RM Sotheby's Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction Grosses In Excess Of €8M
July 23, 2020 by RM SothebysONLINE ONLY AUCTIONS CONTINUE TO ATTRACT HIGH-QUALITY CONSIGNMENTS AND BUYERS AS LATEST RM SOTHEBY'S EUROPEAN-BASED AUCTION POSTS SOLID RESULTS
• The 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Alloy by Scaglietti, part of the Richoz Collection, tops the bids at €1,430,000
• Equally the centre of attention, the one-of-one 1969 Sonny Levi designed 'G. Cinquanta' G50 speed boat achieves an excellent €450,000
• World Rallying royalty in the form of the 1985 Lancia Delta S4 garnered much attention in the early bidding, eventually selling for €770,000
• Lot 152, the 2009 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722 S Roadster saw a flurry of bids right up until closing, securing a high bid of €605,000
• Final auction total of €8,234,605 makes for yet another successful Online Only auction from RM Sotheby's
LONDON (23 July 2020) – The latest European auction from RM Sotheby's—Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction—closed for bidding yesterday, generating €8.23 million in total sales with bidders hailing from no less than 41 countries.
This is the second European-based sale to be held via RM Sotheby's' proprietary Online Only platform and yet again proved the auction house's expertise in attracting potential buyers from all around the world to bid on the world's rarest and most collectable cars and in this instance, boats too.
Headlining the top results was a 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Alloy by Scaglietti, part of the Richoz Collection, which achieved €1,430,000. Produced in January 1966, this aluminium-bodied 275 GTB represents a highly desirable specification of this much sought-after Ferrari model, and was delivered new to Switzerland where it has remained throughout its life.
One of the other rarities in the Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction, and which attracted much pre-sale attention, was a genuinely unique 1968 Sonny Levi designed power boat — the 'G. Cinquanta' G50, created new for charismatic Fiat boss, Gianni Agnelli. With a brief that demanded the boat to be quick and reliable while being able to negotiate mixed weather conditions on the ocean, whilst also offering comfort, prestigious marine designer, Renato 'Sonny' Levi, created the 37ft 'G. Cinquanta' G50 as the answer to Agnelli's desires. This one-of-one speed boat boasts four new BPM V-8 Vulcano engines, producing even more power than the originals and perfectly capable of taking the G50 to its top running speed of 50 knots (92 km/h). This stunning one-off boat achieved an outstanding €450,000.
One of the most iconic World Rally cars of all time—the 1985 Lancia Delta S4— went under the hammer and achieved €770,000 when bidding closed. Chassis 207 was first campaigned in the final round of the 1985 World Rally Championship under the famous Lancia Martini team. Driven by noted Finnish drivers Markku Alén and Ilkka Kivimaki, chassis 207 finished an impressive 2nd overall at the Lombard RAC Rally, separated by less than 60 seconds from the winners after 63 stages and 880 km.
Other notable sales included the 2009 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722 S Roadster, which saw a late flurry of bids right up until the auction closed. This sleek yet brutally fast drop-top went for €605,000.
Maarten ten Holder, Head of Europe, RM Sotheby's, says: 'Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, our business has had to adapt to new ways of connecting buyers and sellers of rare and exquisite machinery, and this latest Online Only auction is further evidence that our online auction platform is working supremely well. Surpassing €8m in sales is a good result for all concerned and the market continues to demonstrate resilience during the difficult year for the global economy.'
1. Lot 132 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Alloy €1,430,000
2. Lot 240 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally €770,000
3. Lot 152 2009 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722 S Roadster €605,000
4. Lot 255 1968 Sonny Levi 'G. Cinquanta' €450,000
5. Lot 131 1970 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Berlinetta €434,500
6. Lot 127 1976 Inaltera GTP-Cosworth €374,000
7. Lot 130 1974 Ferrari 365 GT4 BB €269,500
8. Lot 138 1989 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante 'X-Pack' €230,000
9. Lot 237 1954 Porsche 356 1500 Cabriolet €198,000
10. Lot 133 1962 Jaguar E-Type Series 1 3.8-Litre Roadster €154,000
11. Lot 150 1984 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 'Oscar India' €154,000
RM Sotheby's is currently holding its Online Only auction platform with A Lifetime of Porsche Memorabilia, Part II. Offered entirely without reserve from a highly regarded single-owner collection, the lineup comprises over 225 lots. Bidding opened on 21 July at 1:00 p.m. EDT, and is closing across two days, 28–29 July, beginning at 10:00 a.m. EDT, with lots closing in two-minute increments. This is the second auction featuring an outstanding group of Porsche memorabilia curated over a lifetime, featuring a wide array of rare and desirable collectables, including early factory gifts and promotional items; factory-printed materials, including commemorative racing posters, sales brochures, technical literature, press releases and kits, and service manuals; and Porsche toys and model cars.
Complete results from RM Sotheby's Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction as well as additional information on upcoming auctions are available at rmsothebys.com.
1. Results are listed in EURO and include buyer's premium (10 percent of the hammer price for all motor car lots, 20 percent of the hammer price for all memorabilia and non-motor car lots).