The Chrysler Turbine program began in 1954 and lasted until 1981. There was a total of seven generations of turbine engines. This vehicle has a fifth generation engine. The majority of the turbine engines were installed in standard Chrysler cars and trucks. Only the 1963 Ghia version was specially designed to be powered by a turbine engine. A total of 50 (or as many as 54) Ghia bodied gas turbine cars were built between 1963 and 1964. Most of the vehicles were loaned to members of the general public for a 3 month period. A total of 200 families used the vehicle. Their feedback was overwhelmingly positive. All of the vehicles were painted the 'Turbine Bronze' and had matching interiors.
This vehicle rides on a 110 inch wheelbase and weighs 4,100 pounds. Fuel type consists of kerosene, diesel, JP-4 jet fuel and even ran on perfume and alcohol. The turbine engine was never put into production due to the cost of its manufacture and the fact that fuel economy ratings were never dramatically better than the standard internal combustion engine. At the end of the evaluation period all but 9 of these cars were scrapped due to tax and import tariffs. Of the 9 remaining 3 were kept by Chrysler and one each was given to the other museums. Of these 9, only 5 are in running condition.