This 1920 HCS Special is a replica of the 1920 Stutz HCS Special that was used as the Pace car for the 1921 Indy 500 race.
In 1919 Harry Stutz left the Stutz Company to form his own concern call HCS Motor Car Company in Indianapolis. The car series #208 indicates it was produced early in the four-year existence of the company.
Power is from a 50 horsepower engine and a there is a 2-passenger rumble seat. The car has been detailed to represent the HCS roadster used as the pace car for the 1921 Indy 500.
After Harry C. Stutz resigned from the company bearing his name, he announced a new companying using the initials from his name would be formed. The H.C.S. Motor Car Company was formed in Indianapolis, Indiana was produced vehicles from 1920 to 1925.
The first H.C.S. vehicles were the Series II that had a 120 inch wheelbase and was powered by a four-cylinder engine that offered 50 horsepower. Two bodystyles were available, a four-passenger touring and a roadster.
In 1923, Tommy Milton drove an H.C.S. to victory at the Indianapolis 500, though it was comprised of many components from Miller.
In October of 1924, harry Stutz announced the formation of his H.C.S. Cab manufacturing Company which succeeded the H.C.S. Motor Car Company. Emphasis was now on taxicabs rather than passenger cars. The last H.C.S. production cars were built in 1925. The H.C.S. Cab Manufacturing Company went into receivership a short time later, in 1927. The bad news continued, as Harry C. Stutz died in 1930. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2011