By the middle of the 1950s a change had taken place. Unfortunately another was greatly needed. Thankfully, this need for a change would produce one very special one-off design composed of such great elements that make a car extremely historic and pri....[continue reading]
Enzo Ferrari was determined to win the 1955 Racing Championship over very tough competition. That meant Ferrari had to win the last race of the season, which was the race-car-killing 1000-mile Carrera Panamericana. His only change was to build the fi....[continue reading]
Ferrari built four examples of their 410 Sports cars for the grueling Carrera Panamericana road race in Mexico. The Ferrari 410S CM (Carrera Messicana) was developed for the Carrera Panamericana in Mexico from the 1954 24 Hours of Le Mans winning 375....[continue reading]
Berlinetta by Scaglietti
Chassis #: 0594CM
Chassis #: 0598CM
Chassis #: 0592CM
In 1949 the Ferrari twelve-cylinder engine was 1.5 liters in size; by 1953 the size had grown to 5-liters. In 1954 a 375 Plus, powered by a 4.9 liter engine, was entered in the grueling 24 Hours of LeMans where it captured the overall victory. Further development of the engines continued with the focus slowly shifting towards six-cylinder capacities. The idea was that a lighter, smaller, more compact engine could prove to be a potent contendor against the larger engines. The smaller engines were also more fuel efficient.
Before full development of the six-cylinder engines progressed, a final set of V-12 powered cars were constructed. The 410 was built around and 'long block' engine and constructed for the newly built Mexican speedway. Dubbed the Carrera Panamerica, it featured many long and straight sections. The powerful 4962 cc engine produced 380 horsepower while the five-speed manual transaxle was perfect for high speeds. An unstable chassis had been the biggest problem for the 375 series, so Ferrari designed a shortened oval tube frame and reinforced it with triangular cross-braces for the 410. Handling was improved by moving the engine as far back as possible. Large drum brakes, mounted in a position that would allow ample cooling, were placed on all four corners to allowed controlled stopping at blistering high speeds.
The body was handled by Scaglietti, a coachbuilder notorious for his lightweight designs and streamlined designs. Only two 410 S work cars were created: chassis number 0596 CM and 0598 CM. The 'S', or 'Sport', cars were factory works cars. A small number of customer cars were created, their 'S' designation represented 'Speciale'. The customer cars were primarily designed for racing, but one of the cars, the fourth one constructed, was built for Michael Cavallier, Ferrari's board of directors as a road going car.
The Ferrari 410 S model's were completed and ready for the Mexican road rally. Unfortunately, the race was canceled due to insufficient personnel to guard the road-ways from spectators, poor road conditions, and a large number of fatal accidents in previous races. The two works cars with their Tipo 126 C engines would have to wait another day for their debut.
The international racing career for the works cars was very limited with their only appearance occurring at the 1956 Buenos Aires Grand Prix were both cars retired after suffering mechanical difficulties. One of the works cars was later sold to Sture Nottorp, a Swedish privateer, who had mild success on the racing circuit. The other went to an American privateer who, with the help of drivers such as Carroll Shelby, racked up numerous victories.
Since that time, the cars have been sold to private collectors where they have undergone restorations and been campaigned at vintage racing events and concours's through the United States.
Ferrari 410S Spyder with chassis 0596CM and body by Scaglietti had an extensive racing career beginning in 1956. Driven by Peter Collins at the Buenos Aires 1,000 KM it retired early from the race and failed to finish.
In 1958 it was sent to the United States and sold to Danielson. His driver, Hudson, actively raced the 410S throughout the United States for a few years before returning it back to Europe and sold once again. It stayed in a French collection for a number of years before being sold in 1995 to the Symbolic Motor Car Company. It was sold again in 1996 and 2001.
It was recently awarded Best of Show in the Competition Car Class at the Cavallino Classic. In 2004 it won a Class Award at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
It is one of only two built and was a factory team racer for a number of years. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2010
One of Italys most famous marks, and perhaps most troubled, the trident-bearing automaker continues to provoke passion through its search of excellence.
Five brothers would come together in December...
The race would be long past its scheduled starting time. What happened? How long to wait? What if the race takes place without him? In so many ways, this aura of uncertainty surrounding a motor race would...