Louis Delage was born in 1874 in the Cognac region of France. His initial foray into the automotive industry was with Peugeot, however it was not long before he left there to open a company of his own. Delage had a passion for racing. He entered early competitions, using four-cylinder engines his company had developed.
The Delage D8-120 was first launched after the merger between Delage and the rival Delahaye Company. The D8-120 has an 8-cylinder, 4.7-liter engine developed from the 6-cylinder Delahaye 135 and mated to a Cotal pre-selector gearbox.
Despite his best efforts, Delage went bankrupt in 1935. They were purchased by Delahaye, and the D8 was one of the early offspring from the merger. It carries a 4.7 liter eight-cylinder engine, developed from the six-cylinder Delahaye 135. It also uses a Cotal pre-selector gearbox.
In many ways the coachwork on this Delage is similar to the Letourner et Marchand-bodied Delage Aerosport Coupe although Vanvooren was a little more restrained. This is one of the last of the D8-120s built before World War II intervened, and although Delage returned after the war only a single D8-120 was built in 1947.