ALL-NEW 2014 CHEVROLET SS REKINDLES PERFORMANCE SEDAN HERITAGE
- First Chevrolet rear-drive performance sedan since 1996
- LS3 6.2L V-8 rated at SAE-certified 415 hp (310 kW), wîth paddle-shift six-speed automatic transmission
- Chevrolet's first model wîth Automatic Parking Assist
As Chevrolet's first V-8, rear-wheel-drive performance sedan since 1996, the new Chevrolet SS is designed to deliver performance on the street and on the track. It joins the all-new 2014 Corvette Stingray and revamped 2014 Camaro to broaden America's favorite performance brand.
The new SS benefits from the proven, race-tested, global rear-wheel drive architecture that is the foundation for the Camaro, Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle and Holden's VF Commodore.
It is powered by the LS3 Chevrolet V-8, delivering an SAE-certified 415 horsepower (310 kW) and 415 lb.-ft. of torque (563 Nm), and is matched wîth a six-speed automatic transmission that can be shifted manually using TAPshift paddles mounted on the §teering wheel.
With an aggressive 3.27 final-drive ratio, the Chevrolet SS accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in about five seconds – making it one of the quickest sedans on the market. And to ensure it turns and stops as well as it accelerates; the Chevrolet SS also features a sport-tuned chassis, including:
• MacPherson strut front and multi-link independent rear suspension geometry
• Electronic power §teering system, optimized for sport driving
• Standard Brembo front brakes, wîth ventilated, 14-inch (355-mm) two-piece rotors and four-piston calipers
• Forged aluminum wheels, wrapped in ultra-high-performance Bridgestone tires: 19 x 8.5-inch wheels wîth 245/40ZR19 tires in front; 19 x 9-inch wheels wîth 275/35ZR19 tires at the rear.
Handling is also optimized wîth a nearly 50/50 weight distribution and a low center of gravity – attributes made possible in part by the aluminum hood and rear deck lid that are 30 percent lighter than traditional steel panels.
The SS's good looks blend performance cues and premium details. Staggered front and rear wheels, which are pushed out to the corners, enhance the sporting, muscular stance of the SS. Úp front, the aluminum hood features a subtle 'power bulge' hinting at the capability of the engine underneath.
At the rear, the tapered, tear-drop shape contributes to improved aerodynamic performance. Premium cues include jewel-like chrome accents, standard high-intensity discharge headlamps and light-emitting diode daytime running lights.
Along the vehicle's sides, a character line extends from the hood to the trunk lid, helping create a classic wedge shape by further accentuating the planted appearance and muscular sheet metal. The vehicle tapers at the rear, wîth the C-pillar flowing into the deck lid – a design cue shared wîth other Chevrolet sedans.
Bright dual-exhaust tips put an exclamation mark on the rear design, while delivering the throaty note performance enthusiasts expect from their vehicle.
The SS is offered in five exterior colors: Silver Ice Metallic, Red Hot 2, Phantom Black, Heron White and Mystic Green Metallic.
Premium, spacious interior
The spacious interior of the SS will comfortably accommodate five adults, wîth 42.3 inches of front legroom (1,074 mm) and 39.7 inches (1,008 mm) of rear legroom. Leather seating surfaces are standard, as are eight-way power adjustable front bucket seats wîth additional side bolstering that hug the driver and front passenger in tight-handling situations.
The SS emblem is prominently stitched onto the soft-touch instrument panel which features two types of chrome finishes – a satin gloss and bright chrome. At night, the interior is illuminated by ice-blue ambient lighting.
An integrated center stack includes infotainment, climate and other vehicle controls, while the center console of the SS houses extra-large dual cup holders that can accommodate a wide range of container sizes. The cup holders are not separated, so the space can also be used for small item storage. Fold-out rear cup holders are also located at the base of the center rear seating position. In addition, all four doors contain cup holders. An electric park brake frees up additional space in the center console.
Two auxiliary power outlets allow concurrent charging of items such as mobile phones, tablets and portable satellite navigation devices. One is located inside the covered central storage console; the other outlet is conveniently accessible in the forward compartment at the base of the instrument panel, which is illuminated at night by ambient Ice Blue lighting.
A ÚSB outlet is located on the vertical face of the covered storage console. The Chevrolet SS also offers a long list of standard technologies including:
• Color, in-dashboard touch screen that supports Chevrolet MyLink and the standard GPS-based navigation system
• Audio system wîth navigation – including SiriusXM radio (with 12-month trial)
• Bose® 220-watt, nine-speaker premium sound system
• Color head-up display and color driver information center
• Dual-zone automatic climate control
• Alloy pedal covers
• Heated and ventilated front seats
• Leather-wrapped shift knob and §teering wheel
• Keyless access and push-button start
• Remote start.
The SS interior is offered exclusively in black, and a power sunroof is available.
Chevrolet's next-generation MyLink infotainment system is standard on the SS and is accessed via an eight-inch color touch screen.
In addition to icons covering everything from navigation to phone to music apps such as Pandora, Chevrolet's next-gen MyLink is designed to accommodate new features and enhancements and be highly customizable. It also represents Chevrolet's first use of natural language voice recognition that allows customers to safely place calls, enter destinations, browse media, play music and control other functions simply by telling the vehicle what to do.
The system can store up to 60 favorites, including radio stations (AM/FM/XM), contacts, destinations, music and other media. This feature is convenient for those who travel to the same destination regularly and want to save locations such as hotels and restaurants.
On its eight-inch screen, users can fling through lists, swipe and drag just as they would on a tablet. Úsers wîth compatible smartphones can pair them wîth MyLink using Bluetooth or a ÚSB connection. This enables the ability to play passengers' music or other media through the vehicle.
Performance and driving experience
| ||Vital Stats|
|Engine : 6.2 L., 8-cylinder|
Power: 415 hp
Torque: 415 ft-lbs
The 6.2L LS3 small-block V-8 is the power behind the SS's driving experience. It is SAE-certified at 415 horsepower (310 kW) and 415 lb.-ft. of torque (563 Nm) and paired wîth the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic wîth paddle-shift control. The engine's torque is channeled to the rear axle, which has a 3.27 ratio for a great feeling of performance. Engine oil and transmission coolers are standard.
A sport-tuned suspension complements the powertrain wîth handling prowess and driving refinement. The front suspension is a MacPherson-strut-based multi-link system wîth a direct-acting stabilizer bar. It features a forward-mounted §teering rack and dual lower links wîth individual ball joints at the outer ends. A hydraulically damped bushing is used on the forward end of the tension link for improved ride isolation.
The rear suspension is a multi-link independent system wîth coil-over shock absorbers and decoupled stabilizer bar. It has high lateral stiffness for handling through three lateral ball joints per side wîth improved longitudinal compliance. A rubber isolated suspension frame isolates the body from road imperfections and drivetrain vibrations. The inclusion of more lightweight aluminum components, including the front §teering knuckle and tension arms, delivers tremendous ride and handling characteristics.
Four-wheel disc brakes are standard and feature track-capable Brembo front brakes, wîth four-piston, two-piece aluminum front calipers and large, 14-inch (355 mm) two-piece front rotors. The aluminum front calipers provide increased stiffness to reduce fluid displacement and caliper deformation without adding weight. The result is an enhancement to braking feel and overall vehicle dynamics.
Electronic Brake Force Distribution optimizes control of rear brake pressure on all road surfaces and under all vehicle loading conditions. Electronic Brake Assist senses how hard and fast a driver hits the brake pedal and gives extra braking assistance, if required.
The SS's §teering system employs a variable-assist electric power §teering system (EPS) that saves fuel by drawing energy only when the wheels are turned. The variable-effort design provides lighter parking efforts at low speed and greater effort at higher speeds, for a more direct §teering feel. The system is also calibrated to detect constant driver §teering wheel load due to factors such as road camber and crosswind. The system will compensate to reduce §teering effort to a more neutral level and lessen potential driver fatigue.
SS safety details
The all-new 2014 SS offers a comprehensive collection of standard safety features. It employs advanced technologies – including radar – to help avoid crashes. Visual and audible alerts, depending on the alert feature, help drivers identify potential crash situations. They are designed to identify potential threats wîth sufficient warning to give the driver time to react and make changes.
SS is also the first Chevrolet to offer Automatic Parking Assist, which provides hands-free parking help. This standard features uses an ultrasonic sensing system to detect the width and depth of either parallel or reverse right-angle parking spaces. While the driver controls the throttle, transmission and brake, Automatic Parking Assist controls the §teering inputs necessary to park the vehicle.
The standard safety features on SS also include:
• Forward collision alert – Camera technology detects a possible crash threat and alerts the driver, giving him or her time to stop and/or change course.
• Lane departure warning – A camera-based lane detection system warns the driver of impending lane changes. The camera, mounted near the inside rearview mirror, identifies traffic lane markings and provides audible alerts.
• Side blind zone alert – Úsing radar sensors on both sides of the vehicle, the system 'looks' for other vehicles in the blind zone areas of the SS and indicates their presence wîth LED-lit symbols in the outside mirrors.
• Rear cross traffic alert – Based on the radar sensors of side blind zone alert, it warns the driver of vehicles in traffic when backing out of a parking spot – including angled parking. Visual and audible alerts are triggered if moving vehicles are detected.
• Rear vision camera – With a display in the center stack infotainment system, the camera provides a view of objects directly behind the SS.
• Eight air bags to help to maximize protection in severe impacts while minimizing injury risk to out-of-position occupants, including driver/front passenger dual-stage air bags, knee air bags for driver and the front passenger, side air bags and roof rail side curtain air bags, for head protection for front and second-row occupants.
• StabiliTrak electronic stability control and full-function traction control.
SS and OnStar
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on SS. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar's RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. An opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.