Hudson introduced their 'step-down' unibody models in 1948. This design had the passenger compartment down inside the perimeter of the frame that was an integral part of the body. Passengers would step down into a floor that was surrounded by the perimeter of the car's frame. This lead to a safer car with more passenger comfort and improved handling due to the lower center of gravity. Since that time, nearly all automakers have adopted this approach to packaging automobiles. In 1954, the company merged with Nash-Kelvinator to form American Motors Corporation in 1954.
In 1948, Mrs. Chapin commissioned Derham Body to convert this new Hudson into a limousine. The car has a roll-up divider window behind the driver. Much of the chrome and nameplates were removed and the car painted black with a padded top for a more formal appearance. It is the first of only three Hudson limousines built during this period.