|2013 Sonic Z-Spec 2.5 Concept||2013 Sonic Dusk||2013 Sonic RS||2013 Sonic||2013 Sonic Z-Spec 1 concept||2015 Sonic|
Image credits: © Chevrolet. GM Corp
2014 Chevrolet Sonic news, pictures, specifications, and information
CHEVROLET SONIC ENHANCES CRASH-AVOIDANCE TECHNOLOGIES FOR 2014The Chevrolet Sonic has made a big impact on Chevrolet's successful small-car lineup. For 2014, the only subcompact assembled in America adds available advanced crash-avoidance technologies and enjoys the first full model year of enhanced connectivity including access to Siri Eyes Free voice recognition (for customers wîth compatible iPhones), BringGo in-dash navigation and TuneIn global radio.
Sonic's youthful design, fuel efficiency, spirited driving experience and unexpected features for the §egmènt are bringing new, younger customers to the Chevrolet brand, along wîth and government awards for value, design and safety. Thirty percent of Sonic buyers are under 35, and nearly half of buyers trade in a non-GM brand.
A new, advanced safety package including Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning – crash-avoidance technologies typically found on cars costing more – is available on all but base Sonic models, as well as a rear vision camera.
Ten standard air bags and Bluetooth phone connectivity across the Sonic lineup, as well as standard remote vehicle start on automatic transmission-equipped LT, LTZ and RS models, further enhance Sonic's value. A new-for-2014, limited availability LT Promotional Package includes Chevrolet MyLink radio, a power sunroof and front fog lamps.
Sonic is the first and only car in its class to receive a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score for safety from the National Highway Traffic Administration, and the 2013 model was named a Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Sonic was recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as having the highest-ranked vehicle appeal among subcompact cars owners in the 2012 APEAL Study. It also was designated as one of the Best Family Cars of 2012 by Edmunds and Parents magazines, and its interior was named one of Ward's 10 Best Interiors for 2012.
The Sonic lineup
Sonic customers can choose between two body styles: a four-door sedan and a five-door hatchback in LS, LT, LTZ and RS (five-door hatchback only) models.
Each Sonic model delivers class-leading rear-seat roominess and cargo space. Standard and available features include:
• Standard Ecotec 1.8L engine (non-RS models) paired wîth five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions that deliver an EPA-estimated 35 mpg highway
• Available 1.4L Ecotec turbocharged engine (available on LT and LTZ, standard on RS) that, when paired wîth the six-speed manual, achieves an EPA estimated 40 mpg highway
• Standard electric power §teering and StabiliTrak electronic stability control wîth rollover sensing
• Sedan offers more trunk capacity (14.9 cu. ft. / 422 L), than the larger Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla; and the hatchback and sedan offer better rear-seat room than Ford Fiesta. With a rear seat that folds nearly flat, the Sonic hatchback has greater cargo capacity ( 47.7 cu. ft. / 1351 L) than Fiesta
• Connectivity includes Chevrolet MyLink radio (standard on LTZ and RS, available on LS and LT), standard OnStar wîth six months of Automatic Crash Response, Directions and Connections service, Turn-by-Turn navigation and MyChevrolet mobile app. SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with three trial months of service) is standard on all but the base Sonic, along wîth ÚSB and Bluetooth streaming audio functionality
• Remote start, heated front seats and sunroof – all rarities in the §egmènt
• Ten standard air bags, anti-lock brakes wîth electronic brake force distribution and brake assist.
|Engine : 1.8 L., 4-cylinder|
Power: 138 hp
Torque: 125 ft-lbs
Engine : 1.8 L., 4-cylinder
Power: 138 hp
Torque: 148 ft-lbs
From every angle, the Sonic sedan and five-door hatchback convey sportiness, strength, stability and refinement. Performance-themed design elements include its wheels-at-the-corners proportions, fender flares and motorcycle-inspired round headlamps.
Those design cues blend wîth Chevrolet global design hallmarks such as a dual-element grille and round taillamps. The leading edge of the hood forms a character line above the headlamps, which flows in a sleek side profile characterized by uninterrupted body side lines, a high beltline and low roofline. The side mirrors carry the same shape as the car and seemingly disappear into the profile.
Other details that reinforce Sonic's quality and attention to detail include chrome grille surrounds and matte black honeycomb grille inserts on all models. A range of wheel sizes, including 17-inch alloy wheels, reinforces its sporty demeanor.
For 2014, Sonic adds these colors: Red Hot, Ashen Gray Metallic, and Cool Blue. Other colors include Silver Ice Metallic, Summit White, Blue Topaz Metallic and Mocha Bronze Metallic. For an additional charge, customers may choose White Diamond, Crystal Red Tintcoat and Black Granite Metallic.
Roomy, award-winning interior
Sonic's cabin complements its motorcycle-inspired exterior wîth a detailed instrument cluster featuring a large, round analog tachometer set within an asymmetrical LCD readout, wîth a large digital speedometer display.
Depending on the trim level ordered, Sonic offers two varieties of cloth (LS and LT) as well as perforated leatherette (LTZ) and leather-appointed (RS) seating surfaces. Interior colors and combinations include Jet Black/Dark Titanium; Jet Black/Brick; Dark Pewter/Dark Titanium and Jet Black (RS).
The mid-instrument panel surface flows seamlessly into the upper doors, wîth premium, low-gloss finishes. The automatic shift knob has a 'cobra head' design, while the manual shifter has a chrome-finished knob.
The interior is functional, too, wîth storage compartments in the center stack and doors. The rear seats fold virtually flat for carrying larger items such as sports gear.
Front bucket seats are standard and heated front seats are available.
Chevrolet MyLink connectivity
MyLink is standard on Sonic LTZ and RS, and available on Sonic LS and LT models. It consists of a seven-inch diagonal touch screen, AM/FM/SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with three months of service) stereo wîth seek-and-scan, digital clock, Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones, voice recognition for compatible smartphones and six speakers.
On Sonic, MyLink operates by integrating the owner's compatible smartphone and stored media – via Bluetooth, plug-in outlet or ÚSB – wîth the radio. This lets owners enjoy simple, safe and personalized connectivity while their smartphone is stowed. It also makes it easy to accommodate new apps.
MyLink is simple to use: The owner selects from options projected onto the touch screen: Audio, Pictures & Movies, Telephone, Smartphone Link and Settings. Each menu selection takes the user though a list of easy-to-select functions.
Late in the 2013 model year, MyLink added compatibility wîth Apple's Siri Eyes Free for customers wîth a compatible iPhone running iOS6, as well as apps for BringGo in-dash navigation (additional charge); TuneIn, which provides access to 70,000 global radio stations; and apps for Pandora internet radio and Stitcher Smart Radio.
In MyLink-equipped Sonics, owners can use Siri in Eyes Free mode to:
• Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone
• Play songs in the iTunes library, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode
• Listen to, compose and send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone in saved Contacts
• Access Calendar and add appointments
• Minimize distraction even more by keeping the screen of the iPhone from lighting up, even when Siri answers simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays
• While in Eyes Free mode, Siri will not provide answers to complex questions that require displaying a web page.
The available BringGo app provides full-function, in-dash navigation via MyLink, as well as live traffic updates for less than $60. It also includes:
• Emergency information such as police, fire and the nearest hospital
• Thousands of points of interest
• Local Search via Google
• Where am I ? locator
• Live traffic functionality provides crash reports and lane closures, and wîth alternative routes
• 3-D maps
• Ability to store native maps to the customer's compatible smartphone, giving them access to locations and turn-by-turn directions even when phone signal quality is poor. Many GPS-enabled apps do not do this
• Available for download on iTunes or Googleplay for compatible smartphones.
The TuneIn app connects Sonic customers to live local, international and Internet radio. Úsers can search for programming by location, genre, sports team name, station type or call sign.
The Sonic driving experience
Sonic is the only car in its class wîth an available turbocharged engine, and it provides §egmènt-leading torque. When paired wîth the six-speed manual transmission, the available Ecotec 1.4L turbo (standard on RS) produces 138 horsepower (103kW) and 148 lb.-ft. (200 Nm) of torque between 1,850 and 4,900 rpm and achieves an EPA-estimated 40 mpg highway.
The wide rpm range for the maximum torque – a specific trait of turbocharged engines – helps the engine deliver a better driving experience and performance.
Premium design elements give the engine world-class smoothness and durability, including a low-mass, hollow-frame cast iron block, dual overhead camshafts wîth variable valve timing, chain-driven cams and roller-finger camshaft followers, piston-cooling oil jets and integrated oil cooler, a variable-flow oil pump and an electronically controlled thermostat.
The turbocharger is integrated within the exhaust manifold, for reduced weight and greater packaging flexibility. A reinforced crankshaft and stronger connecting rods deliver additional strength to support the engine's pressurized power and torque over a wide rpm band.
Sonic's standard engine, the naturally aspirated Ecotec 1.8L engine, has many of the same features of the Ecotec 1.4L turbo, including:
• It is a compact and durable four-cylinder engine designed for low maintenance, low emissions and fuel efficiency.
• Its two-stage variable intake manifold allows approximately 90 percent of peak torque to be available from 2,400 rpm to 6,500 rpm.
• It is rated at 138 horsepower (103 kW) along wîth 125 lb.-ft. of torque (170 Nm) at 3,800 rpm.
Several transmissions are available: a five-speed manual and six-speed automatic wîth the 1.8L; and a six-speed manual and six-speed automatic wîth the 1.4L turbo.
Sonic's ride and handling was tuned for a more direct feel, while balancing the vehicle for the broad range of driving conditions in North America. Its standard hill start assist feature makes it easier to pull away from a stopped position when the vehicle is on an uphill or downhill slope.
Sonic RS turns up the volume
Introduced last year, the performance-themed Chevrolet Sonic RS amplifies the Sonic's youthful appearance and driving experience wîth unique exterior and interior features matched wîth the Ecotec 1.4L turbo engine. Buyers can choose between six-speed manual or automatic transmissions, both featuring more aggressive final-drive ratios.
One of the most dramatic Sonic RS cues is its front fascia, which has a deep air dam design that enhances the car's road-hugging stance. Vertical intakes at the edges of the fascia reinforce the wide, low proportion and house the fog lamps.
Other features include:
• RS-specific grille
• Rear fascia
• Rear spoiler
• Rocker moldings
• Bright exhaust outlet
• Únique 17-inch five-spoke wheel design
• Lowered and stiffened suspension wîth performance-tuned dampers
• RS badging.
A power, tilt-sliding sunroof wîth express-open and wind deflector feature is available.
Inside, a Jet Black interior is exclusive to RS. Features include:
• Leather-appointed front bucket seats wîth suede microfiber inserts and red RS accents
• Sport three-spoke, leather-wrapped §teering wheel wîth contrasting stitching and racing-inspired flat-bottom design
• Leather-wrapped shifter knob wîth red stitching (manual transmission)
• Aluminum sport pedals
• Specific instrument panel cluster graphics.
Sonic safety and crash-avoidance technologies
Sonic is the only car in its §egmènt to achieve an overall five-star safety rating by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and it also earned a Top Safety Pick designation from the IIHS.
Sonic is designed to help drivers avoid crashes, while protecting the occupants in the event a crash occurs. For 2014, two available crash-avoidance technologies on all but base Sonic models, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning, when activated, help warn drivers when they are approaching the vehicle in front of them too quickly; and when they venture outside of a marked roadway lane.
A new rear vision camera – available on LT when MyLink is ordered and standard on LTZ and RS – gives drivers a clearer view of stationary objects behind the vehicle.
Sonic's strong body structure is designed to absorb crash energy and provide a protective 'safety cage' around occupants. More than 60 percent of the body structure is composed of advanced steels.
Other safety technologies include:
• Ten standard air bags include side curtain air bags, which provide head protection for outboard passengers in the event of a side-impact or rollover crash
• StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver's intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
• Power-assisted front disc and rear drum brakes are standard; front and rear disc brakes are standard on RS
• Four-channel anti-lock braking is standard and incorporates electronic brake force distribution, which balances braking performance based on such factors as road conditions and the weight of passengers and/or cargo
• Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
• LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, which is included in all second-row seating positions
• Tire pressure monitoring system on all models
• Standard OnStar.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Sonic. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar's RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. An opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.Source - Chevrolet
|2014 Chevrolet Sonic Enhances Subcompact Safety|
|DETROIT – The 2014 Chevrolet Sonic is available with even more advanced-safety features, including a rear-vision camera, Forward Collision Alert, and Lane Departure Warning. When activated, Forward Collision Alert warns drivers if they are approaching a vehicle too quickly. Lane Departure Warning gives an alert when the vehicle veers from a marked roadway lane. The rear-vision camera, enabled by the Chevrolet MyLink's 7-inch digital touch-screen, helps give drivers a clearer view of st...[Read more...]|
|Magenta First Of 2014 Chevrolet Sonic Limited Edition Colors|
|DETROIT – The 2014 Chevrolet Sonic will be available in two limited-edition colors as the brand continues to scour design products seeking the 'individualist' consumer. A chromatic plum called Deep Magenta Metallic is the first in the series and will be available August through October. 'We know that about one-third of our Sonic buyers note exterior color as an 'extremely important' factor in their purchase process – a higher percentage than other small car buyers,' said Michelle Kille...[Read more...]|
|MODEL YEAR 2015: NEW GOLF FAMILY, REDESIGNED JETTA, AND NEW TDI® CLEAN DIESEL ENGINE HEAD THE CHANGES|
|In a busy year, Volkswagen will also add a new Golf SportWagen, an all-new Golf R, a redesigned Touareg SUV, and the company's first U.S.-market EV, the e-Golf • All-new Golf is bigger, lighter, and more fuel-efficient than the previous model, seats five, and has a larger trunk than any midsize sedan • New Golf GTI has 210-horsepower engine, with improved fuel efficiency and performance • e-Golf is Volkswagen's first full Battery Electric Vehicle for sale in the U.S. • Redesigned Jett...[Read more...]|
|THE 2015 NISSAN LINEUP: CHARTING THE CHANGES|
|Nissan's U.S. sales have significantly outperformed the industry in 2014, up 12.7 percent CYTD through June. Sales have been led by the recently redesigned Altima, Rogue and Sentra – along with other models such as LEAF (+29.4%), JUKE (+44.9%), Frontier (+22.6%) and NV200 (+439.3%), which have shown strong results month after month. This gives the Nissan lineup great momentum heading into the 2015 model year. Headlining the changes for 2015 is the upcoming launch of the all-new Nissan Murano ...[Read more...]|
|2014 Kia Soul Urban Passenger Vehicle Lights Up San Diego's Scenic Roads|
|◾Refined interior, cutting-edge technology and striking road presence maintain Soul's iconic status ◾Kia's urban hatchback will go on sale early in the fourth quarter of 2013 SAN DIEGO, August 28, 2013 – Entering San Diego's historic Gaslamp Quarter, drivers are greeted by the city's iconic 'Archway,' a luminescent preview to the Victorian buildings and vibrant nightlife found within this Southern California waterfront gem. Surrounded by universities, San Diego is home to nearly 65...[Read more...]|
|ALL-NEW 2014 FIAT 500L EXPANDS FIAT BRAND'S PRODUCT LINEUP AND COMMITMENT TO INNOVATIVE AND VALUE-LOADED ITALIAN CARS|
|◾Loaded with value: all-new 2014 Fiat 500L arrives to FIAT studios this June with a starting price of $19,100 and four well-equipped models ◾Leveraging: taking the FIAT brand's DNA, the all-new Fiat 500L expands the appeal of the iconic 500 while adding two more doors plus best-in-class interior volume (120.1 cu. ft.) providing comfortable accommodations for five passengers ◾Large: a Fiat 500 designed on the new 'small-wide' vehicle architecture for 27 inches more length, plus six inches more ...[Read more...]|
|2014 MAZDA6 NAMED TO WARD'S ‘10 BEST INTERIORS' LIST|
|The all-new 2014 Mazda6 today was named to WardsAuto World's 10 Best Interiors list, as chosen by the publication's editors. The redesigned mid-size sports sedan features Mazda's new design language called KODO 'Soul of Motion,' which translates muscular movement and power into agile proportions, detailed sculpting and expressive character. The Mazda6 also was recently named one of the top three vehicle designs in the world for 2013 by the World Car Awards. 'The automotive industry, regardl...[Read more...]|
|Other models by Chevrolet|
|Vehicle Recall Information|
|2013 Sonic Z-Spec 2.5 Concept||2013 Sonic Dusk||2013 Sonic RS||2013 Sonic||2013 Sonic Z-Spec 1 concept||2015 Sonic|