In the late 1950s Alfa Romeo wanted a GT race car for privateer race teams, and it turned to the coachbuilder Zagato as an obvious partner. Alfa Romeo had already launched the Sprint Speciale, the SS high performance version of the Giulietta, in 1957. Zagato fitted an alloy body on the SS chassis that was considerably lighter, and Alfa named it the SZ. Mechanically the Giulietta SZ was very similar to the SS and shared its high compression 97-bhp 1,300cc engine. In 1961 a Kamm tail Coda Tronka version was introduced and called the SZ2. It was lower, slimmer, lighter and featured disc brakes on the front wheels. This is one of the last of the 30 Coda Tronka cars built, and the Italian Scuderia Sant' Ambroeus entered it at LeMans in 1963 and in the Targa Florio in 1964. The SZ was replaced by the TZ in 1962.