The Checker taxicab of the 1930s was noted for both its elegant art deco styling and rugged reliability. Throughout the decade several thousand Checkers cabs saw daily service as taxis on the streets of the largest cities. However, few survive to this day. Due to the combination of its powerful Lycoming eight-cylinder engine and sturdy chassis, many cabs were purchased by individuals as soon as the vehicles were retired from fleet use and converted into trucks.
Checker was then under the control of E.L. Cord, of Auburn, Cord & Duesenberg fame, and featured the same Lycoming engine as the Auburn 850.
This Y-8 Taxicab is powered by a Lycoming 8-cylinder engine offering nearly 150 horsepower.
For more information and related vehicles, click here
RM Auctions, the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles, will hold its Amelia Island, Florida, sale on March 8th at the Ritz-Carlton.
As the official auction house of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, RM's Amelia Island sale will feature a magnificent selection of more than 80 handpicked automobiles, with an emphasis on important and historic sports and racing cars, along with elegant coachbuilt classics. Full events details, including a frequently ...[Read more...]
• Final countdown underway to RM's annual Hershey, Pennsylvania auction, held October 10 – 11 during the historic AACA Eastern Regional Fall Meet
• Two-day sale features 116 vehicles, with an emphasis on Brass and Classic Era motor cars
• Sale entries led by a rare, award-winning 1933 Chrysler CL Imperial Convertible Roadster
• Auction also features number of vehicles steeped with local Pennsylvania history
• Digital catalogue now available online at rmauctions.com
BLENHEIM, Ontario (S...[Read more...]
• Auctions America rounds out its 2013 auction season in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, October 3-4
• Two-day Fall Carlisle sale, held in conjunction with the Carlisle Events Collector Car Swap Meet & Corral, features a diverse roster of 300 classics, exotics, muscle cars, hot rods, and customs
• Auction highlights include a desirable 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427/435 Roadster, a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 RS Sport Coupe, and a 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190SL Roadster
• Full event details and a frequentl...[Read more...]
• RM Auctions returns as the official auction house of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, March 9, 2013
• Single-day sale features breathtaking roster of more than 80 investment-quality collector cars
• Notable highlights include an outstanding series of coachbuilt classics headlined by a multi-million-dollar 1935 Duesenberg Model SJ Walker-LaGrande Convertible Coupe and a trio of Cords from the personal collection of Jim Fasnacht
• Frequently updated list of entries available online at r...[Read more...]
• Revival of the mountain race from the 1930s
• Mercedes-Benz SSK and W 125 at the start
• 92 bends, 14 hairpins, 15 kilometres and a 1300-metre altitude difference
The Grossglockner mountain race was one of the most prestigious motor sports events of the 1930s. This year it will be revived with the 2012 Grossglockner Grand Prix to be held from 20 to 22 September 2012 and Mercedes-Benz will be there with some famous cars. In 1938, the brand took part for the first time.
As a classic c...[Read more...]