Bufori HistorySource: BuforiPassion – was how the first handmade Bufori was conceived 19 years ago in Australia which marks the start of a most exciting adventure taking the whole Khouri family to new heights around the world. The journey involved them with some truly amazing people in a business that has turned out to be extraordinary in its size. Bufori has carved notable achievements and will continue to grow to breathtaking levels.
From very humble beginnings, 'The Bufori Motor Car Company' has evolved and developed into a highly reputable and prestigious manufacturer of exotic hand made cars. It has attracted the attention of international editorial press and electronic media, as well as the richest buyers who are lovers of fine quality automobiles from around the world.
From its roots in Australia, Bufori became the only company producing motor vehicles to be licensed by the Advance Australia Council to carry the 'Australian Made Logo'.
Back in 1992, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia YM Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamed invited Bufori, Australia to set up a production facility in Malaysia. Since 1997, the Bufori production facilities moved to Kuala Lumpur and soon after, Bufori Motor Car Company (M) Sdn. Bhd. was incorporated.
In 1999, Bufori Motor Car Company (M) Sdn Bhd was issued a full motor vehicle Manufacturing Licence, followed shortly with all other necessary licenses and approvals as well as qualifying for pioneer status.
Between, 1997 and 1999, Bufori established and commissioned the production facility whilst recruiting and training the local workforce.
All manufacturing, Research and Development has been fully transferred to the new facility in Kuala Lumpur from Australia.
Bufori Motor Car Company (M) Sdn. Bhd under the helmsmanship of Founder and Managing Director; Gerry Khouri supported by his brothers, Anthony Khouri and George Khouri, as well as Malaysian shareholders, has unceasingly promoted the Bufori marquee with its ability to design, develop and produce world class vehicles to international standards attracting the attention of the international automotive industry.
Adopting quality as a trademark, Bufori has met the requirements of the Malaysian, Australian and European automotive standards just to name few. To date, all Bufori vehicles are certified by TUV, Germany (A German Accredited Certifying Body).
Currently, Bufori is also embarking on the ISO 9001:200 Quality Standard program. This continues to prove that Bufori is a result of uncompromising quality, commitment, passion and vision that has already made an indelible mark in the automotive world.
Media and Exhibitions
Bufori has continuously created publicity by participating in prestigious events such as the New York International Motor Show and the 60th IAA Frankfurt International Motor Show in 2003.
Year 2003 was also a milestone for Bufori when it was selected to be part of Malaysia's automotive history with the display of the Bufori MKI, MKII & MKIII La Joya at the Malaysian National Automotive Museum based at the Sepang International Circuit.
At Bufori, we are totally committed to building and designing cars with imagination that will steal the hearts of all who have the opportunity to experience them. Bufori embodies the collective genius and talent of our designers, engineers, and tradesmen. The Bufori is a new statement of pride. Collectively it is about pride of development, pride of manufacture, pride of uniqueness and ultimately pride of ownership.
Bufori will continue to custom build each car to reflect its exclusivity and uniqueness. It is a lifestyle product, which will be the owners pride and joy and a most unique collector's item. Bufori will always aim high and our achievements will always be higher.
If being different is being special, then we will always strive to be very special?
The 5th Generation - Bufori MK III La Joya
A masterpiece in its own right, this new addition to the family is a contemporary classic that discreetly embodies state of the art technology providing uncompromised safety, security and performance with luxurious finishing for its discerning owners.
This model is a direct result of the evolution from its predecessors. Dedicated hours of Research & Development and workmanship have resulted in this world class quality vehicle.
• 2 seater Coupe
• 2.7 Lt, V6, EFI, Quad Cam. Water cooled engine
• Rear wheel drive Mid - mounted engine
• Tiptronic Transmission
• 4 Wheel Independent Suspension
The 4th Generation - Bufori MK II - Series 1 & Series 2 (1992 – 2003)
• 2 & 2+2 seater Convertible c/w soft top and removable hard top
• 1.8 - 2.2 Lt, 4cyl, DOHC, EFI Water cooled Boxer Engine
• Rear wheel drive, Rear mounted Engine
• Auto / Manual Transmissions
• 4 Wheel Independent suspension
The 3rd Generation - Bufori V6i (1992 – 1994)
• 2+2 seater Convertible c/w retractable soft top
• 3.8 Lt, V6, EFI Water cooled engine
• Rear wheel drive front mounted engine
• Auto / Manual Transmission
• 4 Wheel Independent Suspension
The 2nd Generation - Bufori MK I (1988 – 1992)
• 2 seater Convertible c/w soft top
• 1.6 – 2.1 Lt, 4 cyl, Twin Carb, Air cooled Boxer Engine
• Rear wheel drive, Rear mounted engine
• Stick shift Auto / Manual Transmission
• 4 wheel Independent suspension
The 1st Generation - Bufori Madison (1986 – 1988)
• 2 seater Convertible c/w soft top
• 1.6 Lt, 4 cyl Air cooled Boxer engine
• Rear wheel drive, rear mounted engine
• Manual Transmission
• 4 wheel independent suspension
The Bufori Motor Car Company (M) Sdn. Bhd., a proprietary company limited by shares and registered in Malaysia on the 29th of July 1997. The company is actively seeking strategic dealers throughout Asia Pacific, Europe, and USA just to name a few to expand Bufori's global presence in the niche high end luxury motor car market.
Currently, the production facility in KL has an installed capacity of 300 vehicles per annum with an existing workforce of 110 employees and gearing up to increase to an additional of 150 employees to meet the installed capacity.
Behind the Bufori Name
The name Bufori was created by the 3 Khouri brothers from a collection of words describing the 1st Bufori.
B – Beautiful
U – Unique
O – Original
R – Romantic
I – Irresistible
Milestones – A 20 year History
• 1986 – The 1st Bufori MK I hand built and approved by the Australian Dept. of Transport (ADR).
• 1990 – The only company Licensed by the Australian Made Council to carry the Australian Made Logo.
• 1992 – The development and production of the V6 Front Engine Bufori with approval by the Australian Dept. of Transport (ADR).
• 1992 – The Former Prime Minister of Malaysia YM Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamed drove the Bufori in Pulau Langkawi and announced that he would like Bufori to be produced in Malaysia.
• 1994 – The Bufori MKII was conceptualised, designed, developed and manufactured in Sydney, Australia.
• 1996 – The Bufori MKII Series II facelift was released.
• 1998 – Bufori Motor Car Company (M) Sdn Bhd was incorporated.
• 1999 – Bufori Motor Car Company (M) Sdn Bhd was issued with a full Motor Vehicle Manufacturing Licence.
• 1999 – Vehicle Type Approval was issued by the Malaysian Department of Transport (JPJ), for the Bufori MKII.
• 1999 – Bufori Motor Car Company (M) Sdn Bhd was issued a World Manufacturer Identifier Code by the Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
• 1999 – Unveiling of the 1st Bufori made in Malaysia by YM Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamed.
• 2000– Participated in the 1st Merdeka Millennium Endurance Race on the 31st August. Finishing 5th place in Class A.
• 2001 – Bufori Documentary was featured on the Discovery Channel worldwide.
• 2002 – Agreements signed with Exclusive Distributors for S.Korea, USA, Europe and Australia.
• 2003 – Bufori MKIII Design Patents were registered in Malaysia, USA, and Europe.
• 2003 – The Bufori MKIII, La Joya was launched at the New York International Motor Show
• 2003 – The Bufori MKIII, La Joya made its debut at the 60th IAA Frankfurt International Motor Show.
• 2003 – Historic display of the Bufori MKI, MKII & MKIII La Joya at the Malaysian National Automotive Museum.
• 2004 – Commencement of reduced scale models of the Bufori MKVII, Limousine.
• 2004 – Vehicle Type Approval was issued by the Malaysian Department of Transport ('JPJ'), for the Bufori MKIII.
• 2004 – Commencement of ISO 9001-2000 Quality Program.
• 2004 – Bufori was featured in the National Television 'The Money Tree'.
• 2004 – Simultaneous deliveries of the Bufori MKIII to three Continents; Europe, Australia and Kuwait.
• 2004 – Commencement of development of the Bufori MKVI 4-door saloon
• 2005 – Vehicle Type Approval by the European Union and certified by TUV, Germany for the Bufori MKIII.
• 2005 – Vehicle Type Approval by the Australian Department of Transport for the Bufori MKIII.
• 2005 – Simultaneous deliveries to Singapore, China, Thailand, Hong Kong and Dubai.
• 2005 – Participated in the Top Marques Luxury and Supercar Motor Show in Shanghai, China.
• 2005 – Committed participation in the prestigious UAE, Dubai International Motor Show.