Chassis #: 3070
Engine #: 3070
The Maserati 300S was a further development of the 250s that was based directly on the Maserati 250F Grand Prix car that won the 1957 World Championship in the hands of Juan Manuel Fangio. The 300S shared the straight six-cylinder, double overhead camshaft, twin plug per cylinder engine with the Grand Prix car-increased to three liters for the 300S and running at lower compression for greater long distance reliability.
The engine had a claimed output of 250 horsepower and was fitted to a chassis which closely followed the 250F. It had a ladder frame with large diameter main tubes, coil springs and unequal wishbone front suspension and, at the rear, a de Dion axle with a transverse leaf spring. Like its sister car, the 300S had a wonderful reputation for road-holding, but it was often at a disadvantage because it was a 3 liter car racing at a time when there was no upper engine limit. Despite that, it took a great many wins, including victories in World Championship events.
Maserati 300S serial number 3070 was completed in Modena, Italy on February 23, 1957, finished in Maserati Corsa red. Maserati factory records list Italian Primo Pezzoli of Scuderia Guastalla as the ordering customer for 3070 in 1957. Scuderia Guastalla was at the time very competitive in Europe as well as South America. In May of 1958, Scuderia Guastalla ordered the brakes on 3070 to be updated to the new brakes fitted on the 450S. There are only two 300S chassis shown to have been updated in this way by the factory.