Home : Vehicles : 1940 LaSalle Series 50 Previous Image Prev   Next Next ImageGallery   
1940 LaSalle Series 50 Image
1940 LaSalle Series 50 informationEvent : Meadow Brook Concours d'EleganceImage credit: © Conceptcarz.com

1940 LaSalle Series 50 Wallpaper Image 1024x680

  1880
See previous images See previous images
See next images See next images

1940 LaSalle Series 501940 LaSalle Series 501940 LaSalle Series 501940 LaSalle Series 501940 LaSalle Series 501940 LaSalle Series 50
1940 LaSalle Series 501940 LaSalle Series 501940 LaSalle Series 50
8 Door Wagon
Coachwork: Meteor Motor Car Company
 
This very unusual 8-door 'woodie' station wagon was constructed by special order on a 1940 LaSalle commercial chassis. The chassis was delivered to Meteor Motor Car Company on February 6, 1940. Meteor, located in Piqua, Ohio, was one of the largest funeral car and flower car coachbuilders of the era. The firm was acquired in 1954 by Wayne Works of Richmond, Indiana and merged with Miller in 1956 to become Miller-Meteor.

This is the largest wood-bodied passenger vehicle known to have been built on a non-truck chassis and is the only 8-door woodie wagon known to exist. 1940 was the last year for the LaSalle, which had been introduced by GM as a companion car to Cadillac in 1927. The 1940 LaSalles were powered by a 322 cubic-inch V8 producing 130 horsepower.

This wagon originally served at Meadow Brook Hall and was used to take staff to town on their days off and to drive guests around the estate. It was donated in 1950 to the Pontiac Boys Club and eventually was obtained by the present owner, who resides in California.

A full restoration of this 8-door woodie was just completed. Fittingly, its showing at the 2007 Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance is its inaugural appearance as a fully renovated show vehicle.

LaSalle woody wagons are very unusual and only a very few were believed to be built. This unique vehicle consisting of 8 passenger doors was constructed by the Meteor Motor Company of Piqua, Ohio on a commercial chassis of 159-inches stretched out to 189.5-inches. Powered by a 332 cubic-inch flathead V8 this car is believed to have been ordered by Mrs. Matilda Dodge for use at her home: Meadow Brook Hall in Auburn Hills, Michigan.