1928 Amilcar C6 news, pictures, and information
Chassis Num: 39
The C6 was powered by a 1100cc twin-cam six-cylinder engine fed by a Roots-type blower and advanced dry sump lubrication system. The engine offered 60 horsepower which was an impressive figure considering the cars 1200 lbs overall weight. This made the C6 a genuine miniature grand prix car. It came with Spartan, two-piece bodywork, twin rev-counters and intricate controls. Pricing began at 60,000 francs, putting it somewhere between a Bugatti 37 and Bugatti 35A.
The C6s would race (and win) in many events well into the 1950s.
This example, chassis number 39, is one of only a few examples in the United States and has a history that can be traced back to the period just after World War II. The first known owner of this car was a 20-year-old man named Mr. Thompson who had just returned to the US from military service in the south of France. By this point in history, the car had already been retrofitted with makeshift cycle fenders and road equipment.
In the 1950s, the car was brought over to the United States and sold to Otto Linton of Philadelphia around 1953. While in Mr. Linton's care, the car was treated to a restoration where it was meticulously rebuilt from the frame up. Upon completion, it was finished in French Racing Blue.
The car would pass through several more owners over the years, and would participate in many racing and well-known touring events including the Colorado Grand and the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.
In 2011, the car was brought to Pebble Beach and offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction. It was estimated to sell for $750000 - $850000. It would leave the auction unsold after unable to find a willing buyer capable of satisfying the vehicle's reserve.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
CGS and CGSS