NATALIE WOOD'S 300 SL ROADSTER JOINS STUNNING LIST OF ENTRIES FOR RM'S AMELIA ISLAND SALECompany press release.
• RM Auctions announces additional highlights for its 16th annual Amelia Island sale, held March 8th at the Ritz-Carlton
• Recent entries are led by a 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster that was originally owned by Hollywood actress Natalie Wood
• As the official auction house of the world-renowned Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, RM's single-day sale will feature a roster of more than 80 handpicked automobiles
• A frequently updated list of consignments is available online at www.rmauctions.com
BLENHEIM, Ontario (January 14, 2014)
– RM Auctions, the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles, is delighted to announce additional blue-chip consignments for its upcoming Amelia Island, Florida, sale, held March 8th at the beautiful Ritz-Carlton. Led by an award-winning 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster, chassis 198.042.7500569, which was originally owned by Natalie Wood, the list of recent entries offers something for every discerning collector, including highly desirable sports cars, a vintage racer that is ready to return to the track, and an elegant American classic.
With striking good looks and performance, the 300 SL Roadster proved to be the vehicle of choice for those with exceptional taste in aesthetics and cutting-edge engineering, often winding up in celebrity garages of the era. The example offered at RM's Amelia Island sale is one of only 25 fitted by the factory with the extremely desirable Rudge wheels, and it was purchased new in January 1958 by none other than legendary Hollywood actress Natalie Wood, at the age of only 19. Although the 300 SL was delivered in a gorgeous shade of Mercedes-Benz Silver, Wood had the car repainted a bright pink, but she kept the red leather interior. No other car in Hollywood attracted more attention at the time, especially with the beautiful actress behind the wheel. The car was later refinished in its current ravishing color combination of Mercedes-Benz Silver Blue with a red leather interior and dark blue convertible top, and it was fully and authentically restored in 2000 by model expert Rudi Koniczek. Proving its impeccable current condition, the 300 SL performed effortlessly in the 2010 Colorado Grand, and it took home Best in Class honors amidst an excellent field at the 2012 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. Also in 2012, Ms. Wood's 300 SL made its return to Hollywood, where it was displayed by Mercedes-Benz U.S.A. in an exclusive exhibition titled 'SL@Hollywood - Celebrating 60 Years of a Living Legend' at the Warner Brothers Studios in Los Angeles, honoring the actress' career and demonstrating the connection of the SL family of cars to Hollywood's elite (Estimate: $1,400,000–$1,750,000).
'The 300 SL market is hungry for high-quality restorations with desirable factory options,' says Gord Duff, Car Specialist, RM Auctions. 'This particular car's originality, rare Rudge wheels, celebrity provenance, touring capabilities, and Amelia Island Concours-awarded restoration make it arguably one of the finest 300 SL Roadsters available today.'
Additional notable highlights for the one-day sale include:
• a fascinating late pre-production 1986 Porsche 959 'Vorserie', chassis WPOZZZ93ZFS010063, which was used by Porsche as a demonstrator until 1989, when it was upgraded to full 959 production Komfort specification. The 959 is complete with extensive documentation and is presented in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition (Estimate: $575,000–$725,000);
• one of Bugatti's most iconic Grand Prix models, a 1928 Bugatti Type 37A Grand Prix, chassis 37343, documented by noted Bugatti historian David Sewell and recently serviced (Estimate: $900,000–$1,300,000);
• a 1934 Duesenberg Model SJ Convertible Sedan, engine no. J-494, which was one of a few Duesenbergs that were supercharged when new and is the only SJ chassis to have carried this elegant LeBaron coachwork. The example on offer boasts known history from new and its original engine, body, and chassis (Estimate: $1,500,000–$1,750,000);
Trending NewsFleetwood CoachworkGreenwich Concours d'Elegance Winner Announced - 1927 Mercedes-Benz takes Best In ShowFuelFest Announces Barrett-Jackson Sponsorship of VIP LoungeTreat and spoil your loved ones this festive season – with gifts from the Bentley CollectionVolkswagen provides e-up!, ID.3 and ID.4 models to electric car subscription service Onto
• a highly competitive and incredibly successful 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350 R, chassis SFM5R538, known as the 'winningest' Shelby ever, it is one of only 33 'R-Code' production competition cars (Est. $900,000–$1,100,000); and
As the official auction house of the famed Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, RM's Amelia Island sale will feature a magnificent selection of more than 80 handpicked automobiles, with an emphasis on important and historic sports and racing cars, along with elegant coachbuilt classics. Full events details, including a frequently updated list of consignments, are available online at www.rmauctions.com or by calling toll free at 1 800 211 4371 (+1 519 352 4575 outside North America).
For those unable to attend the event in person, RM offers a broad range of remote bidding options, including Internet, absentee, and telephone bidding, and the auction will stream live online at www.rmauctions.com to provide real-time coverage of the sale.
Top: 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster, photo credit Mark Staff Courtesy of RM Auctions
Bottom: 1934 Duesenberg Model SJ Convertible Sedan, photo credit Ryan Merrill Courtesy of RM Auctions
About RM Auctions
RM Auctions is the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles. With over three decades of experience in the collector car industry, RM's vertically integrated range of services, from restoration to private treaty sales, auctions, estate planning, and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM proudly holds six of the top ten all-time records for the most expensive motor cars sold at auction. RM's restoration division has achieved unprecedented accolades, earning Best of Show honors at the world's top concours events, including an unmatched five Best of Shows at the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. For further information and 2014 auction dates, please visit www.rmauctions.com, find us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter @rmauctions.
About The Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance
Winner of Octane Magazine's 2013 International Historic Motoring Event of the year, the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance is among the top automotive events in the world. Always held the second full weekend in March, 'The Amelia' draws over 250 rare vehicles from collections around the world to The Golf Club of Amelia Island and The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, for a celebration of the automobile like no other. Since 1996, the show's foundation has donated over $2.2 million to Community Hospice of Northeast Florida, Inc. and other deserving charities on Florida's First Coast. The 19th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance is scheduled for March 7–9, 2014. For more information, visit www.ameliaconcours.org or call +1 904 636 0027.
• an outstandingly original 1941 Chrysler Windsor Town and Country 'Barrelback' Nine-Passenger Station Wagon, chassis 7700759, possibly the best original example in existence, including excellent original finishes, it was owned for 50 years by early collector Glenn Gould (Estimate: $275,000–$350,000).