Sold for $1,677,000 at 2021 Bonhams : Quail Lodge.
Chassis #: AR11512*010*
Engine #: 11512-071
When Alfa Romeo retired from Grand Prix racing after the 1951 season (along with withdrawing from sports car racing in 1953), they would not return to a factory-supported racing program until the fall of 1964. They did, however, keep their name in the motorsport spotlight by providing customer GT, rally, and saloon's throughout the 1950s and 1960s.
In the early 1960s, Orazio Satta Puliga tasked his experimental department to begin work on a sports racing car. The project was given the internal number 105.33 - thus leading to the name, Tipo 33. The project was later passed to Autodelta, the Alfa Romeo competition subsidiary established by former Ferrari engineers Ludovico Chizzola and Carlo Chiti. Between 1967 and 1977, Autodelta designed and built several versions of the Tipo 33.
The early examples of the Tipo 33 were powered by a two-liter, fuel-injected V8 engine. After enduring the typical growing pains, the Tipo 33 proved its potential in 1968, particularly at the 24 Hours of Daytona, where Autodelta entries finished 5-6-7 overall.
At least 30 examples of the original two-liter 33/2s were produced before Autodelta introduced the three-liter Tipo 33/3, of which 20 examples were built. Additionally, another (approximately) 20 Tipo 33 Stradales were built. These were road-going versions of the 33/2 with bodywork designed by Franco Scaglione.
Autodelta introduced a 12-cylinder model of the Tipo 33 in 1973. It was dubbed the TT 12, with the 'TT' referencing the car's tubular chassis. It is believed that six of these cars were built followed by six semi-monocoque 33 SC 12s in 1976. A year later, two 2.1-liter flat-12 33 SC 12 Turbos were built.
The most successful of the Tipo 33 variations was the Tipo 33 TT 12, which recorded seven victories of the eight races they were entered in 1975, along with capturing the FIA World Championship for Alfa Romeo.
This particular example is chassis number 010. It was built in 1975 and raced at that year's 1000 Km of Imola. It then raced in all eight rounds of the 1975 World Championship season, driven primarily by Derek Bell and Henri Pescarolo.
In 1975, due to the political situation in Italy, Autodelta transferred the official racing management to the Willi Kauhsen Racing Team (WKRT), which was active in German-based GT and Interserie racing. The cars were technically entered by the WKRT, however, Autodelta (under the direction of Carlo Chiti), was primarily responsible for the racing program.
The first race for the Alfa Romeos during the 1975 season was at the 1000 Km of Mugello on March 23rd. Chassis 010 was driven by Arturo Merzario and Jacky Ickx, who were able to secure pole position. When the checkered flag fell, the Tipo 33 had earned a 2nd Place Finish. They may have won the race but were forced to take an unexpected pit stop.
The next race for chassis number 010 was at the Dijon circuit in France, where Pescarolo and Bell drove the car to a fourth-place finish. At Monza, chassis 010 (wearing Campari sponsorship) encountered suspension and oil pressure problems. Its next race was at the 1000 Kilometers of Spa where it enjoyed its first victory. Derek Bell drove the car to pole position and then went on to dominate the race.
After Spa, the car was entered in the Coppa Florio in Sicily, where Bell and Pescarolo finished 2nd behind Merzario and Jochen Mass in an experimental Tipo 33. A month later, the car raced at the Nürburgring, but was forced to retire prematurely.
In June, the car raced at the 1000 Km Zeltweg in Austria, where it was driven by Pescarolo and Bell. It finished the race in 1st place and secured the FIA World Championship for Alfa Romeo.
Chassis 010 then came to the United States to race at the Wakins Glen 6 Hours. Pescarolo and Bell drove the car to its third victory in eight races.
After the victorious season, Alfa Romeo retired chassis 010. In 1980, the chassis was sold to its current owner. During his 37-years of ownership, the Tipo 33 has actively campaigned in United States vintage events, including several victories at the Monterey Historic Automobile races.
Currently, chassis 010 is in its 1975 World Championship livery.
This car is one of the six original Tipo 33 TT 12s built. Of the five remaining examples, one is in the Museo Storico Alfa Romeo in Arese, Italy, while another is displayed at the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Powering this car is a 2995cc dual overhead cam flat 12-cylinder engine fitted with Lucas Indirect Fuel injection. It produces 500 horsepower which is sent to the rear wheels via a five-speed manual transaxle. Braking power is provided by the four-wheel ventilated disc brakes.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2017