1922 Handley-Knight Model B news, pictures, and information
The company was based in Kalamazoo, Michigan. J.L Handley, whose prior automotive endeavors included American (Indianapolis), Willys-Overland and Marion, was the individual responsible for the Handley-Knight. W.O. Otis served as the secretary/treasurer.
The first Handley-Knight was introduced in July of 1920 and production followed in October. The engines were supplied by the Willys plant in Elyria, Ohio. They supplied engines until November of 1922 when Mr. Handley decided to use his owner engines. The company was reorganized in early December as Handley Motors, Inc. and bought a poppet-valve 60 horsepower six-cylinder engine from Midwest. They also purchased a 40 HP six-cylinder engine from Falls. The new Handley was introduced in early January.
One of the most prominent features of a Handley-Knight was the distinctive 'handles' mounted on top of the headlights that were reminiscent of the brass-era gas lamps.
The Handley-Knight was powered by a four-cylinder Knight engine offering around 48 horsepower and rested on a 125-inch platform.
Only three Handley-Knight automobiles are known to survive.
|Other models by Handley-Knight|
|Related Articles and Event Coverage|
|Gilmore Car Museum|