RM Sotheby's Achieves $149,334 Total For Pedal Power Auction As Little Cars Bring Big Results
June 28, 2020 by RM SothebysNEARLY EACH EXAMPLE EXCEEDS PRE-SALE ESTIMATE
SALES LED BY JUNIOR FORTY 'J40' ROADSTER, CA. 1955 at $9,900
• RM Sotheby's Online Only: Pedal Power auction exceeds expectations, generating $149,334 in total sales
• Many of the lots in the Online Only auction exceed their high pre-sale estimates, demonstrating a strong demand for pristine and collectible examples
• Sales led by a Junior Forty 'J40' Roadster, ca. 1955, achieving more than three times its high pre-sale estimate at $9,900
• Complete auction results available at rmsothebys.com
• RM Sotheby's Online Only: A Lifetime of Porsche Memorabilia, Part I currently open for bidding, with lots closing on 29-30 June
BLENHEIM, Ontario (24 June 2020) –
Today, RM Sotheby's concluded the cutest auction offered via its Online Only platform yet, the Pedal Power auction, with total sales reaching $149,334. The online auction, offered entirely without reserve, featured 53 museum-quality pedal-powered vehicles, including cars, trucks, boats, and airplanes dating from 1927 to 1977, offered on behalf of pedal car expert and restorer Bruce Callis. The auction drew strong bidding activity with 44 percent of bidders representing first-time RM Sotheby's clientele and nearly 85 percent of the lots in the collection exceeding their high pre-sale estimates, demonstrating a strong demand for pristine and collectible examples.
Leading the sale is the high-end Junior Forty 'J40' Roadster, ca. 1955, produced using unused materials from the Austin A40 Devon and Dorset production process. Featuring an opening hood and trunk, spare tire, working horn, and battery powered lights, the J40 received a total of 38 bids before selling for a final $9,900—more than three times its high pre-sale estimate. Taking the second top sale slot, the luxurious Lincoln-Zephyr, 1941 accrued the most bids on a single lot at 65 total bids and achieved an impressive $8,700 (est. $2/3k). Rounding out the top three is the Chrysler Airflow, ca. 1935. Produced by Steelcraft and featuring working headlights, the Chrysler pedal car surpassed its pre-sale estimate of $1,200 – $1,800 and brought in a final $6,600.
Additional standout highlights within the collection that smashed their pre-sale estimates include a Buick, 1941, which achieved $6,000 (est. $1/1.5k); a highly original Scout Master, 1929, made of hardwood with an aluminum nose cone, propeller, seat, and wings, which sold for $5,520 (est. $1/1.5k); a Jet Hawk, ca. 1957, modeled after the Studebaker Hawk series, at $4,800 (est. $800/1.2k); a Dodge Fire Chief, 1935, featuring functional headlights, which sold for nearly five times its high pre-sale estimate at $4,440; and a Dodge Custom Royal Lancer, 1957, featuring the distinctive tailfins seen on the adult-sized model, at $4,200 (est. $1/1.5k).
Top Ten Sales
1. Lot 107 Junior Forty 'J40' Roadster, ca. 1955 $9,900.00
2. Lot 152 Lincoln-Zephyr, 1941 $8,700.00
3. Lot 105 Chrysler Airflow, ca. 1935 $6,600.00
4. Lot 145 Buick, 1941 $6,000.00
5. Lot 136 Scout Master, 1929 $5,520.00
6. Lot 134 Jet Hawk, ca. 1957 $4,800.00
7. Lot 115 Skipper Run-A-Bout, 1968 $4,560.00
8. Lot 149 Dodge Fire Chief, 1935 $4,440.00
9. Lot 142 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer, 1957 $4,200.00
10. Lot 124 Chevrolet, ca. 1935 $4,080.00
RM Sotheby's continues its Online Only summer auction calendar with A Lifetime of Porsche Memorabilia, Part I, which is currently open for bidding on rmsothebys.com with lots closing in a staggered format on 29-30 June. Offered entirely without reserve from a highly regarded single-owner collection, the auction comprises approximately 225 rare and highly sought-after Porsche collectibles, including early factory gifts and promotional items; factory-printed materials; toys and model cars; and motor car parts and accessories.
Complete results from RM Sotheby's Online Only: Pedal Power auction as well as additional information on upcoming auctions are available at rmsothebys.com. RM Sotheby's Online Only Summer 2020 Calendar is also available via the Media Center.
Results are listed in USD and include a buyer's premium of 20 percent.