Top Auction Sales
Monthly Sales and Production
1949 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith
1949 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith information
Gooding and Company - The Scottsdale Auction
Sedanca de Ville
Engine Num: W.88.C
Sold for $46,200 at
2012 Gooding & Company
The Silver Wraith, the first post-war Rolls Royce, marked the end of the coachbuilt era. The Silver Wraith was to be the last Rolls-Royce to be delivered on a chassis-only basis. Thus, many of the cars featured formal coachwork from traditional English coachbuilders.
This car, chassis number WDC 89, was delivered to H.J. Mulliner & Co. Ltd on January 12th of 1949. When it left their factory it had been clothed with Sedanca de Ville coachwork. It had two sideways-facing occasional seats, folding tables, a rear radio and other luxurious feathers. It was finished in black with tan Connolly leather and featured walnut woodwork.
Delivered through A. Owen Ltd. in late August 1949, L. Harris Esq. received his new car and servicing was recorded well into 1953. The car was sold in 1958 and quickly resold that year to Anthony M. Sandle.
In 1954, the car was purchased by London law firm Messrs. Evill & Coleman Ltd. In 1965, it was purchased by automobile dealer Bob Cochran of Eugene, Oregon while he was visiting England. The car arrived in the United States in 1966 and eventually sold to Larry Campbell in 1969. The car was traded to his business partner Dan Leahy in 1973 in exchange for ownership of their real estate company. The car was left in Leahy's garage until July 2011 when it was purchased by the current owner.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona. It had a pre-auction estimated value of $45,000 - $60,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $46,200 inclusive of buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2012