Mitsubishi Motors Reports Second Quarter 2020 Sales
July 2, 2020 by MitsubishiFRANKLIN, Tenn. –
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) today reported second-quarter 2020 sales of 12,197 vehicles, down 58 percent over the same period of 2019. Calendar year-to-date sales through the end of June totaled 47,760 vehicles, a decrease of 33 percent compared with the same period in 2019.
News and Notes
• State and local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic caused sales to be stopped in many dealerships across the country early in the quarter. Since then, retail sales are approaching pre-COVID levels, with a decrease in available fleet sales impacting total volumes
• Mitsubishi Motors was the highest-ranked Japanese brand, placed sixth overall, and saw the greatest year-over-year improvement in ranking in the recent J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS). Additionally, the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport tied for third in Small SUV category.
• Following last year's relocation to Franklin, Tenn., MMNA is ready to move into its permanent headquarters, once COVID-19-related restrictions ease. The state-of-the-art space and long-term lease are the most tangible demonstration of MMNA's ongoing plan to reinvigorate its presence and vehicle offerings in the U.S. marketplace.
• Since the relocation, Mitsubishi has hired more than 140 new employee team members, with 23 joining during the mandated COVID-19 work-from-home.
• Nearly all Mitsubishi dealerships are currently open for business, and safely operating according to federal, state and local guidelines, though new state-by-state COVID cases may affect that.
• Mitsubishi support to dealer partners and customers amid the COVID-19 crisis includes reimbursing for 100 percent of dealers' COVID-19-related supplies and support expenses; developing remote, low and no-contact sales and service procedures and ramping up customer service efforts to support online sales.
• This is the first Mitsubishi Motors quarterly sales report. Third quarter sales, July through September, will be reported on October 1, 2020.