For 1948 and 1949, Chrysler Corporation's Dodge Truck Division introduced its first all-new truck in nearly a decade. Their light and medium-duty trucks featured an industry-leading 'pilot house' cab which increased the height and area of the glass windscreen which improved driver visibility. The engines were shifted forward and the front axle set back, resulting in a shorter wheelbase, wider front track and improved over-all weight distribution. Load-carrying capacity was increased by 40 percent over previous models by adding higher and wider cargo bed sides.
This particular example is in original, unrestored condition with just 28,500 miles on the odometer.
Power the truck is a 218 cubic-inch L-head six-cylinder engine offering nearly 100 horsepower. There is a three-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2010