Bugatti Type 51A and Incredibly Original Porsche 911 2.7 RS Lightweight Take the Spotlight on RM Sotheby's Rétromobile Stand
February 7, 2018 by RM Sothebys
• RM Sotheby's displays early highlights for its Monaco sale at Rétromobile
• Beautiful 1933 Bugatti Type 51A with extensive pre-war racing history and historically significant, totally unrestored 1972 Porsche 911 2.7 RS Lightweight used by Leo Kinnunen lead early entries for RM's sale in the Principality on 12 May
• Both cars on view at Rétromobile, 7-11 February in Paris (Hall 1 Stand M132)
• Further event information available at www.rmsothebys.com
PARIS (7 February 2017) –
In addition to presenting an outstanding selection of motor cars to be sold at Place Vauban today in Paris, RM Sotheby's is treating visitors to Rétromobile with an advanced viewing of two wonderful and highly significant cars. Featuring on the stand is a stunning Bugatti Type 51A, one of the most iconic Grand Prix cars of all time, alongside a highly collectable and incredibly original 1972 Porsche 911 2.7 RS Lightweight, which forms part of a small single-owner collection of significant Porsches to be offered at the Monaco sale on 12 May 2018 during the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique.
Resplendent in French racing blue, the 1933 Bugatti Type 51A, chassis no. 51154, boasts an exemplary provenance, having passed through the hands of some of the world's leading and most respected collectors. The car was first registered by Automobiles Ettore Bugatti at Préfecture du Bas-Rhin on 4 July 1933. During its life, the car was extensively raced by no less than René Dreyfus, Claude 'Barowski' Bossu, and in more recent times has competed at the Goodwood Revival and the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique. The car returns to the Principality this spring (Estimate available upon request).
Undoubtedly the jewel of the early Porsche 911 range, any 2.7 RS Lightweight is a special car. But when such a car is in exceptional and totally unrestored condition and with outstanding documented provenance, it is surely a prized car to be coveted by any serious collector of the Stuttgart marque.
Chassis no. 9113601177 was delivered new to racing driver Leo Kinnunen whilst he was driving for Porsche in a fearsome Interserie 917. Kinnunen contested the 1000 Lakes Rally in 1973, and he used the 2.7 RS as his recce in preparation for the demanding event. Finished in Tangerine with a black interior, the car is also notable for being fitted with a prototype whale tail rear spoiler and also features ST flared arches, which were fitted by Porsche at Kinnunen's request.
As Rétromobile opens, RM Sotheby's is eagerly anticipating its fifth annual Paris sale, which begins this evening at 18h at Place Vauban. 84 incredible vehicles are on offer, led by a supremely original 1953 Ferrari 166 MM Spider, chassis no. 0272 M, which contested both the 1953 and 1954 Mille Miglia and appeared in both a Shell Mille Miglia promotional film as well as the Hollywood film, The Racers, starring Kirk Douglas.
Additional featured highlights for RM Sotheby's fifth annual Paris sale include:
Trending NewsRM Sotheby's Announces Exquisite Duo Of Iconic Ferraris For Online Only: Shift/Monterey AuctionMitsubishi Motors Reports Second Quarter 2020 SalesVolvo Car USA Posts Positive Year-Over-Year Sales Result For JuneBMW Of North America Reports Q2 2020 Sales ResultsNissan Group Reports Second-Quarter 2020 U.S. Sales
• 1993 Bugatti EB 110 Super Sport Prototype, an ultra-rare prototype with unique factory modifications and showing just 3,300 km from new (Est. €850.000 - €1.100.000);
• 2014 McLaren P1, with numerous McLaren Special Operations custom features and just 6,000 km from new (Est. €1.700.000 - €2.000.000);
• 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB Alloy, a matching numbers, Classiche certified example clothed in desirable 'long-nose' alloy bodywork (Est. €2.400.000 - €2.800.000);
• 2005 Maserati MC12, one of just 50 ever built, and one of six cars offered as part of a private collection entirely without reserve (Est. €2.000.000 - €2.500.000); and,
• 1958 BMW 507 Roadster Series II, highly original throughout and having had just two German owners from new, including single ownership for more than four decades (Est. €1.600.000 - €1.800.000).
Coinciding with the world-famous Rétromobile week (7-11 February 2018), RM Sotheby's Paris auction will be held at Place Vauban (behind Les Invac tonight.
For further information on RM Sotheby's Paris sale, to view the complete digital catalogue, or to register to bid, please visit www.rmsothebys.com. To speak to an RM Sotheby's car specialist about entering your important car in the company's biennial Monaco sale this spring, please call +44 (0) 20 7851 7070.
• 2017 Bugatti Chiron, one of the first 20 examples to be delivered worldwide (Est. €3.200.000 - €3.600.000);
Follow: www.instagram.com/rmsothebys / www.twitter.com/rmsothebys
About RM Sotheby's
RM Sotheby's is the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles. With more than 35 years' experience in the collector car industry, RM's vertically integrated range of services, from private treaty sales and auctions (including both RM Sotheby's and RM Auctions events) to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. In February 2015, RM formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby's, uniting the two companies for the full calendar of future automobile auctions. For further information, visit www.rmsothebys.com.
FOR MORE NEWS FROM RM SOTHEBY'S: #RMPARIS