This chopped and channeled 1932 Ford Coupe came into being in 1952, after the current owner returned from 4 years duty in the U.S. Navy. The coupe was salvaged from becoming a dirt track racer. The top, doors, glass etc. were chopped 3 inches and the body channeled over the frame and the dropped axle. The radiator was modified to allow leading the shell as well as the cowl air vent and roof. Today, 12 volts supplies the power for the ignition, lights and wiper. A 1940 Ford dash and Stewart Warner gauges supply operating information and the interior is rolled and pleated. Moon ripple wheel disc complement the whitewall tires. Power is a 59L block Ford flathead bored .0125 over a 4 inch Mercury crank equaling 276 cubic-inches plus a cam topped with 3/94 Holley carburetors and Mallory ignition developing 200 horsepower. The transmission is a 1940 Ford three-speed on the column shift with 3.54 rear gears. This 1932 Ford Hot Rod was put together in a back alley in Altoona, PA. The welding was done using acetylene made from carbide and stick welding came from a Model 'A' engine turning a generator. This vehicle has remained as built for over 61 years.
This 1932 Ford is the creation of Fred Steele of Concord, Massachusetts, who set out to put together an exceptional roadster. His 1932 Ford wound up channeled 6 inches, chopped 4 inches and wrapped around a 1948 Ford truck engine, 3 3/8 x 4, with all the trimmings. He installed a 4-pot manifold, then installed a suspension which could really take the gaff and a Columbia two-speed rear axle. Concentrating on the interior he installed an eight-instrument Stewart Warner dash with custom upholstery and rugs. Next he proceeded to chrome practically everything in sight, including the oil pan, firewall, front and rear suspension and axles and steering column. The exterior has a purple lacquer job, white top, pin striping and chromed underpinning.
This car was originally restored in 1954 by Dick Ouelette and fellow member of the Cam-Snappers Hot Rod Club in Newburyport, MA. This club was founded two years before the LA Roadsters in California. The current owner has timing slips showing the car racing in Sanford, ME in 1957 with Ouelette driving. During the most recent restoration every piece of chrome was retained as original.
This 1932 'Golden Rod' Ford Roadster was created by Jack Lentz in Bedford, NJ when he got back from Korea in 1953. He was able to buy the car for $75. The original 1932 Ford body is shaved, decked, channeled and lowered over a modified original chassis. The windshield is a rear window from a car, cut and upside down. He got used parts from a junkyard, for example, the fenders are the side-mount covers from a Reo Royale hearse. The two fenders provided the four fenders for the hotrod. The car is powered by a 1949 Mercury flathead V8, 255.4 cubic-inch engine with Weiand heads and twin Stromberg carburetors on a Fenton manifold. The engine is coupled to a three-speed Ford manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle and transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes all riding on a 106 inch wheelbase.
This 1932 Norm Wallace Roadster was finished in 1955. Since then the car has attended many shows and taken first through the 1950s when shown. In 1958 the car attended the Hartford, Connecticut Autorama and won Best Street Rod, Most Popular Car, Best Car in Show and Sweepstakes Award presented by Wally Parks. It was Cover Car in the September 1958 issue of Hot Rod and every publication in that time period.
This Fitzgerald Roadster was built three times by the owner. First, from 1952-1954 while he was in high school. It was rebuilt again in 1959 following a road accident. This rebuild introduced the owner designed tubular frame and independent front suspension. It was rebuilt again in 2004 after a nationwide search. Body panels and nose, plus Halibrand wheels and introduced dual master brake cylinders and adjustable balance beam technology. This car was the New England Champion A Roadster in 1953-54. It also won three hill climb events.
In 1945 and early 1946, 17 year old Ray Brown built this Hi-Boy Roadster while working for Eddie Meyer engineering in Hollywood, CA. He painted the rod distinctive Sherwood Green, an available 1946 Buick color and raced it on the dry lakes in 1946 and 1947. In 1948, Ray sold the car and from 1949 through 1991, it was in dry storage and saw little use. In 1991 the roadster was discovered in untouched condition, complete with eleven timing tags. Following a ground-up restoration, the Hi-Boy has returned to its original racing configuration. It has won AACA Junior and Senior awards, and was the recipient of the 1994 AACA 'Past President's Award' - the highest honor a competition car can receive.
This is the famous 'Neumeister Hot Rod' featured in the May and June issues of Hot Rod Magazine and was featured as the first ever 'How to Build a Hot Rod' feature. The relationship between World War II veteran builder Bud Neumeisster and then owner of Hot Rod Magazine and founder of NHRA, Wally Parks is well documented. Never Molested, this roadster is completely original except for a freshening and paint by Dave Crouse. Neumeister and Parks were reunited 50 years after the car was featured on the cover of Hot Rod at the 2004 Grand National Roadster show. The car is featured in many publications, including Ken Gross's, 'Art of the Hot Rod.'
This 1932 Ford Highboy Roadster is the first in a series of five deuce roadsters built by Vern Tardel, in Santa Rosa, California. The chassis consist of an American Stamping 32 rails, a Vern Tardel Enterprises reproduction K-Member, and model A front and rear cross members. A 1932 Ford heavy axle, dropped 3 inches sits the front end down. A Model A rear spring, Vern Tarde reversed eye front spring, and tubular shocks are responsible for the suspension. A Brookville body rest on top, with 1946 Ford taillights, Guide headlights, a two-inch chopped windshield, and 1934 exterior door handles. Power is provided by a Vern Tardel built French flathead, equipped with a French crankshaft (four inch stroke), adjustable lifters, Sharp heads and intake manifold topped with a trio of Stromberg carburetors with quick change rear-end and a 1939 Ford transmission. The car sits on Kelsey Hayes 4x16 inch wheels, with Firestone Deluxe Champion tires. Steering is handled by an F-1 steering box (modified with the Vern Tardel Steering Box Flange), topped with a 1940 Ford Standard steering wheel. Brakes are of a 1940 Ford. In June of 2014, the United States Postal Service featured this 32 Highboy Roadster on the commemorative 'Hot Rods' forever stamp.
Tom McMullen became a hot rodding legend due in large part to his most famous creation, this 1932 Ford Deuce roadster, which had already appeared in publicity shots for actor Nick Adams and the 'Life of Riley' and 'Lassie' TV shows.
McMullen purchased the Roadster in 1958 and was dissatisfied with the performance and began a series of modifications that included a GMC 4-71 supercharged 301 CI small block engine, a Halibrand quick-change, a parachute and pressurized Moon fuel tank up front. 'Big Daddy' Ed Roth laid out the McMullen-sprayed flames and added his trademark pin-striping. It gave the car the trend-setting look that caught the imagination of a generation of hot rodders when it appeared on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine in April 1963. McMullen then switched to a 327 CI engine, famously racing on the street, the drag strip and on the dry lake bed of El Mirage where he set the A/Street Roadster record of 167 miles-per-hour.
In 1948 Bill Likes decided to build a 1932 Roadster to race at Bonneville. At his success on his first trip he removed the heavy 1932 body and mounted a 1929 Roadster body in its place to save weight and go even faster. Using experimental parts from Vic Edelbrock Sr. he did just that going on to hold 13 land speed records between 1948 and 1953.
This 1932 Ford Roadster was built and owned by Californian Ray De Fillipi in the 1950s. This car shows the low and racy profile that could be achieved by channeling - a hot rod builder's technique that lowered the body of the car over the frame rails. The car was seen in the television sitcom, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, with their two sons, hot rod enthusiasts Dave and Rick Nelson, in the car. This is one of very few early hotrods to have survived with few additional modifications and its history documented from day one. It was restored by Don Orosco.
This car was the first Hot Rod to gain national notoriety after it was featured in the September 1947 edition of Look magazine. It was constructed by Road Runner Club members Jerry S. and Ken Crawford. The original Ford body was removed and channeled, the external handles were filled and all external hinges and bumpers were faired in. A custom hood was built and a tonneau was added for racing. Starting with a war surplus block, the displacement of the engine was increased to 276 cubic-inches and was ported and relieved to gain every ounce of power available. This car became a dual purpose Hot Rod used on both the streets of LA and the dry lakes. The roadster was selected as one of the ten most outstanding Southern California Timing Association cars ever built. It graced the cover of the August 23, 1947 S.C.T.A. program.
Sold for $151,800 at 2015 Gooding & Company. This 1932 Ford Roadster has a history that traces back to July 1946, when it was purchased by Jack Kukura of Bell, California for $385. Kukura races this car at Southern California Timing Association (S.C.T.A.) events on the dry lakes from 1947 through 1960. He also raced it at the Bonneville Salt Flats in the late 1950s.
In May of 1947, Kukura began racing the car at El Mirage where it ran 97.29 mph. By October of 1947, it had been fitted with a Mercury V-8 engine which gave it a top speed of 120-plus mph. It continued to be raced by Kukura with a flathead engine through 1956, the same year he received the Gear Grinders Die Hard Award (he was an early member of the club).
In 1957, Kukura fitted the car with a blown Chrysler 454 CID Hemi engine, giving the car even more speed, with several runs clocked between 145 and 190 mph. In 1960, Kukura and driver Jim Lindsley attempted to beat their record of 189.93 mph at Bonneville. The roadster spun out at 200 mph and after coming to a controlled stop, he declined to make the return run. The roadster was retired from racing after 1960, but he kept it until he passed away in 2005. The car made on last appearance at the 1986 L.A. Roadster Show in Pomona, California.
After Kukura's passing, the car has had only two private owners. The current owner entrusted the car to American Classics and Performance in Cotati who returned the roadster to running order while preserving its original condition.
This steel Ford body is finished in classic gray primer. It has 1939 Ford taillights and 1946 hubcaps. There are Bonneville push bars, Stewart Warner flat glass gauges, Moon 'big foot' pedal, and blue vinyl bench seat, sourced from a Los Angeles Metro bus. It has eight of its original timing tags as well as the custom side pipes and roll bar fabricated by Gear Grinder Bob Snook. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2015
This '32 Ford 'Deuce' is a modern build done in period-correct flair. It was built in 2009 and was constructed by the former owner of the SoCal Speed Shop franchise in New England. The body is a '32 but the door handles and side curtain mounts have been shaved. It has a 1940s Ford steering wheel, and a long-throw shifter - now connected to an automatic gearbox. There are Stewart-Warner gauges, low profile folding top, red leather interior with white accents, and is powered by a Chevy small-block V8 outfitted with a quad Rochester carburetor intake manifold topped with velocity stacks and Edelbrock heads.
There are 1940s Ford wheels, polished hubcaps, wide whitewall tires, and finned disc brakes. There is a GM Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 transmission and a Ford 10.5-inch rear-end.
The car is signed by hot rod building legends Jimmy Shine and Pete Chapouris. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2016
This car, currently on display at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY, features an all-steel body, new frame and suspension, chrome drop axle, disc brakes, Flaming River polished tilt §teering column, rack and pinion, Banjo §teering wheel, nine-inch Ford rear end wîth coil over suspension, GM Performance ZZ 454 crate engine, GM aluminum heads, turbo 400 automatic transmission, tan/black leather interior wîth tan Haatz convertible top, leather lined trunk, glass rear window, A/C, power windows and doors, and stainless exhaust wîth coated manifolds.Source - Corvette Museum
In May of 1930, engineer Arnoth Soth began work on a V8 under the direction of Laurence Sheldrick. With a displacement of 299 cubic inches, is 60-degree V8 had a square design. Henry Ford's directives however gave the engineers additional problems, as he wanted this engine built without an oil pump. The flywheel instead would throw oil into on a tank in valve chambers where it would then run down to the bearings. The engine quickly burned out on the dynamometer.
Both the Ford Model 18 and the Ford Model B were seen as Dearborn's response to the Depression. Following a 19-year production run of the Model T, the vehicle upon which Ford's empire was founded which had had a production run of over 15 million units, it was time to focus elsewhere. In 1932, the Model B was introduced as a new Ford vehicle, which was quite simply an updated version of the Model A, and was eventually replaced by the '35 Model 48. As Ford was unveiling the Model B, they were also producing a very similar vehicle with Ford's new Flathead V8 engine, and it was marketed as the Model 18, though it was more commonly called the Ford V-8 today. It was basically indistinguishable from the Model B, and up until this time, Ford had always produced just on basic vehicle at a time. The design behind the Ford Model 18, beginning with the V8 engine, involved the planning and input of many people.
The two versions of the 1932 Ford, the V8 flathead and a four-cylinder came in a variety of body styles, the 2 door cabriolet, the 2 door roadster, 4 door phaeton, two and four door sedans, four door 'Woodie' station wagon, two door Convertible Sedan, two door Victoria, Panel and Sedan Deliveries, 5-window coupe, and the 3-window Deluxe Coupe. The less popular model was the four-cylinder model, a refined version of the four-cylinder Model A. The Model 18 was broken down as the deuce, the '1' standing for 'first' and the '8' for the V-8. The nomenclature Deuce coupe was a slang term that was used to refer to the 1932 Ford coupe, which was derived from the year of the manufacture.
Billed as a five-passenger coupe, the 1932 Ford Model 18 Victoria could as easily been dubbed a close-coupled two-door sedan. The U.S. only received 8,586 units of the 1932 Ford Victoria's. In secret, Henry Ford organized his engineers Ray Laird and Carl Shultz to begin working on his own ideas in Thomas Edison's old Fort Myers lab. This laboratory had been moved from Florida to Henry's newly established Greenfield Village lab in Dearborn, Michigan.
Next, Henry Ford asked Ed Huff, head of the electrical laboratory, to develop the ignition system. Huff didn't think that the ignition system could be done the way Ford envisioned, and told Ford this. Henry Ford wasn't happy with this response and instead when to Emil Zoerlein to develop the ignition system, and to keep his work on the down low. The design that he came up with was very similar to those found today, mounted on the front of the engine and driven directly from the camshaft.
Since business at the Ford industry was going quite well in 1930, Laird and Shultz saw little reasoning behind turning Ford's ideas into reality. After all, Ford was selling nearly double Chevy's total, more than one-million vehicles. In November of 1930, Shultz and Laird finally reached success, when two different 90-degree V8 designs were completed. One of the designs had the same square dimensions as the doomed 299-inch Soth engine, while the other engine had a bore of 3.375 inches and a stroke of 3.25 inches, which gave a displacement of 232.5 cubic inches.
Herman Reinhold aided in secretly casting blocks at the Rouge and by February of 1931 the first engine was up and running. Four engines that were dubbed Model 24 were installed in updated Model A models by June. Thinking that this wasn't the time to follow through with this experiment, Ford decided that the Depression was looming and that business was bad, so he instead decided to release an improved Model A. Work on that model began in late summer of 1931.
By 1931, the new engines were being tested, and the Ford Rouge plant was humming with busy activity. The new inline four had to prove a significant improvement over the Model A engine. A variety of modifications were made to increase to power output of the basic 200.5-cubic-inch block. Exploited, but with careful balancing, a high-lift cam, new larger mains, new rods with larger bearings and new crank were added.
In November, the engine was put into production, and engineers truly believed that they had the perfect four. The original successful V8 engine in a low-priced vehicle, the 1932 Model 18 was the signature achievement for Ford. The Roadster was priced at $460, the coupe at $490 and the convertible sedan for $650. The total production for the Roadster peaked at 12,597 and 124,101 for the two-door sedan. Today, the roadster and the coupe body styles are utilized more often in making the models into street-rods. Much like all 1932 Ford Victoria Model 18 V8's, this vehicle ran on a 106.5-inch wheelbase, and from a distance, the 1932 model didn't look much different from the Model A. When one looks closer though you could see that this was an all-new model from radiator cap to taillight. According to Edsel, this was by far ‘the best-looking Ford yet'.
The Ford Model 18 phaeton V8 featured a sidemount spare, a leather interior and a luggage rack. Inside, the instruments included an 80-mph speedometer that was placed in a very handsome, engine turned oval housing that was trimmed with a stainless bead strip and placed in a mahogany color panel. This was a design them that was borrowed from the Lincoln. The standard top-hinged windshield opened on a pair of adjustable arms, and the sun visor was arranged to swing out of the way. Available options were fine wool, mohair and leather upholstery. The bodies were available in a variety of colors with contrasting reveals and pinstriping and in Ford tradition, fenders on all models were dipped in black enamel.
The first Ford to feature a grille which hid the radiator, the 1932 Ford Model 18 coupe was quite revolutionary.
The Roadster is most likely the most popular model, though only 15,115 were constructed worldwide, and 9,268 of them came with the V8. The Roadster had a much more ‘jaunty' look, in comparison to the cabriolet, which was a true convertible. For 1933 the power from the V8 was increased to 75 hp with a revised ignition system. The four-cylinder engine remained unchanged, and total sales for the model year were up to 311,113. Only 568 units of the adorable V8 roadster version of the 1932 Ford Model 18 station wagon were sold, while the DeLuxe Ford coupe attracted 21,175 buyers.
The Ford Model 18 and the Ford Model B weren't able to drag the country out of the depression. If customers couldn't find work to earn the money to pay for them, Henry Ford could hardly expect his cars for the masses to be purchased. Sales were low until June 1932 because of the slow production start-up, but they reached 55,000 units. It wasn't until July that Ford realized he just couldn't keep up with the demand. Sales fell, production was halved, and wages were cut.
From July until September of 1932, production stayed close to 20,000 units a month, but it eventually tapered off along with sales. In October sales peaked, but one month later, layoffs were rampant, and more than three-quarters of a million Michigan workers were unemployed. Four of Ford's 33 United States plants had been closed down, and another by January. A little over 300,000 cars were produced for North America for 1932, much lower than Ford's predicted million and a half.By Jessica Donaldson
Raw power gets a stamp of its own today as seven-time NASCAR National Champion Richard Petty helps dedicate the America on the Move: Muscle Cars Forever stamps.
Petty, his son Kyle and Postmaster General...