2013 GMC SIERRA 1500 LINEUP IS DIVERSE, POWERFUL AND EFFICIENTGMC Sierra 1500 for 2013 features a broad, diverse and efficient lineup, offering everything from the job-ready Work Truck models to the luxurious Sierra Denali.
Sierra 1500 is available in several trim packages, including Work Truck, SL (crew cab and extended cab), XFE, SLE and SLT, in 2WD and 4WD configurations (XFE is 2WD only). The range of body styles and configurations includes: three cab styles – regular, extended and crew cab – and three cargo box lengths: 5 feet 8 inches (short), 6 feet 6 inches (standard) and 8 feet (long).
A range of powerful yet efficient V-8 engines is offered. Variable valve timing is standard on all V-8 engines and cylinder-deactivating Active Fuel Management is incorporated on 5.3L engines. These technologies help optimize performance and efficiency. In fact, Sierra's powertrains, backed by fuel-saving, six-speed automatic transmissions, help deliver the 's best V-8 fuel economy – including up to 22 mpg on the highway for the Sierra XFE and up to 23 mpg on the highway wîth the §egmènt-exclusive Sierra Hybrid.
The Sierra XFE is the only full-size truck that offers more than 300 horsepower and greater than 21 mpg on the highway. It incorporates unique aerodynamic enhancements, a 5.3L/six-speed automatic powertrain and other details to deliver its 22-mpg highway rating, while the Sierra Denali fuses performance and unmatched luxury, wîth specific exterior cues, a well-appointed interior and a powerful 6.2L V-8 engine.
Supported by the robust full-size truck architecture, Sierra's powertrains also enable excellent capability, including a maximum payload capacity of 1,937 pounds (838 kg). And when equipped wîth the available max trailering package and the 6.2L V-8, the Sierra 1500 can tow up to 10,700 pounds (4,853 kg).
New for 2013 is powertrain grade braking in the normal transmission mode. It was previously incorporated only when the Tow/Haul mode was activated. It uses engine torque to help slow the vehicle on descents, which helps reduce brake wear. It is featured wîth the 5.3L and 6.2L engines paired wîth six-speed transmissions.
Also new is a pair of exterior colors: Sonoma Red Metallic and Heritage Blue Metallic.
Sierra Denali details
The Sierra Denali is offered in 2WD and AWD configurations. It is powered by a 6.2L V-8 engine, rated at 403 horsepower (301 kW) and 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm). The engine is paired wîth the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com) Complementing drivetrain features include a 9.5-inch rear axle (2WD) or 8.6-inch rear axle (AWD) wîth 3.42 gears and an automatic locking rear differential. The specially tuned Z60 suspension, four-wheel disc brakes, StabiliTrak, skid plates and recovery hooks are standard. Twenty-inch chrome-finish aluminum wheels are standard and unique to Denali.
A Denali-specific chrome grille makes the truck instantly recognizable. Additional chrome trim and body-color bumpers further distinguish it. Sierra Denali also offers a unique combination of interior style and luxury, including standard nuance leather-appointed seats, heated and cooled 12-way power-adjustable front seats and an exclusive leather-wrapped and heated §teering wheel.
Denali models feature a unique center console, enhanced interior bright work and detailed, highly finished embossed sill plates. The center console has wood grain-appearance trim that conceals the lid and cupholder pockets, creating a more finished and refined appearance.
Sierra design and exterior features
The Sierra lineup is characterized by a rugged yet refined appearance, wîth chiseled bodywork complemented by details such as chrome bumpers (Sierra Denali features body-color bumpers). Additional elements, including flared rear fenders and premium headlamps, contribute to Sierra's refinements, while features such as large, grab-style door handles – designed for easy use wîth work gloves – reinforce the notion that it is a truck first and foremost.
Highlights of Sierra's standard and available exterior features include:
• Heated, power-adjustable outside mirrors including auto-dimming, integrated signal indicators and curb-tilt feature are standard on Denali and SLT and included on SLE wîth the available All Terrain package
• Heated, power-adjustable vertical camper-style outside mirrors are available on SLE, XFE and SLT. Manual-folding camper-style mirrors are available on Work Truck
• EZ-Lift tailgate (spring-loaded) is standard on Denali and available on Work Truck, SLE, XFE and SLT models
• Locking tailgate is standard on Denali and available on Work Truck, SLE, XFE and SLT models
• A range of 17-inch, 18-inch and 20-inch wheels is offered. Seventeen-inch wheels are standard on WT, SL and SLE. Eighteen-inch wheels are standard on SLT and 20-inch wheels are available on SLE and SLT
• Twenty- inch wheels wîth a specific chrome design are standard on Denali
• Dealer-installed accessory wheels include 20- and 22-inch designs
• Chrome Essentials package is available on SLE and SLT models. It includes a polished exhaust tip, chrome tubular assist steps, chrome recovery hooks, chrome door handles, chrome mirror caps and chrome-clad aluminum wheels.
• Power Tech package is available on SLE and includes the Vortec 5.3L V-8, heavy-duty locking rear differential, trailering package, dual-zone climate control, Bluetooth phone connectivity, front fog lamps, EZ-Lift tailgate, 17-inch aluminum wheels, six-way power driver's seat and more.
• Work Truck Plus package is available on Work Truck extended cab or regular cab models. Content includes 17-inch chrome-styled wheels, chrome grille surround, fog lamps and, on 2WD models, frame-mounted recovery hooks.
• All Terrain package is available on SLE and SLT extended cab/standard box and crew cab models. Content includes 18-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels and on/off-road tires, Z71 suspension package, fog lamps, body-color outside mirrors and door handles, 'All Terrain' identification on the exterior, sill plates and floor mats, Rancho front and rear shocks, specific four-bar grille wîth chrome surround and 'mechanical brushed aluminum' accents on the instrument panel, center console and switch trim plates.
Sierra's exterior color choices include Sonoma Metallic, Heritage Blue Metallic, Onyx Black, Mocha Steel Metallic, Stealth Grey Metallic, Steel Grey Metallic, Summit White, Fire Red, Quicksilver Metallic and White Diamond Tricoat.
A wide range of dealer-installed accessories is available for Sierra 1500, including tonneau covers, assist steps, chrome packages, bed liners, utility racks and more.
Sierra interior standard and available features
Sierra features two interiors to meet the diverse needs of customers. The Work Truck, SL and SLE trim levels feature the 'pure pickup' interior, while Denali and SLT models feature the luxury-inspired interior similar to GMC's full-size SÚVs.
Work Truck, SL and SLE trim levels feature larger controls and door handles that are easier to use wîth gloves. A large-capacity, double glove box is part of the instrument panel. Denali and SLT models feature a luxury-inspired interior wîth a unique instrument panel, door panels, large-capacity center console that offers 20.1 liters of undivided storage and other distinct trim.
A stadium-style rear seat wîth a 60/40-split design and folding center armrest is standard on crew cab models and available on extended cab models. It can be easily folded up wîth one hand, without using a release handle, to provide an uninterrupted load floor. Alternatively, either section of the split seat can be stowed independently, allowing room for both cargo and a rear-seat passenger.
Rear access doors on the extended cab open 170 degrees for easy entry to the rear seat/storage area of extended cab models. Power-operated rear side windows lower completely into the 170-degree access doors, providing 100-percent openness on SLE and SLT models.
Additional interior features include:
• A range of CD/DVD/MP3-ca p able audio systems is available on all models
• Navigation radio wîth MP3-compatible CD/DVD player and ÚSB port is available on Denali and SLT models
• Bose premium speaker system wîth subwoofer mounted in the center console is standard on Denali and available on SLT, SLE and XFE
• Rear-seat entertainment system is available on Denali and SLT crew cab and includes rear-seat DVD player wîth LCD display, remote control and two sets of wireless headphones
• SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on SL, SLE, XFE, SLT and Denali models and available on Work Truck. SiriusXM NavTraffic feature is available on SLE, XFE, SLT and Denali
• Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity is standard on Denali and SLT models and available on Work Truck, SL and SLE models
• Power-adjustable pedals are standard on Denali and available on SLE, XFE and SLT models
• Two auxiliary 12-volt power outlets are standard on all models and mounted on the instrument panel
• Remote vehicle starter system is standard on Denali and SLT and available on SLE and XFE models
• Leather-appointed heated and cooled front seats are standard on Denali and available on SLT
• Rear 60/40-split folding bench seat is standard on crew cab models
• Leather-wrapped §teering wheel is standard on SLE, XFE and SLT models and available on Work Truck and SL (WT and SL wîth Bluetooth optional)
• Leather-wrapped and heated §teering wheel is standard on Denali models
• Power-operated sunroof is available on Denali and SLT crew cab
• Power-operated rear sliding window is available on SLE, XFE, SLT and Denali models
• Interior trim colors include: Ebony, Very Dark Cashmere/Light Cashmere, Very Dark Cashmere/Light Cashmere, Dark Titanium/Light Titanium and Dark Titanium. Sierra Denali is offered in Ebony and an exclusive Cocoa/Light Cashmere combination.
Sierra models are powered by an efficient lineup of engines, led by Vortec small-block V-8s. Advanced technologies such as Active Fuel Management (AFM) and variable valve timing (VVT) optimize performance and efficiency. Three FlexFuel engines are available and partnered wîth fuel-saving AFM, giving customers the choice of powering their truck wîth E85 ethanol, gasoline or a combination of both fuels.
Sierra 1500's engine offerings include:
• 4.3L V-6 (LÚ3), rated at 195 hp (145 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (351 Nm).
• 4.8L V-8 (L20), E85-capable wîth iron block; rated at 302 hp (225 kW) and 305 lb.-ft. of torque (412 Nm).
• 5.3L FlexFuel V-8 (LMG), E85-capable wîth iron block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 335 lb.-ft. of torque (452 Nm).
• 5.3L FlexFuel V-8 (LC9), E85-capable wîth aluminum block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 335 lb.-ft. of torque (452 Nm).
• 6.2L V-8 (L9H), wîth E85 FlexFuel capability, an aluminum block and variable valve timing, rated at 403 hp (300 kW) and 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm). This engine is available in crew cab and extended cab models and is standard in Sierra Denali.
Sierra chassis and suspension
Built on GM's full-size truck platform, the Sierra incorporates features such as a fully boxed frame – wîth a hydroformed front section – coil-over-shock front suspension and rack-and-pinion §teering. Wide front and rear tracks – 68.1 inches (1,732 mm) front/67 inches (1,702 mm) rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel, while Sierra's stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin. The strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components.
Sierra is offered wîth five suspension systems, each tailored to suit specific driving requirements:
• Z83 – Delivers a solid, smooth ride wîth monotube front shocks and twin-tube rear shocks
• Z85 – Designed for enhanced handling and trailer towing, wîth monotube front and rear shocks
• Z71 – Delivers enhanced off-road capability; features specific monotube front and rear shocks
• Z60 – Designed for maximum street performance and offered wîth 20-inch wheels, as well as monotube front and rear shocks
• NHT – Designed for maximum towing capacity; it includes monotube rear shocks, 17-inch wheels and off-road tires, and high-capacity rear springs.
Additional chassis and suspension details include:
• A coil-over-shock front suspension delivers linear handling characteristics on all road surfaces
• A rack-and-pinion §teering system provides precise control and strong on-center feel
• A Hotchkiss-type rear suspension provides superior isolation and ride wîth a splayed arrangement for the shock absorbers
• Four-channel ABS is standard on all models and is linked to the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system to help mitigate the occurrence of rollover events
• StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on all models and includes electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist
• Autotrac electronic transfer case is standard on SLE and SLT wîth 4WD.
• An automatic locking rear differential is standard on XFE, SLT and Denali models and available on Work Truck, SL and SLE models
• Integrated trailer brake controller is available on all models (except when equipped wîth the 4.3L engine).
The Z71 suspension is available on SLE and SLT models. Content includes high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, on/off-road tires, off-road jounce bumpers, front recovery hooks (2WD models), a skid plate and high-capacity air cleaner.
The NHT enhanced trailering packageis available on SLE and SLT extended cab and crew cab models. Content includes the 6.2L V-8 engine, heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, Z85 suspension, 9.5-inch rear axle, 3.73 axle ratio, 17-inch aluminum wheels and on/off-road tires and four-wheel disc brakes.
Sierra safety and crash-avoidance features
Sierra has a strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective 'safety cage' around occupants. Standard head curtain side air bags wîth rollover protection are featured for all seating rows, while standard seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger provide thorax and pelvic protection. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment.
Additional safety features include:
• StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver's intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
• Available rearview camera system (standard on Denali) is designed to provide the driver wîth a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle
• Últrasonic rear parking assist is standard on Denali
• Standard high-capacity brake system wîth four-channel ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
• Front-seat safety belt pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
• Standard tire pressure monitoring system
• Standard remote keyless entry (RKE) system provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use it to locate their vehicle without sounding the panic alarm.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Sierra. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar's RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Sierra also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.