The Ford Motor Company was incorporated on June 16, 1903. The first automobiles were built at Ford's small plant on Mack Avenue in Detroit. The first model produced by the new company was logically called the Model A. It was powered by a two-cylinder, eight horsepower engine that was coupled to a two-speed planetary transmission. The engine and transmission assembly were located underneath the body and connected to the rear axle by means of a chain. Nearly 700 Model A Fords were built and sold during the first year of production.
In early 1904, the Model A was improved by increasing the size of the engine to ten horsepower and adding a bigger flywheel and radiator. The new model was called a Model A/C and was built for only a few months during 1904 before it was replaced with a new model, called the Model C.
This rare 1904 Ford Model A/C was purchased by the current owner's father in 1961 from the Collingwood Ford Dealership in Findlay, Ohio. While largely complete, the vehicle was in need of a total restoration. Family and work commitments prevented the restoration of the rare Ford and in 1983, the vehicle was sold to another collector. The vehicle remained in unrestored condition was purchased by the current owner and given back to his father in 2000, who was finally able to complete the restoration in 2004.