would be the Talbot-Lago T26GS.
By the mid-thirties, the consortium of Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq was collapsing. Anthony Lago, an engineer from Venice would end up purchasing Talbot and would set about restructuring the company. The company would become known as Talbot-Lago from then on and its reputation for producing powerful production and racing cars would also change right along with it.
- Ford Begins Taking Orders for C-MAX Hybrid – America's Most Affordable, Fuel-Efficient Hybrid Utility VehicleFord dealers are starting to place orders for America's most affordable and fuel-efficient hybrid utility vehicle – the 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid – with innovative technologies such as a hands-free liftgate, spaciousness for five passengers and cargo as well as the fun-to-drive character shared with we
- Audi R18 e-tron quattro: heading for Le Mans with all-wheel driveIn a month from now a prestigious success will be at stake for Audi. On June 16/17, a hybrid vehicle could be winning the Le Mans 24 Hours for the first time.
Electrified drive and quattro all-wheel drive – what looks like two different worlds at first glance has been merged into a technological
- Audi presents a new perspective on mobilityThe conference 'Metropolis & Mobility Dialogue' provides first insights into changes in worldwide mobility
Architects show prerequisites and give impulses for future urban mobility
The Audi Urban Future Award 2012 has set itself the aim of working out a new understanding of fu
- TMC Launches Redesigned Corolla Series in JapanToyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces the launch in Japan today of the redesigned 'Corolla Axio' sedan and ''Corolla Fielder'*1 station wagon. The vehicles will be sold across Japan through 'Toyota Corolla' dealers.
Since its debut in 1966, the Corolla has been designed to prioritize peace o
- Early Supercharged Automobiles Will Be Featured at 2012 Glenmoor GatheringOne of the highlighted features of the 2012 Gathering will be early supercharged automobiles. Here's a special example—a 1929 Stutz type MC with custom coachwork by Lancefield. This one-of-a-kind Stutz is owned by noted collector Richard Mitchell of Montgomery, Texas. Among the famous marques equ
- Dana Mecum's 25th Original Spring Classic Auction Ramps UpThe World's Largest Collector Car Auction Kicks Off On Super Tuesday, May 15, 2012
The excitement and buzz continues to build as Dana Mecum's 25th Original Spring Classic Auction is fast approaching. More than 2,000 vehicles and over 1,200 pieces of Road Art will take over the Indiana Stat
- Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion to Celebrate the Life of Carroll ShelbyShelby's Last Professional Race was in Monterey
A war veteran who flew B-29s, an oil roughneck, a chicken farmer…Carroll Shelby was a man of diverse talents. But he will forever be remembered as an automotive icon who transformed sports car racing and brought American pride to the internat
- Toyota to Increase V6 Engine Production in Alabama$80M investment to create 125 jobs
Total North American job announcements hit 1,100 this year
ERLANGER, Ky. (May 17, 2012) -- Toyota announced today it will expand its Huntsville, Ala. engine facility to increase North American production of V6 engines. The approximatel
- Road safety lessons with FDA driversMaranello, 17 May –Yesterday, the Aula Magna at the Barozzi di Modena Technical Commercial Institute hosted the start of the road safety campaign backed by the Ferrari Driver Academy, with Polstrada. There were over fifty students from seven schools in attendance as two of the Maranello based
- Porsche 918 Spyder prototypes begin testingThe Porsche 918 Spyder is on the road: Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, has taken the driving trials of the super sports car of the future a step further wîth completion of the initial prototypes. The 918 Spyder is planned for production at the end of September 2013, with the first customer deliveries currently scheduled for the Únited States late in 2013. 'What we are doing wîth the 918 Spyder is redefining driving fun, efficiency and performance,' said Wolfgang Hatz, Member of the Executive Board Research and Development of Porsche AG.
- The Breadvan and Stirling Moss's SWBThere are certain cars that, because of their rarity and the role they've played in automotive history, simply must be preserved for posterity. 2012 marks the 60th anniversary of the Ferrari 250 GT and to celebrate that milestone, the Ferrari Museum has organised a series of exhibitions of the most
- Never give up, especially in Formula 1It's been decades since we have witnessed such a closely matched start to the season. Not since 1983 have the first five races been won by five different drivers in five different cars. Back then too, one of the winners was a Ferrari, driven by Patrick Tambay in the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola, w
- The AIM Ferrari triumphs again in Grand AMAfter winning the previous round in Miami, the Ferrari entered by the Canadian AIM Autosport team took another great win today at Motorsports Park in New Jersey, in this weekend's fourth round of the Grand AM Championship. The crew of Jeff Segal and Emil Assentato got the better of Robin Liddell's M
- Spanish GP - Alonso second in Montmelò and leading the ChampionshipAnother two sided afternoon for Scuderia Ferrari, with one driver on the podium and one out of the points. Fernando Alonso finished second at the end of a race in which he was in contention for the win from start to finish, while Felipe Massa finished fifteenth, having been given a penalty at a cruc
- Mercedes-Benz DTM drivers comment on the third race of the season at Brands Hatch• Mercedes-Benz has won three out of the six DTM races at Brands Hatch
• David Coulthard (Scotland), Jamie Green (England), Gary Paffett (England) and Susie Wolff (Scotland) aiming to excel in their home race
• Mercedes-Benz leads driver, team and constructor standings in DTM 2012
• Brands Hat
- Spanish Grand Prix: RaceNico Rosberg finished the Spanish Grand Prix in seventh place today with Michael Schumacher retiring on lap13.
• Nico followed a three-stop tyre strategy, pitting on laps 9, 22 and 40
• Nico's tyre usage was soft (9 laps), soft (13 laps), hard (18 laps), hard (26 laps)
• Michael retired in t
- Another Race, Another Winner, Another Packed Day In The PaddockPretty much the whole of F1 agreed that Maldonado's pole and win was a fitting tribute to his team owner Sir Frank Williams who is 70 this week. However, a fire in the team garage as the Paddock packed down took away some of the shine from their deserved celebrations.
As well as a great drive by
- 2012 Santander Spanish Grand PrixLEWIS HAMILTON
'I'm proud of my performance today, and proud of the team too. They did a great job: a real improvement with the pitstops, following our difficulties in that area recently. All in all, then, I think today's result was the best we could do.
'I was the only driver to attemp
- Smart Driving Could Save $100 a Month at the PumpSmart Driving Could Save $100 a Month at the Pump
With the official start of the summer driving season fast approaching, Chevrolet is reminding consumers of some easy ways to maintain their vehicles and drive smarter to help improve fuel economy and save money at the pump.
- Carroll Shelby, Ford Family for More Than Half a CenturyCarroll Shelby was a member of the Ford family for the better part of 60 years, producing stunning performance vehicles from concepts to production models.
He once said his energy and passion for performance products were always strongest when he was working with Ford.
Shelby most recently co
- Bentley Ready For Classic Thousand Mile Challenge•Iconic Bentley Blowers ready for great Mille Miglia adventure
•Bentley Continental W12 and V8 models join historic cars in Italy
(Crewe, England & Brescia, Italy. 16 May, 2012) W.O. Bentley's gift for creating cars that combined the speed of a thoroughbred racing machine with an enviabl
- 2012 Keeneland Concours d'Elegance Features Packard AutomobilesThe 9th annual Keeneland Concours d'Elegance will once again bring more than 150 classic and collector automobiles and motorcycles to the grounds of the historic Keeneland Race Course on Saturday, July 21, 2012.
This year's featured marque is Packard, and collectors from across the country will compete for trophies in 18 classes of classic, vintage and exotic autos and motorcycles. Packard autos will be divided into pre-war and post-war classes. Other featured classes include the Motorcycle Preservation Class and the Racing Class with historic NASCAR racers.
- 8th Grand Prix de Monaco HistoriqueThe annual Monaco Grand Prix Formula One event, held on the Circuit de Monaco, began in 1929 and has become one of the most prestigious automobile races in the world. The narrow streets of Monaco serve as the temporary 2.075 mile track, featuring tight corners, elevation changes, and even a tunnel. Today, drivers still navigate the uphill climb to Casino Square, before turning down to Mirabeau and the Loews Hairpin, before entering the famous tunnel that runs into the harbor-side chicane, a notorious spot for accidents. From there, drivers sprint past many of the harbor's large yachts toward La Piscine and the swimming pool that the corner is named after. This is followed by a quick right turn into La Rascasse before a run down into the Boulevard Albert and to the finish line.
- Big on performance, small in number: The MINI John Cooper Works GPOnly once has there been anything like it, but even that wasn't as quick. With the MINI John Cooper Works GP, the British premium brand has come up wîth another car of exceptional talent designed to deliver extreme performance on both the race track and the road. The sportiest road-registered MINI ever made will go on sale later this year in a limited run of 2,000 cars. It is currently completing a programme of testing in preparation for series production, part of which has involved setting an impressive fastest lap of the Nürburgring's Nordschleife circuit. The MINI John Cooper Works GP lapped the erstwhile Grand Prix course in 8 min. 23 sec. In so doing, the new model has put clear asphalt between itself and numerous sports cars from loftier perches – and beaten the lap time set by its predecessor, the MINI Cooper S wîth John Cooper Works GP Kit, by almost 19 seconds.
- Inaugural Concours d'Elegance of Texas deemed a massive successLast weekend, the award winning La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa in Montgomery played host to the biggest and most prestigious classic car weekend in Texas, welcoming thousands of visitors through its gates for the inaugural Concours d'Elegance of Texas, a highlight of The Houston Classic Weekend. Concours organizers had promised a spectacular gathering of world class cars at a world class venue, and they definitely delivered, assembling a superb selection of rare and exotic motorcars, historic military machinery, sports and racecars, antique motorcycles, vintage tractors, and even the odd stagecoach, all displayed in a beautiful golf course lakeside setting. The first Texas Tour d'Elegance got the weekend off to a racing start on Friday May 4th, as Concours participants took to the open road on a 50-mile scenic tour of the local area, stopping for a distinctly Texas style lunch at the unique Thomas Ranch, with a Cocktail reception later that evening. Event partners, Worldwide Auctioneers, presented their 11th annual The Houston Classic Auction on Saturday, May 5th, packing the Versailles Ballroom at La Torretta with bidders and enthusiasts from across the country and further afield. 120 hand-selected motorcars went under the hammer, with 85% finding new homes over the course of an action-packed, six-hour sale.
- RM Auctions Achieves More Than €33.5 Million in Sales at MonacoRM Auctions, the world's largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, continued its record-breaking sales run in Europe this past weekend, generating a spectacular €33,521,710 in sales* ($43,410,615 million USD**) with 86 percent of all lots sold at its biennial Monaco sale at the Grimaldi Forum.
Held during the same weekend as the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique, the two-day auction presented a magnificent collection of more than 90 blue-chip automobiles, 100 Ducati motorcycles and three boats. As many as ten motor cars achieved individual prices exceeding €1 million, with four lots surpassing €2 million. In addition, the sale boasted several new all-time records for a number of specific cars and motorcycles sold at a public sale.
- Credit Suisse Celebrates Successful 2012 GP De Monaco HistoriqueThe historic racing community bid farewell to a thrilling weekend of action on the streets of Monaco as the 8th Grand Prix de Monaco Historique came to a close on Sunday evening.
In a weekend that saw some captivating motor racing on the world's most famous street circuit, Credit Suisse once again
- Jaguar Heritage Racing scores debut win in Monaco HistoricJaguar Heritage Racing, the new 'works' supported racing programme of Jaguar Cars, scored its debut win with a C-type in the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique, Serie C for Pre-1953 Sports Prototypes. The prestigious FIA sanctioned race was won by Alex Buncombe, in Jaguar Heritage Racing's 1952 C-type
- Aston Martin Racing Proves Winning Potential At Laguna SecaHaving started from pole position, Aston Martin Racing led the fiercely competitive GT category at Laguna Seca, California, until the first refuelling stops. Competing on the third round of the American Le Mans Series (ALMS), the team's #007 Vantage GTE had been on course for its best finish to date
- ALMS - Ferrari Fifth In The Laguna Seca 6 HoursThe Laguna Seca Mazda Raceway, in Monterey was the backdrop for the third round of the American Le Mans Series, hosting the famous Californian 6 hour race. It produced a thrilling spectacle, especially in the GT class, with lots of duels and the first seven cars all very close at the flag. Of the tw
- Faces of the future: the concept cars at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este 2012The participants in this year's Concept Cars & Prototypes competition have been announced at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este press conference in Milan. 'We're delighted to see a steady rise in the number of entrants for the Concept Cars & Prototypes concours,' said Karl Baumer, President of the
- Formula One - Spanish Grand PrixKimi Raikkonen bagged his second podium on the trot in Barcelona, charging hard to finish third behind first time grand prix winner Pastor Maldonado and, by just half a second, Fernando Alonso.
The Finn was disappointed not to finish on the top step, though, claiming that the Lotus E20 had the po
- Auctions America By RM's 2012 Auburn Spring AuctionThe historic Auburn Auction Park in Auburn, Indiana, will become a giant treasure chest of automotive memorabilia June 1-3 when Auctions America by RM offers the largest private collection of high-quality scale models, fine art paintings, original signs and rare vintage mascots the auction company h
- Inaugural Concours d'Elegance of Texas deemed a massive successHouston, Texas. May 15, 2012. Last weekend, the award winning La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa in Montgomery played host to the biggest and most prestigious classic car weekend in Texas, welcoming thousands of visitors through its gates for the inaugural Concours d'Elegance of Texas, a highlight
- 2012 Keeneland Concours d'Elegance Features Packard AutomobilesThe 9th annual Keeneland Concours d'Elegance will once again bring more than 150 classic and collector automobiles and motorcycles to the grounds of the historic Keeneland Race Course on Saturday, July 21, 2012.
This year's featured marque is Packard, and collectors from across the country will c
- The Shelby MustangThe Shelby GT350, a high-powered performance version of the 1964 1/2 and 1965 Mustang, was created to qualify for SCCA/B production competition, by a process called 'homologation.' Shelby American produced 100 cars by February 1965, thus enabling the vehicles to compete in the 1965 season. There were only 522 cars to roll out of Carroll Shelby's Venice, California plant.
- RM Secures One-Of-A-Kind Ferrari and Talbot-Lago For its Monterey saleRM Auctions, the world's largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, is delighted to announce two new headline attractions for its highly anticipated Monterey, California sale, August 17–18: a spectacular 1955 Ferrari 410 Sport Berlinetta and a flawless 1938 Talbot-Lago T23 Teardrop Coupe.
On display at the company's sale in Monaco this week (May 11–12), both automobiles represent the pinnacle of exclusivity and style. The extraordinarily rare 410 S, chassis 0594 CM, is the only example built with a closed body, while the stunning Talbot-Lago, chassis 93064, is the sole Jeancart-style Teardrop originally built upon a four-liter T23 chassis. Carefully handpicked from around the world by RM specialists, these latest multi-million-dollar consignments join a peerless group of 120 blue-chip automobiles slated for the sale, including the previously announced Pebble Beach 'Best of Show' winning 1938 Horch 853A Erdmann & Rossi Sport Cabriolet.
- The Lotus FifteenThe Lotus Type 15 Sports-Racing Two-Seater were the replacement for the successful Lotus Eleven, the 1100-1500cc model which had established designer Colin Chapman's Lotus Engineering Company Ltd. as a major competitor of customer production competition cars. After around 150 examples of the Series 1 Type Elevens were produced, a Series 2 version was introduced in the spring of 1957. Production ended a year later, with around 270 Lotus Elevens completed. Their success was in their design and engineering. They had a lightweight yet rigid multi-tubular space-frame chassis designed by Chapman and given an aerodynamic body styled by De Havilland Aeroplane Company aerodynamicist Frank Costin. In 1958, the Type 15 was introduced as an uprated sports-racing car, wearing similar Costin bodywork, but strengthened to cope with the increased horsepower and torque of the Coventry Climax FPF 4-cylidner engines. Around 27 examples of the Lotus 15s were manufactured from 1958-59.
- 85% sales and a world-class venue define Worldwide's 11th annual Houston Classic AuctionLast weekend saw the 11th annual Houston Classic Auction get off to a flying start at its upscale new venue, La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa in Montgomery, Texas. The Versailles Ballroom of the award winning resort was packed throughout the nine- hour sale on Saturday, May 5, when an arresting selecti
- Credit Suisse Historic Racing Forum at 8th Grand Prix de Monaco HistoriqueThe Credit Suisse Drivers Club in Monaco played host this morning to an engaging 1st Credit Suisse Historic Racing Forum in front of a capacity audience.
Media, VIPs and many of the historic racers themselves listened in as respected motoring journalist Simon Taylor acted as mediator for a frank
- Mazda And SCRAMP Confirm Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Partnership Through 2016Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today announced it has extended its naming rights agreement for Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with the Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula (SCRAMP) for another five years. The agreement was ratified by the Monterey County Board of Supervisors an
- Record Number of Original Shelby Cobra Competition Cars Accepted at Rolex Monterey Motorsports ReunionWhen Carroll Shelby, along with chief engineer Phil Remington, finished the very first Cobra, neither imagined that history was being written. Shelby just wanted to go race and win…right away, but Shelby American's incredible efforts between 1962 and 1967 resulted in 998 Shelby Cobras being construc
- RM Secures One-Of-A-Kind Ferrari and Talbot-Lago For its Monterey saleRM Auctions, the world's largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, is delighted to announce two new headline attractions for its highly anticipated Monterey, California sale, August 17–18: a spectacular 1955 Ferrari 410 Sport Berlinetta and a flawless 1938 Talbot-Lago T
- The Cooper BobtailDuring the years of 1954 through 1957 the Cooper Car Company in Surbiton, England designed and constructed a new series of rear-engine sports racers designated the 'Cooper Bobtail.' The early cars (Type 39 of 1954 and 1955) were equipped with alloy bodies and Coventry Climax FWA (1100cc) engines. These cars shared some components with the early Formula III cars, such as the 15-inch artillery style wheel with integral brake drums, cross leaf springs suspension, and driver seated on the centerline. Other advance features included the radiator air exiting from the top of the car as well as the bottom and the body with a chopped tail. These features contributed to the high-speed stability of the design. Later the cars were equipped with Coventry Climax FWB (1500cc) engines and one was built with a 2-liter Bristol engine.
- Pebble Beach 'Best Of Show' Winning Horch Returns To Monterey Peninsula For AuctionA stunning, multi-award winning 1938 Horch 853A Erdmann & Rossi Sport Cabriolet, judged 'Best of Show' at the 2004 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, will return to California's Monterey Peninsula, August 17–18, as a featured attraction at RM Auctions' highly anticipated Monterey sale.
One of only
- Auctions America 2012 Auburn Spring Auction Offers Full Range of ConvertiblesJust in time for summer fun, Auctions America by RM will offer an array of open-air collector cars during its June 1-3 Auburn Spring auction,including a one-of-a-kind concept car that cost Ford Motor Co. more than a half-million dollars to produce. During the three-day event, more than 600 American
- American Le Mans Monterey Just Got DreamierThe glitz and glamour of Hollywood is not on actor Patrick Dempsey's mind when he is on the race track. His focus is completely on the task at hand - racing for the win - and with a new addition to his race team he is more determined than ever to capture the checkered flag.
- All-New Toyota RAV4 EV Unveiled at EVS26Toyota Motor Sales, Ú.S.A., Inc. today revealed the highly anticipated all-new Toyota RAV4 EV at the 26th annual Electric Vehicle Symposium in Los Angeles. This all-electric SÚV has an expected driving range rating of approximately 100 miles and charging time of approximately six hours on a 240V/40A charger. The RAV4 EV's driving performance, dynamics and cargo capacity are equal to or exceed the gas powered RAV4 V6. Arriving fully-equipped wîth an MSRP of $49,800 the RAV4 EV doesn't compromise on performance, comfort or versatility.
'It's all about blending the best of two worlds,' said Bob Carter, group vice president and general manager of the Toyota division. 'The all-new RAV4 EV marries the efficiency of an EV wîth the versatility of a small SÚV – in fact, it is the only all-electric SÚV on the market.'
The RAV4 EV is the product of a unique collaboration wîth Tesla Motors spurred by Akio Toyoda, president and CEO of Toyota Motor Corporation. Twenty-two months after the project announcement, Toyota and Tesla engineers have succeeded in bringing an outstanding product to market in record time.
- Talbot-Lago T-26C Grand PrixEx-military Major Tony ('Antoine' and 'Antonio') Lago spent most of his professional life within the motor industry. He had produced 'LAP' overhead valve engine conversion in London, England during the 1920s. He then moved on to the Wilson Self-Changing Gear company where he aided in the manufacturing of semi-automatic pre-selector gearboxes. He later became an executive of the Franco-British Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq (S-T-D) combine.
This large manufacturing group collapsed in the post-Depression aftermath of 1935. Major Lago organized funding to set up SA Automobiles Talbot in the S-T-D factories at Suresnes, Paris, France.
Marjor Lago was a strong proponent of racing, especially for promotion of the up-market cars. The companies' ex-Fiat engineer Walter Becchia designed a 4-liter six-cylinder overhead-valve sports car which in 1937 won the French, Tunis and Marseilles Grand Prix races, and also dominated the British RAC Tourist Trophy at Donington Park.
- Plenty of Racing on the Schedule for American Le Mans MontereyIt's another six hours into the sunset at famed Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca when the American Le Mans Series returns for the American Le Mans Monterey, presented by Patrón May 11-12.
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is one of four race tracks to have hosted an American Le Mans Series event in each of its
- 1957 Italian Grand Prix: A True Nobleman Stands Amongst Two of F1's Most NobleThe sea of spectators overwhelming the circuit would be a truly awe-inspiring sight to behold. The vast majority of this horde was there to celebrate the car adorned in red finishing in the top three. The car's driver, a true royal, would stand amongst the crowd as if standing amongst adoring and loving subjects. For the first time in his career, Wolfgang von Trips would be able to count himself amongst the elite of Formula One.
Wolfgang von Trips had been born into a noble German family in 1929. He would grow up in a large castle on extensive grounds. However, he would also grow up within earshot of the mighty Nurburgring and would be an impressionable young man at the time of the mighty Silver Arrows of Auto Union and Mercedes-Benz
- 1961 Targa Florio: Porsche Dominance, Ferrari VictoriousThe first race held on the island of Sicily that included an automobile would take place between the car, a bicycle and a horse. Although the gentleman on the bicycle would drop out rather early due to leg cramps constantly going up and down on the mountainous roads, the battle between the de Dion motor tricycle and the horse would be an intriguing one. In the end, the same principles that played out in that first race would come into play many years later when the island hosted the 1961 Targa Florio.
Vincenzo Florio would lose the race with the horse but it would not stop him from thinking about a career in motor racing. Being a wealthy man himself, Florio would attract Fiat's Felice Nazzaro to remain with Florio to not only look after his growing number of automobiles, but also, to prepare racing cars for him to race.
- 2012 Spanish Grand Prix - PreviewFormula One's European season starts next week with the Spanish Grand Prix taking place at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona. A familiar testing venue, the 4.655 km circuit plays host to Round Five of the 2012 World Championship.
• The race has been won from pole in nine of the last 10 years; the exception was 2011, when Vettel won from P2
• At 730 metres, the run from the start-finish line to the apex of the first corner is the longest of the season
• Spain was one of just two races won on a four-stop strategy last season; the other was the Turkish Grand Prix
- Camaro ZL1 Joins the 11-second ClubThe 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is officially in the '11-second' club, as engineers recently turned an 11.93-second/116-mph quarter-mile elapsed time run in a showroom-stock Camaro ZL1 automatic. A Camaro ZL1 manual ran an 11.96-second ET at 117 mph.
Only a few other production vehicles can run the quarter-mile as quickly as the ZL1. Fewer yet can also run 0-60 in 4 seconds, reach a top speed of 184 mph and lap the famous Nürburgring in 7:41.27 – all with the street-legal, factory-issued components and no time-consuming equipment adjustments at the racetrack.
- Cyclops II Wows Amelia Island Concours D'Elegance Biggest CrowdThe smell of overheated olive oil and scorched Cinzano filled the air as Cyclops enthusiasts of the rare Italian breed flocked to the 17th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance last March to see, in person and up close one, of 2-1/2 surviving, running examples from the famed house of Automobili Cyclops SpA. The mighty V-1 engined Cyclops II is the latest of the noble Italian breed that has charmed and inspired, confused and bewildered American enthusiasts, car buyers and customs officials since 1957.
Cyclops won no cup, trophy or ribbon at the 17th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance but it did draw the most attention on the Concours field strewn wîth significant competition machines and multi-million dollar collector cars. The 1957 Cyclops II is the rarest automobile ever displayed at The Amelia.
- Ferrari 156There are many iconic Ferrari automobiles. However, within the manufacturer's extensive Formula One history there are but a few that are immediately recognizable. And among those few perhaps none are more recognizable and linked to Ferrari than the famous 156 'Sharknose'. However, the legend of the 'Sharknose' would actually begin in 1960 in Formula 2.
The mid-engine revolution had come to Formula One toward the end of the 1950s. Then, in 1960, Ferrari still didn't have an answer for the small and nimble Coopers with their mid-engines and Jack Brabham at the wheel. Ferrari's drivers, Phil Hill, Willy Mairesse and Richie Ginther would all have to make due with an evolved front-engine 246 F1 Dino. And on the tight and twisty circuits the advantages of the Cooper mid-engine would be more than apparent as the three Ferrari drivers would routinely struggle. However, Hill would uphold Ferrari's honor at the final race of the season, the Italian Grand Prix at Monza. The circuit favored power over handling and Hill was able to propel his way to victory.
- Lancia-Ferrari 801By the time of the 1957 Formula One World Championship season Ferrari was certainly struggling. While the Maserati 250F was, by then, actually older than the Lancia D50, the Lancia design seemed to struggle comparatively and had suffered every since the passing of Alberto Ascari. Still, the foundations of the car were strong. Ferrari just needed to make the right improvements and things likely would turn around.
The D50 project from Lancia would be delayed and delayed throughout the 1954 season. And there was good reason for this. From nose to tail, the D50 was brand-new and employed such innovative features that made it impossible just to throw the car together.
- Seven Ferraris in the Spa 6 HoursAfter a break of almost two months, the FIA World Endurance Championship is back in action this weekend at one of the sport's most iconic venues, the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, which is also home to the Belgian round of the F1 championship. It's not just the variable weather that makes Spa unique, it's also the track layout itself, with its climbs and drops, as it wends its way through the Ardennes forest, giving this event a special flavour.
- Wolfgang von Trips: A Royal Lineage in Formula One4 May 1928 – 10 September 1961
In 1961, one German of royal lineage would establish a go-kart track in the town of Kerpen. This track, in what was at the time western West Germany, would go on to produce a royal line of Formula One champions. The royal line established in 1961 would never be able to establish its founders rule over the Formula One elite, however.
The go-kart circuit would end up being the location where future World Champion and race winners Michael and Ralf Schumacher first turned some laps at the start of their racing careers. This experience that would lead to his multiple World Championships would lead to Michael making a number of appearances at karting tracks around Kerpen. And during one of those visits he would shake the hand of another future World Champion Sebastian Vettel.
The man that helped to directly and indirectly launch these royal careers was a royal himself. Wolfgang Alexander Albert Eduard Maximilian Reichsgraf Berghe von Trips would be born with enough names for a small village and would be born into a noble family from the Rhineland. Born in Cologne in May of 1928 to Eduard and Thessa, Wolfgang would simply be known as 'Wolfchen' (little wolf). For a brief period in his early life Wolfgang would live with his parents in Bonn. But then, in 1932, the family would move to Hemmersbach when his father inherited the castle there known by the same name.
- FIA WEC – Seven Ferraris in the Spa 6 HoursMaranello, 4 May – After a break of almost two months, the FIA World Endurance Championship is back in action this weekend at one of the sport's most iconic venues, the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, which is also home to the Belgian round of the F1 championship. It's not just the variable weathe
- The beginning of a new era at AudiIngolstadt, May 4, 2012 – The race debut of the Audi R18 e-tron quattro at Spa-Francorchamps this weekend signifies the beginning of a new era at Audi. For the first time ever, a Le Mans sports car with diesel hybrid drive and two driven axles will compete in a race. For Head of Audi Motorspo
- Alonso pleased with Mugello testing: 'I am confident'Scarperia, 3 May – A further 500 kilometres for the F2012, which reached the 250 lap threshold, equivalent to over 1300 kilometres during the course of the past three days at the Mugello Circuit. After rain on Tuesday came the second difficulty of the test, in the form of an off-track excursi
- 1957 Italian Grand Prix: A True Nobleman Stands Amongst Two of F1's Most NobleThe sea of spectators overwhelming the circuit would be a truly awe-inspiring sight to behold. The vast majority of this horde was there to celebrate the car adorned in red finishing in the top three. The car's driver, a true royal, would stand amongst the crowd as if standing amongst adoring and lo
- 1961 Targa Florio: Porsche Dominance, Ferrari VictoriousThe first race held on the island of Sicily that included an automobile would take place between the car, a bicycle and a horse. Although the gentleman on the bicycle would drop out rather early due to leg cramps constantly going up and down on the mountainous roads, the battle between the de Dion m
- 2012 Spanish Grand Prix - PreviewFormula One's European season starts next week with the Spanish Grand Prix taking place at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona. A familiar testing venue, the 4.655 km circuit plays host to Round Five of the 2012 World Championship.
The race has been won from pole in nine of the last 10 year
- Ford Celebrates Opening of New US$450 Million (THB14 billion) Manufacturing Facility in Thailand•State-of-the-art facility will serve as the foundation for Ford's plan to introduce eight all-new One Ford vehicles to the ASEAN region by mid-decade
•The highly-flexible facility, with an initial annual capacity of 150,000 units, is capable of producing a diverse range of vehicles
•Ford plans to
- Chrysler Australia group to distribute Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Fiat Professional brands in AustraliaFrom 1st May, 2012 Chrysler Australia group will act as the distributor for Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Fiat Professional brands in Australia.
Under the new agreement, the current Fiat and Alfa Romeo dealer group, which numbers 17 passenger dealerships with 22 commercial vehicle outlets across the count
- AMR Qualifies Third for Six Hours of Spa-FrancorchampsSpa-Francorchamps, 4 May 2012 – Aston Martin Racing has qualified in third position for the second round of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) at the Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium. Factory driver Stefan Mücke (D) recorded a best time of two minutes, 20.227 seconds to set the
- 1956 24 Hours of Le Mans: The Rise of Two CountsThe 1955 24 Hours of Le Mans would end up being the darkest day in all of motorsport when Pierre Levegh launched off the back of Lance Macklin's Austin-Healey and crashed into a barrier sending large portions of the car flying through the air acting like guillotines to the record crowd crammed along
- Volvo Car Corporation profitable in 2011Volvo Car Corporation recorded an Earnings Before Interest and Taxes (EBIT) of 1 636 MSEK in 2011. Sales improved by 20.3 percent, to 449 255 units.
'I'm pleased looking back on our achievements during the past year. Our sales situation is positive and we have started the journey of turning the c
- Mercedes-Benz Starts Successfully into the Second Quarter, Sales up 3.6 Percent• Dr. Joachim Schmidt: 'We are continuing on the road to success as the second quarter begins, and have again increased our sales compared to last year.'
'In the months to come, the next generation GLK, the new G-Class and the E300 BlueTec Hybrid, the most efficient sedan in the premium segment,
- Delahaye 135 MSThis teardrop coupe is the triple-carburetor version of Delahaye's most famous model, the Type 135. The 'S' means it has triple carburetors and 135 horsepower. It has an electromagnetic transmission with four speeds, forward and reverse and the common Delahaye accessory frog hood ornament. Lagenthal, a small Swiss coachbuilder with a good reputation, supplied a convertible body on the car. The original owner complained of noise and poor rear visibility and returned the car to Lagenthal for a removable hardtop. However, the top would have been too heavy for easy removal, so it was permanently attached.
- Geared up for new challenges: The new BMW X1As the first premium vehicle of its kind, the BMW X1 is a true trailblazer in the compact §egmènt. After some two-and-a-half years, sales of the compact BMW X model built at BMW Plant in Leipzig and in Tiexi, China have already exceeded 275 000 units. Now this all-round talent emerges wîth renewed vigour to meet a raft of new challenges. With its specially modified body design, meticulously upgraded interior, comprehensively revised engine portfolio, the new range of BMW Lines and further innovative equipment features, the new BMW X1 delivers an even more intensive experience of the hallmark driving pleasure for which the brand is known.
- Project Visio.M: Electric mass mobility for urban environmentsElectric vehicles powered by electricity from renewable energy sources are an attractive option for mobility within the urban area and beyond. However, previous approaches lead to vehicles that either are too heavy and too expensive or do not meet mass-market safety requirements. Within the joint research project Visio.M scientists at the Technische Universitaet Muenchen (TUM), in cooperation with engineers from the automotive industry, will develop concepts to produce electric cars that are efficient, safe, and inexpensive. Lead manager of the project is BMW AG. The project has a total volume of 10.8 million euros and is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF).
- The British Are Coming!The Rodeo Drive Committee, in conjunction with the City of Beverly Hills, have announced the 2012 theme for the Rodeo Drive Concours d'Elegance – 'THE BRITISH ARE COMING!' Aston Martin will be this year's featured marque. Gearys Beverly Hills will be the presenting sponsor in celebration of their new Rolex store opening on Rodeo Drive in June 2012. The annual Father's Day tradition features a wide variety of vintage and racing cars and motorcycles lining Rodeo Drive north from Wilshire Boulevard to Santa Monica Boulevard Sunday, June 17 from 10 am to 4 pm.
- GM Reports First Quarter Net Income of $1.0 Billion•EBIT-adjusted of $2.2 billion
•Net income of $0.60 per share after net loss from special items of $0.33 per share
DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) today announced first quarter net income attributable to common stockholders of $1.0 billion, or $0.60 per fully diluted share. Thes
- Project Visio.M: Electric mass mobility for urban environments.Electric vehicles powered by electricity from renewable energy sources are an attractive option for mobility within the urban area and beyond. However, previous approaches lead to vehicles that either are too heavy and too expensive or do not meet mass-market safety requirements. Within the joint re
- Vintage Racing Ushers In The 2012 Season At Road AmericaIt has been 62 years since racers tore through the streets of this tiny village about 60 miles north of Milwaukee. Still, every spring you would swear that the town speed limit doesn't exist when the sounds of historic racecars from days gone by seem to echo throughout the hillside. May 18-20 the Sp
- A Gift For The Dad That Has EverythingMONTEREY, Calif., May 3, 2012 – What father wouldn't want their own place in race history? Give him a Father's Day gift that he will long remember with his own customized brick at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
The Steps to the Corkscrew spectator terrace continues to expand near Mazda Raceway
- Formula One Returns to In-Season Testing in Italy: Day 2Day two of the test saw conditions markedly improved from yesterday, and with both Mark and Sebastian in the car, the team was able to work through its full run plan.
Driver: Mark Webber
Laps: 54 laps
Best time: 1:21.997
Driver: Sebastian Ve
- Infiniti Sales Increase 5.4 Percent For AprilApril Marks First Full Month of All-New Infiniti JX Luxury Crossover Deliveries
Infiniti today reported U.S. sales of 7,129 vehicles for the month of April, an increase of 5.4 percent versus 6,761 units a year earlier. Calendar year-to-date sales for Infiniti are 33,349, down 3.6 percent f
- Double Recognition For FiskerThe Fisker Karma luxury plug-in hybrid has received two more awards recognizing its leading-edge design, advanced technology, and environmental credentials.
Last week, the Karma received a First Prize in the International Design Awards (IDA) competition and a silver trophy for innovation at the E
- Kia's Sub-Compact Duo Brings More Fuel Savings and Fun-To-Drive CharacterWith class-leading horsepower1 and fuel economy2, the 2013 Rio sedan and Rio 5-door hatchback continue to infuse style, value, technology and spirited road manners into the Kia Motors America (KMA) model lineup. All-new last year, these award-winning subcompacts have played a vital role in achieving Kia's record sales and market-share growth since the launch of the Soul in 2009.
- Mugello Test - Day OneNico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher were both in action today as the MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS team began this week's test programme with the F1 W03 car at the Mugello circuit in Italy.
Michael will continue at the wheel of the F1 W03 tomorrow, with Nico concluding the test on Thursday.
- The Stutz BearcatInspired by an Indy sports car racer built by Stutz in 1911, this version Bearcat was produced from 1914 through 1917. It is powered by a 6,388 cubic-inch, four-cylinder engine. It was a lightweight at just 4,500 pounds and had a 120-inch wheelbase. It also utilized an underslung design that allowed it to be constructed lower than most vehicles.
In 1915, Edward George 'Cannonball' Baker drove a Bearcat from San Diego to New York in 11 days 7 hours and 15 minutes to break the previous record.
- 911 Sales up 69 percent – Best April ever for Porsche Cars North AmericaATLANTA – May 1, 2012 – Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of Porsche sports cars, Cayenne SUVs and the Panamera four-door sports sedan line-up in the United States, today announced April 2012 sales of 3,437 vehicles. This compares to 3,172 vehicles last April,
- Porsche Captures Four Spots in Top-10 at Homestead-MiamiHomestead, Fla. – April 29 – The rain-soaked weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway seeded custom-made for the quintet of GT class Porsche 911 GT3 Cup entries in the third round of the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. However, when heavy rain forced officials to call the April 29th Grand P
- Ford Fusion, Edge Achieve Best-Ever April Sales•Ford Fusion, Edge set all-time April records with 21,610 and 10,520 sales, respectively
•Explorer reported its best April sales since 2005 with 13,419 vehicles sold
•F-Series sales up 4 percent in April with 47,453 trucks sold, representing its best April sales since 2007; EcoBoost accounted for
- Audi Group establishes new revenue and profit records in first quarterWith revenue of €12.4 billion and an operating profit of €1.4 billion, the Audi Group enjoys its strongest first quarter ever
CFO Axel Strotbek: 'An 11.4 percent operating return on sales reflects the Company's high profitability.'
The Audi Group again demonstrated its strong
- Pirelli World Challenge Returns to Mazda Raceway Laguna SecaCadillac Sports Car Grand Prix is a Part of American Le Mans Monterey Weekend Events
There are some interesting story lines developing for this year's battle for drivers', and manufacturers' honors in the Pirelli World Challenge Series as it returns to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for the Cad
- Mugello Test - Day OneNico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher were both in action today as the MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS team began this week's test programme with the F1 W03 car at the Mugello circuit in Italy.
• With poor weather hitting the circuit, Nico completed 49 laps in the morning session in changeable conditions
- Nissan North America Reports April SalesNissan North America, Inc. (NNA) today reported April U.S. sales of 71,329 units versus 71,526 units a year earlier, down 0.3 percent. Nissan Division sales decreased 0.9 percent for the month at 64,200 units. Sales of Infiniti vehicles were up 5.4 percent over the prior year, to 7,129 units.
- Preview: DTM race at the Lausitzring• Second race of the 2012 DTM season at the Lausitzring, just one week after the one-two for Gary Paffett and Jamie Green in the season opener at Hockenheim
• Mercedes-Benz drivers have claimed twelve pole positions out of fourteen and nine of twelve race wins at the Lausitzring
• Between 2006
- 1933 Packard 1006 TwelvePackard introduced their Twelves in 1932 in response to the cylinder war assault initiated by Cadillac among American luxury car marques. Cadillac had introduced their V8 in 1915, while most other marques were powering their vehicles predominately by huge displacement six cylinder engines. In 1916, Packard responded with the Twin-Six. The engine was replaced by the smooth running straight eight in 1924.
Cadillac introduced their V12 and a V16 in 1930. Packard responded with this new V12 in 1932. In 1934 the V12's displacement was 445.5 cubic-inches offering 160 horsepower. Top speed was in the neighborhood of 100 mph although Packard advertising modestly claimed over 85 mph.
- 1933 Pierce-Arrow Model 836Known for its uncompromising quality, reliability and powerful motors, Pierce was one of America's finest motor cars. Pierce pioneered many innovations, one of which was integrating the headlights into the fenders.
LeBaron worked with Pierce in the design of several different body styles in the early 1930's. The 1933 Club Sedan was a LeBaron body design and was the beginning of the 'sport sedan,' to be owner driven vs. chauffeur driven.
This Model 836 Club Sedan was built for the 1933 Chicago World's Fair. It features a full leather interior, Stewart Warner mechanical power brakes, Startix automatic starting, and an automatic choke. It was restored by its current owner and completed in 2006. Chalk notifications under the body reinforcement plate indicate that the car was produced for a major automobile show, and with no trunk rack.
- Concours d'Elegance of Texas Is This WeekendOrganizers of the Concours d'Elegance of Texas are counting down to one of the state's biggest vintage motoring and luxury lifestyle events, scheduled to run from May 4-6. Visitors can look forward to a spectacular gathering of rare and exotic motorcars, historic military machinery, sports and racecars, antique motorcycles, vintage tractors, and even the odd stagecoach, promising a weekend celebration of classic motoring that offers something for the whole family. The Concours d'Elegance of Texas is on Sunday, May 6, and is held in conjunction with Worldwide Auctioneers' 11th annual Houston Classic Auction, scheduled for Saturday, May 5, when over 100 fine motorcars are slated to go under the hammer.
- Equipe Gordini: 1954 Formula One SeasonDuring the first year of the Formula 2 era in the World Championship the greatest threat Ferrari would face throughout the whole of the season would come from Equipe Gordini. However, Ferrari, and Alberto Ascari, would nonetheless dominate winning every single round of the championship that year. By the start of 1954, however, Equipe Gordini would be nothing more than a faint apparition of its former self. And yet, there would still be times when the dead would arise reminding people of their presence.
The biggest problem Equipe Gordini would face throughout the 1952 and 1953 seasons would be nagging unreliability. This would lead to Robert Manzon leaving the team and a number of other opportunities being washed down the drain. Heading into 1954, not all that much would change for the team. They would choose to adapt instead of prepare an all-new car. This would pose benefits, but it would also expose a weakness within the team.
- Rare 1940 Graham Hollywood Convertible Will Emerge at St. John'sThis 1940 Graham Hollywood Convertible, the only known surviving 2-passenger convertible, has not been seen since it went into storage in 1952.In 1963 while on vacation in Yarmouth, MA, Earl Parks was walking down Willow Street towards the beach, he spied what he thought was a Cord Convertible Coupe tucked away in a garage. He called his friend, Al San Clemente, who was a collector of Cords. Al told Earl to photograph the car and get the owner's phone number. Ultimately, even though the car wasn't a Cord, Al purchased the car.
- Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama, LLC Adding Third Production ShiftHyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama, LLC (HMMA) today announced plans to add a third shift of production at its Montgomery facility. HMMA will add 877 positions to support the addition of the third shift bringing the total number of jobs created at the plant to more than 3,000. HMMA's 2012 productio
- Third Annual Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival to Feature Moments in TimeThe Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival, the third annual event under that title, returns to Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., June 2-3, 2012, featuring 'Moments in Time: a Celebration of the History of Motorsports.' The program for the 26th annual historic-car event organized by General Racing L
- Million Dollar Motorcars meet Military Machines at the Concours d'Elegance of Texas this weekendOrganizers of the Concours d'Elegance of Texas are counting down to one of the state's biggest vintage motoring and luxury lifestyle events, scheduled to run from May 4-6. Visitors can look forward to a spectacular gathering of rare and exotic motorcars, historic military machinery, sports and racec
- Toyota Motor Sales Issues April 2012 Sales PreviewToyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., reported monthly sales of 178,044 units in April, up 25.5 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis and 11.6 percent on an unadjusted raw volume basis.
- Volkswagen Reports 31.5 Percent Increase in April U.S. Sales– Best April since 1971 marking the seventh month in a row in excess of 30 percent sales gains –
– Passat sales exceed 10,000 units for second record month in a row, with 10,096 sold–
• April sales total 37,525 units a 38 percent increase year-to-date
• Passat, the 2012 Motor Trend Car of the
- Audi sets all-time U.S. sales record for the month of April• Audi reports 16th consecutive month of record sales, marking the fourth-best month ever in U.S. for the brand
• April new vehicle sales up 15% to 11,521 vehicles sold in the U.S.
• Premium category vehicle sales (A8, A7, A6, and Q7) up 52% in April
Audi today reported record-setting April sa
- Toyota Sales Increase 11.6 Percent in April 2012TORRANCE, Calif. (May 1, 2012) – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported sales of 178,044 units, an increase of 25.5 percent compared to April 2011 on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis. Unadjusted for 24 selling days in April 2012 versus 27 selling days in April 2011, TMS sales
- GM Reports April Sales of 213,387 VehiclesGeneral Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) today reported April sales of 213,387 vehicles in the United States. Retail sales were essentially equal to April 2011. GM's fleet sales declined 25 percent due to the timing of rental customer deliveries, as previously indicated. As a result, total sales were down 8
- Mitsubishi Motors Reports April SalesMitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today reported April 2012 sales of 5,280 units, down 34.7 percent compared to April 2011.
'Currently our sales are impacted by our models whose production was completed last summer,' said MMNA President & CEO Yoichi Yokozawa. 'This is a condition that wil
- RM Auction Expands Global Presence With New California OfficeRM Auctions, the world's largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, is delighted to announce the opening of a new office in Los Angeles (Culver City), California.
Located at the heart of Southern California's car scene, the new office is part of RM's continued global