330 Custom 2-Door Station Wagon
First of the postwar compact cars, the Rambler American found a loyal following in the 1950s and 1960s among buyers seeking reliability and economy. The first-gen American was built from 1950 through 1955. In an unusual move, it was brought back in 1958 and continued through 1960 with minor revisions. A 1961 update featured straightforward lines and squared-up rooflines. Changes were minor in both 1962 and 1963. A new design, based heavily on the Rambler Classic, was introduced in 1964.
The 1963 American, built with robust unitized body/frame construction, sat on a short 100-inch wheelbase with a remarkably compact 173.1-inch overall length. Model choices included a two-door sedan, four-door sedan, four-door wagon, two-door wagon, convertible and a new-for-1963 two-door hardtop. A 90-horsepower, 195-cubic-inch flathead six-cylinder engine was standard on all models and a 138-hosrepower overhead-valve version was available on the top-of-the-line series 440 models.
Edna Faye Helderman, mother of the current owner, purchased this American 330 station wagon brand new in July of 1963. She bought it to transport antiques for her resale shop in Cambridge City, Indiana. One of only 3,204 2-door wagons built, it was the only new car she ever bought.