The Stutz Motor Company gained a reputation from its success in racing. While maintaining a racing image, they moved into the luxury car field. Due to financial problems, they were unable to compete head on with names like Cadillac in the cylinder wars. They did succeed in creating engines that produced more horsepower than the bigger V-12s and V-16s available from competitors.
In 1928, Stutz developed a 24 valve, dual overhead cam six-cylinder engine. Advertised horsepower was 122. Only four to six of these are believed to have been built. The engines were intended to power the Blackhawk, a lower cost Stutz model. The engine in this car was originally installed and tested in a Blackhawk L-2 coupe. This is the only example of this engine known to exist. The car was purchased by the current owner in 2011 and the engine was purchased separately in the same year. Restoration was completed in 2013.