1913 Argo Model C news, pictures, and information
Chassis Num: 513
|Sold for $110,000 at 2011 RM Auctions.|
In 1916, the Argo Company merged with fellow electric manufactures Broc and Borland to form the American Electric Car Company, although each kept their marque identity. Their efforts failed and Columbia Motors Company of Detroit bought the firm in order to secure its franchise in the National Automobile Chamber of Commerce, necessary to exhibit at the national shows.
This 1913 Argo Electric Fore-Drive Limousine is powered by an 80-volt Westinghouse DC motor fitted with a five-speed controller. There is shaft drive, two-wheel mechanical drum brakes, and a wheelbase that measures 110 inches. It is painted in dark green paint, has nickel brightwork, and rides on 12-spoke wood artillery wheels with solid rubber tires. There is buttoned gray cord upholstery with brocade borders and twisted cord nets on the headliner. The side windows have pull-down shades. There is also a Phinney-Walker keyless clock. It was in the John McMullen Collection prior to entering the James Cousens Cedar Crossing Collection.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Hershey Auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $100,000 - $150,000. As bidding came to a close, the car was sold for the sum of $110,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2011