Chassis #: 4CS2
In 1949, Rolls-Royce received an order from Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, for a Rolls-Royce limousine that would be used for ceremonial occasions. His Royal Highness made this decision after he was lent an experimental Bentley with an eight-cylinder engine. The Phantom IV is based on the Silver Wraith chassis, which was strengthened and lengthened to 229 inches with a wheelbase of 145 inches. It came with Rolls-Royce's only straight-8 engine of 5675cc, a four-speed gearbox and independent front suspension. Between 1950 and 1956 just 18 chassis were built but only 15 were ever sold, and only to royalty and heads of state.
This example with two-tone green coachwork, was built by H.J. Mulliner for King Abdullah III, Al-Salim Al-Sabah who was the eleventh monarch and first Emir of Kuwait from January 1950 until his death in 1965. The Phantom IV can run lengthy distances at low speed, perfect for its role as ceremonial transport.