When the British government abolished road fund taxes in 1937 on all motor vehicles, 3-wheeleres were finished in the marketplace. Anticipating the emerging market, Morgan Motors announced its first 4-wheel automobile during December, 1935. After a slow gestation period, the new car's performance proved far exceeded its price and attracted growing numbers of sports-minded buyers who campaigned their Morgans in every form of motorsports available, building an enviable reputation for the marque. First generation Morgan 4-wheel cars were designated the '4-4' and were built suing a variety of engines. More standardized second generation Morgan-4 cars were designated the '4/4' that were available with factory preparation for competition and with special coachwork.
These second generation and earlier Morgans were characterized by their flat grills when the Series III received the curved grill seen on Morgans since. Although always of very limited availability, low slung with nimble handling remained a Morgan virtue. The cars became increasingly civilized over the years with the addition of creature comforts and amenities although the cars continued to be built in the 'classic' way with wooden frames.
Within the Series II Morgans built between 1935 and 1951, three configurations were available including 2- and 4-seat versions. Production of the Morgan 4/4 with the Standard 4-inline 'Special' engine ended during February 1951.