Henry and Wilford LeLand's Lincoln Motor Company began producing Liberty airplane engines in 1917. Leland decided to enter the automobile production business after the contract for the Liberty engines were fulfilled. The first cars were produced in 1920 but by 1922, after facing financial difficulties, Lincoln was acquired by the Ford Motor Company. Edsel Ford took the helm and saw the need to upgrade the styling of the Lincoln product line. He enlisted the finest American coachbuilders to produce new stylish bodies for the company.
By 1930 Lincoln was well established as a premier luxury automobile manufacturer. They exhibited many special custom bodied cars at the major auto shows. Their popular L Series remained in production until 1930. The L series V-8 engine was upgraded in 1931 to the K Series and starting in 1934 all k's were powered with a 414 cubic-inch V12 engine producing 150 horsepower.
This car is body number 8 of 15 convertible roadsters built by LeBaron in 1937. It was originally sold in Long Island, NY and is believed to be one of only eight to survive. It was purchased by the current owner in 1964 for $600. Thirty-three years later, it started an eight year restoration.