In the late 1920's automobiles designed by Harry Miller dominated the line-up at the annual Indianapolis 500 race. Equipped with the new 1.5-liter engine in 1926, Miller's Front Drive bristled with technological innovation and was arguably the most advanced race car of its time. With no driveshaft underneath, the driver sat low in the chassis - nine inches lower than in a standard rear-drive. This, combined with Miller's already narrow body design, greatly reduced the new car's frontal area. Between 1922 and 1928, 83-percent of the cars that qualified at Indianapolis were Millers. The race was won by Miller front wheel drive cars in 1926, 1928 and 1929.
Changed regulations for 1926 had limited the size of motors to only 91 cubic-inches (1.5 liters). However, with a centrifugal supercharger, the twin overhead camshaft Miller motor could produce 250 horsepower, with a top speed of 171 mph.
The Miller 91 FWD racecar sold for $15,000. Ten were built.
This is the car that won the Indianapolis 500 race in 1928. It was driven by Leon Duray, who purchased two of the 91 FWD and raced them in Europe, as well. Leon Duray set a single lap speed record of 124.08 mph in 1928 that was not bettered for nine years - the longest-lasting record in Speedway history. He also shattered the records at Monza in this car when he took it to Europe to compete against the leading Alfas and Maserati of the day.