Sold for $709,500 at 2011 Gooding & Company. Sold for $2,200,000 at 2014 Rick Cole Auctions. By the late 1950s, Ferrari had a worldwide dealership network and was represented in seventeen countries by forty-one dealers including twelve in Italy alone. This success was due, in part, to the Ferrari 250 GT family of models. By 1958 the 250 GT coupes, designed for touring, were being produced alongside the dual-purpose race/road 250 GT Berlienttas. A cabriolet was the next logical evolution to extend the range and expand the market potential.
The first 250 Cabriolet bodied by Pinin Faraina was known as the ‘Ariowitch' cabriolet after the vehicle's first owner. It was produced in 1953 and based on one of the short run of Lampredi-engined 250 Europas. When the 250 Europa GTs with their Colombo-designed engine came out, not one was a cabriolet, so the one-off did not inspire immediate production. This would change with the Bonna/Ellena cars which were built between 1956 and 1958. At the 1956 Geneva Motor Show, the first 250 GT Cabriolet was introduced and it would the work of Felice Mario Boano. A Pinin Farina-designed cabriolet appeared at Geneva a year later. It was again based on the 250 GT platform. This vehicle later became the property of Ferrari racing driver, Peter Collins and was the first of four Pinin farina Cabriolet prototypes. A short time later, the vehicle became even more 'special' when the driver fitted Dunlop disc brakes, making it the first Ferari to be equipped with them.
The second prototype had a cut down windscreen and a faired in headrest, in similar fashion to the Scaglietti-built racing cars. Pinin Farina called it the 'Spyder Competitizone.' The third example was built for the 1957 Paris Salon and the fourth was sold to Aga Khan.
From 1957 through August of 1959, Ferrari built 36 examples of the 250 GT Cabriolet. These vehicles would later be known as Series I.
The Ferrari 250 GT coupe was launched in 1958. These were very important to both Ferrari and Pinin Farina as it was a standard production vehicle aided at increasing output. Pininfarina prepared for this by moving into a new factory. Ferrari set up its first assembly line.
The first planned series of two hundred cars were sold well in advance and were well received. An open variant was planned, and at the 1959 Paris Salon, the Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet Series II was launched. By this point in history, the Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder was in production and had an exterior appearance similar to the Series I Cabriolet. Ferrari wanted to the Series II cars to have significant changes so they could be easily distinguished from the California models.
Using the lessons learned from the Series I, the Series II were more accommodating and luxurious with a larger boot; in all, a more practical grand touring car. Power came from the latest Colombo V12 engine with outside plugs, coil valve springs and 12-port cylinder heads. They had disc brakes and a four-speed gearbox with overdrive. Production began in late 1959 and lasted until 1962. The most expensive car in the 250 GT range was the Series II Cabriolet. In total, just 201 examples of the Series II Ferrari 250 GT Pininfarina Cabriolets were produced.
Chassis number 3807 GT is the very last of the Series II Pininfarina Cabriolets built. It was delivered as a bare chassis to Pininfarina on June 1st of 1962 and was returned to Maranello on October 17th of that year. The car was finished in Marrone Italver over a Pelle Naturale interior, the same livery it wears today.
Just after completion, the car was sent to Jacques Swaters' Garage Francorchamps in Brussels, Belgium. From there it was sold to Mr. Albinus on November 17th of 1962. It was traded back to Garage Francorchamps a few years later. In 1968, they sold it to Mr. Von Rudjisch. It was later traded back and subsequently sold in 1969 to Mr. Bouvier before finally being re-acquired by the Brussels dealership for a sale to America. It was exported to the United States in 1972. In 1973, it was acquired by Bob Pellkofer of Santa Barbara, California. By this point in history, it was painted black. Mrs. Pellkofer sold the car to her father-in-law, Ernest M. Pellkofer, after her husband passed away in 1977.
In 1991, after nearly 2 decades in the Pellkofer family, the car was sold to Mansour Ojjeh. In May of 1994, the car was treated to an engine rebuild. Detailing and minor paintwork was also performed at the time. At the time, the odometer showed 06071 KM, most likely representing 106,071 km total mileage.
Earle Ady purchased the car in 2001, selling it a short time later to Dr. Joel Stein of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Dr. Stein began a restoration that brought it back to its original glory. When the work was completed, it won a Platinum Award at the 2002 Cavallino Classic in Palm beach, Florida. By June of 2008, it was in the care of the present owner.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, California. It was estimated to sell for $550,000-$650,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $709,500 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
By 1954, the majority of road-going Ferraris were bodied to the design of Battista Pinin Farina with Scaglietti handling most of the sports racing models. From then until 1973 when the Bertone-designed 308GT4 was announced, the design efforts of othe [Read More...]
Sold for $1,705,000 at 2015 RM Sothebys. The Ferrari 250 series helped sent the stylistic and cultural tone for the company and was their crowning achievement of the 1950s and early 1960s. Personalization and owner's wishes continued to be paramount at Ferrari, allowing buyers to select eve [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2015
Production of the 250 Series began in 1954 and continued on through the early part of the 1960's. There were numerous variations of the 250 and would ultimately become Ferrari's most successful line of vehicles to date. The 250 is also recognized as the first Ferrari to ever receive disc brakes. This did not take place until the end of the 1950's. Also, the 250 was the first four-seater.
Ferrari's were custom built cars. They were not mass-produced. Ferrari provided the engine and chassis while Italian coach builders provided the body. This meant the specifications varied. Engines also varied in horsepower rating, torque, and displacement. This was no different for the 250 GT which saw many different variations in body style and body types.
Ferrari built the road-going Ferrari's to fuel his passion for racing. Many of the vehicles he built for the road had a competition model. That is, a modified version of the road-going model. An example of this was the 1959 short-wheel base (SWB) Berlinetta (Berlinetta which means coupe) and given an aluminum body. It was debuted in October 1959 at the Paris Salon. GT cars were road-legal vehicles that could also be taken to the track and compete without the need for modifications. Although this was their purpose, Ferrari realized that many customers would not race their vehicle, but rather wanted the power and performance that sports cars offered. To comply, Ferrari built these cars to be powerful and luxurious. The vehicles could still be run on the track, mostly on requiring the adoption of stickers and complying with any safety requirements.
The 250 road-going vehicles mostly shared two wheelbase sizes, a 2400 mm and 2600 mm. The 2400 wheelbase were referred to as the SWB (Short wheel base) while the other was the LWB (long wheel base).
The base engine was a Colombo 60-degree, single-over-head cam, 'vee' type 12-cylinder, with aluminum alloy block and heads, and cast-iron cylinder liners. The displacement was 180 cubic inch (2953 cc). Horsepower production was around 220-260. The front suspension was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The rear suspension was a live axle.
The first 250 introduced was the 250S and available in either berlinetta or spider configuration. Introduced in 1952, they were powered by a 3-liter Colombo engine producing about 230 horsepower.
At the 1953 Paris Motor Show, Ferrari introduced the 250 Europa and Export. These were the only models in the series that were powered by a Lampredi v-12 engine also seen in Formula 1. The 250 Export had a 2400 MM wheelbase, similar tot he 250 MM. The 250 Europa had a larger, 2800 mm wheelbase which allowed more interior room. During their short production lifespan, only 18 examples were produced. Pininfarina and Vignale were tasked with creating the coachwork.
In 1954 four specialty built 250 Monza were built for racing. They shared many similarities with the 750 Monza's, but were equipped with the 3-liter Colombo engine.
At the 1957 Geneva auto show, Ferrari displayed their 250 GT Cabriolet. Coachwork was courtesy of Pininfarina; the wheelbase was 2600 mm in size. In 1959 the second in the 250 GT Cabriolet series production began after only 36 examples being produced.
From 1957 through 1959 Ferrari produced the 250 GT Berlinetta 'Tour de France' (TdF). The name had been given for the 10-day automobile race. Originally the engine produced 240 horsepower but was later modified to 260 horsepower. Carrozzeria Scaglietti was responsible for creating the bodies based on Pinin Farina's design.
Scaglietti was responsible for constructing the 1957 250 GT California Spyder. These sat atop a long, 2600 mm chassis and aluminum was used throughout the body in efforts to reduce the overall weight. In total, around 45 examples were created before they were replaced by the SWB version in 1960.
There were 250 examples of the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB produced. Production began in 1959 and used the shortened, sportier wheelbase. Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri were responsible for the development. Some were built for racing while others were meant for daily transportation. Horsepower ranged from 240 to 280. Steel or aluminum bodies were used. The steel bodies were suited for the road-going vehicles, also known as Lusso. The racing trim vehicles were powerful and had low weight. They were vary competitive and are regarded as the most important GT racers of its time. In 1961 the SWB Berlinetta captured the GT class of the Constructor's Championship.
In 1960 a Scaglietti 250 GT Spyder California SWB was shown at the Geneva Motor Show. Built as a replacement for the LWB and based on the 250 GT SWB, around 55 examples were produced.
The Ferrari 250TR was produced from 1957 through 1958 during which only 19 examples were created. The 'pontoon' fender body was designed by Scaglietti and the power was supplied through a Colombo 12-cylinder engine mounted at a sixty-degree angle and outfitted with six Weber 38 DCN carburetors. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. With 300 horsepower, the 800 kg vehicle was able to achieve a 168 mph top speed. From 1958 through 1961, the 250 TR was entered in 19 championship races where they emerged victorious ten times.
The 250 in 250 TR represented the unitary displacement while the TR was an acronym meaning Testa Rossa. Testa Rossa translates to 'red head' which referred to the color of the engine's cylinder head.
The 250 TR series was built to capture the world championship which was experience questionable times. During the 1955 24 Hours of Lemans a fatal accident occurred and the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale (CSI) began investigating ways to make the sport safer for the drivers and the spectators. Their efforts were escalated in 1967 when another fatal accident occurred at the 1957 Mille Miglia. The committee decided upon a displacement limit but they were in disagreement on the size; the proposed figures ranged from 3 to around 3.5 liters.
1958 was the introductory year for the new regulations, which had been announced during the later part of 1957. Ferrari had been building, testing, and racing the 250 GT which had performed well during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The Colombo V12 260 horsepower engine received a larger bore, camshaft, and other improvements resulting in a 3.1 liter displacement and 320 horsepower. Testing continued throughout the 1957 season in both body configuration and mechanical components.
Ferrari had anticipated the new engine size regulations and thus had been sufficiently prepared to capture the world championship. Due to the potential of negative publicity caused by the fatal accidents, other manufacturers, such as Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper and Jaguar, were hesitant to continue racing. Ferrari believed their closest competitor would be the powerful and technologically advanced Maserati 450 S which featured a quad-cam eight-cylinder engine.
Ferrari quickly began capturing victories during the 1958 season. The 250 TR was a solid vehicle thanks to the preparation and testing. The steel tubular ladder frame was of traditional Ferrari construction; a DeDion rear axle was used on the works racers. Customer cars were outfitted with a live axle. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners of the car. The engine had been modified to comply with regulations and to fit in the engine bay. In reality, the vehicle was an outdated car having only the benefit of proper planning and proven technology. Most cars featured disc brakes which provided superior stopping power. The Colombo engine dated back to the beginning of Ferrari and was antiquated in comparison to the modern power-plants.
Nearing the close of the 1958 season, the competition began to rise. Aston Martin had a lethal combination, a 3 liter DBR1 racer and Stirling Moss as the driver. Even though the Aston Martins did score a victory at Nurburgring 1000 KM, Ferrari was able to capture the World Championship. The legendary Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien easily capture a third victory for Ferrari at the grueling 24 Hours of Lemans. The 250 TR works cars were referred to as TR58, to distinguish them from the customer TRs.
For the 1959 season, the vehicles received slight modifications which made the vehicle lighter and more powerful. The big news was the use of Dunlop disc brakes. The engine received coil valve springs and the horsepower increased slightly to 306. A Colotti designed five speed gearbox replaced the four-speed unit. Pininfarina was tasked with designing a new body and the construction was handled by Fantuzzi. As a result of the improvements, the name was changed to TR59. At their inaugural race, the TR59 finished first and second. This streak did not last and at the end of the season, it was Aston Martin who emerged as the world champion. The TR59 was plagued with reliability issues mostly due to the gearbox. The vehicles were forced to retire early from races, including Le Mans.
For the 1960 season, the TR was modified slightly to comply with new regulations and to rectify the transmission issues. These vehicles are commonly referred to as the TR59/60. Aston Martin had withdrawn from the championship which left no factory opposition for Ferrari. Porsche and Maserati provided competition, especially at Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000 km where they scored victories. At Le Mans, Ferrari finished first and second and captured the word championship, beating Porsche by only four points.
For the 1961 season, Ferrari introduced the mid-engined 246 SP. The TRI61 was given a new spaceframe chassis and was able to capture victories at Sebring 12 Hours and Le Mans. With victories between the 246 SP and the TRI61, Ferrari once again captured the world championship.
The CSI implemented stricter rules for the 1962 season which meant the TR was unable to score points for the factory. It was still allowed to race for the overall victory. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 20, 2017) — Just a week ago, Bruce R. McCaws 1929 Mercedes-Benz S Barker Tourer emerged from the restoration shop of Steve Babinsky in Lebanon, New Jersey. Today, having crossed...