Image credits: © Mazda.
2011 Mazda Minagi Concept news, pictures, and information
World Premiere Mazda MINAGI ConceptThe Mazda MINAGI concept car embodies Mazda's new SKYACTIV technologies and new KODO design language, signaling the way for the next generation of Mazda cars to come.
The MINAGI concept makes its world premiere at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show as the expression of Mazda's new SKYACTIV technologies and new KODO design language. It is the first model which showcases characteristics likely to be seen in the next generation of Mazda cars.
For this reason, Mazda has fully incorporated its SKYACTIV technologies into every aspect of driving performance, including the powertrain, chassis, and even body design. As the second concept vehicle to incorporate Mazda's new 'KODO – Soul of Motion' design language, MINAGI challenges conventions wîth emotional design and exhilarating performance.
While SHINARI was a pure design concept to express the full potential of KODO design, MINAGI gives a glimpse of the next generation of products to come. As the second concept car to adopt Mazda's KODO design theme, MINAGI's design elements combine the expression of energy pulsing throughout the vehicle wîth the keen agility to move about freely and nimbly. With its upright, compact packaging, MINAGI offers a vision of KODO design that is different to SHINARI, yet it shares the same sinuous, powerful stance.
'I wanted to convey something different from the Mazda SHINARI. I felt a compact crossover SÚV was the perfect vehicle to express agility and focused movement; the flexibility of four limbs moving in unison, and an upright posture.'
The Mazda MINAGI is a stylish expression of pent-up energy. In Japanese, its name conjures up the image of an object pulsating wîth energy and perfectly reflects the vehicle's speed, agility and spirited character. For MINAGI, Mazda designers looked at different aspects of cheetahs as they hunt. A cheetah's head is positioned high, while long, powerful and supple limbs hold its lean torso upright to enable it to change direction quickly at high speed. Mazda's designers set out to evoke the moment when an animal contracts its muscles, ready to sprint and lunge at its prey. Furthermore, such a lunge can be in any direction; an idea which fits wîth the function of an agile crossover SÚV as it nimbly darts through a sprawling cityscape.
Major features of the Mazda MINAGI Concept
An urban-friendly compact crossover SÚV which combines emotional design wîth exhilarating performance
• Mazda MINAGI is the first concept car to fully adopt Mazda's SKYACTIV technologies and new 'KODO – Soul of Motion' design and it represents Mazda's next generation of products
• Mazda's unique compact crossover SÚV for urban explorers fuses emotional design – which conveys a lively ability to quickly leap into action and head in any direction – wîth the driving pleasure and outstanding environmental and safety performance of SKYACTIV technologies
• KODO design elements adopted by this compact crossover SÚV express pulsating energy and a nimble ability to move about freely
KODO design embodied in the form of a compact crossover SÚV Proportions
• The vehicle's crouched stance expresses the image of a cheetah as it stands wîth its weight poised on its hind legs, ready to lunge at its prey
• The cargo bay of conventional SÚVs often resembles a vehicle wearing a backpack, whereas MINAGI presents an image of a muscular entity that cleanly incorporates spaciousness within well-toned lines
• Placing the A-pillar rearward emphasizes the rearward orientation of the cabin. This stands in sharp contrast to the single-arc silhouette of frontward A-pillar placement on minivans, and emphasizes the driving position - a priority for the design of the MINAGI concept
• The cabin's position relative to the lower body is further back than on conventional SÚVs. This emphasizes the motion expressed in MINAGI's form
• The chromed 'signature wing' on the front fascia, shared wîth SHINARI, makes MINAGI immediately recognizable as a Mazda and creates a strong impression
• Angling the front grille slightly downwards, while juxtaposing the headlamp housings design to slant upward, creates intensity
• Adding more dynamic contours to the prominent front fenders – highly characteristic of Mazda cars – expresses KODO design language's forceful sense of accumulating, then instantly releasing pent-up energy. These elements combine wîth the dynamic form of the rear fenders further emphasizing the wheels, which form the legs of this predator
• Sculpted lines along the sides of MINAGI's body accentuate a sense of power which suggest the supple strength of a cheetah. These contours extend and connect wîth the rear fender in an expression which suggests the powerful musculature that joins the cheetah's shoulders and hips to its legs
• The overall effect is a graceful and beautiful form which directs the eye from front-to-rear
• The character line that flows along the lower part of MINAGI's side panels symbolizes KODO's sense of power being accumulated, then quickly released
• The rear fenders project boldly outward to create a wide, stable stance befitting an SÚV
• The contrast between the rear fenders and the taut lines of the car's rear end mimics the strong and seductive hip line of a toned athlete
• As wîth SHINARI, the chromed 'signature wing' that sweeps up from the bottom of the front grille disappears into the center of the headlamp housings dramatically
• The design of the three-dimensional headlamp and rear combination lamps add a heightened sense of depth
• The line of the 'signature wing' element and the headlamp design combine to express the intense look of a wild animal's gaze
High quality expressed in every detail heightens anticipation of an exhilarating drive Aims
• Mazda's designers set out to realize a driver-focused cockpit and cabin environment that expresses a reassuringly high level of strength and solidity. The interior employs quality materials along wîth the superior fit and finish of detailed hand craftsmanship
• The above features add to the anticipation of the driving pleasure to come by creating a refined and quality cabin environment
• The main black interior colour is highlighted by the colour red in the rear seatbacks and at the bottom of the door armrests
Characteristics unique to a compact crossover SÚV
• Four upright satin chrome struts appear to support the instrument panel, each rising upward in an image of vertical strength which appears to defy gravity, underscoring the impression that MINAGI's occupants are securely protected
• The design of the instrument cluster and surrounding switches emphasizes the snug, sporty nature of the driver-focused cockpit while expressing Mazda's sporty ethos
• Leather seats and door trim have been fashioned using the finest leather available
• Skilled craftsmen have carefully sewn the striking raised pleats, a touch that expresses the interior's high level of quality
• The 'black smoked' coating on the dark tinted horizontal metal panel – positioned along the center of the instrument panel – shows the high quality of the interior components
• Solid metal components, including the door handles, are milled from solid aluminium and carefully polished to provide a smooth, quality-enhancing surface. The door levers are designed to resemble the beauty and functionality of high-end racing bicycle components, and provide a level of quality that ensures they are a pleasure to useSource - Mazda
|Mazda Reports April Sales Results|
|IRVINE, Calif. (May 1, 2013) - Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported April U.S. sales of 19,894 vehicles, representing a decrease of 7.5 percent versus last year. Year-to-date sales through April are down 5.2 percent versus last year, with 98,177 vehicles sold. Lead by Mazda CX-5 with 6,262 units sold, equating to an increase of 78.0 percent year-over-year, SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY vehicles accounted for 74.4 percent of total vehicle sales for Mazda, with 14,795 vehicles so...[Read more...]|
|Mazda Cx-5 Named 'Top Family Choice Vehicle' By Greater Atlanta Automotive Media Association|
|WASHINGTON, April 29, 2013 -- The Greater Atlanta Automotive Media Association (GAAMA) yesterday named the 2013 Mazda CX-5 its 'Top Family Choice Vehicle' and the all-new 2014 Mazda6 'Best Green Family Choice Vehicle' at its first annual Family Choice Challenge. GAAMA President Nick Palermo said, 'The CX-5 was the clear winner for the overall 'Top Family Choice Vehicle' award. It's stylish, affordable, has comfortable seating and great fuel economy and is fun to drive.' The 2013 CX-...[Read more...]|
|SPEEDSOURCE READY FOR AUSTIN GRAND-AM RACE|
|Driver Line-ups for #70 and #00 Mazda6 SKYACTIV-D Clean Diesels Set Now that the months of new car preparation and the season opening Rolex 24 at Daytona are memories, the SpeedSource team is ready for the next task -- the first ever professional sports car race at the new Formula1 track, Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Austin, Texas. All GRAND-AM teams will be racing there for the first time, so well-prepared teams will be at an advantage. SpeedSource is among the best prepared team...[Read more...]|
|MAZDA ANNOUNCES JANUARY SALES RESULTS|
|IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 1, 2013 - Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported January U.S. sales of 21,319 vehicles, representing a decrease of 11.2 percent versus last year. Key January sales notes: Mazda CX-5 achieved second-best month ever with 5,244 vehicles sold. Mazda3 hits second best January sales since its launch in 2003 with 8,074 vehicles. SKYACTIV®1 TECHNOLOGY accounted for 74.0 percent of Mazda3 sales in January. Mazda5 records best January sales ever with an...[Read more...]|
|MAZDA REPORTS AUGUST SALES|
|Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported August U.S. sales of 22,234 vehicles, representing a decrease of 1.8 percent (5.4 percent DSR) versus last year. Year-to-date sales through August are up 11.8 percent (11.3 percent DSR) versus last year, with 185,349 vehicles sold. Key August sales notes: •Mazda CX-5 continues to exceed expectations, posting a best ever sales number of 4,665 units in the month of August. Because of high customer interest in CX-5, the vehicle has ...[Read more...]|
|Other models by Mazda|
|Related Articles and Event Coverage|
|2011 Geneva Salon International de l'Auto|
© 1998-2012. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.