Wanderer HistoryIn 1932, four independent auto manufacturers came together to form Germany's second-largest automobile manufacturer, named Auto Union. This union between Audi, Horch, Wanderer, and D.K.W. was a merger formed with hopes of riding out Germany's economical problems and surviving this difficult point in history.
Saxony Staatsbank had begun the process with Horch, Audi and D.K.W. Wanderer was the last to come aboard. This union between these four company's was symbolized by the emblems of the four rings, which can still be seen on Audi automobiles today.
The Auto Union had much success during the 1930s with the Grand Prix racing cars. Drivers such as Bernd Rosemeyer, Tazio Nuvolari, and Hans Stuck piloeted the Auto Union vehicles to many victories.
Wanderer's main contribution to the Auto Union company was its Porsche-designed inline six-cylinder engine. The design was lightweight and had interchangeable cylinders. It was constructed in various sizes that included 1.7- and 2.3-liters.
The Wanderer Company officially went out of business due to the onset of World War II. The Siegmar and Schönau plants in Saxony were destroyed and production never resumed.