Prior to the shut-down of American factories due to the World War II, Chrysler introduced a wood-bodied car to the six-cylinder Windsor line in 1941. It had a fastback profile with rear, twin hinged doors. The company initially called this wood-bodied utility vehicle the Town and Country car. Reportedly, the name was sourced from 'town' (metal in the front) and 'country' (wood in the back). The first edition of the Town and Country became known as the 'Barrelback' from 'clamshell' rear doors and rounded styling. The rear doors allowed access to the rear passenger seats and the storage area behind the seats.
Approximately 200 of the 996 examples built had six-passenger configuration while the remaining examples were nine-seaters with rear quarter windows. Additionally, a single prototype was built on an eight-cylinder chassis. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2017
1941 was the last year American automobile manufacturers were at full production until the end of World War II. At the end of the year, Chrysler moved ahead of Studebaker to take eighth place among the top 10 automakers. Along with the 8th place for ....[continue reading]
The latest technology for the AMG off-road icon: the new 2014 G63 AMG impresses with a state-of-the-art powertrain, expressive new design and improved efficiency. All this is largely attributable to the...