All-New 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Gives Customers MoreChevrolet's First Global Midsize for Customers in Nearly 100 Markets on Six Continents
- All-new exterior designed to stand out around the world
- All-new, dual-cockpit interior wîth more room, more quietness, more premium materials and content, and greater craftsmanship
- All-new, fuel-efficient, 2.5L four-cylinder Ecotec engine wîth next-generation six-speed automatic powertrain
- All-new ride and handling package engineered for best-in-class performance
- All-new, aerodynamically efficient shape and active shutter system save fuel and reduce wind noise
- All-new Chevrolet MyLink in-car infotainment system integrates online services like Pandora® Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®
- New radio face that articulates up and down revealing a six-inch-deep hidden storage compartment, a first for a Ú.S. midsize sedan
- New safety features including 10 air bags, lane departure/forward collision warning system and a rearview camera system
- On sale in the Ú.S. in 2012
DETROIT and SHANGHAI – The all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu made its global debut today, wîth simultaneous introductions in the Únited States and China – two of the nearly 100 countries on six continents where it will be sold. Chevrolet's first global midsize sedan will provide customers from Shanghai to New York and Sydney to Sao Paulo wîth expressive design, advanced technologies, ride performance and fuel-efficient powertrains.
'The current Malibu has left an award-winning impression and changed the way people think about Chevrolet. It redefined what an American midsize car could be,' said Rick Scheidt, vice president, Chevrolet Marketing. 'This all-new Malibu delivers on the intangibles of today's Malibu but gives customers even more: more style, fuel efficiency, content and features, craftsmanship, and dynamic capabilities rivaling high-end sedans.'
Product highlights for North American models include:
- All-new, fuel-efficient and powerful 2.5L four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed automatic that lead Malibu's powertrain lineup
- Expressive exterior design wîth a wide, athletic stance
- Segment-best aerodynamics – close to those of the Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car – that enhance fuel efficiency and reduce wind noise, including active electronic shutters on select models
- All-new, Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit interior that is more spacious, features premium materials and is engineered to be the quietest in the midsize §egmènt
- New Chevrolet MyLink connectivity seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®
- European-influenced ride and handling traits
- New safety features and technologies including 10 air bags, ultra-high-strength steel, lane departure warning/forward collision warning and rearview camera system
Expressive and efficient exterior
'The exterior design of the all-new Malibu carries DNA from its sister vehicles, the Camaro and Corvette, to bring a sporty sensibility to the family sedan §egmènt,' said Bryan Nesbitt, executive director for GM exterior design and Chevrolet Brand Champion.
A wider stance, broad shoulders and an integrated rear spoiler bring a new athleticism to Malibu and give it a more aggressive appearance. The new Malibu has a 4.5-inch (114 mm) shorter wheelbase and 62-inch (1,574 mm) front and rear tracks that are more than 2 inches (51 mm) wider than the model it replaces.
Other exterior design cues include Chevrolet's dual-port grille, projector HID headlamps, larger Chevrolet bow-tie badges front and rear, and new Camaro-inspired LED dual-element taillamps. The look is complemented by a range of large 17-, 18- and 19-inch wheels.
The new Malibu exterior is anticipated to be SAE-certified as one of the most aerodynamically efficient cars in the §egmènt, wîth a coefficient of drag (Cd) rating near Chevrolet Volt's Cd of .280. Because of Malibu's new shape and design, engineers were able to remove 60 counts of wind drag compared to the model it replaces.
Malibu also has electronically controlled and integrated active aero shutters (select models in North American markets) to improve aerodynamics and enhance fuel economy without sacrificing the exterior design.
Malibu's active shutter system automatically closes airflow through the lower intake opening when air intake is least needed. When closed, the shutter system enhances aerodynamic performance by redirecting airflow around the front of the vehicle and down the sides, rather than through it. Whether the shutter is open or closed depends on engine coolant temperature and speed – for example, the shutters open when the car is traveling up a hill, pulling a trailer, or in hot city driving; the shutters close at highway speeds when less engine cooling is required.
Roomier, more refined interior
The new Malibu interior was designed to bring an element of sophistication to everyday driving, featuring an all-new dual cockpit design that creates an inviting, roomy and comfortable environment.
The increased width of the new Malibu means a more spacious cabin. Compared to the previous model, it has nearly 4 cubic feet (113 L) of additional interior volume, along wîth more shoulder and hip room.
The Malibu interior features metallic, chrome or wood accents located around the shifter, surrounding the center stack, around the instrument cluster and on doors and the §teering wheel. Soft, ice blue ambient lighting reflects off of and complements chrome accents and ensures even, consistent illumination along the instrument panel and in storage pockets. Ice blue lighting on the center stack dials, exposed ice blue French contrast stitching, soft-touch and textured surfaces, and strategic applications of noise-deadening materials add to Malibu's interior refinement.
The Malibu also has a number of storage areas, including a radio face that articulates up and down to reveal a six-inch deep storage area behind its seven-inch touch-screen radio display – a Ú.S. first in a midsize car. Malibu will also offer a full range of the latest infotainment options, including new color radio systems and an available navigation system.
Malibu will include Chevrolet's new MyLink infotainment package at launch. It builds on the safety and security of OnStar and seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®. MyLink integrates wireless connectivity through Bluetooth to enable hands-free use of selected smart phone apps while the device remains safely stowed.
MyLink features a high-resolution, full-color touch screen display designed to manage the number of steps required to complete a task. MyLink also adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smart phones, building on the Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevrolet vehicles.
All-new 2.5L powertrain
The 2013 Malibu features a global lineup of fuel-efficient and powerful four-cylinder engines that complements its European-inspired driving characteristics.
An all-new Ecotec 2.5L dual overhead cam, four-cylinder engine wîth direct injection leads Malibu's engine lineup in North America. It is expected to be one of the most efficient of its size in the market. New features include enhanced authority continuously variable valve timing, variable-displacement oil pump and electronic thermostat that save fuel, while delivering V-6-like performance. It is estimated the engine will be SAE-certified at more than 190 horsepower (141 kW) and 180 lb.-ft. of torque (245 Nm). The new engine has noise-reducing features such as a cast exhaust manifold, steel crank, low-noise timing chain and direct mount accessories that contribute to a quiet-cabin experience.
The 2.5L is mated to a Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic wîth features designed to enhance powertrain efficiency. They include changes to clutch controls and hardware that improves shift response and time. These changes enabled engineers to specify higher gearing to improve cruising efficiency while maintaining acceleration performance and driveability.
| ||Vital Stats|
|Engine : 2.5 L., 4-cylinder|
Power: 190 hp
Torque: 180 ft-lbs
The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu delivers precise ride and handling. It has been engineered to be best-in-class and on par wîth more expensive sports sedans.
Benefiting from continuous refinement of an award-winning global architecture, engineers have tested, tuned and calibrated the Malibu on rural roads, highways, freeways and GM validation facilities around the world.
Contributing to the Malibu's ride and handling characteristics are:
- A solid body structure as stiff as any in the global midsize sedan market, allowing for precise tuning and dynamic vehicle control
- A premium §teering gear for smooth, precise responsiveness and on-center feel
- Proven and continuously refined MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspensions
- Large, ventilated front disc and solid rear disc brakes, clamped on by dual-piston front and single-piston rear aluminum calipers, which are expected to deliver §egmènt-best stopping distance
- An isolated engine cradle for tuned, refined feedback, without noise or vibration
- Fuel-saving electric power rack-and-pinion variable-effort power §teering, resulting in effortless low-speed maneuvers and a higher degree of §teering feel at higher speeds
- Chassis control technologies include four-channel anti-lock brakes, full-function traction control, four-corner electronic stability control, electronic brake force distribution, brake assist system, corner brake control, hydraulic brake fade assist and drag torque control. Safety features
When it comes to safety features, the new Malibu will be one of the best-equipped in the §egmènt. The Malibu will also be pedestrian protection-compliant in all markets where it is sold, and for the first time in North America. Pedestrian protection design in the front of the vehicle reduces the chance of secondary collision between the pedestrian and engine block in car-pedestrian accidents.
The Malibu will also offer these standard and available safety features:
- Dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags
- Driver and front passenger pelvic/thorax side-impact air bags
- Driver and passenger knee air bags
- Roof rail air bags wîth rollover protection
- Available second-row head/thorax side-impact air bags
- Available lane departure warning system wîth forward collision alert
- Available rearview camera system
OnStar is also included in Malibu's safety features and includes Automatic Crash Response, as well as improved voice recognition technology, remote diagnostics, remote door unlock, Stolen Vehicle Slowdown and six months of uplevel Directions and Connections service that includes Turn-By-Turn Navigation.
The new Malibu comes in LS, LT and LTZ trim levels, wîth 10 exterior colors and four interior color combination choices in North America, depending on the model. Malibu production in the Únited States begins in early 2012. It will be built in multiple locations around the globe, including the Fairfax, Kan. and Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plants in the Únited States. Pricing will be announced later this year.