Alanson P. Brush founded the Brush Runabout Company in 1906 in Detroit, Michigan. Alanson was a respected technical innovator though he had no formal technical training. His resume included working for Henry Leland's manufacturing company where he was engaged to solve design problems on the first Oldsmobiles, Buicks, and Cadillacs.
The Brush Company would be later absorbed into the United States Motor Company. The U.S. Motors collapsed in 1912 and would bring the end of the Brush automobiles.
The Brush automobiles were built using mainly Michigan hardwoods, with axles and wheels fabricated from hickory, frame and flooring from oak and the seat structure from poplar.
The Model D rode on an 80-inch wheelbase and powered by a single-cylinder engine offering 10 horsepower. The car weighed 950 pounds and cost $485.
A California man purchased this car and it remained in his family for three generations. In 2008, the current owner acquired the car from the original family in a partially assembled condition. The restoration work took two years to complete. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2010