1923 Checker H-2 news, pictures, and information
The Checker Cab cars were originally powered by a four-cylinder Lycoming engine. By the late 1920s, this had been changed in favor of a six-cylinder unit. For 1923, Checker produced the Model H-2, an improved version of the original Checker Model H and was only produced for one year. The cab was based on the original Commonwealth passenger car and fitted with a heavy-duty clutch and suspension to handle the grueling demands of taxi service. On the exterior there was a distinct and memorable checkerboard pattern along the beltline, a logo and little checkered lenses on its parking lamps. At all four corners were solid steel disc wheels.
This 1923 Checker is the only example known to survive. It was owned by Checker Motors since 1960 and displayed at the factory and the 1962 Detroit Auto Show. The car was put on display at the Gilmore Car Museum in 1995 and donated to the museum in June of 2010.
© 1998-2012. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.