Chassis Num: 475818
Engine Num: 310003
The famous water-going Amphicar vehicle was designed by Hans Trippel. Trippel's project prior to the Amphicar was the Weidner Condor, which was introduced to the world at the 1957 Geneva Auto Show. The car was built by farm equipment manufacturers Fritz and Reinhold Weidner. The body is comprised of the most expensive material available in the 1950s, including fiberglass integrated onto a steel chassis. The body was provided by the Binz factory and was a streamline and elegant design. Power was from a three-cylinder, two-stroke, water-cooled, rear-mounted Heinkel engine that produces 32 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and it has a top speed of 80 mph.
The Weidner was admired by the public for its design and its technical prowess, but its price tag was too steep to make the vehicle practical or competitive.
There were 200 examples of the Weidner Condors produced. It is believed that only two examples are still in existence.